• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Or.............and maybe hear me out on this shocker, the reason why the game was so popular was because of it's story, music and atmosphere. Not to mention the fact that with their one shot camera the entire game they also did something really, really damn groundbreaking in all of media that not even Hollywood is still able to do properly, with the exception of Hitchcock and 1917.

Also the fact that they matured a character who was basically a greek Hulk with an overclocked sex and gore drive into a grieving father who has now realised how ****ed his actions are and not wanting to pass it onto his son.

And gameplay and open world? For the latter the game is clearly not. If anything it's more like a "spider legs" sprawling out from the main lake. Not exactly open world when more linear with the return to hub option.

The reason why the gameplay works of it helps you get closer to the character and well, over the shoulder is kinda normal these days. Think the game would be a bit frowned upon if it went with the fixed camera angles of the originals.

No offence but that is a bit of an unworkable idea. That's like someone wanting Breath of the Wild to take out all of the wilderness and make it like it's an endless corridor between the main landmarks. It just can't work.
They could have done all that while still keeping it God of War. The combo stystem? Gone. The huge arsenal of different weapons you steal from the gods you fight? Gone. The huge variety of actual mythic monsters and gods as the enemies and bosses? Gone. The ability to friggin jump. Gone.
That sounds more like an issue with a particular open world game than a gripe with the entire genre. Which was what I was suspecting.

True, but that doesn't mean you always have to look at the negative. You can look at all the deaths caused by covid... or you can look at all the good changes it's brought instead, to name an example.

I don't want to come off as rude but quite frankly that's a terrible idea. The entire point of an open world game is the freedom of exploration; adding a mode that removes that entirely just to cater to a very small minority of people(aka you) kinda defeats the purpose of making it an open world game in the first place.

To go back to the racing game analogy, a random racing game you pick up off the store isn't gonna have a "platformer mode" because why would they make a racing game in the first place if they are gonna have an entire separate game attached to it?
so then stop spreading it into every god damn game then! not every game needs to be open world! Let some of them stay linear and then I won't complain anymore! Just stop putting it into every series right as I'm actually starting to like it!

D

Deleted member

Btw, are the artists of the thread still pissed/upset at me over getting dissapointed for not being noticed at all on the Metroid conversation from last night?

Or that whole conflict was just something my depressed mind filled with anxiety came up with from all the mental stress I have right now?

Hopefully the latter.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Btw, are the artists of the thread still pissed/upset at me over getting dissapointed for not being noticed at all on the Metroid conversation from last night?

Or that whole conflict was just something my depressed mind filled with anxiety came up with from all the mental stress I have right now?

Hopefully the latter.
Screenshot_20201230-124849.png

Let's not do this again, JD.

Noipoi

Howdy!
They could have done all that while still keeping it God of War. The combo stystem? Gone. The huge arsenal of different weapons you steal from the gods you fight? Gone. The huge variety of actual mythic monsters and gods as the enemies and bosses? Gone. The ability to friggin jump. Gone.

so then stop spreading it into every god damn game then! not every game needs to be open world! Let some of them stay linear and then I won't complain anymore! Just stop putting it into every series right as I'm actually starting to like it!
Open World actually suits the Pokémon series quite well. The experience of running into the wild and discovering Pokémon is what the series was always supposed to be about.

And not every game is open world, so quit your whining.

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
Kratos: "Ah yes, let me rip off the head of a god again. That'll teach my son not to be like me. Or let me rip off this guys wings off." You have to remember when the story connects to the gameplay and thematics as well. Why do you think the main message of the game is "Do not be sorry, be better."

Honestly Snake, you have to remember this is the first game in new saga. Of course not everything is going to be there. Also no combos? Still are with the button commands and such.

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
So. Make. Options. Have a bunch of invisible walls or even physical walls and roadblocks that only show up if you select "linear mode" and have it also remove the whole "pokemon only spawn in certain weather conditions" thing.
The open world formula is literally a formula built around giving the player options. My literal biggest pet peeve with highly linear games is when I try to explore and the game just throws random invisible walls in my face. I have no problem with linearity but it needs to be handled correctly. Xenoblade Chronicles is probably one of the best examples of a game that handles a linear/open world experience properly because it still gives you the freedom to **** around for hours at a time or to just run through the game's story driven plot.

Pokemon as a franchise is one that can benefit greatly from giving the player more freedom. That doesn't mean the game can't be linear at all. Instead of railroading down one specific path throughout the whole game it can open up a lot more possibilities as you progress. It will also give players more unique experiences through playing the game. The first few generations did something similar when you progress that allowed to explore different routes at certain times, but games like SwSh may as well be a straight hallway with no actual options for progressing forward.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Can't fault game developers for wanting to tackle a genre that a lot of people vibe with. Besides, there are plenty of open world games that are incredibly distinct from each other and offer interesting and unique experiences despite following a similar concept.

D

Deleted member

Snake... there's like not even 100 open world games out there right now(iirc anyway)I don't think you need to worry too much about that

Last edited by a moderator:

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Open World actually suits the Pokémon series quite well. The experience of running into the wild and discovering Pokémon is what the series was always supposed to be about.

And not every game is open world, so quit your whining.
While Sw/Sh wasn't exactly my cup of tea, I did enjoy the wild areas for exactly that reason. Pokémon is about exploration, having a truly free roam area like that is a big step in the right direction, in my opinion.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
SW-6660-1506-8804
Pokemon's almost always been somewhat open anyway.
You can beat the leaders after Misty and before Giovanni in almost any order in Kanto, but Blaine always follows Koga because of Surf. You can even do this in LGPE.
Johto lets you do Chuck, Jasmine and Pryce out of order. There's also how you tackle Kanto in the post game but Blue is always last.
Hoenn let you skip Brawly so long as you beat him before Norman and you could do Winona later and there's even dialogue from Juan/Wallace if you beat them before you beat her.
In DP (maybe Platinum too, not sure on this) you could beat Wake before Maylene.

Unova and Kalos forced you to do them in order but Unova had really good dungeons and routes to explore anyway whilst Kalos is Kalos.
I think Alola let you do the second island's trials in whatever order you liked but I'm not 100% sure on that.
Galar of course has the wild areas.

Pokemon being "open" is nothing new.

Dutch Raikuna

I should change my pfp to something else......but it's not a Saturday.

Can't fault game developers for wanting to tackle a genre that a lot of people vibe with. Besides, there are plenty of open world games that are incredibly distinct from each other and offer interesting and unique experiences despite following a similar concept.
My friend here speaks the truth.

Look open worlds exist. You don't them, play it for a different reason or look for other games.

Though that being said, Sectioned Open World games like Xenoblade are far better than the one map only like BOTW to me. Actually feels like you're travelling the world on a grand adventure compared to running around the one map. Feels like there is more out there.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
While I Sw/Sh wasn't exactly my cup of tea, I did enjoy the wild areas for exactly that reason. Pokémon is about exploration, having a truly free roam area like that is a big step in the right direction, in my opinion.
I’ve already decided I’m not getting the next Pokémon game if it’s not fully open world.

And I’m Mr. Pokémon. So Y’know.

Noipoi Noipoi if they ever make a 100% open-world Pokémon Game I really hope they hire the people behind New Pokémon Snap.

That game so far seems visually sweet.
The thing with new Pokémon Snap is that it’s railroaded, so the game can look better than usual.

That doesn’t excuse Sw/Sh’s lack of graphical polish, the next generation better look improved or I’m gonna be mad.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I'll take that as a "yes, it's all in my mind".

Good to know, we have prevented any kind of bad thing.
Just chillax, brah.

I'm not heavily acknowledged in every discussion that involves one of my biggest interests like, say, Metroid and Persona, but I don't hold it against anyone because nobody is obligated to include me or approve of my opinions. You gotta stop taking this so personally sometimes.

D

Deleted member

Just chillax, brah.

I'm not heavily acknowledged in every discussion that involves one of my biggest interests like, say, Metroid and Persona, but I don't hold it against anyone because nobody is obligated to include me or approve of my opinions. You gotta stop taking this so personally sometimes.
Yeah, that is really true.

I do feel all the stuff from these past weeks have messed with my head a lot, and I did some research and It seems getting frustrated over minor stuff is one of the effects of having anxiety attacks or episodes.

Maybe I just need to cool down my time online until I finally have dealt with most of my IRL issues.

Dutch Raikuna

That too.

Namco must have loads of money from all the licensed games and the gazillion amounts of Pac-Man and Gundam merch.
If only they could make some decent licensed games considering the anime properties they have the rights of. Looks at Madoka Magica.

How does that work?!
They accidently cut a guy in half. Or hired a kid. Both works.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Open worlds for life and death to linearity.
we uh.... never said that? this entire argument(if you can really call it that) has been talking about how open world games aren't this huge behemoth of trash: it's just another genre on top of.. what? 20, 30 others?

but I've had enough of this too.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Yeah, that is really true.

I do feel all the stuff from these past weeks have messed with my head a lot, and I did some research and It seems getting frustrated over minor stuff is one of the effects of having anxiety attacks or episodes.

Maybe I just need to cool down my time online until I finally have dealt with most of my IRL issues.
Hey, whatever works best for ya man.

I hope you don't think I was also ignoring you last night; I was just prepping for work and didn't have much sleep to work with.

D

Deleted member

All I honestly hope for with the Gen 4 remakes is that they bring back the Distortion World and the islands of Darkrai and Cresselia.

Those were my favourite things from those games.

I hope you don't think I was also ignoring you last night; I was just prepping for work and didn't have much sleep to work with.
Yeah, it's all cool my friend.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I just finished Hackers memory...

I know some of the people on here are playing through the Digimon story duology, ya'll aren't prepared for this games ending.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
OK. Fine. I'm wrong. Like usual. Open worlds for life and death to linearity. I'm takin a nap.
You know you could concede this in a more mature way. You’re not being forced at gunpoint to like these games. And need I remind you that you brought all this up in the first place.

Dutch Raikuna

I mean hey some days I feel like I'm being ignored here but I'm trying to not get my emotions the better of me on that. I have warned you guys that during this lockdown (which will end in February) but so far it hasn't happened. Maybe it's me playing Persona that has kept that at bay so far.

It's tough and honestly, I actually envy people who are in a job right now or in education despite the circumstances going off topic.

OK. Fine. I'm wrong. Like usual. Open worlds for life and death to linearity. I'm takin a nap.
No offence but that's kinda childish of a reaction. You lost a debate to the majority. You tried and that's commendable but acting like that isn't going to help improve yourself.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

On the topic of the Distortion World possibly returning for Gen 4 remakes, how would ya'll feel if they turned It into some sort of Wild Area?

If done properly It could make for some interesting reimaginings of the Uxie, Mesprit and Azelf puzzles.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
My biggest complaint with Hackers Memory is that there's so much butterfly symbolism, at many points in the game, the game uses the same butterfly story that the Persona series uses for it's series.
it's like the developers are begging to use the first opening of the anime in this game but they don't pull the trigger, the song never pops up

Noipoi

Howdy!
All I want for gen 4 remakes is for them to be rad. And include Platinum content.

And a good Cynthia redesign.
On the topic of the Distortion World possibly returning for Gen 4 remakes, how would ya'll feel if they turned It into some sort of Wild Area?

If done properly It could make for some interesting reimaginings of the Uxie, Mesprit and Azelf puzzles.
I was thinking Mt Coronet for a possible Wild Area, but the distortion world sounds cool too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom