• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
You playing TLOU1 or 2?
having to play 1 first, despite knowing the ending for it...and of course the epic moment everyone loved from 2...obviously thanks to Abby playing the role of Laura Bailey

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
When Cloud was revealed they referenced this scene but used Ike instead. Now we can do the real thing!
I feel like they used Ike more cause Great Aether was obviously an Omnislash clone.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I feel like they used Ike more cause Great Aether was obviously an Omnislash clone.
Indeed, plus Ike's idle stance is the closest to Sephiroth's signature stance.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Thanks for the offer, but I don't need anything in return. I don't have online anyway, so I wouldn't be able to trade.
Looks like Customer Service is a dead end. Ended up following some instructions on a quick Youtube video and downloaded a free VPN extension through the Google Chrome store and got a code from Gamestop Germany. Was surprisingly easy and the VPN didn't even require an email to use (just for Premium accounts).

Definitely hold on to your extra code for someone else now who could use it. Looking through Twitter, I'm kind of amazed at how badly NA TPC messed up.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I legitimately have no idea if using a laptop while it's charging is harmful to it or not, but im doing it anyway.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I legitimately have no idea if using a laptop while it's charging is harmful to it or not, but im doing it anyway.
Shouldn't be a problem. But its not good for the battery to keep it plugged in when its fully charged though. Pretty much the same for most devices.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Ever stop and think about how we don’t have a lot of the good Sonic games on Switch? Like, we have Mania, and the inferior versions of Sonic 1 and 2. Like, seriously. Sonic needs himself some remakes and/or collections and ports to get like... his entire library on to switch.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Ever stop and think about how we don’t have a lot of the good Sonic games on Switch? Like, we have Mania, and the inferior versions of Sonic 1 and 2. Like, seriously. Sonic needs himself some remakes and/or collections and ports to get like... his entire library on to switch.
Just port Sonic adventure 2 for the love of god.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
You don’t have to like it, but others like it and find it fun, including its visuals (which are not lazy, it’s a pixel art style). You don’t have to understand exactly why, but just understand not everyone likes or dislikes the same things. My explanation though is that people like its style and the fact that they can build, explore, etc. just about whatever and however they want whether with their friends or alone, the only limit being their creativity.

Though I personally don’t understand the idea that videogames have to “deserve” their popularity or iconic status. They’re games, people like them, who cares. Arguing if their company deserves praise is another story, though I can assure you the developers and other members of Mojang definitely deserve praise for being transparent/open to and interactive with their community, and many seem like fine folks who actually care about their fans and like their job.

Although Mojang’s higherups cut their employees’ $12k winter and summer bonuses, unfortunately, so the higherups are questionable in that case :/

As for Steve, since I feel I should explain him, people like him because they like his design and whatever little bits of personality Mojang has given him in trailers and instagram stuff and whatever other media, while also being attached to him as the face of their favorite game and however they’ve interpreted his character, so they love him anyway despite not much being established about him. Like how someone may imagine how their toy they’ve had for a long time is as its own character if it’s not based on any established character in particular, and so they love the toy anyway. At least, that’s how I view things.
Pixel art in 2D? Can be really detailed and takes a lot of time to make look good. Not as good as clean vectored drawings, but can be pretty choice.

Pixel art in 3D? Lazy. You just made a bunch of blocks and flat undetailed textures.

As for being creative with it and doing literally anything with it, I don’t understand why this medium of all the potential mediums gets so much praise. I had it on Xbox for a few years before selling it back and I found the control scheme extremely unintuitive. And I just didn’t think about creating in a way that made minecraft useable. When I want to create I use a pencil and paper, and I’ll get results that are far more in line with what I actually wanted to make then anything I could ever build in minecraft. I just don’t understand the logic that makes it an option worth utilizing for that kind of thing. I don’t think I really even can. And the fact that the game is old enough that I’m actually thinking about using nostalgia as a potential reason makes me want to scream and throw things.

When you grow up liking things that almost never get any sort of real major public spotlight, and in fact the small group of people you live with actively bully you for liking it, and then something becomes extremely popular that you not only don’t like but can not mentally comprehend why other people do, because when you are told their reasons you’re like “that doesn’t make sense though!”, you’re going to become a little resentful. You’re going to wish that something you actually did understand was getting all the attention and praise. Because then maybe you’re be in the in crowd and actually have people to talk to. That’s what I mean when I say I don’t think Minecraft deserves it’s iconic status. Nothing about it’s popularity makes sense. As a weird survival video game, there are so many better options that do what it does and do it better AND do much more. Ditto for it as a creative medium.

But that explanation of Steve and why people like him actually is the first one I’ve ever scene that actually makes any sense. So I thank you for gifting me a greater understanding on that front. Much appreciated.

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
Well woke up at 6am without much sleep.

I can already tell its gonna be a **** day. So best make the most of it I suppose.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
man Sephiroth got an edgy song...yet it also feels badass and wholesome enough to go around nearly killing innocent plumbers with an unreasonably long as **** sword

D

Deleted member

I decided to look back at old posts during Steve's reveal, and yeah...

It was extremely fantastic. Like before Steve's reveal, if you even told me that Steve would get a Mii Costume, I would be very doubtful. I never expected Steve, at all.

I'm just so happy he is in. I do not have to worry about my most wanted characters not getting in anymore. Like Phoenix Wright and the Terrarian would be amazing, but the latter seems near impossible, and Phoenix Wright has competition against Dante and Monster Hunter. But I'm fine, because I have Steve. That is all I ever wanted.

Steve in Smash has really brought me into Minecraft again, so that is cool.

Also, Steve is next to Sephiroth in the Fighter's select. Cloud can team up with Joker to fight Sephiroth and Ridley while Minecraft Villagers watch them do so. How cool is that?

Last edited by a moderator:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Nintendo should just keep a running list of all the games they’ve published/own that aren’t currently on Switch in any capacity and have people vote for which ones should get ported over.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Pixel art in 2D? Can be really detailed and takes a lot of time to make look good. Not as good as clean vectored drawings, but can be pretty choice.

Pixel art in 3D? Lazy. You just made a bunch of blocks and flat undetailed textures.

As for being creative with it and doing literally anything with it, I don’t understand why this medium of all the potential mediums gets so much praise. I had it on Xbox for a few years before selling it back and I found the control scheme extremely unintuitive. And I just didn’t think about creating in a way that made minecraft useable. When I want to create I use a pencil and paper, and I’ll get results that are far more in line with what I actually wanted to make then anything I could ever build in minecraft. I just don’t understand the logic that makes it an option worth utilizing for that kind of thing. I don’t think I really even can. And the fact that the game is old enough that I’m actually thinking about using nostalgia as a potential reason makes me want to scream and throw things.

When you grow up liking things that almost never get any sort of real major public spotlight, and in fact the small group of people you live with actively bully you for liking it, and then something becomes extremely popular that you not only don’t like but can not mentally comprehend why other people do, because when you are told their reasons you’re like “that doesn’t make sense though!”, you’re going to become a little resentful. You’re going to wish that something you actually did understand was getting all the attention and praise. Because then maybe you’re be in the in crowd and actually have people to talk to. That’s what I mean when I say I don’t think Minecraft deserves it’s iconic status. Nothing about it’s popularity makes sense. As a weird survival video game, there are so many better options that do what it does and do it better AND do much more. Ditto for it as a creative medium.

But that explanation of Steve and why people like him actually is the first one I’ve ever scene that actually makes any sense. So I thank you for gifting me a greater understanding on that front. Much appreciated.
I’m not sure how else to explain it, then; people liking its blocky style and doing a bunch of different things with it, enjoying its kind of survival and creative stuffs, is all I can think of. It’s definitely a good creative medium, though; people have made many awesome things with it, including fun games within the game, or have even remade games like Pac-Man and Pokémon Red. There was even a cool Minecraft version of Super Smash Bros. (Super Craft Bros. by SethBling, and at least a couple of others have their own take on the idea) People also like building pixel art, huge monuments, statues + landscapes, etc. with it.

Maybe its art style is “lazy,” idk, but their artist puts effort into making each voxel look good. Imo, they’re all very nice. I personally like the art style, and having made texturepacks for the game myself, I would say it definitely isn’t lazy (though mine technically are lazy, as I make simple ones or use a tool, though sometimes I’ll try and put more effort into a texture; even making simpler textures feels like it takes time, though, still wanting them to look nice and having to texture everything).

I don’t think people liking it needs to “make sense,” as opinions don’t require any objective or factual sense aside from what they’re based on actually existing, but I respect your opinion of it. Beyond all this, I’m really not sure how else to explain. Maybe like this one car meme I saw once; “This is fantastic,” (saying that about a fancier-lookin’ car) “but I like this!” (saying that about a car that doesn’t seem as nice) If not that, idk.

And you’re welcome for the Steve explanation.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

You don’t have to like it, but others like it and find it fun
Thank you.

Like Person A is allowed to dislike a game that Person B really likes. But Person A trying to drag pessimism into Person B for enjoying the game just irks me so much.

Although Mojang’s higherups cut their employees’ $12k winter and summer bonuses, unfortunately, so the higherups are questionable in that case :/
Aww, that's a huge bummer. Thought they are a large company, so it is expected for the higher ups to be jerks. Quite a shame.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
I wonder if I'm being too annoying by being here all the time.

Also feeling pissed off at the moment, family went out without asking me. Great way to push your member away. Probably way I was needed to grab stuff as well.

Well I suppose I should get cracking at Persona 5 Royal then. Make some use after the phone calls and errands.

How's the rest of you guys?

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Elevator pitch: A new SEGA console with no new games on it. But it can play Master System, Genesis, Game Gear, SEGA CD, 32X, Saturn, and Dreamcast games. Heck, throw in the SG-100 while we're at it! HDMI out, multiple controller varients representing each system (though will work with all of the games for it, provided it has enough buttons) and a digital store for buying games you don't have physical copies of.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I wonder if I'm being too annoying by being here all the time.

Also feeling pissed off at the moment, family went out without asking me. Great way to push your member away. Probably way I was needed to grab stuff as well.

Well I suppose I should get cracking at Persona 5 Royal then. Make some use after the phone calls and errands.

How's the rest of you guys?
Just trying to perk up with my morning cup of Joe and getting ready for work. I need to finish up my Christmas shopping when I get off, too.

And I don't find you annoying.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Also. Can SEGA just finally get whatever issues they have with Sonic 3 sorted out, let Christian Whitehead remake it, and then port all four of his Sonic Remakes to switch in a collection? Even if they don’t sort out Sonic 3, leaving those remakes on phones and nothing else is just dumb. They’re practically SITTING on money!

D

Deleted member

Considering I'm all virtual, I don't think I can make it to school. I need my gmail.

Welp.

Hopefully they excuse this, because this seems to be an issue for not just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom