• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
Imagine speculation with no leaks whatsoever.

Steve was a wonderful surprise in part because, aside from Verge saying there'd be Minecraft representation (that took ages to actually be revealed in respect to when he first leaked that specific info) he wasn't really leaked at all.

As someone who's seen so many leaks, legitimate and illegitimate alike, turn this fanbase into boiling cesspools of tearing at one and other's throats, I'd much prefer that no further info about the game gets leaked at all. But, that' s just me.
+Zhunge leaking him like 10 mins before the Direct lol.

Eh, the grass is always greener, you know. Sure, the feeling of surprise is great, but bop on over to the Newcomer thread sometime in mid November when news has dried up and you'll see how bored everyone is. Does it make the fanbase a little worse off? Sure, I can definitely agree to that, but the trade off then is people get ****ing bored and start to lose interest.

The issue with 'leaks' is that people, or in some cases, entire fanbases, get too invested in particular ones and cling to them like parasites, refusing to let go. When leaks are looked at with discerning, questioning eyes, then all's good, the issue arises when people see something they 'want' to be real and refuse to accept any other possibility.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
You know, I know this thread loves ****ting on the Geno thread, but you know what?

I gotta give points for their dedication and commitment. Never seen a more dedicated fanbase in terms of Smash.
Ridley supporters (myself included) would disagree.

It's one thing when the character is niche in the grand scheme of things and Sakurai has given (notably positive) acknowledgement of the character. It's another when Sakurai literally kept saying "No!" to playable Ridley despite his importance to his respective franchise and popularity, but the fans kept on pushing despite being hard deconfirmed several times; Ridley was arguably the most requested fighter going into Ultimate. And it paid off :ridleyhat:

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946

It's one thing when the character is niche in the grand scheme of things and Sakurai has given (notably positive) acknowledgement of the character. It's another when Sakurai literally kept saying "No!" to playable Ridley despite his importance to his respective franchise and popularity, but the fans kept on pushing despite being hard deconfirmed several times; Ridley was arguably the most requested fighter going into Ultimate. And it paid off :ridleyhat:
Ridley is still one of the best payoffs in this game and there’s a lot of those. I really love getting to play as him finally.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed

Well, almost the same can be said about K. Rool fans tbh. Not a bad thing at all, I'd be popping off if Isaac got in.

However, Geno got the luxury of not being in Smash yet, so his fans are putting overtime in campaigning.

Which is why I don't visit the thread, because it's complete insanity, but I gotta respect the dedication.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
+Zhunge leaking him like 10 mins before the Direct lol.

Eh, the grass is always greener, you know. Sure, the feeling of surprise is great, but bop on over to the Newcomer thread sometime in mid November when news has dried up and you'll see how bored everyone is. Does it make the fanbase a little worse off? Sure, I can definitely agree to that, but the trade off then is people get ****ing bored and start to lose interest.

The issue with 'leaks' is that people, or in some cases, entire fanbases, get too invested in particular ones and cling to them like parasites, refusing to let go. When leaks are looked at with discerning, questioning eyes, then all's good, the issue arises when people see something they 'want' to be real and refuse to accept any other possibility.
Didn't know about that one admittedly lol

I'm already well aware with how often I at least visited that thread. Me, I was personally fine since I was (and still am) focusing on my backlog of games besides Ultimate. And I don't know, was the wait for a newcomer reveal really that bad in hindsight? It wasn't even four months. Yes, people got bored. I don't know if I could say it was all totally just. Was it really that long, all things considered?

And I would agree with that last point...On the condition that another leak akin to the Grinch never sees the light of day again.

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Well, almost the same can be said about K. Rool fans tbh. Not a bad thing at all, I'd be popping off if Isaac got in.

However, Geno got the luxury of not being in Smash yet, so his fans are putting overtime in campaigning.

Which is why I don't visit the thread, because it's complete insanity, but I gotta respect the dedication.
Honestly most of the bigger fanbases make me a bit sad for some of my most wanted characters.

Mostly because I would want to bring up say... Otto Matic from my favorite Mac game Otto Matic but I fear the minute I do I will get drowned in everyone circling back to Geno, hot new leak, Gen 8, rinse and repeat until a new topic comes along.

I would love to campaign for the underdogs, but the big dog keeps jumping over a million fences the underdog can't keep up with.

Shroob

Sup?

I'm already well aware with how often I at least visited that thread. Me, I was personally fine since I was (and still am) focusing on my backlog of games besides Ultimate. And I don't know, was the wait for a newcomer reveal really that bad in hindsight? It wasn't even four months. Yes, people got bored. I don't know if I could say it was all totally just. Was it really that long, all things considered?

And I would agree with that last point...On the condition that another leak akin to the Grinch never sees the light of day again.
I mean, you gotta look at the big picture too.

March happens
"Oh, the character's from ARMs... but we won't say who!"
Debate pretty cleanly splits between Spring Man vs Min Min not even a week after
3 months until Min Min is finally shown off
Utter insanity between July > October
Steve is held back to coincide with Minecon(Source: The URLs of missing news and tournaments not being in numerical order)
And now he's it for the year
Not including Byleth, Min Min and Steve are the only characters this year, with a 5 month gap between Byleth and Min Min, and a 3 month gap between Min Min and Steve, when the prior pass was a clean 2 months between characters, and we have 0 clue when CP8 will drop now since Amiibo theory is dead.

Yeah, it's been a rough year.

Last edited:

Luig

Confused
5 Million dollars sounds about like what I expected, I mean, it's quite little in the scope of Nintendo, a company with a greater yearly operating income than Toyota, which shocked me. They were named the richest company in Japan in 2020.
Just something odd to think about; never thought they'd be making more money than Toyota or Honda. I guess software development has higher profit margins than car production.

D

Deleted member

Honestly most of the bigger fanbases make me a bit sad for some of my most wanted characters.

Mostly because I would want to bring up say... Otto Matic from my favorite Mac game Otto Matic but I fear the minute I do I will get drowned in everyone circling back to Geno, hot new leak, Gen 8, rinse and repeat until a new topic comes along.
When all of my most wants are practically impossible anyway I got used to it fast.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
How do you compensate for killing someone's family and poisoning their water supply? What's the price?
In that order? Hardly a point in poisoning their water when you've already killed them. Seems like literal overkill :p

I'm not doubting their dedication to supporting the character. However the circumstances are very different than Ridley's which seemed a lot more bleak in comparison. Geno fans essentially had more of a reason to support the character as time went on, especially after his Mii Costume was added and Sakurai stated he considered him as early as Brawl. Ridley was in the very first Smash game and every game since and he only now was made playable.

I wouldn't even say K Rool was more dedicated since Sakurai never really made any mention of him until his Mii Costume reveal, and his support only really started to be so strong during the ballot (at least that I noticed) whereas Ridley's was always pretty strong since melee and Sakurai still declined several times.

Shroob

Sup?
I mean I saw the Zhuge tweet, and I was still suprised it was Steve. Well, kinda, I went into fully hype mode when I heard the spider sound.

Because despite that tweet, I thought it was gonna be Geno because of the focus on Mario.
Well, I mean, "Data Miner" was kinda on the nose.

Didn't hurt at all that the guy who leaked Monster Hunter Rise at pretty much the exact same time made a reddit post saying it was Steve.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
That’s a lot of money:
$5m over Joy-con drift? Like they definitely have a case but 5 mil is a bit much IMO
It's a class action suit, so the case represents anyone who has been impacted by Joy-Con drift and the payout would be distributed among those people. So if, say, 1 million people claimed they had joy-con drift, they'd all get $5 as a payout.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Well, I mean, "Data Miner" was kinda on the nose.

Didn't hurt at all that the guy who leaked Monster Hunter Rise at pretty much the exact same time made a reddit post saying it was Steve.
Yeah, Data Miner made me believe it was finally gonna be Steve, and I still thought it was gonna be Geno when the trailer focused on Mario.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
When all of my most wants are practically impossible anyway I got used to it fast.
I still find it hilarious that the most likely of my most wanted characters is frikking Crash Bandicoot! Pre-Cloud this would've been laughable (especially considering Elma's chances are still pretty decent at least compared to Midna and Tifa), but that goes to show how things can change over time.

D

Deleted member

I still find it hilarious that the most likely of my most wanted characters is frikking Crash Bandicoot! Pre-Cloud this would've been laughable (especially considering Elma's chances are still pretty decent at least compared to Midna and Tifa), but that goes to show how things can change over time.
Well.. I mean all of mine(sans one) are 4th party so.....

Not like anime 4th party but I imagine Sakurai and Co aren't exactly keen on adding ****ing.. idk Dark Magician to smash lol

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord

I think the thing that made things feel longer was finding out it was an ARMS character in March. Made Min Min a lot less new and exciting when we had a very good idea of what to expect from the ARMS fighter and had talked about it for months.

Shroob

Sup?
I think the thing that made things feel longer was finding out it was an ARMS character in March. Made Min Min a lot less new and exciting when we had a very good idea of what to expect from the ARMS fighter and had talked about it for months.
Honestly, yeah.

If you had just.... removed the March guessing game and asked for some more time to develop the pass, Min Min's inclusion would have felt... well, different if nothing else.

When she was finally shown off, I wasn't really 'excited' as much as I was "Oh, finally."

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I feel like this year 'sucked' because last year we were spoiled rotten.

We got :ultpiranha::ultjoker::ulthero::ultbanjokazooie::ult_terry:all within 2 months of each other, give or take an extra month for E3, likewise, this year went:

:ultbyleth:> "ARMs character!" > 3 month wait to :ultminmin > 3 month wait to Steve> and now that's probably it for the year.

Next year will feel a lot better, it kinda has to since we're guaranteed the last 4, but this year was just... rough.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
It also doesn't help that Min Min's main gimmick was the longest F-Smash/Range which we've seen 50 ****ing times already, so that didn't really help.

We got :ultpiranha::ultjoker::ulthero::ultbanjokazooie::ult_terry:all within 2 months of each other, give or take an extra month for E3, likewise, this year went:

:ultbyleth:> "ARMs character!" > 3 month wait to :ultminmin > 3 month wait to Steve> and now that's probably it for the year.

Next year will feel a lot better, it kinda has to since we're guaranteed the last 4, but this year was just... rough.
Steve was worth all of it. Best DLC character in a long time.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I honestly was gonna accept that none of my most wanteds were getting in, because all of mine were assists or spirits. The sole exception was Steve.

And Maxwell too, but lets be real that's never happening.
I wish it did. Easiest would be one of the greatest editions of all time in smash.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
So do you all think we could get a joker style teaser at Game Awards this year?

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Most of my random Among Us matches have been surprisingly not toxic at all.

Only got a couple with one nasty player or two, then another with crewmates lying about seeing other crewmates vent.

Maybe it's just because I tend to play the game really late in my timezone? I don't know.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
After last year, I really doubt it.

I'm going into TGAs expecting nothing, especially since the earliest I expect to see CP8 is January/early Feb.
I think it’s possible but I don’t even have a guess at the likelihood. Some years Nintendo goes big like BOTw and Smash, others we get like one announcement. I hope we get a surprise game announcement from them still there.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Mario 64...I slay you...2 NITE

I've been very satisfied with the reveals this year. :ultbylethf::ultminmin have been more hype for me than :ulthero::ult_terry: were anyways...but minority

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
FS.png

NonSpecificGuy NonSpecificGuy I had NO idea the original skin/outfit of the Prince (I think even it a face closer to the old model AND THE SCARS! They're back. Oh, and the dagger, wish it looked exactly like before, but at least it's back to be blue instead of golden) was going to be given if you "pre-order", a friend mentioned it to me and I was like "Wait...what?". Like WHY didn't they take that route from the start? ; - ;

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Ooh, a brand-new social thread while I was away! What should be the first thing I post here...? :kirby:

My name is Shinobu Ishijima. Nice to meet y'all! (Since this is a brand-new social, I felt like reintroducing myself anew.)
:ultpeach: : Worry not, Mario! I shall save you! I did it once before and I can do it again!

I think my girl wants a sequel of Super Princess Peach. What do y'all think?

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I HAVE MADE SUPER MARIO 64 MY *****!!!
1530263081-ezgifcom-crop-9.gif

now onto Sunshine after a normal ass sleep

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

New Treehouse presentation coming tommorow!​
I really hope Pikmin 3 Deluxe does excellently on Switch
View attachment 288646
NonSpecificGuy NonSpecificGuy I had NO idea the original skin/outfit of the Prince (I think even it a face closer to the old model AND THE SCARS! They're back. Oh, and the dagger, wish it looked exactly like before, but at least it's back to be blue instead of golden) was going to be given if you "pre-order", a friend mentioned it to me and I was like "Wait...what?". Like WHY didn't they take that route from the start? ; - ;
oh wow, so they basically just included the entirety of Classic Sands of Time as preorder bonus huh? That’s super dope. I heard somewhere that Classic Sands of Time is actually fully included in the remake but that could’ve been a rumor.

Edit: never mind it’s not SoT it’s PoP1 that’s included.

Last edited:

Luig

Confused
The sands of time remake is one of the most egregious examples i've seen of a remake not being faithful to the source artstyle at all; I really dislike how it looks in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom