• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Man, a lot of music of today doesn't seem that good compared to some of the earlier music, huh? So sad.
This mindset is total trash because it somehow ignores that there was plenty of crap back then too, it just doesn't get remembered unlike the good songs, the same will happen in another 30 years too

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
Personally, video game and anime music just happens to be the music I enjoy most. I don't necessarily hate "real" music but I don't actively listen to it most of the time. Modern music in general doesn't seem to be my thing.
I also mostly listen to game and anime music, though I don't mind popular songs either. I've even heard some I like a lot. They're just not what I usually pay attention to.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Man, a lot of music of today doesn't seem that good compared to some of the earlier music, huh? So sad.
Others already said it but this is called survivorship bias.

Most people think the entertainment was better in the past because they only remember the good parts. There was plenty of bad music in the past, it's just nobody bothers to remember and replay them so the only visible ones are the top 10%.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I probably should've said that I like music from all decades from the 70s-now.

Which one is better? Imo, that's not objective, all have strengths and weaknesses.

But I'm biased and grew up on it, so imma say music from the 2000s-Now are better.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Half-joking aside, I'm quite the sucker for neo-scene, but also experimental stuff. Especially odd time signatures. Have a listen to Tigran Hamasyan, his stuff is fantastic.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Starting off this week's art with Shadow Armor X. One of my favorite Mega Man X armors. It was about time I drew this version of him.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
This mindset is total trash because it somehow ignores that there was plenty of crap back then too, it just doesn't get remembered unlike the good songs, the same will happen in another 30 years too
My bad, though it seems, in the case of the italic part, the opposite is the case for what is happening with today's music. the remembering part, but I could be wrong.

BUT, then again, I was just replying indirectly to a tweet from another person's post.

Last edited:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
in 2050 dudes will be saying music was so much better in 2021
This reminded me of that one animated YouTube video where it was two adult Gen Z's taking their daughter somewhere and the music on the radio was just screeching, and the end was them reminicing about Nicki Minaj.

I can't find the vid, but even then I can't link it because the daughter was straight up NSFW and I wonder how YouTube allowed that.

Update: I found it. Man does it reek of boomer

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
in 2050 dudes will be saying music was so much better in 2021
Well, that should be true, and it will go on and on in time, if we are even alive beyond 2050.

Still, to me, it is how the music is performed and written that makes it bad or good. I would not consider most gangsta rap of today good, but there were some good ones back then, as well as bad ones, of course.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Whoo what a morning. Did a deep cleaning in the house like almost every Monday.

Also planned out what movies to watch this week and on Halloween.

Tomorrow will be Dune, Wednesday will be Malignant, Halloween on Sunday will be Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I probably should've said that I like music from all decades from the 70s-now.

Which one is better? Imo, that's not objective, all have strengths and weaknesses.

But I'm biased and grew up on it, so imma say music from the 2000s-Now are better.
I grew up on 70- 90s oldies from my mom and dad and video game and anime music so by default, i hate modern rap and pop. Yeah, idc if I sound old

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Anyway, I hope you all aren't mad at me for my earlier comment. I might have not thought it out first, but regardless, the music thing I said was only a partial, incomplete aspect of my total thoughts.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I'll admit my bias towards the 90's and 2000's stuff I grew up with, even if there's a lot of it that I didn't like either. Mostly because I listen to Rap/Hip-Hop and Rock music. Hell, I've gone back and listen to songs from those decades I haven't bothered with before and enjoyed them. I'm not gonna act like I'm suddenly enlightened. I just think it goes both ways. It's a bit of an easy cop-out to say "Oh, things were also bad back in the day" and then not elaborate further. And it's just as easy to go to earlier eras and find things you didn't think you'd enjoy. There's modern stuff like some of Roddy Rich's music that I ****s with too. Or Kendrick or Jay-Rock. So its definitely not bad.

EDIT: Memes aside, I also like that "Okay I Pull Up" song too.

But I DO have one major complaint about 2010's music is that there's less variety in the mainstream. Cause if you didn't like Hip-Hop, you only really had Pop or scarily enough Country music to listen to, as well as those genre's stepping on each others toes. Not much in the way of mainstream R&B being actual R&B slow jams. And Imagine Dragons being the closest thing to a modern mainstream Rock Band. I think the 2020's already has a little more variety. So it's looking up in that way.

Last edited:

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
As someone who listens to almost exclusively current pop music with some video game soundtracks or covers mixed into there, I can confidently say that there's some incredible stuff on the mainstream charts, and you probably only hear about the lame stuff because people on the web like to talk about it to make fun of it or drive up controversies for attention. I promise you even the the top most popular songs of the season always have at least a few instant classics in there somewhere! Songs don't have to be shallow to get to the top of the charts, and even then sometimes shallow songs are necessary. Plus every genre some something to offer. The decentralization of the Internet means that any song can get big based on people just liking, no longer beholden to only what labels push on radio.

I can easily point you all to some truly awesome picks in pop, EDM, Latin, hip-hop, R&B, country, even viral meme songs that are on the Hot 100 RIGHT NOW because there is always good popular music. Do you know how many songs are "mainstream"? hella, and that means there's always good in there.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I just listen to whatever song I like.

So long I like it, any genre is free game

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
My favorite genres are rock and techno. I personally also like 90s 80s, and 2000s music.

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
I can easily point you all to some truly awesome picks in pop, EDM, Latin, hip-hop, R&B, country, even viral meme songs that are on the Hot 100 RIGHT NOW because there is always good popular music.
In fact... that's exactly what I'll do! These songs are all among the most popular in the USA as we speak and they're awesome.

"For Tonight" by Giveon has a bit more boring production than his other hits but his voice is still just the most beautiful thing.

"Freedom Was a Highway" by Jimmie Allen and Brad Paisley might be the best offering on the country charts right now. Allen's voice still has it, the lyrics are the genuinely heartwarming kind of feel-good schlock, and Paisley comes in with one of his classic guitar solos near the end.

"Todo de Ti" by Rauw Alejandro is so much more than I ever expected from this guy, since he normally does by-the-numbers reggaeton. The disco style production on this just forces you to dance.

"Easy on Me" by Adele is Adele so y'know...

"Volví" by Aventura and Bad Bunny has some slick production reggaeton production and Bad Bunny is just always a treat to have.

"Leave Before You Love Me" by Marshmello and Jonas Brothers is one of the best songs either of these mostly-disliked acts have put out.

"Meet Me at Our Spot" by The Anxiety is part of the current pop punk rock revival and slots in perfectly to that mold.

"You Should Probably Leave" by Chris Stapleton is from one of the best country albums in years and throw his soothing voice into full display. Check out the title track "Starting Over" too.

"Deja Vu" and "Good 4 U" by Olivia Rodrigo are another set of rock revival songs, the former more psychedelic and the latter more pop punk. Not what you'd expect from a Disney Channel star eh?

"Buy Dirt" by Jordan Davis featuring Luke Bryan is more of that feel-good country that I so adore. Luke Bryan is good now guys I swear!

"Cold Beer Calling My Name" by Jameson Rodgers featuring Luke Combs is very very shallow bro-country but dang it it's fun!

"Ghost" by Justin Bieber is one of the greater songs in his collection. The production is just so haunting and beautiful. I know it's Bieber but he has to have at least some good songs in that massive catalogue of his.

"Happier than Ever" by Billie Eilish is a slow build with an amazing payoff.

"Thats What I Want" by Lil Nas X is a nice slice of pop rock from the Old Town Road guy. Incredible how he didn't fall into one-hit-wonderdom.

"Cold Heart (Pnau Remix)" by Elton John and Dua Lipa is a wonderful and unexpected little comeback single from Elton John.

"My Universe" by Coldplay and BTS works so much better than it has any right to. Somehow these two bands just blend together impeccably. It's pure pop though so idk why it's charting on rock radio rn. Just the Coldplay name I guess.

"Beggin'" by Måneskin is another TikTok meme but y'know what I like these Italian rockers, bringing that rough style of hard rock back to the charts!

Honorable mention goes to "Fancy Like" by Walker Hayes, the biggest country hit of 2021 and the most divisive song of the year. Half of everyone I've seen online says they think it's super fun and catchy pop country, the other half say it's the most grating, irritating thing they've ever heard. No inbetween there lol.

Last edited:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
This reminded me of that one animated YouTube video where it was two adult Gen Z's taking their daughter somewhere and the music on the radio was just screeching, and the end was them reminicing about Nicki Minaj.

I can't find the vid, but even then I can't link it because the daughter was straight up NSFW and I wonder how YouTube allowed that.

Update: I found it. Man does it reek of boomer
Screeching can totally make great music, though. :187:

KillerCage

Smash Master
@GamerZardEX's AMA is now up

Annnnnd that it's it. As of current there's no one else on the list of future AMA subjects, so if you're interested in participating in a future AMA and have not gone at most twice before, please lemme know.

If I come back tommorow with no other takers, I'll officially open AMAs up to thirds, but we'll get there when we get there. And that's if we get there lol
I'm up for a third round of AMA.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Starting off this week's art with Shadow Armor X. One of my favorite Mega Man X armors. It was about time I drew this version of him.

Do you use Clip Studio Paint? I've been meaning to teach myself how to color my sketches in but work's kept me so busy that I just come home and crash. Fortunately my schedule should clear up a bit soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom