• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
Gen 2 is a generation I love

But when it falls on its face, it leaves skidmarks.

The music, new mons, and atmosphere of Johto are amazing

But my god the level scaling is just TERRIBLE.

The whole ****ery with Pryce/Jasmine/Chuck's levels is a cool concept...IN THEORY.... but the game needed to have scaling levels to work around tackling them in any order. You can crush Pryce, Leader 7 mind you, and then do 5 and 6 in any order, or do 6 and then 7 and 5, or... the problem is they're hilariously weak since they let you tackle them in any order, and they don't scale to rectify this.

And as much as I love Kanto being there... why are almost all the Gym leaders weaker than the Elite 4? This is the sodding postgame. Only Blue serves any form of challenge.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

First trial item. Not really anything special, either. The actual Optic' Eye will be a lot better. I'll probably outline the design then apply full colors/grayscale later. It's a very huge palette(I think, logically, 64 colors? Might be more. I didn't count).

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

The whole ****ery with Pryce/Jasmine/Chuck's levels is a cool concept...IN THEORY.... but the game needed to have scaling levels to work around tackling them in any order. You can crush Pryce, Leader 7 mind you, and then do 5 and 6 in any order, or do 6 and then 7 and 5, or... the problem is they're hilariously weak since they let you tackle them in any order, and they don't scale to rectify this.

And as much as I love Kanto being there... why are almost all the Gym leaders weaker than the Elite 4? This is the sodding postgame. Only Blue serves any form of challenge.
You know what else is bad? The rate at which new Pokemon were distributed both among the game and the anime. Sentret's the new Rattata but is on only two routes, a good chunk of new evolutions/babies are postgame, etc. I swear having to look at Kanto Pokemon more than Johto ones while playing GS was more responsible for 151 purists than the quality of any Pokemon after them.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806

You can do Kanto gyms out of order too. I remember doing everything at Saffron City before Celadon and Fuchsia and my Pokemon were insanely overpowered for everything else.

I've never considered doing the Johto gyms out of order, that just sounds like pointless backtracking to tackle gyms earlier/later.

The Kanto gym leaders sans Janine and Blue have Pokemon on par of the Elite Four, aside from maybe the number the own. It's at least cool to go through them all. Unless you grind or have boosted exp. you shouldn't get too much stronger then them. Really they all help set up for the fight against Red.

Shroob

Sup?
You know what else is bad? The rate at which new Pokemon were distributed both among the game and the anime. Sentret's the new Rattata but is on only two routes, a good chunk of new evolutions/babies are postgame, etc. I swear having to look at Kanto Pokemon more than Johto ones while playing GS was more responsible for 151 purists than the quality of any Pokemon after them.
Insert Gru meme

"Introduce new type!"

"Make it a direct counter to the strongest type of Gen 1!"

"It's only catchable in the postgame."

DerpingPikachu

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5074-6946-5113
Pokemon?

Well I got a DS super late so Gen 3 is what I grew up with.

Spent years tryna 100% the national dex in Ruby before the game corrupted itself. Good times.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Insert Gru meme

"Introduce new type!"

I'm pretty sure you can get Umbreon early on at least.

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
For me in regards to Pokémon, Diamond and Pearl Remakes are the absolute last chance for the series to grab my interest. It fails to impress me, I'm 100 percent done with the series.

I'm still annoyed about the Sword and Shield DLC and how the Pokémon equivalent of Ireland wasn't included as an idea. You wish for your country to be included in a game guys. It ain't as famous as America or Japan or London but came so close but so far.

Still gonna get New Pokemon Snap though day 1.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I mean yeah

But

It's Umbreon

....Boi I've just pissed off a sizeable amount of people haven't I.
nah it's 'kay

tbh I don't like how EVERY SINGLE post-Kanto Eeveelution gets rid of its fur collar. Odd thing to dislike but it still bothers me.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Sure you can. Goldenrod Bill gives you one.
Ah, right.

Still, you have to talk to Bill in Ecruteak and then go back to Goldenrod, so I still wouldn't call that the early game.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Insert Gru meme

"Introduce new type!"

Excuuuse me, you can get Umbreon beforehand and Sneasel in the Ice Path in Crystal lol.

That was kind of weird having Johto Pokemon that could only be found in Kanto. Then also wild Pokemon in Kanto having the levels as if they were encountered in Gen I's story meant you were unlikely to use them.

I guess at least you also had Steel type to resist Psychic attacks, Ghost type was changed to be super effective and not useless against them, common dark type moves and some actual bug type moves that can deal damage.
Ah, right.

Still, you have to talk to Bill in Ecruteak and then go back to Goldenrod, so I still wouldn't call that the early game.
It's after the third gym. It was early enough for me to use it on my last Gold playthrough and have it evolve into Espeon early enough to learn some decent moves.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I'm considering importing a copy of Yokai watch 4 because this conversation about Pokemon has reminded me of that games existence.

It's the best looking monster catching game on the market right now, too bad i won't be able to really enjoy it, i can't read Japanese lol
You don't get an Eevee until Kanto.
You get it in Goldenrod.

Shroob

Sup?
Excuuuse me, you can get Umbreon beforehand and Sneasel in the Ice Path in Crystal lol.

That was kind of weird having Johto Pokemon that could only be found in Kanto. Then also wild Pokemon in Kanto having the levels as if they were encountered in Gen I's story meant you were unlikely to use them.

I guess at least you also had Steel type to resist Psychic attacks, Ghost type was changed to be super effective and not useless against them, common dark type moves and some actual bug type moves that can deal damage.

It's after the third gym. It was early enough for me to use it on my last Gold playthrough and have it evolve into Espeon early enough to learn some decent moves.
I mean lowkey tho

Who tf is using Sneasel in gen 2. That **** was useless until Gen 4 split the stats lol.

At least Houndoom was useable.... but you could only get it in Kanto..... Which is ****ing weird because Growlithe and Vulpix were version exclusives iirc... why couldn't they ****ing swap places with Houndour on the map.

And then there's Murkrow.......... moving on.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Also the fact that dark was Special still hurts my brain

Yes, please give us a counter to Psychic types, they were soo broken in Gen 1.... What's that? Dark's a special type? And Psychics usually have extremely high special defense? Are you sure it's Special? Bite and Crunch aren't Physical.....? Okay....

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I mean lowkey tho

Who tf is using Sneasel in gen 2. That **** was useless until Gen 4 split the stats lol.

At least Houndoom was useable.... but you could only get it in Kanto..... Which is ****ing weird because Growlithe and Vulpix were version exclusives iirc... why couldn't they ****ing swap places with Houndour on the map.

And then there's Murkrow.......... moving on.
Sneasel fans used Sneasel. Had a friend absolutely obsessed with it. So yeah, people who just play the games casually will use whoever.

I honestly never really heard of anyone getting competitive with Pokemon during Gen I and II until recently. It wasn't until high school that people would start talking about the mechanics, everyone I knew was very casual. Now though, I have a friend from Hong Kong who basically makes everyone out to be that Asian gamer stereotype. I told him how I beat Red with a team of Pokemon all below level 50 becuase y'know, everyone else talks about grinding for it but he was like, who gives a ****. Back in Hong Kong all anyone ever did in kindergarten was EV train their Pokemon. Red's a piece of cake to him.

I honestly have no real interest in going that deep into Pokemon myself. I'm just happy catching everything and beating the games. Really only bothering to check up stuff for the early gens now because the Stadium games are git gud or go home.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Also the fact that dark was Special still hurts my brain

Yes, please give us a counter to Psychic types, they were soo broken in Gen 1.... What's that? Dark's a special type? And Psychics usually have extremely high special defense? Are you sure it's Special? Bite and Crunch aren't Physical.....? Okay....
And people say GameFreak is incompetent now, truth is, they never were competent /s

Noipoi

Howdy!
And people say GameFreak is incompetent now, truth is, they never were competent /s
They’re the guy who, every once in a while, does something radical. But for the most part he’s just kinda alright/a disappointment, but you don’t quit him cuz he was rad before and you know he could be again if he tried.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Pokemon Stadium fixed several glitches and that was thanks to Iwata who managed to port the battle system in a week without having the proper design docs from Game Freak.

Thankfully even with the errors, the game is still playable. RPGs back then had a lot of uhh, need for more polish. It certainly beat having to know which equipment or spells were bugged in Final Fantasy.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
ok so I did some tier lists...and...if ya wanna look at em for your favorite disappointment
E3D66D45-3B89-455A-830E-3DBB99615FB9.jpeg
83A4A2D9-735B-4FA2-B513-381418566795.jpeg
2E454842-37FB-4129-983C-AF9B6658D1B3.jpeg

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Sometimes I take the fact you dont have to turn off your game to put the console into sleep mode for granted. I dkont wanna save terraria because idk if Ill regret it with being in hardmode and Im like "oh, i could just...pause the game and put the switch in sleep mode"

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Also Missingno..

Yeah Mew being no. 151 was cool and all but hearing people talk about a 152nd Pokemon was some awesome stuff.

Lot more down to Earth and well, real, than Pokegod talk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom