• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SolarPCG

Banned via Administration
Especially with the need to add the same formulaic quirky humor and references to other pop culture media notably Doctor Strange of all characters saying "Scooby-Doo this ****" like as if its the best thing they could come up with.

Masterpiece right?

Though IMO I wouldn't say they're terrible just not as good as they once were. Black Widow I thought was decent, Shang-Chi ranges between meh and ok, Eternals was a disappointment and No Way Home, didn't like but I still liked despite some issues.

Maybe its just me but I'm just getting worn out by their same formula at this point, as if they're too afraid to change at the risk of losing their audience who has grown used to it.
I've unfortunately reached the point where I need some sort of subversion or noticable unique direction to really enjoy a movie nowadays. I'm in no way saying mainstream movies are oBjEcTiVeLy bad or anything like that, but they're personally starting to all blend together into a predictable white noise porridge.

Last edited:
I think the lore is really cool!… But the execution is lack luster. It doesn’t ever do much with he lore and sometimes characters will make really out of character decisions because the writers wrote themselves into a corner. There will be times where the entire world is about to be saved but a Hero makes a stupid decision that makes no sense given their personality.
Yeah, I know that modern times are becoming bad.

Linkmain-maybe

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1042-6735-2236
I've unfortunately reached the point where I need some sort of subversion or noticable unique direction to really enjoy a movie nowadays. I'm in no way saying mainstream movies are oBjEcTiVeLy bad or anything like that, but they're personally starting to all blend together into a predictable white noise porridge.
I used to like action movies a lot but I feel they are very predictable. When ever I see an action movie with the Rock or Jason Statham I already know what to expect. The rock has a lot of big set pieces and brawler type Hand to Hand while Jason has more strategic gun fights and more refined hand to hand. Some of them are really good, but I already know what type of scenes I will see.

Then you get Vin Petrol who is virtually invincible and every action scene has some type of vehicle.

FYI, I feel that most movies arent bad because the people are incompetent. I feel its because the movies are rushed and the writers don’t have enough time to refine the movie and analyze flaws.

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Honestly the reason movies are like this is because this formula sells and the corporate higher-ups are too afraid to take risks with their films out of fear that they won't make a quick enough buck.

Personally I don't think every Marvel movie is like this since they usually at least have memorable characters and a world that I keep coming back for (with some exceptions) but I can agree that they can't help but feel corporate a lot of the time

Last edited:

Linkmain-maybe

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1042-6735-2236
Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Beyond MCU, what movies do yall like? I really enjoy psychological horror.
Killer creature films (My favorite type of horror or survival films), Godzilla and kaiju films, action films, etc.

Quite a media buff, so I tend to check out plenty of movies but those tend to be my favorites.

Last edited:

Linkmain-maybe

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1042-6735-2236
I usually enjoy comedy movies. Some of my favorites are Shrek 1 & 2, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, and What We Do in the Shadows.

Also I'm kind of an animation buff, classic DreamWorks and Pixar are my jam
Shrek 1 and 2 are goated. I know the Holy Grail is supposed to be funny but I never got around to watching it. In regards to animation Ratatouille is legit my favorite movie of all time besides Far From Home.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
From what I know, the Australian Aboriginals really had it bad. Like they were treated as "fauna" until the 60s. That's f'd up man.

I don't really blame them one bit today for being very sensitive especially when it comes to their beliefs. Hate to think the horrors they had to go through when it came to European colonization in Australia.

If only people back then were more compassionate perhaps things could have been settled more peacefully. Granted disease also played a part.

Last edited:

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Honestly the reason movies are like this is because this formula sells and the corporate higher-ups are too afraid to take risks with their films out of fear that they won't make a quick enough buck.
This is what works well with Marvel Studios and different films will have different standards in what works best for them. I do believe that they will continue to build and expand upon the universe further with what they had already constructed from the very beginning.

Personally I don't think every Marvel movie is like this since they usually at least have memorable characters and a world that I keep coming back for (with some exceptions) but I can agree that they can't help but feel corporate a lot of the time
Memorable characters usually take some time to build as shown during Phase One of the Marvel Cinematic Universe as a lot of the superheroes that were introduced were mostly considered as "second strings" since they do not quite have the same popualarity in contrast to Spider-Man, X-Men and the Fantastic Four. It did took them time until they eventually became memorable.

I'm pretty certain that Phase Four is going through the same stages as Phase One in which they are introducing new characters and giving them a spotlight which it will too take them time to make them memorable.

Anyways, I am aware that there will be a lot of different opinions regarding to their views on certain film genres whether this is the MCU, DCEU or any other film genre. Some may like it, some may not and I learn to respect their opinions (whether or I agree or disagree with them.)

I'm more into the superhero genre since watching Tobey Maguire's Spider-Man when it was first released in theaters a long time ago.

I also do like to watch animated features too from Disney to Dreamworks and action flick films.

Last edited:

Linkmain-maybe

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1042-6735-2236
I think most of us can seeing as the British Empire occupied about a whole third of the world iirc
1400‘s Bri’ish people upon seeing land that isnt conquered and full of diseases

“OI OI OI WHAT DO ‘E HAV’ ’ERE, SOME BLOKES TRYNA EXIST PEACFULLY WE AINT HAVE THAT ’ERE IN EUROPE.”

Jondolio

Smash Hero
I know the Holy Grail is supposed to be funny but I never got around to watching it.
It's old as **** and it's essentially a hour and a half long sequence of loosely connected events that end up being completely pointless at the end, but it's ****ing hysterical. Watch at your own risk
In regards to animation Ratatouille is legit my favorite movie of all time besides Far From Home.
Ratatouille is a pretty great one. Personally there are other Pixar movies I enjoy way more but I can really appreciate its message.

My favorite Pixar movie is probably either Toy Story 3 or Monsters Inc, for different reasons.

SolarPCG

Banned via Administration
I have a strange obsession with movies that make me go "bro wtf happened". If I were to name specifics, quite literally any Satoshi Kon film and Fantastic Planet come to mind immediately as some of my all time favorites.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Edit: Also long runttime and pacing making a movie much longer then it actually needs to be. The need to make long blockbuster epics. No Way Home did not need to be 2 hours and a half.
I didn't get a response last time, so I'll ask again: how the **** do you shave an hour off of No Way Home?

Linkmain-maybe

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1042-6735-2236
I didn't get a response last time, so I'll ask again: how the **** do you shave an hour off of No Way Home?
You would have to change the whole story. Thing is, if the revised story omits even 1 character is automatically not worth it. So… you don’t shave off an a hour.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom