• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon I got to Incineroar on the first try. No deaths.

Get on my level :denzel:
What difficulty are you playing on? If you play on anything less than Hard then it's a literal child's game lmao.

Also I WILL because I have to unlock all the characters again on my old Switch (which no longer has my save data and I'm going to be using solely for Smash) so I'm doing ANOTHER World of Light Nuzlocke just like that.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
tldr someone went "Ultimate doesn't have Kratos and Master Chief so it's not a celebration of all gaming. Cut all third parties I dislike and add first parties I like"
Real talk tho it was just non-stop debates about how Smash was "Losing its identity", a specific user saying how we should "Go back to Melee/Brawl era because nowadays is soo toxic", and lots of debates about 1st and 3rd parties and "dae think 3rd parties are bad tho?"
This is what I like to call a Smashboards moment

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I looked at the thread Shroob is talking about and....
Berdly Hmmm 1.png

Berdly Hmmm 2.51.png

Yeah, don't think im' gonna jump on that train any time soon haha.

I'm just gonna be happy with what we got & instead speculate nonstop about Deltarune for a change.

Good luck to anyone who is still stayin' on that Next Smash Tornado.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Here's the thing about this mindset

I personally do have an affinity for Nintendo characters in Smash because those are the games I primarily play, mostly because I spent most of my teenage years obsessing over them... Not much has changed other than the fact there are even more games I want to play now, including a good bunch of Nintendo games. But I digress. I don't think third-parties necessarily detract from that, and hey, not everything needs to appeal to me specifically - they just broaden the game's appeal, which is good. Also they give me more games to put on my backlog

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Rewatching the Fangamer Deltarune Livestream, and it just hit me that Lancer is the very first Darkner we see in the whole game. (even if he is covered in shadow at first)

Combine that with the fact that he is a Prince of the Dark since his father is the king and that he has actual subject to serve him unlike Ralsei...

Hmmmm, make you really think, huh

osby

Smash Obsessed
I know this should be a super obvious question but can you understand Deltarune without playing Undertale?

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
View attachment 336894

Real talk tho it was just non-stop debates about how Smash was "Losing its identity", a specific user saying how we should "Go back to Melee/Brawl era because nowadays is soo toxic", and lots of debates about 1st and 3rd parties and "dae think 3rd parties are bad tho?"
Yep.

Sounds like Smashboards to me.

Good thing I'm keeping the **** away from there lmao.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I know this should be a super obvious question but can you understand Deltarune without playing Undertale?
It's complicated.

Toby himself recommends to play or at least know enough about Undertale before trying out DR. Because DR play alot on UT fans expectations ,and the games seem to be connected in some weird way we don't know yet.

However, the base story of Deltarune itself can be enjoyed without knowing much about UT, since it focus on the new characters DR created and the base story as of now is very simple: 3 chosen heroes must save the world by sealing Dark Fountains, whacky adventure follow.

So I say if you're cool about not understanding the more obscure and out there part of the plot, you should be good.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Just remembered that Lucario is in Smash so I tried playing him a little bit.

What the heck is this character? And why is his air movement so wonky?

I don't get this character anymore. But I kind of want to. Guess I'm studying his meta tonight.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Just remembered that Lucario is in Smash so I tried playing him a little bit.

What the heck is this character? And why is his air movement so wonky?

I don't get this character anymore. But I kind of want to. Guess I'm studying his meta tonight.
Get hit in the ****ing face, but not too hard or else you die. That's Lucario's meta

osby

Smash Obsessed
Hey, the first three persona games are also on the vita digital store. Are they worth experiencing?
Gameplay-wise? They have a very high random encounter rate and kinda convoluted and/or dated mechanics. They have a lot of small stuff you'll never find without a guide and the first game has some challenging map navigation.

But I wouldn't say they are particularly hard games and they can be up to your alley if you're into dungeon crawlers. Note that there will be a lot of gameplay between cutscenes. Persona 2 Innocent Sin is the best starting point in this regard since it mitigates some of the first game's issues.

Story-wise? The first game has great writing but it's divided between two routes, requiring you to play the Ice Queen route before the SEBEC route to get the full story. You're probably better off reading the manga adaptation, which should have an English fan translation going around online. It's also more focused on themes than developing its cast or advancing the plot.

Persona 2 Innocent Sin has one of the strongest casts in the entire series but its plot is kinda "**** around until the final dungeon comes", even though it's not as bad as P3. Characters from the first game make plot-important appearances in here so you kinda need to know about them or you're gonna miss out some stuff.

Persona 2 Eternal Punishment has one of the best plots among all 6 games imo and the adult cast is a nice change of pace but it's a direct sequel to Innocent Sin so you can't jump to it from the start.

In short, they are good experiences if you can put up with them but if you don't think you can, you may consider reading P1 manga or watching playthroughs for the stories.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Gameplay-wise? They have a very high random encounter rate and kinda convoluted and/or dated mechanics. They have a lot of small stuff you'll never find without a guide and the first game has some challenging map navigation.

But I wouldn't say they are particularly hard games and they can be up to your alley if you're into dungeon crawlers. Note that there will be a lot of gameplay between cutscenes. Persona 2 Innocent Sin is the best starting point in this regard since it mitigates some of the first game's issues.

Story-wise? The first game has great writing but it's divided between two routes, requiring you to play the Ice Queen route before the SEBEC route to get the full story. You're probably better off reading the manga adaptation, which should have an English fan translation going around online. It's also more focused on themes than developing its cast or advancing the plot.

Persona 2 Innocent Sin has one of the strongest casts in the entire series but its plot is kinda "**** around until the final dungeon comes", even though it's not as bad as P3. Characters from the first game make plot-important appearances in here so you kinda need to know about them or you're gonna miss out some stuff.

Persona 2 Eternal Punishment has one of the best plots among all 6 games imo and the adult cast is a nice change of pace but it's a direct sequel to Innocent Sin so you can't jump to it from the start.

In short, they are good experiences if you can put up with them but if you don't think you can, you may consider reading P1 manga or watching playthroughs for the stories.
I’ll try em out then. I think I can manage.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I’ll try em out then. I think I can manage.
Speaking of stories, I realized that you can kinda divide Persona games into groups of two in terms of how they are written:
  • P1 and P3: "No characters, no plot, only themes."
  • P2IS and P4: "No plot, we need to develop these characters."
  • P2EP and P5: "Plot train has no breaks."

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
View attachment 336894

I mean, to each their own, buuuut yeah IMO that’s silly, lol.

This fandom has always been toxic. TBH 99% of fandoms are, and that’s primarily because the ones who are throwing tantrums are the loudest voices.

Plus I’mma be real, if they ever ditched guest characters, Smash would plummet in playerbase. 13+ million sales weren’t because they added a new Mario character, or even Ridley or K. Rool: It’s the big 3rd parties that get everyone’s attention.

And this isn’t saying first parties are bad. However, statistically? 3rd parties get the big reactions, especially when the only Nintendo characters left on the table are the B and C list characters that would be more catering to a niche, something that ironically, some of this community complains about on the rare occasion they do with things like FE.

Basically:

Fandom bad lol.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I mean, to each their own, buuuut yeah IMO that’s silly, lol.

This fandom has always been toxic. TBH 99% of fandoms are, and that’s primarily because the ones who are throwing tantrums are the loudest voices.

Plus I’mma be real, if they ever ditched guest characters, Smash would plummet in playerbase. 13+ million sales weren’t because they added a new Mario character, or even Ridley or K. Rool: It’s the big 3rd parties that get everyone’s attention.

And this isn’t saying first parties are bad. However, statistically? 3rd parties get the big reactions, especially when the only Nintendo characters left on the table are the B and C list characters that would be more catering to a niche, something that ironically, some of this community complains about on the rare occasion they do with things like FE.

Basically:

Fandom bad lol.
In my experience, people who cry about protecting Smash's purity and keeping it Nintendo-only, are usually the ones who also hate any first character who isn't a scrimblo or over 15 years old, too.

It's not even about Nintendo, it's about making their personal taste sound more important than it actually is.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I'll never understand how people claim 3rd parties ruined Smash.

Imagine a Smash game with no Sonic. Imagine getting Bandana Dee over someone like Sephiroth and thinking that Dee represents gaming better (this isn't me saying Dee is bad). Look at the hype for Pyra/Mythra, Min-Min, and Byleth vs Joker, Steve, and Sora.

Smash thrives off of third parties and getting even more insane and impossible picks, but all of them are still celebrations of gaming.

Like, tell me that Hero and Cloud Strife should be cut. C'mon.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I'll never understand how people claim 3rd parties ruined Smash.

Imagine a Smash game with no Sonic. Imagine getting Bandana Dee over someone like Sephiroth and thinking that Dee represents gaming better (this isn't me saying Dee is bad). Look at the hype for Pyra/Mythra, Min-Min, and Byleth vs Joker, Steve, and Sora.

Smash thrives off of third parties and getting even more insane and impossible picks, but all of them are still celebrations of gaming.

Like, tell me that Hero and Cloud Strife should be cut. C'mon.
Okay:

Hero and Cloud Strife should be cut.

osby

Smash Obsessed
For the record, my previous post was produced for humorous purposes and does not indicate my genuine opinions or worldview.

I don't condone, under any circumstances, the removal of any twinks from the Super Smash Bros series of games.

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
So was just talking about this with one of my closest friends who wanted to get more Nintendo games but the price is too high even for ones that have been out for years. It reminds me:

1636208291930.png

Nintendo are stupid as **** for not bringing back the Nintendo Selects label.

Thought you were a bit quiet these past couple of days.

But yeah, I'm glad to hear that you're recovering from it, mate.
One of the reasons why I have been quiet is because of it but yeah. Went from 100 to 0 and back like twice the past two days and hallucinating due to how bad I was.

Other reasons have been nothing really much to say and really watching anime. Have stuff now which is good news.

osby

Smash Obsessed
You know the thing cats do when they like the scritch you gave to them so much that they start leaning towards your hand and then they catch themselves right before they topple over and pull back but then return for more scritches right after that?

That's the stuff.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Day 36 of re-downloading my Switch Library

cuphead is downloading now

i just have another 50 games to go

i am now watching squid game to pass the time
You know I was thinking about getting an OLED but now that the switch is coming up on its 6th year I think I’ll probably just wait a few more for the next Nintendo thingy to come out.

Last edited:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I read the entire thread, and I honestly wonder how people have the energy to argue like that.

Like, if I linked three direct sources to Sakurai saying that Smash is a celebration of gaming, and they still deny it, then I'd just throw in the towel and call it quits.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I really couldn't imagine speculating over the next Smash when Sakurai isn't even planning it and the next system hasn't even been announced.
There's gonna be a long time between now and then and speculation is just gonna be going in circles until a new release/announcement adds something else that'll get absorbed into the same cycle.

You're just looking at the same popular first and third party picks until then and that's boring because they've all been discussed to death with Ultimate. We've done the whole shebang with Waluigi, we've done Crash and Isaac and Dante and Octolings and Doom Guy and Bandanna Dee and Chief and so on. There's the Hopium over rumoured stuff like XC3 and character roles in future games like Sylux in Prime 4 (still lmao)

I don't actually have to imagine it though, because that was Smash 4's ending to Ultimate's announcement. It sucked. Now draw that out beyond two years which was already bad enough.

More power to anyone that still wants to do it but they really don't get to complain about speculation being boring when it takes ages for the next Smash to be announced.

KingBooGengar57

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-6126-0782-8125
I’ve been spending my morning looking at what the Glitch Gremlin has done in FFV and FFVI, how are you guys?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom