• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Smash Affiliates - Making appearances here and there since 2006

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
Hey I will drive to Mogwai's. I can stop in Jersey to pick people up as long as it before or close to the Parkway exit (11?) on the turnpike.

Assuming things are cool with his roomy, 1st come 1st serve.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
scraftin anyone

and make medelson stay
medelson was kept up until 5ish by Cactuar and Aesir playing and woken up at like 10ish by Cactuar screaming like Hard Gay last time I had a smashfest there, so like, I think he's pretty heavily against smashfests when he's around. He also only plays Settlers out of our 3 games of choice. I dunno, I'll talk to him about it if I ever leave work tonight.

EDIT: I'll probably take a craft break once I get done my current task, so I'll just AIM you when that is (probably only a half hour or so).

R3N0

Smash Lord
TSA... frightfest is gonna be over :'( unfortunately.. TSA trip to where though.. maybe paintball in Nov?!!! how awesome would that BE??!?!

Skirmish USA. hotspot. anyone interested? ME

btw .. maybe wozy.. if we do this tsa meeting @ mogwais... can i come to u and catch a ride up =D? i dont think any tsa in ny would go.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
medelson was kept up until 5ish by Cactuar and Aesir playing and woken up at like 10ish by Cactuar screaming like Hard Gay last time I had a smashfest there, so like, I think he's pretty heavily against smashfests when he's around. He also only plays Settlers out of our 3 games of choice. I dunno, I'll talk to him about it if I ever leave work tonight.

EDIT: I'll probably take a craft break once I get done my current task, so I'll just AIM you when that is (probably only a half hour or so).
HwoooOOOOOOOOoooo!

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
Have you even played it before? :bee:
Yeah I have.

Why would you ever want to play a 45 minute MMO using an RTS engine?

RTS's strength is being able to manage resources, units and macro/micro property to out strategize, overwhelm and outsmart your opponent.

DotA is a microfest and completely downplays the unit management money management and macro aspect of RTS. I feel like tower defense has more strategy and gameplay depth then DotA.

If I wanted to control one character I would play WoW.

it does suck

it's devastatingly simple and straightforward
I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not.

Also, has anyone noticed sometimes when you go to edit a post the save and cancel buttons change to Vote Now.

pockyD

Smash Legend
in meant simple and straightforward in the sense that it's almost scripted and mechanical... there's very little room for variation between where you select your character and when your team decides to try to win the game 30 minutes later

like you said, it's just an mmorpg with most of the bad parts and very few of the good parts, it's almost strictly not an RTS at all, and requires barely any control (i'd guess that you could get away with 50 apm and be a top dota player

pockyD

Smash Legend
Wed, 26NOV08 CO1829 M SAN FRANCISCO
(SFO) 10:30PM NEWARK EWR
(EWR) 6:49AM (27NOV) 757-300

Mon, 01DEC08 CO648 M NEWARK EWR
(EWR) 4:15PM SAN FRANCISCO
(SFO) 8:00PM 737-800 Snack

edit: a cool $459 =[[[

flying coast to coast is so incredibly expensive

Warrior of Zarona

変身
BRoomer
Are you a social drinker? I would like it if, aside from the meeting, we should hang out in a bar somewhere, or go to Hoboken with myself and Copy.

Warrior of Zarona

変身
BRoomer
If there are some nice bars in CT, then let's go for that.

I wouldn't know what to do about the underage folk though.

*COUGHSENSEILRN221PLZCOUGH*

pockyD

Smash Legend
will you guys be embarrassed when i order strawberry daiquiris :embarrass

also wtf if you have 86 in your name like JediSmash86, you should be born in 86

teh_spamerer

Smash Master
Why would you ever want to play a 45 minute MMO using an RTS engine?
It doesn't play at all like an MMO <_<. There is no questing, no grinding, no gold farming, etc.

RTS's strength is being able to manage resources, units and macro/micro property to out strategize, overwhelm and outsmart your opponent.
You need to manage gold, your hero, micro exceptionally well, out strategize, overwhelm, and outsmart your opponent in DotA as well.

DotA is a microfest
Micro is fun :bee:

and completely downplays the unit management
Downplays multiple unit management*

money management
Are you insane? You need to spend your money as perfectly as possible and you can't use the EXACT same builds every game and different heroes have drastically different builds. You have to adapt to whatever heroes are on the other team. Proper money management is 100% essential unless you're playing against noobs. It's at LEAST as important as the micro.

and macro aspect of RTS.
Yeah macro isn't a part of DotA. It's not a part of Smash either, I still <3 Smash :bee:.

I feel like tower defense has more strategy and gameplay depth then DotA.
Tower Defense has zero gameplay depth whatsoever LOL. You just build the most broken towers in the most broken shape possible.

If I wanted to control one character I would play WoW.
Why do you like Melee then? You only control one character in that too :bee:.

pockyD

Smash Legend
It doesn't play at all like an MMO <_<. There is no questing, no grinding, no gold farming, etc.
isn't like 80% of a dota game grinding and gold farming?

and people enjoy the questing in mmorpgs, which is the thing that it's missing =\

You need to manage gold, your hero, micro exceptionally well, out strategize, overwhelm, and outsmart your opponent in DotA as well.
do you also need to outwit, outplay, and outlast them? :laugh:

strategies are largely set in stone, builds are almost universally scripted, and you barely need to micro at all

really, if this was what you wanted, i don't see how it would be any better than playing counter-strike, unless you were an awful shot, which is forgiven in a dota-style game because it requires no precision -_-

Downplays multiple unit management*
why not play an fps if you just like managing your one unit? at least you get more control =\

Are you insane? You need to spend your money as perfectly as possible and you can't use the EXACT same builds every game and different heroes have drastically different builds. You have to adapt to whatever heroes are on the other team. Proper money management is 100% essential unless you're playing against noobs. It's at LEAST as important as the micro.
the action/reaction is minimal though... you know if you see hero C, you need items X, Y, and Z, so you spend 30 minutes building up the money (by killing npc units? =[) to acquire X, Y, and Z -_-

Yeah macro isn't a part of DotA. It's not a part of Smash either, I still <3 Smash :bee:.
k, now imagine in smash, instead of inputting commands, you select your opponent's character and press one of 3 attack buttons, and the game does combos for you =\

even better, the combo in question is apparently laser->laser->laser->laser

Tower Defense has zero gameplay depth whatsoever LOL. You just build the most broken towers in the most broken shape possible.
pretty much

tower defense is just about watching things explode and not really comparable

because in melee you actually control them, instead of having the majority of relevant actions done for you

Velocity

Smash Lord
*turns head* (>_<) Hi guys.......I'm Woz *turns head other way and laughs with mouth open and shaking head*

Edit: I can go to stuff and drinks. whenever I am anywhere where drinks are I have to drive home and don't drink.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
I'd be stoked to go out barring, but CT can be pretty pricey and I haven't been around enough on weekends to find a good happy hour type situation for a saturday :ohwell:. For CT, we may want to just do drinks at my place, but maybe us over 21ers (and anyone cool enough to have a fake ;) {Sensei get on it}) could go out on Friday in WoZ country.

pockyD

Smash Legend
regardless, i'd rather hang out for a day, maybe or maybe not go to the bar or whatever that night, and then either hang out the rest of that night and go home in the morning or just go home that night

i want to have time to spend with my parents too -_-

and i need to buy clothes; i know this is super lame and incredibly pointless, but i've actually been putting off buying clothes because i want to save on tax =\

teh_spamerer

Smash Master
k, now imagine in smash, instead of inputting commands, you select your opponent's character and press one of 3 attack buttons, and the game does combos for you =\

even better, the combo in question is apparently laser->laser->laser->laser
That is quite possibly the most ELECTRIFYING combo in smash :bee:

doyoung2win

Smash Ace
of course you are hazzard, you the man.

but really, whats going on the 29th? lol.

I used to play dota, its more about map awareness than anything. And if you consider teamwork as part of the game then working together technically can count as controlling more than one unit. also items and summons and clones and mirrors can also spawn more units.

I'm starting to play Counter Strike again pretty heavily and even share a dedicated server with some of my friends. Come play me.

I used to play paintball on a sponsored team before I got into smash. Get at my large gear bag and equipment.

Spam, i gotta play you to get ready for sat.

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer

Pocky basically said what I wanted to say in a much better way.

But this quote really bothers me. Like are you really going to make the analogy between Dota and smash like this? They are completely different genres.

Smash is a platform fighter (or whatever you want to call it.) Dota and Ladder are within the context of THE SAME GAME. My original argument was that DotA downplays many of the strengths and drawing points of an RTS game.

I play Starcraft and Warcraft for those RTS facets I mentioned earlier. I play smash for its completely different mechanics.

I don't play an RPG for its competitive merits and I don't play puzzle games for the storyline. Just like I don't play smash for macro and I don't play starcraft/warcraft to control one character and have the actions done for me.

Phillies Rock!

Warrior of Zarona

変身
BRoomer
Pocky is coming back for that weekend, so the current plan is to go to Mogwai's and we'll all hang out there, and it's also because he offered his place. NJ is pretty centralized for all of us though, so if someone else wants to offer their place, they still have a chance.

Also, of course you're part of TSA Hazz.

Edit: Important update on the Social Group. Go check it.

Top Bottom