• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
Seems like Kotaku got Twitter pissed by writing an article about how Dread runs great on emulators.

I mean, idrc if people pirate games in general but damn I guess they're trying to have Nintendo beat their ass.
I mean I think Kotaku is on it's way anyways. Surprised it's still around given the controversy they've had over the years.

Also that's just asking for it.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
It's my headcanon that this is how the animated Injustice movie really ended.

In courtesy of a user on SpaceBattles.

Though that stupid death they gave to Barry gave me an idea for what has to be the best possible ending for the Injusticeverse.

Behold its lord and savior...

Eobard Mother****ing Thawne.

Joker: "Damn. I actually wasn't sure old lightning bolt ears would be enough to fall for that gag. Ah well, bonus points! Now then, on to-

Ominous vibrating noises intensify

Eobard: "Tut tut tut. Oooooh. You should not have done that."

Harley: "Who'da hell are you spose'd ta-"

Eobard: "Yeah, sorry. I don't speak dumb *****."

*Before she even has time to blink, Harley's skull explodes from the hypersonic fist impacting against her face"

Joker: "Oh come on! I was in the middle of something marvelous. Nuclear genocide and all that. Surely a man like you could appreciate that, BackFlash?"

Eobard: "See, I actually was content to just let things play out. You making your mark in history as Edgy McEdgington, the edgiest clown that ever edged. But then you had to go and kill Barry. My Barry. And that just will not do at all."

Joker: "So what, you're gonna smear me across the pavement are you?"

Eobard: "Oh no. I'm not here to kill you. I just came here as a courtesy. To tell you what I have planned for you. In your past that is."

Joker: "My past?"

Eobard: "History is not going to remember the Joker, Batman's greatest arch-nemesis. In fact history probably won't remember you at all. If it does, you'll be little more than a footnote. An even lamer Batman baddie than Maxie Zeus."

Joker: "Y-You can't do that."

Eobard: "I most certainly can, I assure you of that."

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I think it’s funny that a lot of the stuff that was “spoiled” in Dread turned out to be all early game stuff. Very much so, in fact.

I didn’t get to show my completion records on the other 4 Metroid games but I did complete them all before playing Dread and MAN the gameplay of Dread makes me never want to go back. The way they streamlined the morph all, the way Samus moves and controls with the movement options she unlocks, and the amount of tools you have at your disposal so early on is incredible. This game is just fun to run around in. Only two other games have that same feel to it. Doom Eternal and Super Mario Odyssey so it’s poetic that this is kinda a 2D Marriage of the two.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
But you see. Then Disney would need to have been payed licensing for all of their franchises which was clearly never gonna happen.
Well the easiest ay it could have been done is just:

Castle Oblivion then shifts to Destiny islands (Sora's home), then shifts back to the castle, then shifts to Traverse town (Hubworld of the first game), then back to the castle then Hollow bastion (World of Final fantasy) then back to the castle then shifts to Twilight town (Hubworld of the second game) then back to the castle.
Like Pokemon stadium.

I guess that's way too elaborate for a stage given what i assume was the budget at this point in development.

Last edited:

Dutch Raikuna

They're actually kinda annoying because they keep snitching 24/7 and then get the outrage clicks from the results of their snitching.

Capitalism.
Yeah, they are just trying to get Nintendo's attention by pissing off the pirates. I don't pirate games but if they go towards the game music community that's going to be a personal problem from me.

So Kotaku is snitching and telling by postin this **** anyways. Geez talk about wanting to be a teacher's pet.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Out of all the things I could critize Super. I say the one thing I find to be just weird in term of design, is the Spring Ball being so out of the way & late in the game to unlock.

Legit some Morph Ball section would be alot more fun if you got that power-up much earlier.

Beggars can't be chooser I guess.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime

Easily GOTY, my only real issues are Energy Parts being padding and after a back and forth, realizing that bosses don't change colour when fighting them. Other than that, I'd say Metroid's never been better
Yeah, the bosses don't have the best feedback on how much health they have, or if there's something more specific you need to do to defeat them.

Overall, though, it definitely lives up to a 2D Metroid game in 2021. It's big, excellently designed, polished to a sheen, full of both fun callbacks and completely original ideas, and pushes the series forward instead of just repeating some of the same things again.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Yeah, they are just trying to get Nintendo's attention by pissing off the pirates. I don't pirate games but if they go towards the game music community that's going to be a personal problem from me.

So Kotaku is snitching and telling by postin this **** anyways. Geez talk about wanting to be a teacher's pet.
Yeah, and now everyone's arguing with the pirating is morally (in)correct **** and damn I hate this emulation/piracy debate because it comes with the most annoying people on both sides

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Maybe it’s a Butch Hartman thing. That wouldn’t explain Danny Phantom though. Unless Butch is more of a problem with FOP because it lasted longer. He still has creative control on the live action show, so he’s obviously very involved with the franchise.
I think Danny Phantom required getting the okay from Shout Factory instead. They're listed on the title screen.

Reactions: Z25

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Seems like Kotaku got Twitter pissed by writing an article about how Dread runs great on emulators.

I mean, idrc if people pirate games in general but damn I guess they're trying to have Nintendo beat their ass.
Considering how recent the game is it sounds surprising that it would run great on emulators lol

Dutch Raikuna

Yeah, and now everyone's arguing with the pirating is morally (in)correct **** and damn I hate this emulation/piracy debate because it comes with the most annoying people on both sides
Honestly as long as they don't go near the game music community hey can beat the **** out of each other but Kotaku being Kotaku they'd get giddy from telling on big daddy N from it.

We're still in the recovering from losing all the YT channels years ago. Bad enough that Square is going on the purges with them.

And also pirates in general need to soften and fight the tone if they want to get away from it a bit more these days. Call it shared archiving or something.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
It’s just annoying that of all the games Kotaku could promote to be pirated its Metroid.

The one series that fans have wanted to come back for 19 years. The one Nintendo franchise that NEEDS the sales. The one game that is being developed by a rather small outside studio to prove themselves. The one game that fans put their blood, sweat, and tears into promoting themselves.

That’s the game that Kotaku is like “haha this emulates great! You should TOTALLY pirate it instead of buying it! Yeah, piracy!”

Last edited:

Dutch Raikuna

It’s just annoying that of all the games Kotaku could promote to be pirated its Metroid.

The one series that fans have wanted to come back for 19 years. The one Nintendo franchise that NEEDS the sales. The one game that is being developed by a rather small outside studio to prove themselves. The one game that fans put their blood, sweat, and tears into promoting themselves.

That’s the game that Kotaku is like “haha this emulates great! You should TOTALLY pirate it instead of buying it! Yeah, pirates!”
More doing it to get rid of the pirates.

As mentioned I don't really care about fangames or game emulation cause I'm content with it. It's the game music community is where I don't want anyone like them near.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Honestly as long as they don't go near the game music community hey can beat the **** out of each other but Kotaku being Kotaku they'd get giddy from telling on big daddy N from it.

We're still in the recovering from losing all the YT channels years ago. Bad enough that Square is going on the purges with them.

And also pirates in general need to soften and fight the tone if they want to get away from it a bit more these days. Call it shared archiving or something.
I definitely view emulation and piracy as more of an archive of games that would be lost to the sands of time if people didn't go the mile to preserve them. I actually really appreciate it on that front, because art should be for everyone and not vaulted after a certain number of years.

However, piracy is the legal term, so it's not going away. It just sounds ugly tbh.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946

That’s the game that Kotaku is like “haha this emulates great! You should TOTALLY pirate it instead of buying it! Yeah, piracy!”
This was my thoughts exactly when I saw that this morning. Honestly I hope Nintendo threatens legal action against them. They deserve it for straight up encouraging criminal activity on a new release.

Like I’m all for emulation of older games. But to target new games right out of the gate is pretty ****ed up

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
The thing is, people who were planning pirating anyways more than likely weren't gonna buy the game (thus wouldn't touch sales) so like...

Why was that article even created? Nobody's gonna read it and be like "Oh, might as well install Yuzu!" Like they want the outrage over an anthill.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Oh yeah SnakeFighter64 SnakeFighter64 will interest you:
There was a problem fetching the tweet

However do read the replies, because the person they posted said there are other issues for Timmy. Which is odd given the live action show.
That live action show might be the other issues. Or it might have something to do with Drake Bell. Oh well. I’d be down for Cosmo and Wanda by themselves.

Reactions: Z25

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I definitely view emulation and piracy as more of an archive of games that would be lost to the sands of time if people didn't go the mile to preserve them. I actually really appreciate it on that front, because art should be for everyone and not vaulted after a certain number of years.

However, piracy is the legal term, so it's not going away. It just sounds ugly tbh.
Also it just makes it more accessible to people in regions where everything is mad overpriced and/or isn't necessarily sold officially.
People like going on about how old games cost an arm and a leg but you'll find that brand new games can cost just as much in certain regions.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Now that I beat the game and have fully experienced the story and world I was able to have a good look at the Dread concept art and HOLY ****ING HELL this artwork is god tier!

The artwork for the environment designs and creature designs chef's kiss This is the sort of stuff I live for!

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Also it just makes it more accessible to people in regions where everything is mad overpriced and/or isn't necessarily sold officially.
People like going on about how old games cost an arm and a leg but you'll find that brand new games can cost just as much in certain regions.
I know in some places in Latin America games straight up cost a kidney and game companies really don't give a ****, like iirc Sega upped the price of Forces (lmao) in Latin America.

People can get mad at pirates for whatever reason, but the way I see it, it's an accessability issue first and foremost.

Dutch Raikuna

I mean it technically is. It's not stealing but more copying for preservation.

Still companies should not view it as the be all and end all as it starts a slippery slope that we are on and leads to a full-on corporatisation of the internet. In fact this **** is one of the reasons why I'm trying to push away from the internet these days.

Just the community on that should really try hard to revise the word to something like shared archiving and fight for it. I mean, politicians do it all the time for a lot of things but I'm not going to go there in detail. You guys know what I mean.

What pisses me off the most is when companies take down things for when it's not even in there country.

If it was up to me I'd be digging the saying "piracy is a service problem" 1984 style into every lawyer, corporate stakeholder, record label, CEO, games, animation, film company and force them to sit chained until they ****ing get in their heads.

Cause for every take down they do of a piracy site just feels like a **** you to a community that wants to be passionate about something but can't. A spit in the face and the holders would be like "well.................be born rich next time or live in a different place." as a reaction.

In short my friend this is a topic that I am passionate about for a reason ever since Nintendo took down those music channels a few years back. Pisses me off for every threat or every wannabe wants to tattle on the pirates.

This was my thoughts exactly when I saw that this morning. Honestly I hope Nintendo threatens legal action against them. They deserve it for straight up encouraging criminal activity on a new release.

Like I’m all for emulation of older games. But to target new games right out of the gate is pretty ****ed up
Kotaku should have died years ago. I'm surprised they are still a thing,

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
I don't really know much about the whole "Piracy good VS Piracy bad" situation, but honestly, for me it kinda just boils down to this: If you're pirating a game that's been lost to time, or isn't being sold anymore that's just preservation. If you're pirating a game that like, just dropped, then you probably just don't wanna pay money for it.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
If you're pirating a game that like, just dropped, then you probably just don't wanna pay money for it.
People say that they pirate new games because moral correctness, but nah, they're actually just ****ing broke and don't wamna pay. Which is fair, I mean I don't wanna pay for Crunchyroll despite liking some anime because I'm poor.

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I didnt know there was an effective Switch emulator in existance.
Yuzu (the emulator in question) is making big strides. The Switch is gradually more and more going to see emulation skyrocket thanks to some of the deepest parts of it's OS being rooted in Linux.

Plus, the chips that NVidia and AMD are putting into consoles nowadays are basically just making them just pre-built PCs. The closer they keep getting to that PC architecture they need to give people buzz word numbers and all the bells and whistles graphics, the easier emulation is going to become.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
That live action show might be the other issues. Or it might have something to do with Drake Bell. Oh well.
Snake, that's mental gymnastics. I doubt it had anything to do with Drake Bell. We surely ain't seeing Spider-Man not doing anything because of him.

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
I firmly believe that pirating old gen games that aren't available on modern systems is perfectly fine if you don't have access to them. I keep my Wii U around specifically so that I can get some of them legally. If Nintendo wants me to pay for them Gamecube games tho, they have to make them readily available.

That said I think their attitude towards fangames and mods is absolutely indefensible

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
That said I think their attitude towards fangames and mods is absolutely indefensible
I think Rockstar's even worse about it now. They're going to take down the original versions of GTAIII/VC/SA when the definitive editions come out, and the definitive editions are believed to be on a new engine and therefore won't work with the past 20 years' worth of mods.

Dutch Raikuna

People say that they pirate new games because moral correctness, but nah, they're actually just ****ing broke and don't wamna pay. Which is fair, I mean I don't wanna pay for Crunchyroll despite liking some anime because I'm poor.
For me I try to go half and half.

Anime: Have Crunchyroll and the high seas for ones not on it. (I've talked to a few in that community and they have pulled out all the stops to prevent copyrighters from going after them). I do rip some anime openings as well.

TV and Film: Not too bothered on them. Can always get Disney Plus or Netflix.

Games: Never would and what I like I have.

Music: Game and anime music I rip and go very, very paranoid about safe-keeping. I've stuff that were taken down five years ago.
It's the whole connected to the Internet thing with Spotify that annoys me and I'm not paying $100 for something like Laid Back Camp's soundtrack.

If I'm travelling through somewhere remote I need that music to keep me going even if I was in something like the edge of Russia.

However its gonna get harder and harder to do all this. **** them.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
I think Rockstar's even worse about it now. They're going to take down the original versions of GTAIII/VC/SA when the definitive editions come out, and the definitive editions are believed to be on a new engine and therefore won't work with the past 20 years' worth of mods.
God I hate it when game companies do that ****
It's a game preservationist's nightmare

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Hey

You wanna raise that gsp?

When Sora drops, the online is gonna be filled with Sora players who have no idea what they’re doing. Grab your main, and go to town.
I want to do that and see if i can actually get Mythra into elite smash, i'm so damn close but Ganondorf players keep keeping me out of it.
But at the same time i want to try maining Sora since he WAS my most wanted going into Ultimate...

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master

Easily GOTY, my only real issues are Energy Parts being padding and after a back and forth, realizing that bosses don't change colour when fighting them. Other than that, I'd say Metroid's never been better
I will say that so far, it's the hardest and most obtuse Metroid game I've played lol. Right now I'm stuck on the underwater boss but by now I've figured out that i just need to replay as many times as I need to, to figure out what I'm actually supposed to be doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom