• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Snorlax Room

Status
Not open for further replies.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
currently using zapdos as a main lead

it's pretty great

(even though it's wifi and "lead" isn't the best word, i think you know what i mean. it's the go-to lead if i had to pick one)

BairJew

Smash Journeyman
So I have to say through the thousands of options available within this game, especially with the presenting of Black/White the options have further expanded. So I was wondering people's opinions on what strategies you enjoy using or what you base your team around.

I love weather therefore I have a Hail team and a Sandstorm team.

Based around Abomasnow and Tyranitar. These strats have huge flaws however, they are very effective and I can mix it up by throwin other pkmn into the team constantly making my team unpredictable.

So what are others opinions on what makes a good team strategy, and any critiquing on weather teams would be pretty awesome as well.

If you have a sick weather team I would gladly share my team for rating, and enjoy seeing what other strategies are being used. Thanks guys.

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
I'm curious about your other usual teams. What are some other Pokemon that you tend to use? And what Pokemon (or type, if you'd rather) do you usually have on your Hail/Sandstorm team?

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Weather itself basically defines Gen V. Sun probably is the current best weather because it's the last one left that's still unrestricted.

BairJew

Smash Journeyman
Alrighty Here it is:

Hail Team:

Abomasnow- Calm -EV for Sp.Def/Hp
Move set: Gigadrain
Leech Seed
Endure
Blizzard
Mamoswine- Adamant –EV for Attck/Speed (Ability: Snow Cloak)
Move Set: Earthquake
Avalanche
Double Team
Toxic
Walrein- Bold –EV for Def/Sp.Def (Ability: Ice Body)
Move Set: Protect
Blizzard
Aqua Ring
Surf
Weavile- Jolly –EV for Speed/Attck
Move Set: (Messed Up, Open for opinions)
Lapras- Calm – EV for Sp.Def/Sp.Attck (Ability: Water Absorb)
Move Set: Psychic
Thunderbolt
Blizzard
Protect
Froslass- Timid –EV for Speed/Sp.Attck (Ability: Snow Cloak)
Move Set: Double Team
Toxic
Confuse Ray
Blizzard
[To Switch Up the Team I Sometimes Substitute in the Following:]
Delibird- Adamant –EV for Attck/Speed (Ability: Hustle)
Move Set: Ice Shard
Fake Out
Aerial Ace
Protect
Castform- Bold –EV for Speed/Def (Ability: Forecast)
Move Set: Rain Dance
Thunderbolt
Flamethrower
Weather Ball
(Under Construction)
Jynx- Timid –EV for Sp.def/Speed (Ability: Forewarn)
Move Set: Focus Blast
Lovely Kiss
Psychic
Skill Swap

My Sandstorm Team should be up shortly :)

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Abomasnow @ Icy Rock
Calm / Soundproof
4 HP / 4 SpDef
Gigadrain
Leech Seed
Endure Endure synergizes well with your Liechi Berry and Reversal OH WAIT
Blizzard

Mamoswine @ Choice Specs
Adamant / Snow Cloak
3 Atk / 37 Spe
Earthquake
Avalanche
Double Team lol double team
Toxic ARE YOU KIDDING ME

Walrein @ Sticky Barb
Bold / Ice Body
11 Def / 0.5 SpDef
Protect
Blizzard
Aqua Ring DERP YOU SPELLED "SUBSTITUTE" WRONG
Surf

Weavile @ Iron Ball
Jolly / Pressure
511 Atk / -1 Spe
Hyper Beam

Lapras @ Exp. Share
Calm / Water Absorb
0 SpDef / 0 SpAtk
Psychic LOL USING PSYCHIC THAT'S A GOOD ONE
Thunderbolt
Blizzard
Protect (because **** using your STAB Scald to burn things)

Froslass @ Slowpoketail
Timid / Snow Cloak
Spe / SpAtk
Double Team lol double team
Toxic lol toxic
Confuse Ray lol confuse ray
Blizzard

Delibird @ I can't bring myself to format a ****ing Delibird

Castform @ You're kidding, right? Castform?

Jynx @ 252 SpDef / 252 Speed
Timid / Forewarn
Focus Blast
Lovely Kiss
Psychic
Skill Swap (Okay I really regret formatting this Jynx now)
Comments in bold.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I probably couldn't rate that team without getting an infraction.

BairJew

Smash Journeyman
Abomasnow @ Icy Rock
Calm / Soundproof
4 HP / 4 SpDef
Gigadrain
Leech Seed
Endure Endure synergizes well with your Liechi Berry and Reversal OH WAIT (Um?)
Blizzard

Mamoswine @ Choice Specs
Adamant / Snow Cloak
3 Atk / 37 Spe
Earthquake
Avalanche
Double Team lol double team -> Again S.C.
Toxic ARE YOU KIDDING ME -> Again Stall after D.T. or Before D.T.

Walrein @ Sticky Barb
Bold / Ice Body
11 Def / 0.5 SpDef
Protect
Blizzard
Aqua Ring DERP YOU SPELLED "SUBSTITUTE" WRONG(Um? Chill son lol)
Surf

Weavile @ Iron Ball
Jolly / Pressure
511 Atk / -1 Spe
Hyper Beam

Lapras @ Exp. Share
Calm / Water Absorb
0 SpDef / 0 SpAtk
Psychic LOL USING PSYCHIC THAT'S A GOOD ONE (Um?)
Thunderbolt
Blizzard
Protect (because **** using your STAB Scald to burn things) (Um?)

Froslass @ Slowpoketail
Timid / Snow Cloak
Spe / SpAtk
Double Team lol double team ->Snow Cloak->After C.R.
Toxic lol toxic -> Stall after C.R. and D.T. or After C.R. and Before D.T.
Confuse Ray lol confuse ray ->Before D.T.
Blizzard

Delibird @ I can't bring myself to format a ****ing Delibird ->Not meant to last A.k.a. Fake out to get good hits in on Annoying **** with your Partner Pkmn.

Castform @ You're kidding, right? Castform? -> lol I like to try my best to make use of useless things

Jynx @ 252 SpDef / 252 Speed
Timid / Forewarn
Focus Blast
Lovely Kiss
Psychic
Skill Swap (Okay I really regret formatting this Jynx now) (Not to sure whats wrong with this one but aight?)

Edit: This is meant to be analyzed as a DOUBLES TEAM.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Guys, please chill out...whatever problems you have with his team, it's not going to make it any better if you don't actually tell him what to fix. Just telling him that he's wrong without explaining why it's wrong or telling him how to make it better isn't helpful.

BairJew

Smash Journeyman
Oh right, because there's no evasion clause in doubles

MY BAD BRO
I'm very confused about the aggressiveness. But I honestly had no idea I had wasted every bit of my time on this team I thought it was fairly decent for a hail team, I was looking for some help on how I went wrong not a complete bash of what I had done. I apologize if what I posted did not amount to what you were looking for as an overall component in this thread. However, it feels as though your comments neither helped nor attained any overall substance to help me improve my meta-game. If the aspects are not to your liking all you had to do was state so concisely, not in such a way which makes it seems as though you have no outright respect for the newer people in the community asking questions about the complexity of weather strategies and precent data intertwined with evasiveness with certain abilities and moves. I am a new player to competitive aspects of this game and didn't realize that the poke community was quite like this. I profusely apologize for any statements which you somehow analyzed as slanderous towards your previously malice comments. If anyone other than this man, who for some blatant reason despises new players, could help me where I went wrong with these obviously massive flaws I would be quite interested to hear opinions on how I could improve.

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
I loled at first with Wave's bold comments, but I would've told him what's wrong pretty soon after. I'm not an expert on competitive battles, though, so unfortunately I can't help even though I would if I could.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Protip: RMTs go as a new thread in the Battle Tower. Firus lead you to the wrong thread, for some odd reason.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
bairjew

maybe people are just lazy. like, there really are so many bad things about the team, but perhaps people also found themselves too lazy to correct the mistakes. i encourage you to get pokemon-online and practice a bit with hail teams on the simulator. the experience really really really REALLLLLY helps you know what to look out for and how to build good teams in general.

hail is the lowest tier weather so you really need to pay good attention to threats. i think that's one of the first things to look out for. you seem kiiinda to know what you're doing as far as individual pokemon go, like utilizing froslass and walrein's abilities, but it's not enough. you need team synergy that has the strength to beat other teams, and especially other weathers.

for example, take my favorite pokemon for example. this is a pokemon that i've only seen myself use but it's because it's counter intuitive, but still a really good threat that people should prepare themselves for:

"sun cloyster" (covers the dragon weakness and many sandstorm pokemon that can defeat sun teams, and also scizor/ferrothorn if you use hp fire at the right time, since they switch in on cloyster a lot. i think perfect neutral coverage with the ice/rock/fire, but not sure. oh nvm poliwrath resists it.)

Cloyster @ Focus Sash
feelin myself a bit here by using my own set as an example LOL
Naughty, 252 atk / 252 sp / 4 sp.A
Shell Smash
Icicle Spear
Rock Blast
Shell Smash
HP Fire

this thing will set up on your walrein and delibird for free. and since you don't have priority moves or hazards, and cloyster will not take damage from hail, you'll have trouble breaking its sash. boosted rock blast will OHKO all your ice pokemon, INCLUDING walrein (even if you have substitute, which you don't but you should.)

good teams should be conscious of these threats and cover their tracks. cloyster is not even that amazing, but great teams are prepared for it. and that's just the beginning. you also have to figure out strategies to beat really difficult stuff like chansey/ferrothorn cores, and sooo many other variables in the gen v metagame.

so go grab pokemon-online and get experience, because that is the fastest and most reliable way to know anything in competitive pokemon.

also i apologize on behalf of the trolls. learn to ignore them and only accept criticism that is constructive.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
Hax, U-Turn, a bit of bulk, and a sprinkle of priority.

Makes up the majority of my teams.

Machamp, Jirachi, and Flygon are basically staples on every team I make.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
i put that naughty hp fire cloyster on all my teams, haha. i love it.

people keep raving about how nite and ferrothorn are so broken. it's kind of an all-in-one anti-metagame pokemon.

i like scouting teams for a little while and really judging: "okay... hm.... no this... no that... this guy isn't prepared for it."

so i just lead cloyster and sweep.

hp fire ohko's ferrothorn in sun SOOOOO GOOOOOD

even in rain. a boosted icicle spear will do 75%. SOOOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOOOOOOD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom