• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Smash Brothers - Series Discussion

Col. Dingus

Smash Rookie
Yeah I kinda had the same thought process. Melee was a pretty big game that i played with friends, took a few years till I started playing competitively but stopped playing for years. The Doc has brought me back to start playing after my hiatus

Btw if you live around Houston, we have a tournament (PATS 3) around the end of November if you're interested in joining the local scene for Melee
Yes I do, I live around Spring, north of Houston. That's pretty cool I never knew about this, I have to join in on the next one you guys have. I will think about this. Thanks for the info.

Cowsaymeow

Smash Cadet
Yes I do, I live around Spring, north of Houston. That's pretty cool I never knew about this, I have to join in on the next one you guys have. I will think about this. Thanks for the info.
Im bout to PM some more info. I'm also a noob so its nice to maybe go against some new players as well lol

aznplayer213

Smash Rookie
Long time lurker but I gotta post about this documentary. Its damn good and great to hear a lot of stories about past and present Melee. Keep up the work gents!

Jace08

Smash Lord
dude, samox. You did some amazing work. Every episode was fantastic, and exactly the kind of thing our community needs. I don't think I'll ever forget the Isai episode

thanks for sacrificing all that time and effort for us

VeniceBeast

Smash Rookie
I made this account just to give you all a shout-out!

All my console gaming buddies when I was young were mostly garbage at games, and they, and thus I, never moved up to the upper echelons.
When I started getting (relatively) crazy good at Melee or Soul Calibur II, they'd always say I was "being cheap", and at some point would want to stop playing, never had committed sparring partners.

I never kept up with the smash community besides random YT vids here and there, so watching this documentary has been beautiful to see all the wonderful personalities who were able to find and stick to the proper environments to have their dreams and skills flourish!

You all rock, and the documentary's writing and editing were phenomenal.

If any of you are ever in Venice Beach (LA) know you have a fan close by - I've lived on both coasts and in Mountain Time as well so I got love for you all - PEACE

Noce

Smash Rookie
Just wanted to say the documentary was amazing. Shoutout to everyone in the smash community for keeping it alive.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
The Smash Brothers is modern movie making at its best and should be entered in something like the Sundance Film Festival to help expose it to a broader audience.

SAUS

Smash Ace
****ing amazing.

Watched the whole thing and then watched my favourite parts a few more times. Now I'm showing it to my GF. She likes it and she doesn't even play smash.

Isai episode is definitely my favourite, but I really liked the first 2 episodes and the Ken episode. I also really love the parts where Wife and the other interviewees talk about how they "found themselves or a second self" in melee and its community. I know I did as well and some of my best friends today are people I met playing melee.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
Right now I’m trying to pitch Samox on making a new movie that he can actually profit from. It would be a film that revolves around the competitive Melee tournament scene. Basically the movie would be a reimagining of the film Amadeus in that a particularly gifted Smash player is being undermined by someone who he believes is an ally but is in fact so riddled with jealousy as to be an adversary. I’m willing to help Samox write the screenplay and get funding for the project.

I'm known in several video game and Nintendo circles as a pretty good writer. Here's an example of my work:

During the holiday season of 1997 my local Blockbuster Video had replaced Super Mario 64 in the promotional kiosk with Mario Kart 64. As some of you may be aware MK64 is my favorite game on the N64 having spent literally hundreds if not thousands of hours playing it with friends. I was in Blockbuster browsing around Christmas time because N64 games were still rather pricey back then so I tended to rent before committing to a purchase.

There was a hardcore gamer looking guy of about 19 years old playing Mario Kart 64 and I could tell he had some skills because he was pulling off mini-turbos around just about every corner. He must have noticed me watching him because he arrogantly mentioned that MK64 was also a multiplayer game and would I like to race against him. I hesitated for just a brief moment but instinct got the better of me and before I knew it I had controller number 2 clutched tightly in my hands and I was counter-picking Wario to his choice of Donkey Kong. I guess in the heady moments leading up to our race I reckoned he'd try to bump me off the track if I picked a lighter yet more forgiving character like Toad or Yoshi. I let him pick the track and engine size for our Versus bout- he showed absolutely no mercy by picking Royal Raceway and 150cc so immediately I knew this guy meant business.

We both got the turbo at the start of the race which seemed to take my opponent by surprise and I felt him hesitate ever so slightly as we approached the first turn. He compounded his error further by not getting a full mini-turbo which allowed me to pull ahead as we made our way down to the edge of the lake which rests tranquilly at the center of the track. As luck would have it, I had picked up a single banana as my item and I opted to gamble by dropping it at the bend rather than dragging it behind me. My gambit paid off as I heard DK squeal in distress as he spun out of control and in to the lake. Within ten seconds of the start of the race my opponent standing next to me was already grumbling under his breath. He was far too skilled and hardened a warrior to admit defeat so early as he knew that Mario Kart 64 offers up a wicked level of handicap advantage to those who fall behind, and sure enough his next trip through an item box rewarded him with a deadly red shell. By this point I had also been granted a practical implement, given the fact that I was in first place, in the form of a green shell and this time I wisely chose to drag it behind me for defense. Yeah, this guy was quite the tactician as he showed the patience to wait until I was on the other side of the ramp and in the S-turn before launching his homing shell but to no avail as it harmlessly hit the green shell I had in tow.

By this point a small crowd had gathered behind us to take in the spectacle. I never dared look back at them as I knew a victory would take every ounce of concentration I could muster but I was aware of the spectators at a near subconscious level. Besides, they occasionally made their presence known by their guttural gasps whenever they sensed a possible lead change.

Royal Raceway is a very long track and we did jockey for position several times as the slightest error on either of our behalves would cost us the lead. It became apparent the winner of this race wasn't going to be the person with the better driving ability but the challenger with the sharper mind and an edge in luck. Much luck was needed too as Versus also ramps up the excitement by placing yellow bombs on the track which can be, and often are game-changers if one errantly collides with them.

On that day chance was on my side as I was able to lay down a suppressing field of bananas near the end of the track. In fact, there were so many bananas strewn about that we both started to slide on them as we headed down the homestretch. My victory was assured only because I was able to pull myself out of the slide by a deft tap of the brake and regain just enough control to stay on the course. As I did - the half dozen or so people watching erupted in to a roar with some of them even stepping forward to pat me on the back.

Yeah... that was a moment that I'll never forget and part of the reason why the N64 will always hold a special place in my heart.

samox

Smash Journeyman
FYI - Looking for a way to sell the DVD without being immediately hanged in a public square by twenty five lawyers.

Blother

Smash Cadet
I don't think I ever appreciated melee until I watched this documentary. It has really motivated me, as well as a few friends, to really learn the game. I have mentioned this a bit in other threads I have posted on, so I'll say it here too. Melee needs to put out and promote more streaming. Not only tournaments but casual play/practice. Streams are extremely beneficial for learning and they also get people more interested in the game, which would be great in combination with the hype from this documentary.

Yeroc

Theory Coder
BRoomer
FYI - Looking for a way to sell the DVD without being immediately hanged in a public square by twenty five lawyers.
If it's only 25 you should be good dude. Lawyers are weakly, smarmy bunch and a man of your stature and hardiness should easily be able to take them on. Plus you have an army of enamored fans to help you. They don't stand a chance.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster

I just don't see anyway for you to profit from all your hard work as there are simply too many copy right issues that weren't addressed on the front end.

You can burn DVD copies of your complete documentary and give them away but the moment you start to make money the suits will be on you like white on rice.

You gotta make a new doc/film that capitalizes on your stock footage & original music and has all the copy right isuses resolved from the start. That's why I recommended the project I did and with your directorial talent and my writing ability we'd easily have a commercially viable product. Heck, I'm sure we'd even win next year's Sundance Film Festival.

Todd Bonney

Smash Lord
I thought this was great. You explained the basic gameplay and advanced techniques really well, and some stories were really interesting. Around here, our tourney attendance has grown hugely in the last few weeks, most of the increase from new players, and I can't help thinking The Smash Brothers contributed to that. Thanks for a great series.

I just thought it was too long. I as expecting one 90-minute to 2-hour movie, and was overwhelmed with 7 30- 40 minute episodes. I think you ought to bite the bullet and pick and choose stories to tell in "the documentary," and leave the extra stuff on the cutting room floor or as online extras (a bit of a moot point considering your medium, but I stand by the idea). I love smash, and even I got bored during parts. It took me over a week to watch them all.

I thought it was weird referring to yourself as "the producer." Just introduce yourself and narrate in first person, or give yourself a name.

iRanch

Smash Cadet
I thought this was great. You explained the basic gameplay and advanced techniques really well, and some stories were really interesting. Around here, our tourney attendance has grown hugely in the last few weeks, most of the increase from new players, and I can't help thinking The Smash Brothers contributed to that. Thanks for a great series.

I just thought it was too long. I as expecting one 90-minute to 2-hour movie, and was overwhelmed with 7 30- 40 minute episodes. I think you ought to bite the bullet and pick and choose stories to tell in "the documentary," and leave the extra stuff on the cutting room floor or as online extras (a bit of a moot point considering your medium, but I stand by the idea). I love smash, and even I got bored during parts. It took me over a week to watch them all.

I thought it was weird referring to yourself as "the producer." Just introduce yourself and narrate in first person, or give yourself a name.

He wasn't the one narrating.

SAUS

Smash Ace

I disagree.

I think the jargon of smashers could have been explained a little bit more ("I 4-stocked him", for example). I am re-watching it with my girlfriend and she doesn't know what some things mean. I like that DI and L-cancelling were explained in that epic manner, but I don't think those guys returned for the rest. I think there was a decent amount, but just a bit more would have been perfect.

The length was long for a watch-the-whole-thing in one sitting video, but I've seen other documentaries that use an episode system and they usually total to this sort of length. My girlfriend found one about Asian cooking and these 2 people went pretty much everywhere in Asia to try eating/cooking the food. It was quite long, can't remember really, but it was a least 3 hours long (really can't remember how long it was lol).

I don't think I found any parts actually boring - some were slower, yes, but I don't feel like there were bad parts.

Gtown_Tom

New England Melee TO
As someone who didn't even know about the competitive Melee scene until mid-2012 but had played the game for years, I loved the Smash Brothers documentary. For me, it filled in a lot of blanks about the competitive community's background; also, it has motivated me to get off the sidelines and start practicing. Thank you and congratulations for this brilliant piece of work, samox.

samox

Smash Journeyman
Almost done with the remaster! Don't be expecting anything wildly different - in fact, the biggest thing most people will probably notice is simply the different color on the Kopimi logo (it'll be red for "remaster"... get it?).

That said, I'm glad it'll be out there. A few changes here and there that I think will enhance the overall experience for most viewers.

I'll also (hopefully) be relaunching my website at the same time - remastered of course.

More to Come!

swordstorm

Smash Rookie
Almost done with the remaster! Don't be expecting anything wildly different - in fact, the biggest thing most people will probably notice is simply the different color on the Kopimi logo (it'll be red for "remaster"... get it?).

That said, I'm glad it'll be out there. A few changes here and there that I think will enhance the overall experience for most viewers.

I'll also (hopefully) be relaunching my website at the same time - remastered of course.

More to Come!

I signed up to say please drop the **** joke. It's not worth alienating people. Wes representing the it's just a word side of the argument. I loved the documentary and I'm gonna get into it as a direct result of your documentary and I want the game to be played by as many people as possible. Forget the issue, your documentary will convert people to smash, but less people if you leave that in.

you could make an awesome anime fight scene out of most high level smash fights. Even ones with hungrybox. Mew2king crescent slashing back up to the stage by his fingertips vs shiz and having his flaming body fall a couple character lengths behind him is just picture perfect. He took shiz's first life with an out of nowhere gimp in the first place. Shiz basically 3 stocks him on his 3rd (2nd? not sure which order they're numbered in) stock. Mew2king kills that stock at over 140% but just executes his other 3 each when he catches him in the wrong place. That whole fight is one of the best thing's I've ever seen. And how the **** is 30 minutes of armada camping hungrybox so enjoyable? That all in rest at the end made a great video a classic. I save every 2nd smash video I watch to google docs because I don't want to lose them (i've never saved a youtube video to anything other than my favorites before which I have over 900 of). I gotta get a gamecube. The details are a little fuzzy but I know mattdotzeb vs kage the warrior is epic too because it's saved in there too nothing picturesque but I remember it was back and forth with loads of cool moments. That moment in the doc too where Isai jumps off stage at some point in singles bracket he wins and it looks like he's gonna suicide trade leaving him behind by one stock but he just smashes the other guy off the side and flies back and doesn't miss a beat. DJnintendo on bowser vs unknown 522 is another sick fight. Just seeing bowser moving around like that was awesome but the best thing about that was how many huge hits he took flying to the blast zone or whatever its called and coming back, especially the trades where fox makes the mistake of going blow for blow and bowser recovers even at higher percentages but fox goes flying to his death. I've been browsing smash videos for a day and I've already found some of the best videos I've ever seen. That's why I took the time to register. That dumb pointless joke could hurt the game.

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
Love this documentary. Such great execution. You picked all the memorable sets and I got nostalgic watching all of it. I felt like every piece and every scene deserved to be there, to explain the rich history of the game, and add all the personality of the players you were covering.

If there were to ever be another person deserving of an episode, I would imagine it to be Armada who definitely sparked something wonderful at Genesis imo. But what is there is certainly amazing, and the way the players were introduced and their impact in chronological order was just pure great storytelling. I was thoroughly engaged the entire time, loved every second of it.

Thank you for such a great piece. I've shared it with almost all my friends, smashers and fighting game players alike. We've also had our fair share of new players pop up, saying they watched the documentary and were inspired to come out and play. I couldn't even imagine doing the game better justice. Thank you.

SKM_NeoN

Smash Journeyman
omg! Reichenbach in episode 4!

In early 2012 I was deployed to Bagram Air Field in Afghanistan to assist Baltimore in their mission, which was Reichenbach's unit. I went over the munitions accountability sheets with him almost every day, so I was shocked when I recognized him from the documentary. He mentioned that he recorded some matches of Melee during its heyday, but I had no idea he had such a big contribution to the community. Small world.

ThePrime

Smash Lord
The production value from the documentary was really impressive samox so hats off to you there. You also did a great job hitting the key points in the "smash timeline" in terms of significant tournament sets and tournies.

My only complaint is the lack of west coast representation (I know this was physically hard to do since you live so far away though so I totally understand). For example there was no mention of the genesis tournaments nor was there any mention of the Big House series. Genesis was pretty fundamental imo it was the first time where smash really felt like something international since it was the first time Armada came to the U.S. Genesis also really jump-started the melee scene and added that spark in people's hearts about the game and where it could go imo especially when people saw mango's awesome rests on armada, being there live for that was SUCH an experience it was chills man. I also say all of this because I felt like Mango as a figurehead was misrepresented in how he was portrayed in the video, and to remedy that would be to shed some more light on the west coast scene.

I really hope to see MORE from you samox ! Since you didn't mention armada you could maybe use that as your next stepping stone in to another series? The next chapters in the awesome melee history book that we have in front of us.

Charmilio

Smash Apprentice
So, after much trepidation and many years of not actually doing so, I finally made an account here on smashboards, mostly to thank you, Samox. While I could go on forever about the sheer production quality and effort that has obviously gone into this amazing series, I'll just say that you've really made something really worth watching, and really put Melee in the limelight in a way that just hasn't been done yet- and it was pretty radical to watch. If only more aspiring directors showed the kind of ambition that you did with the scope of this project.

EDIT: And assuming you don't mind (I assume so because the description clearly says 'free to share' but I'd like to ask anyways) I'd love to download all the remasters and post them up on bitGamer v2, possibly the songs as well.

misingnoglic

Smash Rookie
Thank you so much for making this. I'm a big brawl fan (mostly cause I was in elementary / middle school for Melee and Brawl just came out at the perfect time) but this documentary made me really appreciate the top melee players. I don't know, there's something about watching these people in their prime that makes you want to be the best at something, whether it's for Ken's confidence, Isai's loyalty, Azen's talent, KDJ's determination, M2K's patience and discipline, or just the general amazing community that I learned about watching all these videos. I think I almost damn well cried when they talked about how much happier M2K was after being in the smash community, because these people gave him a chance in the world.

December 9th Project M is coming out and if I don't strive to be the best over break then I don't know what I'll do.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
Yo guys, two things I want to say:

1) I'm having a Reddit AMA HERE for maybe 12 more days or so (more or less) - http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/1rluq5/ctemp_mew2kings_ama_and_lots_of_other_stuff/

A lot of stuff is there about a lot of different things, including Indie games that my friends and I are making, so please check it out

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2) Isai will be streaming every Tuesday night on the www.twitch.tv/clashtournaments channel for Super Smash Bros. 64. He will play other players online, with ~500+ people watching at a time each Tuesday night. We just started this recently.

To support Isai, CT, or myself (mostly supports Isai though tbh), tune in every Tuesday night, and tell your friends (esp if they like Smash 64).

more info can be found here - http://smashboards.com/threads/twit...l-smash-bros-page.317976/page-5#post-15970673

any future changes will be posted here: www.facebook.com/clashtournaments and/or here:
http://smashboards.com/threads/week...ght-11-26-8pm-pst.341866/page-3#post-15970541

Lastly, we will eventually upload a lot of the good matches on this channel: www.youtube.com/clashtournaments

(me/chibo/isai still have to talk about that last part though).

----------

Since CT is streaming most of Apex, support the TWITCH , FACEBOOK , and YOUTUBE channels!

-------

Synkhronisity

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5472-6514-0195
Massive shout outs for this documentary. I literally can't stop watching it, it's just sooooo well done.

All my friends have seen it now too and it got us a lot more involved in Melee in general (including my reason for making a smashboards account.)

Thank you for showing how great our community is, mad props to you dude.

Top Bottom