• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The Smash 4 Question and Answer Thread

friendlyone20

Smash Rookie
In Smash Run do the stats really help in the end? Like really? Or do they make you THINK they are doing something? I had the highest Speed stat but still lost the Run challenge because of the b.s. this game pulls.

Seriously what is the point of the stats if they don't even help you.

Now I'm just sitting here wondering why I keep playing a game I'm clearly not enjoying and/or getting frustrated over.

Last edited:

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
This is probably a stupid question, but is there any place where I can easily see matches from national tournaments? I'm asking this becaude I just noticed recently that VGBootCamp doesn't upload a significent amount of Round 2 Pools and Top 32 matches, so now I'm trying to look through all the past broadcasts of nationals that they uploaded and putting the links onto the notes on my phone so I have them and can watch them. But now It's really giving me a lot of stress to the point where I can barely do anything else, So I'm hoping there's an alternative to this. I'm already stressed enough with other things.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Heya, just an average (or below average, in my humble opinion) player hoping to get back into the game. I'm just wondering, is there any way to make the game easier to control? Because right now, I'm having a really hard time just controlling my character, pathetic as that probably sounds considering I main ****ing R.O.B., especially when it comes to certain maneuvers (using Nair while moving through the air, consistently shorthopping, doing literally anything out of shield without accidentally rolling or spotdodging, etc.). So, any tips? I use the Gamepad, if that helps, as my wireless GC adapter has some noticeable input lag that hurts me way more than the controller itself helps me.

Last edited:

ultranum

Smash Rookie
Whenever I try to walk to do a neutral attack, I always end up dashing. How are you supposed to move the circle pad to that a neutral attack can be preformed at all?

Crucible

Smash Apprentice
NNID
4evrsmash
Will there be another patch that includes character rebalancing tweaks? Not sure if confirmed and couldn't find on thee interweb

Nah

Smash Champion
Crucible Crucible we're not getting any more patches for this game. I vaguely recall Sakurai saying or implying somewhere that they weren't really gonna do any more for Smash 4.

Besides, it's getting to be a couple of months shy of two years since our last real balance patch (1.16, the one where the only character it touched was Bayonetta). Not really any reason to expect some patch to just come along all of a sudden at this point.

Crucible

Smash Apprentice
NNID
4evrsmash
Crucible Crucible we're not getting any more patches for this game. I vaguely recall Sakurai saying or implying somewhere that they weren't really gonna do any more for Smash 4.

Besides, it's getting to be a couple of months shy of two years since our last real balance patch (1.16, the one where the only character it touched was Bayonetta). Not really any reason to expect some patch to just come along all of a sudden at this point.
Recently picked up sm4sh so was unaware but okay thank you

G-Unit

Smash Cadet
When will anyone make a more user-friendly SSB4 custom song maker? I think it's a hassle to make the BRSTM, then go use the extra programs manually to make the nus3pack.

SSBBDaisy

Smash Lord
Why is literally nothing safe on shield in this game? Other than grab. Even that's not safe. Spot dodge

Why am I stuck in a billion frames of lag after doing a move or an aerial? Why can't I lower the lag or cancel it into the ground at a decent frame so I can pressure?

Why are there no movement options other than a pointless pivot?

I already play melee but I wanted to play smash 4 cause of characters I like and I play casually but the game is way too casual.

Alexander Samudio

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
I'm relatively new and not sure if this is the best place to put this but figured i ask here first. So i'm trying to put together a smash bros trophy showcase video and i have all the footage for every game except smash bros 3DS. Unfortunately i don't have a 3DS capture card and i want to upload the video before Nintendo's upcoming E3 presentation,unfortunately i don't have enough money to buy one in time before it's too late, so if there's anyone willing to provide footage of the Smash Bros 3DS exclusive trophies(including the alts and dlc trophies like xander and ryoma),i'd be extremely grateful. Whoever helps me will also receive full credit too. Also i need footage of both screens so that people will be able to see the trophy descriptions too, i very well could just use my phone to record it but that's only a last resort. Smash Brothers deserves the best quality after all in my opinion which is why i'm aiming for footage via a 3DS capture card.

EMT~

Smash Cadet
Why is literally nothing safe on shield in this game? Other than grab. Even that's not safe. Spot dodge
I'll admit I'm not sure about characters' shield safety in terms of relative frame advantage on shield hit alone in this game; but from a perspective of punishability of a shield hit, certain characters do have moves that are safe on shield dependent on spacing.

As for grabs being safe on shield, does that mean grabs aren't safe on shield in Melee either?

Why am I stuck in a billion frames of lag after doing a move or an aerial? Why can't I lower the lag or cancel it into the ground at a decent frame so I can pressure?
You can. Certain aerials autocancel.

Why are there no movement options other than a pointless pivot?
Foxtrotting, dash dancing, extended dash dancing, DITCIT, shield stopping, B-sticking techniques, etc., are all things. Character-specific movement options such as Ganon's edge-canceled Wizard Kick and various edge-canceled teleports also exist.

I'll admit I'm really sad that DJC shenanigans were removed in Sm4sh, though. :(

I already play melee but I wanted to play smash 4 cause of characters I like and I play casually but the game is way too casual.
No doubt Sm4sh is (probably significantly) more casual than Melee, but I would say there's at least some depth that you can find to it. Someone like Shiek or Greninja seems like they would be right up your alley in this game.

Last edited:

SSBBDaisy

Smash Lord
The only one I can think of is cloud dair and Mario fireball approach where your opponent can't punish u or roll out of it. But that's about it and I play tr4sh for glory everyday.

The auto cancel frames on aerials in tr4sh happen way too late to make use as an approach or pressure the shield. They were more effective in brawl.

Dash dancing is not useful in this game the window is too short to make it useful for anything. Foxtroting I will admit has some use. But we need more options. The other things I will look up.

Again my biggest problem is how even Zero said the game plays like chess. In brawl u could pressure people. I played peach and I would be all up in your grill with her. This game she's been slowed down so badly. The game has been slowed down too much. Im not into shiek or greninja. I want peach to have that aggressiveness she had and for rosy to have more options as well.

Nova36

Smash Rookie
I have really enjoyed playing Smash for a long time, and I am not making this post to just whine cause I have never tried to get better, cause trust me I have, but I just can't seem to improve. Even if I look up guides on characters they do not help, cause I may be able to get combos and strings down but I don't know how to use them in fights. Online play is something that just pisses me off, cause I really don't like 1v1v1v1 battles, and I don't really like team battles unless I am playing with friends, so I play 1v1 and that just doesn't help because well, everyone is better than me so there's no chance at improving. I always see/hear that going to local tournaments you can improve because people there will help you, but that's not really an option for me. Does anyone have any tips or advice or something I could do to just slightly improve cause I'm not looking to play at a tournament level, just a level where I can beat for glory players. I just feel like I am so much worse than everyone else out there.

DT Raw

Smash Cadet
never play ffa to get better.. you should be playing locally if possible, with a friend ideally, and online for glory 1v1 only.. the lag makes it different than in person but still helps

losing WILL get you better if you analyze why ur losing

ILOVESMASH

Smash Ace
NNID
Marioman123450
3DS FC
3368-1022-7382
What makes crouch canceling completely useless in this game when compared to melee? It functions almost exactly the same, yet is rarely used by any players.

Edit: Okay so it actually reduces knockback significantly less than in melee, but still causes the user to suffer significantly less hitstun than they would otherwise.

Last edited:

dpKoN

Smash Rookie
NNID
Drakon5k
Not sure where to ask this, but is there anyway to search posts by oldest or by most liked?

Last edited:
Top Bottom