• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
Even thinking about the whole being social thing outside and maybe it's because I'm autistic.

Am I wanting to do stuff IRL friends cause I really want to or am I doing cause I think that is normal?

Both square and Nintendo have zero incentive to collaborate on that level ever again. If that ever changes, then maybe. But it’s not changing any time soon.
Best change of anything close to that is maybe another Mario Rabbids game but that's it.

And to be fair. That game wasn't too bad. Was a pretty great concept that came out nicely at the start of the lifespan.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Box had been opened

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
I have no other option to believe Balan Wonderworld was a cruel social experiment to see how much punishment classic Sega IP fans could take.

And the answer is not much more
It's quite sad. I feel, again, I would have been more forgiving it they had given an artbook with all of the amazing character designs in the freakin' "Showtime Set" instead of a pamphlet. Oh, and if it hadn't given me motion sickness with the first level when I played the demo.
Hell yeah it's my Birthday 😎
:> Happy birthday! 🥳🎂

I...

I...I...

I can't even...I'm sorry...I'm sorry but what!?

Is there even anything more absurd then this!?
I've seen much worse:

I have seen this happening quite often in Japan (though I think this is the first time I also see S.Korea or anywhere else) that I am not surprised anymore.

Dutch Raikuna

As much as I want to do stuff.................I feel pretty tired. Gonna go to bed and then I'm gonna wake up moody as hell, go out and cycle, come home and feel ok.

I have finally realised how tiring exercise actually is when you aren't used to it but to use my favourite quote as I've posted the other day:

main-qimg-4ae1d790f30f78d22b5e427b6ac01eddpollplplmpmpmp.jpg

And that means both mentally and physically. Boom. Life advice from someone who sucks at life.

Anyways goodnight to this lovely crowd.............until I get woken up.

Last edited:

Dutch Raikuna

And of course now **** is kicking off outside. Two teens throwing bins.

Reminds of when a lot of the fights when I was in school was just very violent hugs. Like how do you do a violent hug except squeeze them tight?

I'll have to try to sleep then.

Last edited:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Should I get this game?
IMO, it's the best Paper Mario game we got in over a decade, and it's Paper Mario 4 imo. It's top notch in writing, world building, and has a great, albiet small main cast of characters, but the main drawback is the main enemy battle system, it can get tiring, but the bosses are hella fun and test your strategy to the fullest.

Also, damn we really haven't gotten a single good Paper Mario game in the 2010s. SS sucked ass, Paper Jam sucked ass, and Color Splash was just OK.

Shroob

Sup?
shrugs nostalgia? Money? They just.... want to?
I'm sure that there are employees in both companies that'd be cool with the idea.

The problem is there's probably no real reason for it to happen.

Paper Mario is already the spiritual sequel to SMRPG, with it originally being called SMRPG2 in Japan iirc, before being changed to Mario Story(iirc), and I just can't see a modern Nintendo wanting all these wacky one-off characters in Mario.

SMRPG is just this weird blip on Nintendo's history. Nintendo barely acknowledges it, Square can't really, and Paper Mario came after it which, IMO, completely overshadowed it.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Pranked!
I'm sure that there are employees in both companies that'd be cool with the idea.

The problem is there's probably no real reason for it to happen.

Paper Mario is already the spiritual sequel to SMRPG, with it originally being called SMRPG2 in Japan iirc, before being changed to Mario Story(iirc), and I just can't see a modern Nintendo wanting all these wacky one-off characters in Mario.

SMRPG is just this weird blip on Nintendo's history. Nintendo barely acknowledges it, Square can't really, and Paper Mario came after it which, IMO, completely overshadowed it.
If companies only ever did what they had reasons to do then the crash and spyro revival wouldn’t have happened, banjo wouldn’t be in smash, heck half of the retro revivals that have happened over the years wouldn’t have happened.

Shroob

Sup?
If companies only ever did what they had reasons to do then the crash and spyro revival wouldn’t have happened, banjo wouldn’t be in smash, heck half of the retro revivals that have happened over the years wouldn’t have happened.
The difference there is all of those are completely owned by one company, and for all we know, Banjo could be in line for a revival himself, with Smash being the first step to gauge interest in the IP.

SMRPG is a 2 party game, and that's a huge legal mess.

Square is Square.

And we've seen how Nintendo handles the Mario RPG series as of late, to the point that Geno wasn't even included as his cameo in the remake of SuperStar Saga.

SnakeFighter64

Pranked!
The difference there is all of those are completely owned by one company, and for all we know, Banjo could be in line for a revival himself, with Smash being the first step to gauge interest in the IP.

SMRPG is a 2 party game, and that's a huge legal mess.

Square is Square.

And we've seen how Nintendo handles the Mario RPG series as of late, to the point that Geno wasn't even included as his cameo in the remake of SuperStar Saga.
I really hate the argument that “they’ve never done it before so they never ever will”. Like... you can’t argue against it but it is often wrong.

Shroob

Sup?
I really hate the argument that “they’ve never done it before so they never ever will”. Like... you can’t argue against it but it is often wrong.
I'm not saying that at all.

But games aren't made on a whim. Nintendo and Square aren't going to wake up one morning and say "We wanna make SMRPG!", if they wanted to do that, they'd be in legal talks for god knows how long, and Nintendo being Nintendo would almost certainly throw their weight around to have the greater say in creative decisions as to how the game looks.

I repeat again, Geno wasn't important enough to return as his cameo in the M&L SSS remake, which had been his only appearance in what, 10-12 years at the time of SMRPG coming out? Nintendo doesn't see much to gain from SMRPG when they want full creative control over the Mario RPG formula, and Square has bigger fish to fry like Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest and NiER.

Really, I'd argue that the only Nintendo big wig who super cares about SMRPG is probably Sakurai, and even then, in the end, it boiled down to a Mii costume.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Really, I'd argue that the only Nintendo big wig who super cares about SMRPG is probably Sakurai, and even then, in the end, it boiled down to a Mii costume.
I feel the same way. Geno's best chance to me is just Sakurai wanting to use him and then getting the licensing after getting an okay from both parties. It won't be pushed by any executives, that's for sure.

Last edited:

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
At the end of the day, making money is always going to be the end goal, even if people are passionate about the product their selling. Higher-ups have to take legal concerns, marketability, demand, and a bunch of other stuff into account. I’m not saying companies won’t throw a curveball every now and then, but it’s nothing to bet on.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Nintendo's incentive to work with Square on a Mario RPG isn't going to revolve around returning to SMRPG specifically, because despite the perception online, it's not Geno and Mallow who are going to get the game moving units, it's Mario and the series regulars - and Nintendo already owns them.

The incentive would be if Nintendo wanted to make another Mario RPG and was looking for a studio to handle it, and Square was willing and available. And then they might return to some SMRPG elements, but that would be a side-effect rather than the impetus.

But Nintendo didn't see value in saving AlphaDream, and they seem content with what Paper Mario has become... so their motivation to get Mario into classic RPG territory doesn't seem too strong. Could it happen with Square on board? I guess. The two companies have a good relationship right now. But will it? There's no real pressing reason to believe so. At least not any more than countless other hypotheticals.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Pranked!
I'm not saying that at all.

But games aren't made on a whim. Nintendo and Square aren't going to wake up one morning and say "We wanna make SMRPG!", if they wanted to do that, they'd be in legal talks for god knows how long, and Nintendo being Nintendo would almost certainly throw their weight around to have the greater say in creative decisions as to how the game looks.

I repeat again, Geno wasn't important enough to return as his cameo in the M&L SSS remake, which had been his only appearance in what, 10-12 years at the time of SMRPG coming out? Nintendo doesn't see much to gain from SMRPG when they want full creative control over the Mario RPG formula, and Square has bigger fish to fry like Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest and NiER.

BLASPHEMER!!!!! Hand this traitor from the gallows and stick his Shroobish head on a pike!

Wait... where does his head stop and his torso begin....

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Also, you gotta remember that Geno is still owned by Square, and they want to push their more populqr and ongoing franchises first and foremost.

Think about it: FF7R speculation was all the talk when Cloud was revealed, when Seohiroth came around, the FF7R release hype was still roaring especially with it being at TGA (same shiw with Sephiroth), and immediately after Hero we got a trailer for DQ11S (PLAY IT!!!)

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Running from the cops in Stardust Speedway.
But yeah, Geno is still one character, and an obscure one at that. Plus, even if Nintendo and Square do agree in making a new Mario RPG, it is not like they would continue from the first one and won't start something new where even if Geno was in, it would probably be a cameo.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Can't wait for Nintendo and Square's ingenious collaboration that brought such creative characters such as Geno and Mallow to be reunited and develop into Mario and his team of the exact same Toad in various different hats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom