• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Skyloft Library's Zelda Compendium

Fuujin

Smash Champion
Now that I think it you may be right, the thing is that Dair's hitbox must be in the range of Din's hitbox...

there were other times when Fair and Bair cancelled it but it was probable a small Din's and anyway I wouldn't recommend it as it is stupidly hard to time lol
None of Zelda's aerials cancel out Din's.

Some might clash with the very edge of it but if you aim it at the center of her body none of her moves will cancel it out.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Okay, finished ATs and Matchups. Hopefully, everybody is satisfied with what I've done with the Matchups given all the crap that's happened in there lately. :x

I skipped strategy, I was hoping somebody could tackle that section?

AlanHaTe

Smash Ace
Down Throw Spike

In certain stages and with certain characters, when Zelda does a down throw at the edge of a stage, a stage spike results. The following is a list of all known down throw spikes:

[COLLAPSE="Down Throw Spike Data"]Data taken from this thread. Credit to NinjaLink and KayLo!.

Battlefield
:falco: - right ledge
:ganondorf: - right ledge
:dedede: - right ledge
:lucario: - both ledges

Smashville
:lucario: - right ledge

Frigate Orpheon (transformation with moving platform)

Castle Siege - third transformation
[/COLLAPSE]

I tried Frigate's Dthrow spike on the right ledge but nothing happens ._.

it actually happened on the left side... maybe a slight mistake

anyways everything seems to be looking good so far

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Thanks for testing that out. I'll change it right now.

Edit: Wow, I derped. I credited everybody for Matchup when it should have been Moveset.

Fuujin

Smash Champion
seeing ditto matchup as a 0 makes me lol

i always feel its -1 -.-
Zelda dittos are so dumb D:
Whoever approaches loses.
Seriously, not even trying to complain about how bad her approach is but that's basically the summary of the match.

It's just odd when you're fighting another Zelda because it lets you see how difficult approaching can be for her when you're on the other end of the spectrum.

I'll read the guide when I'm not lazy.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
To every Zelda player that sees this:

Can you guys write up something encouraging to add to the "Inspiration" part of the guide? If you know of any good vids to add, please let me know too!

I think I'm going to cut the stage selection... way too much work. I'll work on Strategy sometime later.

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
I must say, I really like how this guide has turned out. I also like that you include the Sheik boards as reference if people want to use her. I'll be sure to help out all the Zeldas that wonder over there lol.

Encouraging huh..............Alright I'll give it an honest try.
Understand that no matter how bad a MU is, it can be won. No matter how bad a camp may seem, there's always a hole. No matter how bleak a situation can be, there's a way out. It doesn't matter that we play Zelda, we can still go in and fight, and win. There's always a way, but with that said, it's up to you to figure out your way. Now choose....Will you quit or will you rise to meet this challenge?

I dunno.......too cheesy? I tried.

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
it's encouraging :awesome: now it needs dramatic music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leUTSH_wKos

@dittos: i think zelda can approach another zelda and bait her into lagging. there's also a lot you can do on her shield imo. what's she going to do? grab? run away? :awesome:

loving the activity this thread has brought!

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
I must say, I really like how this guide has turned out. I also like that you include the Sheik boards as reference if people want to use her. I'll be sure to help out all the Zeldas that wonder over there lol.

Encouraging huh..............Alright I'll give it an honest try.
Understand that no matter how bad a MU is, it can be won. No matter how bad a camp may seem, there's always a hole. No matter how bleak a situation can be, there's a way out. It doesn't matter that we play Zelda, we can still go in and fight, and win. There's always a way, but with that said, it's up to you to figure out your way. Now choose....Will you quit or will you rise to meet this challenge?

I dunno.......too cheesy? I tried.
Haha, loved it. I'll update tomorrow probably. Feeling lazy again.

Changed Sheilda's matchup ratio, using her calculated ratios. Should be pretty fair as everybody voted -1 for Sheik and 0 for Zelda is obvious, although I also feel like the Zelda ditto is -1. Zelda and Sheik's ratios were weighted equally, resulting in a -0.50 in Sheilda's favour.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Con

Good DI shuts down some of Zelda's best attacks
If this is a con why do you tell everyone how to DI all of Zelda's moves? I'd much rather people take the time in training mode to learn how to DI Zelda's moves instead of it being broadcast on the boards....a good magician never reveal their secrets....yet Zelda mains are giving it up for free....*smh* plz fix this.......

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
Changed Sheilda's matchup ratio, using her calculated ratios. Should be pretty fair as everybody voted -1 for Sheik and 0 for Zelda is obvious, although I also feel like the Zelda ditto is -1. Zelda and Sheik's ratios were weighted equally, resulting in a -0.50 in Sheilda's favour.
I think it would still be -1. The point of Shelda is using the duo optimally, so if Sheik is -1 and Zelda is 0, using Sheik is optimal :awesome: So the MU would be -1 overall.

MechaWave

Smash Champion
Wouldn't it be a little more logical to have collapse tags for the match-up section?

The strategy section is hard to do. Everyone has their own playstyle.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Well, Zelda does have her uses... like KO-ing?

And yeah, maybe I should just cut the Strategy and Stage Selection...

MechaWave

Smash Champion
You don't have to, we just all have to agree what is best for teh newbies. A lot of guides have such a section even though their mains have their own playstyles.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Yeah, I agree. I collapsed the Matchup section.

Btw, Aero are you gonna get the pictures sometime soon?

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Ah, I'm sorry. I've been really busy the past couple of days.

I haven't been able to put as much attention to this thread as I would have liked, but I will (I promise) start getting more images tonight.

:king:

Mocha

Coffee Addict
In the land of princesses, frogs, and dragons
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
I like to use dash attack to punish landings. If I do approach with it, I like to approach if the opponent is near the edge, that way even if they shield, it'll be harder for them to punish me because it may shield push them to the ledge.

I've also hit through spot dodges a surprising number of times with dash attack. There's a certain knockback of dash attack that will send your opponent right above you for a nair or up air follow-up. Or it will send your opponent in front of you (as already stated) for another dash attack or another appropriate move to follow-up

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Hey thanks for helping out Mocha, and haven't seen you for a while :p

Did some proof-reading, started structure for stages and inspiration.

*would like some pro words of encouragement and awesome vids from you guys*

Edit: Added some stuff for strategy. Pretty bad stuff though.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Just a note, nair can't be SDI'd at all. I don't think it can be DI'd either until the last hit.

I've got utilt's image done, gonna keep working on them today.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Take your time. There's no hurry.

And I'll make to that change to Nair right now. Thanks Aero :)

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Ah, and I just looked at dair's frame data.

It looks unusual, so I might test it later today if I get time. I just don't see it having only 6 frames start up and having a hitbox active on frame 14.

I dunno. lol

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Man, good eyes. I double checked I did the startup frames wrong. The rest of the information is right though assuming the Fairy Fountain stuff is accurate.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
I'm sorry. ;_____;

I feel like I'm nitpicking so much. lol

Also you guys know about the whole "shield a ledge attack and buffer a sweetspotted bair" thing, would it be worth adding into the guide? It's an amazing punish, and once you do it, you'll have them terrified of ever ledge attacking again, therefore limiting their ledge options.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Lol, the more errors you find the better. :p

I have no clue about the second part of your post. Maybe you could do a quick summary?

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
It is aye?

Basically any shielded ledge attack lets you do that. If I have time, I'll test everyone's ledge attacks and see which ones work (Well, which ones don't work anyway) if you want.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Um don't stress yourself with too much work though.

Hm, so would this go under back air or ATs?

Fuujin

Smash Champion
Idk, you could just make a "really situational techniques" situation, because there are a lot of things she can do in certain situations for different moves.

None of them are really that practical, up to you but if you think it's getting too cluttered I don't think really situational things need to be in there.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
It's nowhere near as situational as dthrow spike or dtilt to bair on a platform imo.

Lots of characters have really good ledge attacks (lolzZSS), so people using ledge attacks is going to be more common than dtilting someone ever on a platform or catching Falco out of Phantasm.

I'd put it under back air probably. It probably doesn't deserve an entire section to itself since it's a universal AT.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
I was thinking Zelda's really lacking in ATs and could use some filler. Dunno about you guys lol...

Fuujin

Smash Champion
Well I personally think her best AT technique is Farore's ledge cancel.
It can really take a stock early if your opponent doesn't know it coming.
And even good players fall for it (I was able to get Ally in it).
Sadly it just get's kinda predictable.
Like I can't as easily land it on people in STL, but when I was in CA nobody even knew about it so I was getting U airs and D airs left and right out of it.
Plus it looks cool and people are impressed by it :colorful:.

You can also mention double ledge canceling on BF and Norfair, those are kinda hard to pull of consistently though and only serve as mindgames most of the time.
I think if Zelda's got really, really, really, good at ledge canceling, like learning all the angles and being able to constantly pull it off it could maybe help her metagame a little bit.
It's probably her best approach option, though situational.

Other ATs you can add are her n-air follow ups.
Maybe how she can instantly use a move after jumping up from the ledge unlike most characters.
Rising Transform(Also the difference between Zelda's rising transform and Sheik's.)
Ummm maybe under Din's you can add how being in water makes Din's camping a little better.

I can't think of anything else right now.
Most of her ATs arent really great and she doesn't really have very many.

Side-eyeing Dedede, Mario, Lucas, PT, Ganon, Jigglypuff and Link in the match up section though...

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
I have stopped using Farore's Ledge Cancel. It's gotten to the point where "if he uses Farore's Wind in that location, expect a ledge cancel" and I use it very sparingly.

Rising transform is a good one actually... but does Zelda even have a significant boost?

And for the matchups, I did what I thought was most fair to everybody given all the **** that's happened recently. We haven't discussed D3 yet and I'll update as the matchup thread updates. Trust me, seeing positive matchup numbers for Zelda makes me feel a little uncomfortable too...

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
She can instantly use a move when jumping up a ledge?

Can't most characters do that?

Easily her best AT is foxtrotting. :p

Edit:

When done properly, the boost from rising transform is pretty good.

Also lol. But when using Transform in the water, it refreshes the drowning timer, so Zelda can never drown if she transforms while staying in water. /random fact

Top Bottom