• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The Smash 4 Question and Answer Thread

D

Deleted member

How do I properly pull off pivoted fsmashes? I can do pivoted tilts and grabs just fine, but it's doing smashes that I perform well ever.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stryker95

Smash Journeyman
How do I properly pull off pivoted fsmashes? I can do pivoted tilts and grabs just fine, but it's doing smashes that I perform well ever.
Just like a PP Ftilt only the timing is more strict. I do not know if it works with the C-stick (set to smash) but you can do it with the A button.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Any way to sorta buffer a FF Air Dodge?
Like after you're about to get hit after being Dthrow'd.

Stryker95

Smash Journeyman
Not that I am aware of. I am pretty sure there is a ten frame buffer window on moves but am not sure about while in hitstun. I think it is just a matter of timing.

Flukey

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1220-8509-1898
Lately i'm having problems going online on my 3ds since the last patch and new modem, "A Communication error has occurred" and there is no error code, i already moved the DMZ settings, and NAT settings, this only happens with sm4sh.

Does anyone has or knows a solution?, i already made a sweep to the nintendo techforums and no luck so far.

Thanks in advance!

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
Sorry, no go. You have to fastfall before the airdodge, which isn't possible in a tumble state.

That being said, you wouldn't really want that as an escape out of Dthrow... it'd be pretty easy to get tanked by the landing lag, and a lot of times there isn't even enough time to airdodge anyway.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Sorry, no go. You have to fastfall before the airdodge, which isn't possible in a tumble state.

That being said, you wouldn't really want that as an escape out of Dthrow... it'd be pretty easy to get tanked by the landing lag, and a lot of times there isn't even enough time to airdodge anyway.
I don't agree. a buffered FF Airdodge (if it was possible) would be an amazing tool.
It would really help Vs those 50/50 scenarios.

Let's say you're ROB and you Dthrow me at those %s where Dthrow > Uair isn't garantueed even if you read my DI correctly.
If I airdodge, you wait and kill me - if I don't airdodge, you kill me right away.
If I were able to insantly FF airdodge, both of those options wouldn't work, and I'f I'm high enough in the air when FFing the airdodge, I don't think I'd suffer the dodge-lag.
You'd be pretty much forced to read this to be able to punish it, unless my character's FF is horrible.

But why am I even taking this further. It doesn't work anyway :/

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
Forgive me, I think I must've been in a hurry and didn't think about combos at high percents. That being said... airdodges already require a read to beat. Waiting to throw out an attack would give you a pretty similar punish window (if not larger due to potential landing lag) that should give you enough time to punish either one pretty much on reaction.

It's... interesting to consider, if you get punished for it the punishment might be better or worse than what you'd recieve in the air depending on the character and the situation. I think most of the time you'd end off worse onstage, because they'd get another try at the combo, or even a chance to whallop you with a fast smash attack if they read the option specifically (Or just start a fairplane if you're Shiek), but if you're at the ledge you could completely escape situations like Mario's 50/50 dunk. It'd be another option, seemingly situational but useful nonetheless.

xDizxy

Smash Journeyman
How many hits does it take to get 100% at credits? I seen a youtuber get 100% at 300 but when I do it, it doesn't reach 100?

Stryker95

Smash Journeyman
How many hits does it take to get 100% at credits? I seen a youtuber get 100% at 300 but when I do it, it doesn't reach 100?
Hits don't matter. When you hit a credit it reveals the picture the credit was at. You need to reveal the entire picture to get 100%.

Tenletters23

Smash Padawan
NNID
Bungalojoe23
Was wondering if anyone knew exactly what qualifies something as a true combo in training mode. A friend told me that for it to register as a true combo the opponent has to be still locked in hit stun. I ask because if that's correct then more combos may be true than the game registers. For example Bowser's air dodge invincibility doesn't come out until frame 4 meaning that in certain situations even if he's technically out of hit stun, he's still frame trapped. Would appreciate any insight.

Last edited:

the_muffin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
muffinduck01
Your friend is correct, because theoretically Bowser could throw out move instead of air dodging, potentially interrupting whatever combo the opponent is trying to go for, assuming Bowser's move connects with the opponent before they can land their next attack. Bowser might be a poor choice for this example, but you get the point. Swap out Bowser for Sheik throwing an Fair and suddenly the combo she was in falls apart.

Measuring combos based on hitstun is just an easy way to create a hard distinction between true and untrue combos.

Treedot

Smash Journeyman
I always just play this game very slowly and off of reaction. How do I get out of this
Be more aggressive. Approach more rather than waiting for approaches. Learn to fake out your opponent. Using the "Hot Cold" method helps. Sometimes run up and do something, see how they react if you miss it. Other times, run up and do nothing, or shield, see what they do, if they miss because you didn't do anything, punish them.

Onoh

Smash Cadet
NNID
benclaremom
I have a bit of a rolling habit, but I find it hard to find other defensive options. Is there another thing I can do? (other than shield and spotdodging)

Pentao

Smash Apprentice
Sorry for the non-competitive question, but does anyone know if you can connect an English copy of Smash 4 3DS as a controller to a Japanese copy of Smash 4 Wii U?

Stryker95

Smash Journeyman
I have a bit of a rolling habit, but I find it hard to find other defensive options. Is there another thing I can do? (other than shield and spotdodging)
Jump, walk back, Perfect Pivot if your character has a decent one and shielding is always good as it can lead to a shield grab.

Stryker95

Smash Journeyman
Sorry for the non-competitive question, but does anyone know if you can connect an English copy of Smash 4 3DS as a controller to a Japanese copy of Smash 4 Wii U?
The 3DS acts as a controller, it doesn't matter if Japanese or English. In fact, you don't need the copy of Smash for 3DS in order to use it as a controller.

Pentao

Smash Apprentice
The 3DS acts as a controller, it doesn't matter if Japanese or English. In fact, you don't need the copy of Smash for 3DS in order to use it as a controller.
Is that so? I thought you at least needed a copy of the "Smash Controller" 3DS app to make it work. So there are no connectivity problems between a Japanese Wii U Game and English 3DSs connecting to it?

Stryker95

Smash Journeyman
Is that so? I thought you at least needed a copy of the "Smash Controller" 3DS app to make it work. So there are no connectivity problems between a Japanese Wii U Game and English 3DSs connecting to it?
Yeah you need the 3DS app but not the 3DS game. And you can use the Japanese game with the English DS.

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
I've had quite a problem lately: I've finally gone to my first tournament, and I got absolutely destroyed; couldn't even make it out of losers. I was told that I wasn't too bad, it's just that I needed to fight more aggressively. Makes sense in theory, but whenever I play more aggressively, I end up getting punished like crazy. How does one play aggressively without getting punished much?

I've also been wondering whether if the characters I've been using actually fit my play style; I seem to be comfortable using them against high level CPUs and less-experienced players, but with players who even have some clue what they're doing, I get beaten pretty badly. Is it because I'm an inexperienced player, or is it because I'm picking a character who doesn't actually fit my style of play?

This is for Smash 4 by the way.

Last edited:

Stryker95

Smash Journeyman
Pretty much everyone gets destroyed their first tournament, no biggie. As far as your character, it is all up to you, I would guess it fits you fine and it is just inexperience but that is hard to say considering I have not observed your play. As far as playing aggressively, go for mixups. Attacking does not mean aggressive, pressure is more important, empty approaches to bait or runup shield can be helpful and aggressive as it encourages the opponent to act.

Last edited:

Abyssal Lagiacrus

Fly across the high seas and mountains
NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
As a fellow Jr. main, something you can do is try and hold onto your mechakoopa. If an opponent comes at you, you can jump and Z-drop it so the explosion happens right where you used to be, or just hold onto the mechakoopa while you're in your shield, because it'll explode in your hand and damage them, getting them off you.

Kyzael

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Raiyn
3DS FC
0104-3086-6937
I apologize if this has been asked but i've been looking on the internet for an answer and all I get are stuff talking about the banned stages in tournaments.

I just did Solo Event mode, thinking that if I finished it, i'd unlock it but nothing.

Daxter

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DaxterD
3DS FC
1289-9356-8058
Does anyone else find they have one or two "good days" where they can read everything and stand toe-to-toe with really good players, then they regress back to being unable to fight even the most predictable player?

I had a wonderful day yesterday where I was able to defeat even the bounciest Sheik and fastest Captain Falcon. It felt great! I genuinely thought I was going to get better at the game and stay better - I could read people well, I could think "Now to try this" and I could pull off tech skills flawlessly. Now suddenly today I can't even beat a Shulk spamming Back Slash, all my attacks and techs are missing, everyone can be hyper aggressive against me so I can't escape, and everyone on FG is back to bullying me for being bad. Did I just have a lucky day, or did I do something right yesterday that I need to consistently do in order to improve?

Last edited:

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
I don't know if this is the right thread to post this in but...

I can get some tips on proper DI use, please?

BLK94

Smash Rookie
Not too sure what you mean - but if you're talking about only getting a certain set of stages when you hit 'random' in smash mode, this is how you do that:

1. Go to rules (top of character select screen)
2. Select 'additional rules' (at the bottom of the screen)
3. Select 'random stage switch' (bottom of this screen

Hopefully this answers your question!

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Was wondering if anyone knew exactly what qualifies something as a true combo in training mode. A friend told me that for it to register as a true combo the opponent has to be still locked in hit stun. I ask because if that's correct then more combos may be true than the game registers. For example Bowser's air dodge invincibility doesn't come out until frame 4 meaning that in certain situations even if he's technically out of hit stun, he's still frame trapped. Would appreciate any insight.
Training's combo counter counts up to the point where the opponent can double jump. However, as knockback increases, airdodge and attacks can be used earlier than jumps, which actually means that things that display as combos in training may be able to be airdodged out of or escaped with quick aerials such as Luigi's nair - this is where traps such as Sheik's dthrow 50/50 come into play, where the uair can't be jumped away from but can be airdodged, but airdodging puts you in even more danger if Sheik reads it and goes for Vanish.

But yeah, you're right that a lack of frame 1 aerial actions means some things that don't display as a true combo can still be inescapable. Just, the opposite is also true to an extent.

For the sake of completeness, the combo counter also bugs out with grab releases and weak hits like sour Luigi upB and won't reset until the opponent returns to their idle position, even if they're actively jumping or attacking afterward.

Wolfy125312

Smash Rookie
So I have a very frantic and hectic playstyle. I tend to always be on the offensive, but as an Ike player that isn't necessarily the best. I've watched other Ike's stand still and still do better. I was hoping to get some advice on how to slow my playstyle down.

Stryker95

Smash Journeyman
So I have a very frantic and hectic playstyle. I tend to always be on the offensive, but as an Ike player that isn't necessarily the best. I've watched other Ike's stand still and still do better. I was hoping to get some advice on how to slow my playstyle down.
Think defensively. It really just is up to you to slow down, hold up your shield for a few moments, wait for mistakes, etc. It is a playstyle and the best way to change is to think about the changes you want to make, like maybe don't rush in and dash attack but shield instead. Try watching Ryo from MVG and see what he does.

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
You don't have to approach. That's what I tell myself when I play, and it helps. Get the percent lead and float away, make them come to you if you can. Ike has some great spacing tools with his aerials as they are, so make use of them to keep your opponents out.

Alternatively, you could figure out how to make your approach safer. Whether you play defensively or not, there'll be times where you do have to go to them so knowing the best way to do so will always be handy. Might be worth checking the Ike boards for info on that, or watch Ryo in tourney and see how he does it.

edde

Smash Ace
NNID
edmichu
got 2 questions, could you pm me the answers please?

1) is there any info on when bayo/corrin get released?
2) i feel like i saw a thread on how to become a competitive player in sm4sh, does that exist? or any guide of that kind would be nice too

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Probably a stupid question, but it's been on my mind a lot, does a nationwide tourney in every nation count as being a national in Smash? Like, would a German tourney with big numbers and every top player in the country be considered a national because it's countrywide, or is it considered a regional because the meta over here isn't as strong?

Last edited:

Nah

Smash Champion
Probably a stupid question, but it's been on my mind a lot, does a nationwide tourney in every nation count as being a national in Smash? Like, would a German tourney with big enough numbers and every top player in the country be considered a national because it's countrywide, or a regional because the meta over here isn't as strong?
Yeah, that'd be a national. A national is a national, regardless of the general strength of the country. Chances are a German national is still gonna have more talent than a German regional or local. The results may not weigh as heavily in people's minds as an American or Japanese national though.

Stryker95

Smash Journeyman
Just auto piloting less I guess.
Auto-piloting tends to come from a lack of thinking and a good way to stop that is by actively deciding to throw in a mix-up. It takes discipline and focus and you may need to sit there for a breather in a match and think about what you are doing vs what you should be doing. To practice, go on For Glory and focus on your punish game and being reactive.

Duck SMASH!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C.Piglet
EDIT: Nevermind. Realized my mistake. Wall techs hve 8 frames or less. Ground techs have 20 frames.
If you want to wall tech jump do you have to hold UP on your control stick or the jump button? What about if you turn off tap jump?

Last edited:
Top Bottom