• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Shiny Hunting Thread

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
^^^

What they said. That thing's incredible. I really want to try it, but I'd have to have the time first. Oh how I wish there wasn't a such thing as the real world with jobs and school. :(

Oh, and I've only ever seen/caught two shinies apart from the red Gyarados in Gold. Both of them that I've gotten were in Diamond, and they were both just random while I was training up Pokemon. The first was a Gloom, which is now a Vileplume, and the other is a Bidoof, which is still a Bidoof because I've never used it.

I train up Pokemon a lot. <.<

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Wow. That stuffs amazing, seriously. I'm going to try this next chance I get, and by the looks of it I'll need quite a bit of time. Thanks Umbreon.

And while the thrill of finding a shiny is pretty cool, I think this is far more interesting, reliable, and rewarding then chaining. I've tried chaining, and I'm definetely not saying it's not possible, but it's one of the most boring and tiresome things I have ever done in a video game. You get really close to a chain of like, 40 and then you mess it up...and then you realize how much of a waste of time that was.
It is more reliable and rewarding, but part of the thrill of a shiny to me is how rare and hard-to-find they are. I want some more than others due to just looking cooler, but if it just takes some hard work to get them then it removes the excitement for me, just placing them on the level of a legendary. Sure, they look cool and whatever, but, except for in G/S/C and FR/LG with the legendary dogs (since back then trying to navigate Pokedex > Route > Pokedex > Route etc. was a pain in the ***), they only involve a tough battle to catch. Some of them don't even require that, but whatever.

It goes along the lines of Shoddy to me. I mean, I once spent about two hours trying to breed for a Modest Ralts with Trace to EV train and put on an official Ruby team for me. It was a pain, but it was worth it and I'm proud of my level 100 EV trained Gardevoir. I could very easily have gotten exactly that by going on Shoddy and inputting it, even making it shiny. But...I don't want to do that, then I do that for every Pokemon and then I'm bored of Pokemon because it no longer requires work.

While this is slightly different due to actually requiring some work, I still see it as almost cheating. It's not, but it would feel like it to me.

I don't condemn the method for others, but personally I would rather spend hours chaining than just get a load of shinies without any doubt that I would get each one. I personally have tried chaining and been rather unsuccessful (my list of shinies is still stuck at my random shiny Sneasel by Mt. Silver in Gold and a Bellsprout in Leaf Green, as well as the Red Gyarados and ones I got in a trade), so I know what you mean. But you have to break a few eggs to make an omelet.

To me, half the fun of shinies is finding them. Even though I've racked up 1000+ hours on games where shinies can be found and only have one to show since one of them got erased, so I feel rather screwed, I still see it as half the fun.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
It is more reliable and rewarding, but part of the thrill of a shiny to me is how rare and hard-to-find they are. I want some more than others due to just looking cooler, but if it just takes some hard work to get them then it removes the excitement for me, just placing them on the level of a legendary. Sure, they look cool and whatever, but, except for in G/S/C and FR/LG with the legendary dogs (since back then trying to navigate Pokedex > Route > Pokedex > Route etc. was a pain in the ***), they only involve a tough battle to catch. Some of them don't even require that, but whatever.

It goes along the lines of Shoddy to me. I mean, I once spent about two hours trying to breed for a Modest Ralts with Trace to EV train and put on an official Ruby team for me. It was a pain, but it was worth it and I'm proud of my level 100 EV trained Gardevoir. I could very easily have gotten exactly that by going on Shoddy and inputting it, even making it shiny. But...I don't want to do that, then I do that for every Pokemon and then I'm bored of Pokemon because it no longer requires work.
Agreed. I personally wouldn't do this for every single shiny I want, just ones you can only get by breeding, etc. I seriously don't want to try to breed a Charizard to get a shiny egg, I would use this in that case. Similar with Metagross, it's a pain to breed or chain it, especially in the sandstorm area in which you find Beldum.

While this is slightly different due to actually requiring some work, I still see it as almost cheating. It's not, but it would feel like it to me.
That's why you only use it sparingly, like with starter Pokemon or whatever.

I don't condemn the method for others, but personally I would rather spend hours chaining than just get a load of shinies without any doubt that I would get each one. I personally have tried chaining and been rather unsuccessful (my list of shinies is still stuck at my random shiny Sneasel by Mt. Silver in Gold and a Bellsprout in Leaf Green, as well as the Red Gyarados and ones I got in a trade), so I know what you mean. But you have to break a few eggs to make an omelet.
Well, I personally see this method so much easier and better then chaining, it's pretty much the same thing, only with added control. I've personally never found one shiny using the chaining method, so that's probably why I'm so annoyed by it. Finding shinies > breeding > chaining, for me anyway. The only reliable form of finding shinies I've found prior to today was simply fighting every Pokemon I came in contact with, which actually paid off. I've found shiny Dusclops, (Ruby) Wurmple, and Zigzagoon. Whether I caught them or not doesn't matter though, right? :) (I only caught the Zigzagoon)

To me, half the fun of shinies is finding them. Even though I've racked up 1000+ hours on games where shinies can be found and only have one to show since one of them got erased, so I feel rather screwed, I still see it as half the fun.
I think I've narrowed it down to:

-If you want a guaranteed shiny that is otherwise very hard to obtain, use the method
-For everything else, just hope you find them
-Never try chaining again, it's so annoying

(My personal views, no need to argue them)

zrky

Smash Lol'd
I bred 6 perfect pokemon and raised them to lv 100. That was worth it to me.

chaining sucks.
This would be the reason I hatch perfect shinies: to get the joy and satisfaction of taking the time and effort to do this.....I might try it on emerald and then migrate....

see Firus, 3rd gen is better:p

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
>_> That link was for third gen AND fourth gen.

And I agree with you. Remember, I'm one of the few people that actually really likes third gen? I certainly don't like fourth gen more.

drcossack

Smash Ace
3rd Gen: Saw & killed a Shiny Spearow (or ran from it, I don't remember.) Either way, I didn't realize it was shiny until AFTER the battle. That was in LeafGreen. I ran into a shiny Zubat in Emerald and immediately tossed a Master Ball at it (<3 item dupe glitch)

4th gen: Pearl, a Shiny Magcargo in Stark Mountain. In Diamond, I hatched a Shiny Gible. I almost wet my pants when I saw that. Haven't seen any in Platinum.

1UPChris

Smash Journeyman
I really want a shiny starter. Dx Since I just got Platinum, I'm thinking about reseting till I get a shiny Turtwig. Also, I want a shiny Bidoof so my HM Slave can be happy about something in life.

Mewter

Smash Master
I really want a shiny starter. Dx Since I just got Platinum, I'm thinking about reseting till I get a shiny Turtwig. Also, I want a shiny Bidoof so my HM Slave can be happy about something in life.
Lol. Yeah, really. Tha pokemon was MADE for HMs, so what else can we do but make it our HM slave?:laugh:

Moon of the Strawberries

Smash Journeyman
I've attempted hunting shinies for a really long time, but no matter how many times I try, I fail at it.

Thankfully, i've aquiered 6 legit shinies. 4 of them just happened to be found in my old Ruby/Sapphire/FireRed games.

The first I caught was a shiny Gloom (ruby, safari zone, freaked out in fear it'd run), then a shiny geodude (firered, now a golem), then a shiny sandshrew in sapphire (now a sandslash) and a shiny vennonat (in the same firered game I caught the geodude in). I also got a shiny pichu (now raichu) from my friend who knew I really wanted one, and an (apperant) legit shiny seviper off wi-fi.

Also, all my shinies are female, and I want to one day find a male shiny in Pearl.

The Cunning Weasel

Smash Master
lol, I've found two and let me tell you, it's hard to tell the Bidoof is shiny. I put it on GTS once and no one traded with me. (I asked for a Raikou rofl)

Mewter

Smash Master
It was all about the guaranteed red gyarados. I remember the first time encountering it. I thought it was the coolest thing in the pokemon game.
Ditto. I loved that thing so much. Did I mention it looks nice in Pokemon Stadium?

Mewter

Smash Master
Are you referring to its shiny form? Only shiny pokemon I've encountered have been an Electrike, Pidgey, Clamperl, and Bidoof aside from Gyarados.
Yes, and it looks EPIC when it comes out of its pokeball....
I miss how the pokemon would roar and step forward or perform an action when exiting their pokeballs....

The Cunning Weasel

Smash Master
Pokemon Stadium to me was worth it because you could upload your gameboy team and just play on the big screen basically. However, I never got to do this with shiny pokemon =( btw, what was the chance on finding a shiny back in G/S/C?

Mewter

Smash Master
Pokemon Stadium to me was worth it because you could upload your gameboy team and just play on the big screen basically. However, I never got to do this with shiny pokemon =( btw, what was the chance on finding a shiny back in G/S/C?
Iunno. All I know is it was somehow linked to IV's. Like a certain IV set was linked to shinies, am I right?

drcossack

Smash Ace
Iunno. All I know is it was somehow linked to IV's. Like a certain IV set was linked to shinies, am I right?
I think it was max/near max IV's. I was planning to breed for a shiny Tyranitar before the battery in my Silver died; it sucks when you can no longer keep a save file.

I just remembered I also have a Shiny Bidoof on Diamond. Yeksson's avatar made me remember that.

The Cunning Weasel

Smash Master
I think it was max/near max IV's. I was planning to breed for a shiny Tyranitar before the battery in my Silver died; it sucks when you can no longer keep a save file.

I just remembered I also have a Shiny Bidoof on Diamond. Yeksson's avatar made me remember that.
Isn't it hard to tell at first glance that it's a shiny? lol

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
You know what's hard to tell if it's shiny without comparison and close looking?

Now, is that the shiny version or the regular version?

zrky

Smash Lol'd
that's the shiny, we all know that:p

I hate garchomp shiny, if it wasn't for the fact that it sparkled then you couldn't tell if you weren't paying attention....

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Well, Gible's the one you have to worry about since he's the one you encounter. They get slightly less discernible as they evolve.

drcossack

Smash Ace
Well, Gible's the one you have to worry about since he's the one you encounter. They get slightly less discernible as they evolve.
That they do. The regular Chomp is a darker shade of purple though, so it's not that bad.

What is interesting is how Charmander's shiny evolutionary lines ends with Charizard.

Charizard & Rayquaza are easily the best looking Shiny Pokemon IMO. I think it's the black color that makes them badass.

D

Deleted member

In Pearl I took a trip to go see Cresselia. I get there and challenge it, and the first thing I see is an oddly colored pokemon and some sparkles. I was about to pee myself and proceeded to whittle down it's HP. I have it in the very low red and start throwing Ultra Balls. 40 turns or so later I ran out of Ultra Balls and switched to Timer Balls. It kept rolling 3 times and breaking free and I was furious. Then, my worst fear was realized.

CRESSELIA used STRUGGLE!

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Did you restart?! You should've restarted, I'm pretty sure that stuff is determined before you even face it in battle so you could've fought it again.

If not, that really, really sucks...
even though Cresselia is a jelly croissant.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I had gathered a bunch of master balls in my sapphire version and transfered them to platinum through pal park!

All that effort I put into that finally came to having a purpose!

D

Deleted member

I have a shiny Marill in Sapphire, which is the only shiny I've caught to date.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
That they do. The regular Chomp is a darker shade of purple though, so it's not that bad.

Charizard & Rayquaza are easily the best looking Shiny Pokemon IMO. I think it's the black color that makes them badass.
Once you go black...

I bred my first shiny using the "predictable" method. I would have liked better ivs but my parents sucked. I'll just have to wait for the all 31 crap to be figure out. Feraligatr has the coolest shiny sprite hands down.

rhan

Smash Hero
In Pearl I took a trip to go see Cresselia. I get there and challenge it, and the first thing I see is an oddly colored pokemon and some sparkles. I was about to pee myself and proceeded to whittle down it's HP. I have it in the very low red and start throwing Ultra Balls. 40 turns or so later I ran out of Ultra Balls and switched to Timer Balls. It kept rolling 3 times and breaking free and I was furious. Then, my worst fear was realized.

CRESSELIA used STRUGGLE!
My story is simular.

On my Leaf Green. I found a Shiny Pidgeotto near the Rocket Warehouse. I was sooooo estatic! Pidgeot is my favorite pokemon out of them all and I was about to have a shiny one! So when I inched it's HP down to about in the yellow......The most unexpected thing happened.....

PIDGEOTTO used WHIRLWIND!

I cried and shut off my game for a week.

Burton

Smash Rookie
i found a wild shiny electrike randomly while EV training. jolly nature unfortunately, but i was still stoked. He's now a proud Black/Gold Manectric i still use in battles today.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Shiny Gardevoir? Anyone?

I have a soft spot for blue shinies..... because blue's my favorite color. <3

Plus, come on. Gardevoir is so pretty.

Top Bottom