• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Sig Critique Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Special E.D.

Smash Cadet
the 3d boxes are pretty confusing. good flow tho. just maybe not use so many c4ds.

..... i havent done a sig in ages (8-9 months)

lol i still find out i have trouble finding the right text and how to incorporate it in the piece so it doesn't stand out.

CnC please.

Shök

Smash Champion
Black Waltz!

@ Special E.D: Way too simple. The render just looks pasted and so does the text. The background needs to be a bit more dynamic as well. As for inspiration, just look at some good tags. I usually get an idea or two from looking at another piece. Keep working on it. :)

Special E.D.

Smash Cadet
Black Waltz!

@ Special E.D: Way too simple. The render just looks pasted and so does the text. The background needs to be a bit more dynamic as well. As for inspiration, just look at some good tags. I usually get an idea or two from looking at another piece. Keep working on it. :)
i totally agree. i still dont know what to do with the text tho =/

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
@ Special E.D.: This doesn't look bad at all, it's definitely a start. The depth in the middle is pretty good so far. Try blending the colors together in some areas for variation.

If text is confusing you, just leave it out and replace it with more visuals. Sometimes it's the better option.

Try some lighting. What if you added some highlights and shadows to Jigglypuff? And gave her a shadow beneath/behind/somewhere around her. Some finer details like that will make it look more finished/professional.

Special E.D.

Smash Cadet
@ Special E.D.: This doesn't look bad at all, it's definitely a start. The depth in the middle is pretty good so far. Try blending the colors together in some areas for variation.

If text is confusing you, just leave it out and replace it with more visuals. Sometimes it's the better option.

Try some lighting. What if you added some highlights and shadows to Jigglypuff? And gave her a shadow beneath/behind/somewhere around her. Some finer details like that will make it look more finished/professional.
ill give this a try. i found a great way to use text. thanks for the advice

2nd try

gopobox

Smash Journeyman
@ Malik

your first sig is alright... you got the colours right at least... but the enlarging of the mushroom for the background amde the background really bad... you can see all the little grains around the circles...

2. I hate clowns...

3. 60% of your canvas is empty..

4. Random lighting and random black spots look bad..

5-7 all you looked like you did was do some grunge brushing here and there.. have more variety..

8. the squares covering the pikachu are a bit distracting...

9. No offence but that is just horrible.. the colours are all multi coloured.. render looks of low quality, the way you tried to blend samus into the background looks pretty bad and it just looks like you rubbed it out...

10. LOL ^^

@ XxGGnoRExX

1. c4ds don't mix very well with the background imo
2. background don't really suit the render..
3. way too light and faded
4-5 same as 3... its a little too light...

Here's my sigs..

Not really that great at making signatures YET...

yeah i know they are all pretty similar in style T_T

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
Malik: Most of these are the same -- Render + random brushes. Take a look at XxGGnoRExX's tags and see how he composes the background to fit each render.

XxGGnoRExX:
1- the problem I have with this one is that the render is so cumbersome and large. I've tried to make tags with it and the render is just so cut off that you have to include all of it in a tiny canvas and it ends up overpowering everything else.
2 - Background smudging looks good but the colors are really just everywhere.
3 - Contrast levels could be improved here.
4 - Probably the best of these. Lighting and concept are both unique.
5 - Colors don't really agree with each other here. But it's a good style and design.

gopobox: Read what I said about Malik's. And if you're new at tags, stay away from text until you grasp the basics. Also take a look at this thread for awesome, pwntastic tags: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=175790

XxGGnoRExX

Smash Rookie
Theres only one tag out of the ones i posted that use renders and thats the second one o.o

1. This is completely fine, theres nothing wrong with the pieces but things could be done better
2. This one just needs more, the colors are actually pro on it o.o
3. Contrast is the only problem, if it was darker it would be lq
4&5 Again these ones needs more but are completely and utterly fine

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
@Malik: Your vector ones aren't that bad, but most of your sigs are very empty. Negative space can be a good thing but in most of your sigs it's hurting them. Work on making the side opposite of the render a little more interesting while still focusing on the render.

@XxGGnoRExX: I pretty much agree with everything Black Waltz said on the previous page.

@Gogobox: You need to really blend your renders into your backround. Also text is an issue but that's an issue for many sigs really. But two things about text: Either get good at it or leave it out. It disrupts flow.

Diddyknight

Smash Lord
Its sad that people ignore Bunny's sig T_T

anyway....

@Bunny: light source seems to be everwhere...your first one has no actual flow from what it seems due to lighting and the c4d placement....2nd one: random c4d ftl on the far left...

lol I made this at school since i was bored as **** in my classroom and didnt have the right stuff to make it meh so w/e rofl

Note: my text sucks rofl

edit: one more to CnC plzz xD

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Thanks guys. <3 I'll work on my lighting. It's kinda foreign to me. @_@ I'll keep working on it though.

I appreciate the critique.

Conker315

Smash Lord
lolwut, hente?
@DK: Both of them are to chaotic really, try keeping things clean and at a balance of having some sort of flow.Also, try making your text better, I know many have problems with text mainly and it's not an easy thing. I would just recommend that you would look at some tutorials at deviantart or guildinn to start off and get better.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Hente: Your sigs are REALLY bright. Too bright. Tone it down. The third sig is good though it's a bit flat, so more depth could be added. Try using a gradient map or some other way of darkening your sigs. Like Black > White works well and you can just erase what you want. Or you can literally use the burn tool to darken spots. I'm assuming you used Photoshop so if you didn't I really apologize.

1. Focus on a single focal point
2. Focus on one Light Source
3. Clean up your sigs (they're messy)

That's all I've got. I hope it was somewhat helpful. =)

Conker315

Smash Lord
Hente, 3rd one is utterly just **** imo, new fav from your work.
1st 2nd and 3rd need work though.
First one is a little messy, and maybe cleaning it up a little will get it were it needs to be.
Second is i dont even know, trying to do much on a small canvas but didn't have enough space? I dare not say this but it looks like you just slapped your render on there :p
Fourth is alrightttt but to much of the same color, I want moreeee.

Meh..

Hentekorino

Smash Journeyman
Hente, 3rd one is utterly just **** imo, new fav from your work.
1st 2nd and 3rd need work though.
First one is a little messy, and maybe cleaning it up a little will get it were it needs to be.
Second is i dont even know, trying to do much on a small canvas but didn't have enough space? I dare not say this but it looks like you just slapped your render on there :p
Fourth is alrightttt but to much of the same color, I want moreeee.

Meh..
Needs more detail in the smudge, looks too simple atm.
Better colors too.

Ninspizzle

Smash Rookie
@gopobox
I really like how this looks a whole lot better than i can do. I really need to start getting into gfx i just have like zero places to start from. So if anyone can link me some tuts or something id be happy.

Here's a sig with sheik i just finished, tell me what you guys think:

And the other one of roxas:

gopobox

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty sure you can google some tuts.

Anyway first sig, the colours clash too much. Might've looked better if you used more adaptable colours. I like the text though.

Second sig, it is really plain. The background is dominated too much by the character. There is no background in the sig which sorta moves it away from focusing on the actual image. The outer glow looks ugly no offence -____- T____T

Hentekorino

Smash Journeyman
@Nin: I like the typography and the bg in the first sig, gotta work on blending Sheik though. D:
@gopobox: Don't do that "Smudge the render into the bg" thing. :\

HAAHAHhahahHAHAHAHAHH EXPERIMENTATIONSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS BewloWOW BWLOW LOOK

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAA
A

The Kitten Burglar

Smash Cadet
Ze contrast, it needs work. I think it'd look rather nice with a bit more contrast. The text sucks but if you could put some text there that fit well it'd look great. Perhaps you could lighten up on the blur or whatever as well, however you created the specks.

Gogo.

(yes I am Demon Kirby, hi)

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Hmm...I like how you used your boarders. They're one of the best kind IMO.

Now for the rest of the sig. It could really be blended more, and it's very bright. Lets get some different colors in there because I can barely see the backround.

Just keep trying. I'd look up some tutorials, they can really help.

The Kitten Burglar

Smash Cadet
@gopo: that wasn't much for CnC, but uh thanks.

It's a bit monotonous, which isn't always a bad thing, but without contrasting it usually doesn't work. I myself on't see much of a point for the borders other than taking up space. There's just not too much going on really.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
@gopo: that wasn't much for CnC, but uh thanks.

It's a bit monotonous, which isn't always a bad thing, but without contrasting it usually doesn't work. I myself on't see much of a point for the borders other than taking up space. There's just not too much going on really.
I'll give yours some CnC :]

It's very interesting and the it looks pretty good. I know the right is already darkened, but maybe darken it a little more, nothing crazy though. I also know you're trying to keep it dark and spooky (I think), but bring out your focal a little bit more.

There you are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom