• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
You know when you really get down to it. Captain Marvel isn't a good movie especially given the fact its literally just a remake of The Long Kiss Goodnight which also starred Samuel L. Jackson.

Ha ha! The fact the MCU stole the plot from a 90s film.

The Long Kiss Goodnight aka the original Captain Marvel and better version.
I mean, no, it was a good movie actually, and you're just wrong but okay.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Like you said, this will have an affect on the events of Quantumania. But now, I kind of see why Moebius was highly passionate with jet skis.
I know that we have yet to see Richard E. Grant's character as of yet and I have a feeling he is casted as probably one of the timekeepers.
I wonder if Mobius will get to ski one last time before his life ends…and since Kang’s lover/partner Ravonna is leading the TVA…**** gonna get crazy
Scrapped the idea, too many options on the DC side
do what DC does and add more Batman characters

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I also realized how much Sonic the Hedgehog heavily mirrors that of Howard the Duck (1986). It wouldn't surprise me if the director and writers took the plot from that film.

Not that it's a bad thing anyways because Sonic the Hedgehog was a good film.

The same with Legendary with the MonsterVerse regarding the Heisei Gamera Trilogy.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Oh yeah, I went to Knott's Berry Farm with my sister the other day and decided to try a claw machine for the first time and won myself a little prize.

Maybe it was because I was sleep deprived but I legitimately popped off over this. I had way more fun with it then I should have.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Look it up, you'd be surprised how much Captain Marvel mirrors The Long Kiss Goodnight.
I think his point is Captain Marvel is still a good movie even if it borrows plot elements from the 90s, which is likely intentional given how hard it goes with the 90s theme.

I would agree, the movie had really great characters, an inspiring message, catchy songs, and pretty decent humor/action. It was a blast to watch it at the theater with my mom (and the only MCU movie she was a vocal fan of). Helps that it addresses some topics that MCU doesn't usually touch, like individuals questioning authority.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Look it up, you'd be surprised how much Captain Marvel mirrors The Long Kiss Goodnight.
And what's your actual point? That doesn't stop it from being a good movie. Joker ripping off Taxi Driver and King of Comedy while claiming "inspiration" didn't stop it from being a good movie either.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I thought Captain Marvel was a big fat okay.
needed more personality for Carol, but I’m sure The Marvels will fix that right up
it addresses some topics that MCU doesn't usually touch, like individuals questioning authority.
thats just what all the Captain related series/movies love to focus on the most

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I don't think something is automatically bad if it take alot of inspiration from 1 or mutliples medias.

I say it all depend at how the artist tweak/changes some details to make something new out of it. Using new characters to change up the story, making some characters pretty close to their inspiration, but putting in brand new setting that force them to act differently in places, etc..

It's really hard to be truly original these days, so remixing the now millions tropes we have those days until we find the jackpot can work well too imo.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
In honor of their friendship, there should be an episode of Star Trek: Picard where Jean-Luc gets stuck in a Holodeck that is running a Lord of the Rings simulation and he goes on an adventure with Gandalf, with Ian McKellen reprising his role.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Regardless Captain Marvel IMO is one of the MCU's worst films, you guys have the right to heavily disagree, I'm just in that minority.

Again taking from other films can work. As I mentioned Joker, Sonic the Hedgehog and the MonsterVerse films did that exactly.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Regardless Captain Marvel IMO is one of the MCU's worst films, you guys have the right to heavily disagree, I'm just in that minority.

Again taking from other films can work. As I mentioned Joker, Sonic the Hedgehog and the MonsterVerse films did that exactly.
I don’t get how you could call it that. Imo it’s just like every other marvel movie. Hype if your into the character, meh to everyone else.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Hence, "usually".

I have some issues with how that movie kinda sweeps the morally dubious stuff SHIELD did under the rug by going "well, that was all HYDRA"
but that's a different story.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
What I love about seals and sea lions is they're basically merdogs/merpups/water dogs. ^_^
Three of the best animated movies ever (Iron Giant, Lilo and Stitch and HTTYD) are very obviously inspired by E.T.

And they’re awesome
You probably know this but Toothless' design was based off of Stitch's face being both franchises were done by the same creator (Films only of HTTYD which was based on a book series).

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
The amazing thing about Godzilla vs. Kong is it's a mishmash of the following.

-Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice (Zod-Doomsday, King Ghidorah-Mechagodzilla)
-Edgar Rice Burroughs's Pellucidar (Hollow Earth subplot and gravitational anomalies)
-King Kong Escapes (Kong being brought to cold environment and being used to find energy source)
-King Kong vs. Godzilla 1962 (Title and battle between titular monsters)
-Gamera 3: The Revenge of Iris (Godzilla going "rogue" subplot)
-Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla 1974 (Mechagodzilla in the film and alien origin, Godzilla "teaming-up" with mammalian kaiju)

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
The funniest thing about Age of Ultron in retrospect is that Whedon clearly expected Ragnarok to be much more angsty and somber than it actually was, based on Thor's vision.

Y'all know what happens when you assume...

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Marvel is hyping up something with Spider-Man and something called "SpiderManBeyond"

wonder what it's about

but nice news aside...here's some unfortunate and terrible
There was a problem fetching the tweet
he found a way to ruin his life for a bit...and definitely killed off any plans for a Drake & Josh reunion
That's not true, the Age of Ultron was meh for everyone.
actually...not anymore...now it's underrated thanks to the helpings of it extending out long-term storylines despite having to sacrifice Ultron

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
You know when you really get down to it. Captain Marvel isn't a good movie especially given the fact its literally just a remake of The Long Kiss Goodnight which also starred Samuel L. Jackson.

Ha ha! The fact the MCU stole the plot from a 90s film.

The Long Kiss Goodnight aka the original Captain Marvel and better version.
It wasn't a good movie imo but that's not the reason why.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Speaking as an original content creator, creating something truly original is hard. Everything's been done to some extent. See the seven basic plots of literature. You're pretty much forced to borrow a little.

With that said, movies could definitely put more effort into being creative. There are so many remakes and just plain uninspired plots in cinema.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Dayum speaking of Marvel. Just two months away until Black Widow. Two years since the last MCU film thanks to COVID.

Wonder how it'll hold up. As I predicted before, I'm expecting a timewaster at best but only because of the repetitive Marvel formula and tone at this point.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Unironically, I would love to see a live action Toy Story, but only if they animate the toys using actual replicas/toy models of the characters and not CGI.

So like a live action/stop motion Toy Story.
I think there’s a fan video of someone doing that.
Other than the human/animal characters, it’s basically using the real life versions of the toys and having them act the scenes like Marionettes. I think they did at least the first film.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Dayum speaking of Marvel. Just two months away until Black Widow. Two years since the last MCU film thanks to COVID.

Wonder how it'll hold up. As I predicted before, I'm expecting a timewaster at best but only because of the repetitive Marvel formula and tone at this point.
From what I had read from the social media reactions, its mostly been positive. Not sure if I am willing to go to a cinema to watch Black Widow and instead might consider getting it on Premier Access on Disney+.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom