• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
Aight I'm gonna need an explanation in what the **** Chrono Cross is as all I ever hear is "Oh so good" or "Absolute trash game" and I saw the full cast 5 minutes ago and wanted to faint
Alright battle system
Good story
One of the best soundtracks ever made (Scars of Time is considering Yasunori Matsuda's magnum opus by some).
Way, way too many characters.

Best I can sum it up.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Aight I'm gonna need an explanation in what the **** Chrono Cross is as all I ever hear is "Oh so good" or "Absolute trash game" and I saw the full cast 5 minutes ago and wanted to faint
Chrono Cross is a love it or hate it game.

It has a beautiful world, one of the greatest OSTs ever made, and a very interesting mythos.

…However, it has…Unfortunate connotations for certain plot points and characters in Trigger, and that rubs a lotta hardcore Trigger fans the wrong way. It has some plot pacing issues as well.

It's a sequel to Chrono Trigger isn't it?
Ehhhhhh not really.

Like, 80% of the game is its own thing, it has some ties to Trigger and resolves a specific plot point that Trigger left open and that’s about it. It’s really better treated ad its own thing, trying to treat it as a direct Trigger sequel really hurts it.

It’s better when treated as a game that happens to take place in the same world rather than a direct sequel.

kylexv

Smash Master
Behold! After not visiting this thread for almost a month, I'm back. Mostly because I wanted to talk about the Direct, but still

This is probably one of the best directs we've gotten in recent memory:
  • Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes got my hopes up at first only to reveal itself to be a Warriors game. I've never played a Musou game before, and since FE3H is probably one of my favorite switch games, I might pick this up. Really depends on initial reviews of the game though.
  • Advance Wars looks neat. It's quite cool that there's a map creator in the game, even if I probably won't pick it up.
  • MARIO STRIKERS BAYBEE! Loved Mario Strikers Charged on the Wii, so I was very excited to see this show up, especially since I thought we'd never get a Strikers game again. I am a bit concerned about the character roster, especially since Daisy is missing. I don't know of any recent Mario spinoff that doesn't have her as a playable character, so that concerns me a bit. People are acting like we know the full roster, but I kind of doubt it, mostly because Daisy hasn't been seen yet.
  • Splatoon 3 showed off Salmon Run stuff. I played a whole bunch of Splatoon 1 but never picked up Splatoon 2 (I think I missed using the gamepad too much), so I'm kind of hoping this game has a Testfire beta so I can see if I'll have a good time with the game.
  • Chrono Cross coming to Switch is neat, even if it's not my thing.
  • Karby
    • But in all seriousness, I'm getting very excited for Kirby next month. I think the upgradable copy abilities sold me, that **** looks sick.
  • Kingdom Hearts Cloud Versions 🤮
  • Klonoa Remakes are pretty rad. Had some slight motivation to check them out, but I would have to sell my kidney to afford the originals. Maybe I'll check out the remakes, who knows.
  • Live A Live Remake in the Octopath Engine. JRPGs can be real hit or miss for me, but seeing all the positive buzz around this announcement makes me interested.
  • Not gonna lie, I kind of think Nintendo Switch Sports looks like crap. Why did they decide not to use the Miis and instead use some generic-looking player characters? It makes the game look like one of the Wii games that tried to capitalize off the success of Wii sports, and that's not a good thing. And that's not even mentioning the fact that there's only like 6 sports at launch. Hard pass.
  • Kind of don't care about the Metroid Dread update at all. I'm not the type that likes extreme challenge runs.
  • Earthbound and Mother 1 coming to NSO is rad, but it was pretty much a matter of when rather than if imo.
  • So Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is getting DLC five years after it comes out, which is pretty weird, but the course amount is getting doubled, so I am very excited. I feel like I'm in the beginning of 2015 again, and it's time to play MK8DX for more than the paltry 5 hours I have played (I played the hell out of the Wii U version, so I wasn't very motivated to play Deluxe when I got my Switch). As someone who plays Mario Kart Tour quite regularly, I have a lot to say about the DLC, so feel free to look at my thoughts in the spoiler below.
  • Xenoblade 3 was the closing announcement like I expected, but it looks great. However, I started playing Xenoblade DE a month or two ago and couldn't really get into it. If I pick up Xenoblade 1 again and change my mind on it, this game will likely be a surefire purchase.

As someone who plays Mario Kart Tour quite regularly, I have a lot to say about the MK8DX DLC, so feel free to look at my thoughts in the spoiler below.

So, six of the eight tracks in the first DLC pack are seemingly lifted straight from Mario Kart Tour, so I wanted to give my thoughts on them all.

Tokyo Blur: Probably the most boring city course Tour has to offer, which is disappointing. Hopefully, they mesh the four variants together.
Paris Promenade: This one's alright, but pretty simplistic.
Ninja Hideaway: Hands down the best new track Mario Kart Tour has added. This course is amazing, and I'm glad people are going to be able to race on it without the caveats that Tour presents.

Toad Circuit: Is virtually unchanged from Mario Kart 7
Choco Mountain: There is a new glider section added to the course in the mid part, and the section immediately before it is now in a cave.
Sky Garden: This one hasn't been added to Tour yet, but it will be added in a couple of weeks. It looks like this course has gotten some substantial changes, which is exciting.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Chrono Cross is a love it or hate it game.

It has a beautiful world, one of the greatest OSTs ever made, and a very interesting mythos.

…However, it has…Unfortunate connotations for certain plot points and characters in Trigger, and that rubs a lotta hardcore Trigger fans the wrong way. It has some plot pacing issues as well.

Ehhhhhh not really.

Like, 80% of the game is its own thing, it has some ties to Trigger and resolves a specific plot point that Trigger left open and that’s about it. It’s really better treated ad its own thing, trying to treat it as a direct Trigger sequel really hurts it.

It’s better when treated as a game that happens to take place in the same world rather than a direct sequel.
Ok then first of all, how long is it, second, define unfortunate for me. Depending on the answers, I might give it a shot

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I’m intrigued by the plot of 3 houses Warriors. Considering Dimitri’s time skip version seems completely different. So what changes the story I wonder?

Dutch Raikuna

So I'm just thinking about Xenoblade 3 more and looking in more detail at the backgrounds. I see the ruins of Fallen Arm and something like Letheria so it makes me think.

Is it gonna be fully open world? Or sectioned? That is something I can't wait to be answered.

Really hope its the latter. It's so much better to have a few bigish maps or one big map. Gives a sense of a journey better.
(Looking at the Xenoblade 1, 2, Death Stranding, Assassin's Creed Valhalla, The Outer Worlds etc for great examples as to why.)

Man. I'm going psycho on speculation. And I say a few with Smash Bros is bad but here I am. No one here I'm offending by the way.

Last edited:

MooMew64

Ok then first of all, how long is it, second, define unfortunate for me. Depending on the answers, I might give it a shot
It’s abooouuut…I wanna say like, probably 30-40 hours? About as long as something like the OG FF7. Probably around 20-30 if you’re just doing the story and zero side content.

As for unfortunate: [SPOILER WARNING]

Two of Trigger’s party members die during the events of the game, and the fates of Crono and Marle could be inferred to be slightly grim after Chrono Trigger DS confirmed Gaurdia gets sacked by a neighboring nation called Porre. Crono and Marle‘s fates are never made known.

However, the game’s ending could imply that the two who canonically die might be saved from their fate in the game’s resolution.

The game’s ending is also kinda sudden and doesn’t really explain much either. It’s very artsy and interpretation based.

All that said

The battle system is really cool and unique, and the wide variety of party members gives a lot of fun customization. It also has a beautiful world and fantastic soundtrack, so there’s a lot to love if you give it a chance.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
It’s abooouuut…I wanna say like, probably 30-40 hours? About as long as something like the OG FF7. Probably around 20-30 if you’re just doing the story and zero side content.

As for unfortunate: [SPOILER WARNING]

Two of Trigger’s party members die during the events of the game, and the fates of Crono and Marle could be inferred to be slightly grim after Chrono Trigger DS confirmed Gaurdia gets sacked by a neighboring nation called Porre. Crono and Marle‘s fates are never made known.

However, the game’s ending could imply that the two who canonically die might be saved from their fate in the game’s resolution.

The game’s ending is also kinda sudden and doesn’t really explain much either. It’s very artsy and interpretation based.

All that said

The battle system is really cool and unique, and the wide variety of party members gives a lot of fun customization. It also has a beautiful world and fantastic soundtrack, so there’s a lot to love if you give it a chance.
Hmm. I think I might get this during a sale then

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
HOLY **** DISNEY IS SELLING PENNY PROUD
96F3BE1A-5055-43F6-9B94-7FE2B498E43F.jpeg
3CBABF48-E995-42D6-96BC-6ACAFC2F7A60.jpeg

Dutch Raikuna

Also for those who can read Japanese or use Google Translate but Shigasato Itoi has posted his reaction and stuff on his personal website which is really huge in Japan.
This dude has lived. Like ****ing lived.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
So I was wandering around to complete Cherubi's research tasks when suddenly

This beautiful girl showed up. Carnivine's one of my old favorites, I'm glad I have a Shiny one of these now.
That Cherrim sidequest is so tedious that you'll likely find several shinies trying to complete it.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I find it amusing that most people online associate Irida with May, even though their hair color doesnt match at all and that's the consistent theming of all the family members in Legends.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I sometimes joke about him, but for real, I really do like his content; he's a huge inspiration for my channel.

...I miss his Nintendo News Roundups, though, I hope he'll start them again soon. :drsad:
He does a good job at separating the creators at Nintendo from those who make bad decisions for the company. Being able to critique but also also showcase what you enjoy about a company is a rare thing to see,

MooMew64

He does a good job at separating the creators at Nintendo from those who make bad decisions for the company. Being able to critique but also also showcase what you enjoy about a company is a rare thing to see,
The only thing I didn't like from him recently was his BDSP review, it came off...Really snobbish, but I'll admit I overreacted a bit to it, lol. His opinion, he has every right to have it.

But yeah, no, Arlo's got a pretty good head on his shoulders and criticizes things without just insulting or demeaning the individuals behind the product. He can sometimes be a bit snobby, but I think that's just 'cause he honestly wants to see every Nintendo franchise give it their all.

He's stayed out of a lot of the toxic trappings most Nintendotubers fall into, and I appreciate that.

Dutch Raikuna

The only thing I didn't like from him recently was his BDSP review, it came off...Really snobbish, but I'll admit I overreacted a bit to it, lol. His opinion, he has every right to have it.

But yeah, no, Arlo's got a pretty good head on his shoulders and criticizes things without just insulting or demeaning the individuals behind the product. He can sometimes be a bit snobby, but I think that's just 'cause he honestly wants to see every Nintendo franchise give it their all.

He's stayed out of a lot of the toxic trappings most Nintendotubers fall into, and I appreciate that.
Again everytime I say it best.

Love Nintendo the developers and branding that has created so many memories of 100s of millions of people.

Hate Nintendo the part that has to satisfy its dinosaur shareholders and backward decisions........................like most Japanese companies.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom