• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
I mean, I don't support the action, but like...

It's just how Nintendo operates. They don't want fan projects of flagship IPs held in a limelight, and any and all major events will do that. Mod tournaments pretty much have to be kept at extreme grassroots levels via Discord servers and the like to really stand a chance at survival, and they can't have any money behind 'em either. There are specific things that trigger Nintendo lawyers, and these seem to be but a few of them.

Dang, though, someone over in the Nintendo law offices must have had an itchy trigger finger, 'cause they shut down the Metroid Prime 2D project as well.
And yet they didn't bat an eye for all their music on YouTube for like five years until someone uploaded Smash music early. That still pisses me off everyday.

And again it's not like it'll take up a major proportion or anything. They probably aren't like a company like Sony who's beep dream is to behead anyone who ever pirated five seconds of a song but pretty close.

I get protecting your IP but there's a point where it gets way too far where it damages a bit of your fanbase.

I agree it should change. But by doing the one thing Nintendo specifically asked them not to do, isn’t going to help them change. They should be trying to meet with lawyers or something to that degree, not continuing to stirring the pot.

If they think Nintendo’s lawyers genuinely read online comments, they are just naive. And the intern running the accounts on social media isn’t going to help them either. They can’t expect change to come to them, they need to actually try.
Exactly. It's not only with Nintendo but with every ****ing media company under the sun.

You want people to stop uploading songs to YouTube without your permission Warner/Universal? Then make it available in more countries! They've no excuses anymore in the digital age unless they are hellbent on artificial scarcity.

Granted I'll never pirate games but still.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I’m about to start the draft and man I’m nervous af.

I don’t know which archetype I want to focus on drafting and it’s got me going like

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
The unfortunate truth of the matter too is that this won't do a thing to Nintendo.

The amount of people who this will offend is astronomically small compared to the global audience Nintendo seeks to market to. The actual group behind these events, fangames, mods, and other such things are...Well, take it from someone who adores fan passion project stuff: We're small. In the grand scheme of things to Nintendo, we aren't even a blip. If I had to speculate (since I cannot prove 100%), I imagine they could honestly care less how mad they make us. Especially when we're gonna continue to buy their games anyway, and at the end of the day, if money is still being made, why do they need to care about "bad press"? Why do they need to "value fan opinions" when we fans yell a bit, make a nasty hashtag on social media, spam it to heck and back for a week, and then forget about it and go right back to consuming their products?

The only way there would be definite change is if these decisions hurt their bottom dollar in the end, and they don't. They won't. People keep saying it will, that "the good faith will eventually run out" and "they'll burn the community", but we've been saying these things for well close to a decade now ever since fan projects started to rise in prevalence and the amount that are made.

And who's to say that our community shunning them would even affect things at a major level? Sure, you'll see a couple thousand, maybe even twenty or low hundred thousands use this hashtag and vent anger and outrage, but...How does that compare to the silent majority who just don't care? Who aren't going to care? Take that into account, and we just repeat the exact same cycle every same time, and act surprised when it happens all over again.

The arguments for this whole thing are extremely nuanced, and I don't believe it should be blanketed over "right" and "wrong".

Me personally? Yeah, I don't like it. I think it's pointless, and a complete waste of resources and their own time to even care about it, but it's their IP, their property, and they technically have the legal right to do it. While I support the passion of artists, I also believe that artists should have say over what happens with their art, and Nintendo are the owners of their own art. If they don't want certain things done, then yeah, they should have a say. Does that mean that I think they should be as aggressive as they are? Absolutely not, but again, not a simple blanket solution.

In short:

pain.png

Last edited:

KingBooGengar57

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-6126-0782-8125
Why are we complaining about Nintendo again if we know that this is what to expect from them?

Dutch Raikuna

The unfortunate truth of the matter too is that this won't do a thing to Nintendo.

The amount of people who this will offend is astronomically small compared to the global audience Nintendo seeks to market to. The actual group behind these events, fangames, mods, and other such things are...Well, take it from someone who adores fan passion project stuff: We're small. In the grand scheme of things to Nintendo, we aren't even a blip. If I had to speculate (since I cannot prove 100%), I imagine they could honestly care less how mad they make us. Especially when we're gonna continue to buy their games anyway, and at the end of the day, if money is still being made, why do they need to care about "bad press"? Why do they need to "value fan opinions" when we fans yell a bit, make a nasty hashtag on social media, spam it to heck and back for a week, and then forget about it and go right back to consuming their products?
That's the counter. If you are just a blip, why should they care until it actually makes a difference?

And on a similar note why should they care about if a part of something like the music of their games is on YouTube when they won't supply the product themselves?

Now granted on that point there was a bit of method to the madness as to why the big N did go mad at taking down video game music cause channels did it with Smash Bros and then again with Three Houses. Still really ****ing hurts honestly.

It does sound selfish of me yes but again my views on piracy are controversial but pretty strong, despite being a creator myself on writing.

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
That's the counter. If you are just a blip, why should they care until it actually makes a difference?

And on a similar note why should they care about if a part of something like the music of their games is on YouTube when they won't supply the product themselves?

Now granted on that point there was a bit of method to the madness as to why the big N did go mad at taking down video game music cause channels did it with Smash Bros and then again with Three Houses. Still really ****ing hurts honestly.
I agree, but that leans into the fact Nintendo is more careful than most: They'd rather avoid a problem entirely, no matter how astronomically small it may or may not be.

If it has even a 1% chance to interfere, nope. Not gonna allow it.

Heck, this isn't new: Part of the GCN's undoing was them making it ridiculous to develop for at the time because they were horrified by pirates and wanted to make a solution to a problem that was arguably not that existent in the first place with their content. One could argue they got skittish after seeing what happened to Sega with the Dreamcast, I suppose, but then again that's even more debatable.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

My last words on this whole thing is that i'm kinda glad I been able to look outside of Nintendo for gaming & whatnot.

Like there's still games I want them & devs I respect, buuut yeah, this kind of stuff keep happening & it's just really soul wasting at that point. Especially when you know how indies devs are generally pretty cool with fangames & whatnot, and companies like Sega are really cool & even hired big fans of their works to help them on big project, which would help out Nintendo so muuuuuuuch more, but nope, instead we have...this.

It just suck for everyone in short.

But hey, still, in spite of this, I wish ya all a great day & for what it's worth, I still look forward to Dread & supportin' MercurySteam, those guys are doing a excellent job so far, and Metroid deserve to be a big success after falling into so many holes. Hopefully Nintendo don't shoot themselves too much in the foot til it's release tho.

Brief, good night folks.

KingBooGengar57

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-6126-0782-8125
There’s a YouTuber I watch named Civvie 11 and he made a Nintendo C&D joke in two of his videos. They were funny.

Last edited:

alexxxela

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7240-1590-9437
Ah, one more thing.
That night, when you smelled smoke and called 911
You told the dispatcher you thought the fire started from Ms. Baker's new oven
But why did you call it oven
When you of in the cold food out hot eat the food
Just seems a little strange to me, that's all.
LIEUTENANT PLEASE LET ME OUT OF THIS OVEN

Shroob

Sup?
Ah, one more thing.
That night, when you smelled smoke and called 911
You told the dispatcher you thought the fire started from Ms. Baker's new oven
But why did you call it oven
When you of in the cold food out hot eat the food
Just seems a little strange to me, that's all.
LIEUTENANT PLEASE LET ME OUT OF THIS OVEN
I see you're both incredibly based.

Dutch Raikuna

I agree, but that leans into the fact Nintendo is more careful than most: They'd rather avoid a problem entirely, no matter how astronomically small it may or may not be.

If it has even a 1% chance to interfere, nope. Not gonna allow it.

Heck, this isn't new: Part of the GCN's undoing was them making it ridiculous to develop for at the time because they were horrified by pirates and wanted to make a solution to a problem that was arguably not that existent in the first place with their content. One could argue they got skittish after seeing what happened to Sega with the Dreamcast, I suppose, but then again that's even more debatable.
And that is the problem with them and many other companies. I get protecting your IP but there are always times where it goes too far. Remember when some anime creator tried to ban fan art of his characters? Yeah.........

As I've said before I know for a fact that some companies (Sony and Universal looking at you both) who would love nothing more than to have all piracy crushed any pirates no matter how much beheaded in public for ripping off just five seconds of music. It's a waste of resources for them to go after pirates when they could use the same amount of time to improve their services.

Of course as always, it's companies taking the easy way out.

That being said about Nintendo but after that brief period of purging game music off YT I've gotten an idea that they are fine with that as long as it doesn't get too big or no-one uploads it around the release window. Noticed since the pandemic began they've became a bit more lenient again and they probably know of the non YT ways to get Nintendo music.

That being said in getting music off the seven seas...........All I can say is that I've won.

Last edited:

KingBooGengar57

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-6126-0782-8125
Now I know not to upload FFIV music to YouTube. Square Enix seems to care more about its music than any other FF game other than FFVII. I had two playlists that I saved and both got copyright claimed.

Last edited:

KingBooGengar57

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-6126-0782-8125
I have only three more maps left to complete in Quake. That is, not counting the expansions or additional episodes. The Pain Maze, Azure Agony, and the final level.

Last edited:

Dutch Raikuna

OK if I talk about piracy anymore I'll start popping blood vessels from the stress it causes. I've downloaded a few cause the others was to pay like £100 for it and not being able to put it on my phone without some awkwardness. Laid Back Camp was one of them. In that I've won.

And if this makes sense but one of the reasons why I so desperately want to travel the world is to not worry about **** like music taken down off YouTube or other annoying changes.

After all:

Traveller Quote.jpg

You guys know that is like my mantra.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Shroob Shroob M MooMew64 i did nothing wrong.
Tsunomaki Watame
(hololive)
View attachment 328071

Spirit Type: Primary :starman::starman::starman: Grab
Spirit Effects: Speed ↓
Opponent: :ultpeach: (White), :ultpeach: (White), :ultjigglypuff: (Red)
Rules: N/A
Conditions:
-The enemy :ultjigglypuff: favors up specials
-Only certain Pokémon will emerge from Poké Balls (Gogoat)
-Reinforcements :ultpeach: will appear after an enemy is KO'd
Stage: Yoshi’s Island (Omega)
Music Track: Yodeling in Meadow Hill

Gonna tag M MooMew64 and Shroob Shroob for this too

Just a penguin

Smash Master
My drafting went pretty well
View attachment 328076
Now I just need to figure out how to make this deck work

😭
Make a skeleton tribal deck. :4pacman:

But seriously, I think that if you have more white low-to-the-ground creatures, you can make a good and fast white deck with Monk in the early game and that dragon land for that last hit or so.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Decided to get around to watching the first five episode of Primal.

Talk about a kick-*** show. Look forward to watching the other 5 episodes as well as season 2 in October.

They should feature a megalania in the show and assuming not done yet have an episode where Spear and Fang are on the ocean facing a pliosaur.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom