• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
As much as i love him, I never thought I’d live in a world where someone considers Spongebob more iconic than ****ing Bugs Bunny or Daffy Duck.
I'd definitely call him way bigger at this point. Popularity I don't pretend is the same as most iconic. That I leave to Spongebob and Mickey Mouse bar none. The rest are just a slight bit below among the bigger icons, but very respectably notable. Of course, this is also due to how things have changed in the years. This also deals with merchandise, exposure, etc. Spongebob picked up years ago to outbeat them. Before then, yeah, I'd call them bigger. But now? It's hard to actually find them constantly be talked about or have an actual show. They never actually hit Mickey Mouse level either, though no denying they got close. That's the only thing Spongebob really has. He's as iconic as the Mouse is right now. The other two just aren't as close.

Coming first doesn't make you bigger. Otherwise Steve, one of the biggest gaming icons, would be outshone by hundreds of characters. That is definitely not the case, as he's one of the few to constantly be on par with the original pillar three, Pac-Man, Mario, and Sonic. Nobody else even comes close to being as known.

It's YMMV, but things change in time.

Bugs Bunny has been voted the most popular cartoon character in the world for many years in a row.
Most popular =/= most iconic. That means they like him more. That doesn't mean he's more known in comparison. These are completely different things. Popularity relates to iconicness, but is definitely not the sole determining factor. There's more to it than that. See above.

I'll repeat it's YMMV, but I still consider as of this day, Mouse and Squarepants the most iconic now.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I'd definitely call him way bigger at this point. Popularity I don't pretend is the same as most iconic. That I leave to Spongebob and Mickey Mouse bar none. The rest are just a slight bit below among the bigger icons, but very respectably notable. Of course, this is also due to how things have changed in the years. This also deals with merchandise, exposure, etc. Spongebob picked up years ago to outbeat them. Before then, yeah, I'd call them bigger. But now? It's hard to actually find them constantly be talked about or have an actual show. They never actually hit Mickey Mouse level either, though no denying they got close. That's the only thing Spongebob really has. He's as iconic as the Mouse is right now. The other two just aren't as close.

Coming first doesn't make you bigger. Otherwise Steve, one of the biggest gaming icons, would be outshone by hundreds of characters. That is definitely not the case, as he's one of the few to constantly be on par with the original pillar three, Pac-Man, Mario, and Sonic. Nobody else even comes close to being as known.

It's YMMV, but things change in time.

Most popular =/= most iconic. That means they like him more. That doesn't mean he's more known in comparison. These are completely different things. Popularity relates to iconicness, but is definitely not the sole determining factor. There's more to it than that. See above.

I'll repeat it's YMMV, but I still consider as of this day, Mouse and Squarepants the most iconic now.
Saying Bugs Bunny is less iconic then that yellow square is an insult to the entire genre of animation.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
7-11 PM EST.
Didn't realize it would be that long. Maybe I won't miss the reveal.

Smash is totally a second half reveal right? I remember standing in line at Gamestop when Joker was announced. lol

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Saying Bugs Bunny is less iconic then that yellow square is an insult to the entire genre of animation.
Okay I wouldn’t say THAT, at least in regards to the first three seasons. Honestly I’d say a few episodes like Band Geeks, Chocolate with Nuts or Pizza Delivery would be worthy of a greatest cartoons list, but yeah there’s no denying the amount of influence Looney Tunes has had over animation.

Also animation isn’t a genre, it’s a medium. People treating animation as a genre is why it isn’t taken as seriously as it should be.

Last edited:

Spongeboob

Smash Ace
A hot dog stand at the end of time and space
Switch FC
SW-5063-7952-1131
Just gonna throw this out there from the 1994 book The 50 Greatest Cartoons: As Selected by 1,000 Animation Professionals:

View attachment 294905

Though I’m curious, if this was made today, how high do you think the episode Band Geeks would rank?
I think it would be ranked somewhere in the middle.
People really trying to say Bugs Bunny isn't the most iconic cartoon character to the world.

Lol k.
Bugs Bunny? Who's that?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I thought that was Mickey Mouse.
It absolutely is.

To clarify something, "influencing a ton of animation" isn't what I consider the only factor in being the most known right now. Lots of stuff influences others, but I specify Icon as "most known" specifically in the way I use it. Spongebob and Mickey Mouse nowadays I would peg as the most known now. Bugs Bunny/Daffy Duck absolutely had that spot back then. They're super well known, but I'd argue the one that has significantly more exposure now would be a higher icon.

Of course, it's fine if people don't see it that way. Just wanted to make clear what my thought pattern was.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Why are we even debating the degree of icon status for characters like Bugs Bunny and Spongebob? It would be like arguing the degree of icon status of Darth Vader vs Thanos - the general audience would recognize all these characters regardless.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I can't stop listening to the two new songs in the latest Helluva Boss

One is so beautiful that I almost want to cry and one is super catchy.

Spongeboob

Smash Ace
A hot dog stand at the end of time and space
Switch FC
SW-5063-7952-1131
Why are we even debating the degree of icon status for characters like Bugs Bunny and Spongebob? It would be like arguing the degree of icon status of Darth Vader vs Thanos - the general audience would recognize all these characters regardless.
I think Thanos will be forgotten by anyone who isn't within Marvel or comic book circles over the years. Darth Vader, on the other hand...

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Didn't realize it would be that long. Maybe I won't miss the reveal.

Smash is totally a second half reveal right? I remember standing in line at Gamestop when Joker was announced. lol
I'd imagine Smash would be saved for near the end in order to keep the audience solely interested in that watching the rest of the show.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
What we were commenting on was who should get in for non-gaming characters, and my opinion was "the most iconic first".

I did not list anything but Mickey Mouse and SpongeBob SquarePants as the most iconic for the cartoon list I did. Read last page for context. People disagreed, which was fine till it got clearly uncivil and more about laughing in my face instead of showing an ounce of respect. I at most expected it from one person(who has admitted they are trolly), but the rest? Welp. Guess I have to follow mob mentallity, right?

Yeah, you can tell I'm a bit pissed off that people are acting immature towards me randomly with no legitimate excuse.

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
What we were commenting on was who should get in for non-gaming characters, and my opinion was "the most iconic first".

I did not list anything but Mickey Mouse and SpongeBob SquarePants as the most iconic for the cartoon list I did. Read last page for context. People disagreed, which was fine till it got clearly uncivil and more about laughing in my face instead of showing an ounce of respect. I at most expected it from one person(who has admitted they are trolly), but the rest? Welp. Guess I have to follow mob mentallity, right?

Yeah, you can tell I'm a bit pissed off that people are acting immature towards me randomly with no legitimate excuse.
Okay, I could’ve been more civil with that subject, and for that I apologize. However I do think you may be blowing the whole laughing in your face thing out of proportion. Maybe it’d be best if we moved on from this topic. Sorry for causing you this hassle.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
all I say is Bugs and Daffy only for an argument to occur...fine...we’ll leave those 2 for Mortal Kombat (Daffy gotta get revenge anyways)

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Okay, I could’ve been more civil with that subject, and for that I apologize. However I do think you may be blowing the whole laughing in your face thing out of proportion. Maybe it’d be best if we moved on from this topic. Sorry for causing you this hassle.
If somebody is clearly laughing your face, I will call them out on it. It's not being blown out of proportion when it actually happened.

You have to remember I'm known for having opinions that don't follow the norm and have literally been treated poorly because of it for years on end. I literally left the Smash Ultimate section as a mod for a while due to this kind of behavior.

You weren't uncivil, to be clear, honestly. Slightly blunt.

I do agree moving on is best, though.

For the record, this is why I almost never put my thoughts on this forum anymore. And it sucks. It shouldn't matter how unpopular an opinion is. Obviously being pointed out the errors is fine. I've made quite a lot of mistakes. Commonly done, unfortunately, is some people are overly rude about it. :/

---------------------

Anyway, I'll fix up the rest of the Magnamon colored images with the BG removed and show 'em all here. I need to also show all the colors on the first Magnamon Black image(though that's actually the second recolor, but it's the first I posted here).

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
Probably after TGAs might consider reducing my presence a bit.

Give myself a bit of time to reflect on relationships.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom