• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Coming out of hibernation in anticipation of the final fighter. It’s been a rough year, but things are getting better, and looking forward to the final fighter. It’s bittersweet, as it’s coming to an end, but finally will be finished. I disagree with the commentators who emphasize the latter—even if we had a Vol III, it would eventually be finished, just with more characters to boot. And while the list of potential characters is much smaller than prior to Ultimate, there’s plenty of great final choices.

For me, my top picks are

1. Crash - A Dream Come True… Again - When I was a kid, I had seen Nintendo, Sega, and Sony as the big three, and with Sonic in the game, Crash feels like it completes the trinity of 90s console mascots. And now that he’s no longer owned by Sony, it’s very close to being a possibility. But more importantly, like Banjo & Kazooie, his gameplay style fits Smash, though would probably require a bit more ingenuity to make him stand out. While Crash has been at the top of the polls, that can also be a downside—I know many would probably feel it’s an obvious pick, and would have preferred a more out there character. Though, I say, with Steve and Sephiroth, Vol II has already had out there characters, and surprise inclusions. Crash balances expected/hoped for, without being as polarizing as more niche characters would be.

2. Sora - How Did They Do This - I have not played Kingdom Hearts, but Sora was still pretty iconic, I knew of him and KH as a kid, even when I didn’t know who Cloud or Sephiroth were. Sora feels like the last “How did they do that?” characters, because while Square might have been difficult to work with, nothing compares to the Mouse. And Sora’s inclusion would blur that line between video games and non-video game iconography, given so many people still request non-video game characters, while still sticking true to Sakurai’s word that inclusions must have originated in video games. And while I can see Disney looking at Smash being a marketing vehicle for them, and have worked with Nintendo and other games in the past, it wouldn’t be cheap, and I could see Disney being the ones out-pricing Nintendo. My doubts on Sora come from Sephiroth seeming like their second approach, after failing to secure Sora. Despite the potential issues, it would be a fitting end, being a swan song for Sora Ltd’s work on Smash Ultimate.

3. Master Chief - Not For Me, But Would Make Many People Happy - While the amazement of Microsoft letting their characters into Smash has gone down with the inclusion of Banjo & Kazooie and Steve, including Xbox’s iconic mascot would send a shockwave through the West—in Japan, not so much. And given Master Chief comes from such a different genre than most other characters, there’s many ways to make him unique in terms of gameplay. But given that Microsoft has already had 2 DLC characters, one already in Vol II, I can’t see it happening and have characters I’d prefer more, it would still be an okay ending to Ultimate with Master Chief finishing the fight.

A shout out to Bomberman and Shadow—doesn’t make too much sense to be assist trophies, would be awesome characters, but hopefully next time around.

I can’t see myself getting too hyped for any other characters, as all of my favorites returned, and my dream character came to Ultimate, and so I’d be content with whoever it is (though, I’ve already second guessed my impulse purchase of Vol II, since knowing the list, there weren’t any characters I wanted in it). I feel like a Gen 8 Pokémon, Ryu Hayabusa (despite the quotes), and Phoenix Wright are far more likely than any of my picks. Not because Smash “ends without a bang”, but that the most crazy characters tend to front load as they’re the ones advertising the pass.

But despite it ending, and perhaps even ending on a mixed note as a huge likelihood, I am looking forward to one last event to mark an incredible game full of ups and downs and plenty of surprises and long-awaited dreams come true. I am curious, even concerned, what the future of Smash would be, and most realistic options are ones I can’t find myself getting too invested in. But for now, I’ll enjoy what I have. It’s been a fun ride everyone. :)

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Dude, you’re 30 and you’re less mature than I am :nifty:
Hey, don't go there, I was just saying. Please let us not devolve into this.

EDIT: And by the way, I am not being immature, I am just upset about what I am being accused of.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I wonder what the future of Smash will be after Tuesday. Idk how they'd ever top Ultimate if a Smash 6 even happens.
They probably won’t be able to top Ultimate tbh.

Making Ultimate in of itself was a miracle. Probably took a lot to get companies like Konami and Square back on board.

Last edited by a moderator:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I wonder what the future of Smash will be after Tuesday. Idk how they'd ever top Ultimate if a Smash 6 even happens.
Honestly?

I imagine they'll just do what they always do and just pick a new gimmick. I could see a refocus on Brawl styled singleplayer modes next time, or maybe a roster reboot with completely new movesets for the returning cast.

I'm curious which 3rd parties will come back. I feel confident Sega characters will stay, but the rest? Honestly really up in the air.

Noipoi

Howdy!
A new gameplay gimmick and a bigger, more in-depth story mode. Like subspace but more. The significantly smaller roster will allow them to make the story mode a more major experience, to the point where it becomes one of the main selling points.

But that’s just an idea.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Thanks.

I do try my best, but sometimes, it seems I do not try hard enough. Things just got out of hand when I didn't intend it that way.
Take it from someone like myself. I confess I'm still quite a noob at times and have gotten carried away (God I remember how I was when COVID first began...) but regardless you just have to keep trying.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

TheMightyP TheMightyP yo, just saw what happened and wanted to lend you some sort of hand.

Really wanted to specifically say to you that from personal experience It is quite important to don't take into consideration criticism which isn't properly redacted or justified to be given.

I want to show as an example the works of one of the mods at a Metroid Discord server I frequent:
Orignal_Samus_1.png

Their work normally looks like this, and a small amount of people have been making really unfair criticism towards his work just because It doesn't look as great as something done by artists who get paid for art and all that... But they never cares about those persons. Because for one side they know that they just need to listen to the people who are genuiely standing with them and helping them out at getting better and on the other side they have also been showing examples of how they have been trying to improve with works such as this one:
Captain_Carter_7.png

From the bottom of my heart MightyP, I tell you to not give up on It.
Don't bother with the people who just come in to talk bad about what they deem too different or weird... Just listen to the people who are there to genuiely help you out such as Noi or Metal X, with their feedback I feel confident you will keep getting results you are proud of and eventually if all goes well make the rounds around Twitter or other popular sites to share art.

That's all I wanted to say on the subject, I apologize if any of what I said sounded wrong.

Noipoi

Howdy!
ALRIGHT

So, anyway. That trip down memory lane I was talking about?

I have made a lot of art for these threads over the past few years. And so, as we’re wrapping things up, this Monday at [uncertain time] I’m gonna hold a mini art gallery showcasing the memes, posters, and comics I’ve done for you guys. And sometimes a little blurb about the process, or a little tidbit of trivia.

I hope you enjoy it!

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
ALRIGHT

So, anyway. That trip down memory lane I was talking about?

I have made a lot of art for these threads over the past few years. And so, as we’re wrapping things up, this Monday at [uncertain time] I’m gonna hold a mini art gallery showcasing the memes, posters, and comics I’ve done for you guys. And sometimes a little blurb about the process, or a little tidbit of trivia.

I hope you enjoy it!
Alright, I personally can't wait to see that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom