• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Smash Lab: What is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mmac

Smash Lord
We need some sort of objective....

There is one thing that puzzles me though. How come you can DI a Ground Grab Break, But not an Aerial Grab Break?

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
the smash lab should probably start up soon, since they are creating a bunch of new stuff for brawl+, and there needs to be a way to organize it.

Adapt

Smash Lord
I think hacking of brawl will only be a minor part of the smash lab when it is up and running.

M.K

Level 55
We need some sort of objective....

There is one thing that puzzles me though. How come you can DI a Ground Grab Break, But not an Aerial Grab Break?
Hmm, interesting question!
The only thing I could think of would be that the ground release triggers some sort of "You can DI now" switch in the coding while the Aerial grab break sends you a set distance before you can input commands.
If you think about it realistically, if you break free from someone on the ground, you are able to react much quicker than if someone holds you up in the air and you wiggle free and fall to the ground.
Just my two cents, I'm probably very wrong. What do you think MMac? I don't have much access to a Wii right now, so I'm sorry if this is completely misconstruted.

Sukai

Smash Champion
Perhaps the physics of DIing is different in Brawl as DIing may relate to leaving the ground.
The air physics did indeed change in Brawl for various reasons and it not only affected the obvious, but the smaller things such as this, another thing to look into.
The true effects of the gameplay because of the new airbourne physics.

MuBa

Smash Lord
man, we should have one of these for melee way back. Cuz this is a cool idea, but its gonna be wasted on brawl.

-hiro
Stfu will ya? -_-;

Melee is pefect as it is. Also it has a Debug menu unlike Brawl, from there you can find out hitboxes and frame data easily. With the Homebrew Channel and Ocarina/Gecko OS program, we've been able to actually change the physics to answer few of the questions that SamuraiPanda has asked.

Also we're making Brawl+ so we definitely need our own sub-forum so we can discuss the codes we need for the final release >_>

M.K

Level 55
man, we should have one of these for melee way back. Cuz this is a cool idea, but its gonna be wasted on brawl.

-hiro

Didn't we just say that the Smash Lab will become anything but a Melee vs. Brawl venue?
Your statements do not bode well for you.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
Arguing with him ain't helpin either lol.

@Mmac, I think it's because Aerial Grab Breaks have a set release path up to certain frame, while ground release grabs don't.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
I'll hopefully be sending out PMs soon. I figured that instead of going through Smashboards and admitting people that are good, I can just admit the people I know are already going to make it, then have them nominate other candidates. So there will likely be two waves of entry into the Lab, the second entry coming probably mid-December.

EDIT: And the first wave will likely be quite small. I'd like to have a decent amount of active contributors after these two waves, but I have no idea how many I'll be admitting in the second wave.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Yay SamuPan!

We had all the frame data from Melee thanks largely to Mew2King, it'll be good to have a project like this drive forward our understanding of this game. Whilst M2K has given us some good stats for Brawl, I doubt he'd give us everything again, so it's up to us to collate our knowledge.

Researcher or not, I'll do what I can to help the cause as well as soon as I get some down time (Reaching the end of a traineeship that I'm investing hours of work every day into) lol. The Smash Lab will drive us all towards a greater understanding of the game.

Adapt

Smash Lord
Will we have a chance to show our willingness to contribute and examples of testing we have done?

Several of the potential applicants I know have threads spread throughout the different areas of smashboards. It's doubtful even a small handful of people will remember them all.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
I may have a public admissions thread concurrently with the members-only one, but I have yet to decide about that. If we need more people even after the second wave, then a public admissions thread has a good chance of happening.

M.K

Level 55
I may have a public admissions thread concurrently with the members-only one, but I have yet to decide about that. If we need more people even after the second wave, then a public admissions thread has a good chance of happening.
I have a mixed opinion about public admissions.
I mean, look at the Smash Debaters. We have people with 50 posts who become Smash Debaters only for the name color.
Be wary when starting public admissions, Panda.
I hope he hasn't sent out PMs yet D: I haven't gotten one X/

kupo15

Smash Hero
I mean, look at the Smash Debaters. We have people with 50 posts who become Smash Debaters only for the name color.
I have tried out to be a smash debater twice and Im still not one. I have over 2,000 good posts too.. :(

SCOTU

Smash Hero
We had all the frame data from Melee thanks largely to Mew2King
Actually, SuperDoodleMan did most of the frame data reasearch for Melee, followed by M2K, then Me and Phanna. M2K found probably about 1/4 of the frame data.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I'll hopefully be sending out PMs soon. I figured that instead of going through Smashboards and admitting people that are good, I can just admit the people I know are already going to make it, then have them nominate other candidates. So there will likely be two waves of entry into the Lab, the second entry coming probably mid-December.

EDIT: And the first wave will likely be quite small. I'd like to have a decent amount of active contributors after these two waves, but I have no idea how many I'll be admitting in the second wave.
*semi-hopes they haven't come around yet, because Phil hasn't got one, he got good data for the "quiz" and contributed, and is excited about the non-stagnant, boundary testing, and amazing discussion that will go on in the Smash Lab.*

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
I have a pink username, but I will debate only when I feel the need to state my opinion. ^^"
And yes, I would be sad, because I haven't gotten one as well D:

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Actually, SuperDoodleMan did most of the frame data reasearch for Melee, followed by M2K, then Me and Phanna. M2K found probably about 1/4 of the frame data.
I realise that. Perhaps I should say 'The earliest efforts at obtaining frame data' then?

: O

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
I believe Panda will pick the right people, he wants to best he'll be careful about this one.

*Crosses fingers*

M.K

Level 55
I believe Panda will pick the right people, he wants to best he'll be careful about this one.

*Crosses fingers*
In my opinion, he doesn't need to be TOO careful. I mean, many of the people who have posted in this thread have contributed greatly to the topics at hand. Knowing that only 7-10 of us were even discussing it prominently, I would believe that those 7-10 members should make up the first wave.
...and, I really hope he hasn't sent out the PMs yet. I don't think he has because nobody has gotten one yet :/

crewster

Smash Lord
You should make it so that you have a public addmission but if they aren't active they get "fired".

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
In my opinion, he doesn't need to be TOO careful. I mean, many of the people who have posted in this thread have contributed greatly to the topics at hand. Knowing that only 7-10 of us were even discussing it prominently, I would believe that those 7-10 members should make up the first wave.
...and, I really hope he hasn't sent out the PMs yet. I don't think he has because nobody has gotten one yet :/
Yea, even though I think that a public thread would prove to be interesting.
First of all it would benefit people who didn't come soon enough or weren't able to contribute a lot to the topic (e.g. myself >_>"), and secondly the researchers may get new ideas to look at something because the person who posts into the public thread has thought of some conclusion the researchers didn't think of.
Therefore - if this thread is used properly - new ideas and researchers would stream in, making the research more exciting, interesting and quick.

Even so, I see no reason to only throw in people who can give out straight facts - also conclusions, thoughts, and similar things should be taken into account.

I think MuBa is one of the most deserving people to be in that lab, though.

crewster

Smash Lord
Nice Sig there Vyse!

EDIT: I mean the SBR request one, how do you make it change?

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
I say a little more then 10, but I completely agree. I don't even think you needed yo get it it right, just that you've done testing and have to ability to find answers, then test for the best one.

M.K

Level 55
I say a little more then 10, but I completely agree. I don't even think you needed yo get it it right, just that you've done testing and have to ability to find answers, then test for the best one.
Agreed. The Smash Lab is going to be all about Trial and Error.
Showing the ability to gather, decipher, and interpret data will be the pinnacle talent of someone who would be accepted into the Smash Lab.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom