• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

the secret zelda strats discussionzone

TheLake

Smash Master
D throw for coolest throw in the game

Oooh shes my favorite too

I wish zelda had a grab *looks at the stars*

Magus420

Smash Master
So like, I remembered Ryoko telling me a while back that d-tilt can combo into itself a little bit while at certain percents. I went and checked it out as well as some other d-tilt crap while I was at it.

-The damage listed is the percent before the hit. If the d-tilt is stale the damages could be up to a couple points higher.

-For the combos that pop them off the ground it's with no DI so if they DI to a side they won't go as high and they'd need more damage than what's listed. If they DI the d-tilt away you won't be able to d-smash or u-tilt, though you may be able to dash attack or kick depending on how high they go/fast they fall. If you got the d-tilt through a shield poke it's very unlikely they will DI it away however. DI doesn't change the percents of the no pop up combos since it doesn't send them anywhere to begin with.

-When they get popped up they have up to 3 different animations that they randomly go into for d-tilt knockback (DamageFlyRoll only happens at 100+ dmg), and one often causes them to hit the ground and be able to tech or fall underneath u-tilt's range sooner or later than another (sometimes by a lot). The 1st number (grayed out) is when 1 of them will allow it to work and the 2nd is when it will begin working on ALL animations which is more important to know.

-There's also an 8 dmg hit that's a tiny bit stronger than the normal 7 dmg one used in the chart. You get it if you somehow manage to hit them with the inside hit without hitting with her foot. Sometimes happens if you use it really close to some of the thinner characters where the foot goes too far behind them to hit.

---|------------|-----------------|-----------------|
...| ...........|-No Pop Up Combo-| -Pop Up Combo- .|
...| ...........|-----------------|-----------------|
Wgt| Character .|DTilt x1|DTilt x2| D-Tilt | D-Tilt |
...| ...........| ..to ..| ..to ..| ..to ..| ..to ..|
...| ...........| DSmash | DSmash | DSmash | U-Tilt |
---|------------|--------|--------|--------|--------|
117| Bowser ....| 76-91 .| 81-84 .| 92/115+|128/136+|
114| Donkey Kong| 74-89 .| 80-83 .|111/111+|140/148+|
110| Samus .....| 73-88 .| 78-81 .| 89/89+ | 89/89+ |
109| Ganondorf .| 72-87 .| 78-81 .| 93/110+|104/132+|
108| Yoshi .....| 72-87 .| 77-80 .| 89/89+ |117/124+|
104| Capt Falcon| 71-85 .| 76-78 .| 95/134+|133/164+|
104| Link ......| 71-85 .| 76-78 .| 93/94+ |116/126+|
100| Dr Mario ..| 69-83 .| 74-77 .| 84/84+ |103/105+|
100| Mario .....| 69-83 .| 74-77 .| 84/84+ |103/105+|
100| Luigi .....| 69-83 .| 74-77 .| 84/84+ | 89/89+ |
.94| Ness ......| 67-80 .| 72-74 .| 81/81+ |106/107+|
.90| Sheik .....| 65-78 .| 70-72 .| 93/94+ |102/130+|
.90| Peach .....| 65-78 .| 70-72 .| 79/79+ | 89/89+ |
.90| Zelda .....| 65-78 .| 70-72 .| 79/79+ | 83/83+ |
.88| Ice Climbrs| 65-78 .| 69-71 .| 79/79+ | 93/97+ |
.87| Marth .....| 64-77 .| 69-71 .| 78/78+ | 93/105+|
.85| Roy .......| 63-76 .| 68-70 .| 89/89+ | 93/130+|
.85| Young Link | 63-76 .| 68-70 .| 87/87+ |107/122+|
.85| Mewtwo ....| 63-76 .| 68-70 .| 77/77+ | 86/88+ |
.80| Falco .....| 62-74 .| 66-68 .|127/137+|154/169+|
.80| Pikachu ...| 62-74 .| 66-68 .| 75/75+ |105/110+|
.75| Fox .......| 60-72 .| 64-65 .|131/142+|154/169+|
.70| Kirby .....| 58-69 .| 62-63 .| 70/70+ | 84/84+ |
.60| G & W .....| 54-65 .| 58-59 .| 66/66+ | 88/90+ |
.60| Jigglypuff | 54-65 .| 58-59 .| 66/66+ | 66/66+ |
.55| Pichu .....| 52-63 .| 56 ....| 68/68+ |100/101+|
-----------------------------------------------------

Shield Poking/Stabbing
The foot hitbox is mostly inside the floor with the top part sticking above it which makes it poke through shields at people's feet really easily. On some of the taller characters their shield doesn't even need to be damaged at all to be able to clip their feet if they're full shielding and not angling it downwards. It doesn't matter if the other hitboxes hit the shield, and as long as that one hitbox hits where there is no shield covering them they'll take the hit because it has the highest priority among them.

It generally pokes the best either when spaced at kick range to hit their leg closest to you, or when as close to them as possible to hit the leg on the other side. Most characters are a bit more exposed on the back leg, but some like Marth are easier to poke on the front one.

That's Peach with an undamaged and unangled shield, and the foot hit's still able to hit her legs pretty easily. It almost doesn't even matter how you would space it against that shield since it'd be underneath the whole thing regardless.

No Pop-Up/Tumble Combo

The timing is really strict when doing d-tilt->d-tilt. If you got the d-tilt with a shield poke though there's a decent chance you'll just re-poke them anyway when you mess up and they can get their shield up inbetween.

Pop-Up/Tumble Combo

D-tilt->U-tilt kills floatier people pretty well like Samus, Peach, Jiggs, Luigi, Zelda, Mewtwo, ICs, G&W and Kirby. People tend to survival DI the u-tilt really badly fearing a kick or something and they go almost straight up if they DI up & towards and die much earlier than normal. Also, with the exception of Jiggs, ICs, and Kirby those characters' shields don't cover their feet very well. D-tilt->D-smash the faster fallers.

Flubbed Tech Combos

Against Fox, Falco, and CF they hit the ground really quick around when it starts to lift them up and they're very unlikely to tech it unless they know they're getting hit by it and also when it knocks them down.

You can hit them during the bounce with a sweetspot dash attack, f-smash (gotta be quick for this one), or d-smash before they are able to move. If Fox DIs the d-tilt away the dash attack probably won't sweetspot, and he'll be able to move in time to avoid the f-smash.

Dash attack still combos them into kick most of the time around then (or sometimes only u-air on CF/Fox if they DI up or no DI), so you could go from no knockdown d-tilt(s) and end with that when it pops them up.

I'll probably take a look at the CG and CG combos at some point since I wanted to know more about it too. I'm pretty sure you can regrab Fox and Falco when they DI behind, just that it's really hard to react and then still have time to reach them. You use dash grab since it reaches farther than a JC one would during the same amount of time.

Last edited:

Cosmo!

nerf zelda's dsmash
smym update

1st seed in pools with zelda

won first bracket match with zelda
won second round with marth/falco (vs a sheik)
won third round, i tried zelda first game but i was playing bad and my falco was on fire so i went falco
LOST fourth round, i SHOULD HAVE GONE ZELDA WHY DIDN'T I!!! I need to believe in my character more. mistake of the tournament
and in losers bracket I got drephen'd although my link put up a fight. Lol

fun tournament and zelda dittos / double zelda team matches with theLake were hot

edit: I got some people with the crazy stuff in the magus gifs. lol
I also got a falcon with a uair, utilt, uair, uair, bair combo

Magus420

Smash Master
Yes, but SDI makes up-smash kinda dumb, and at the percents it would connect, up-tilt would be a much better choice.
That's why you gotta whore out a copy of v1.0 everywhere you go so they can't DI out of it xD

U-tilt is still generally the better choice from d-tilt anyway though yeah. In the few places it would work where u-tilt would not it would neither be comboable off of or be able kill them unless it's a low ceiling/on a platform.

aka.carpet003

Smash Cadet
for that last combo that magus showed up there,
if you miss with the kick or miss the sweetspot, what should you do? and where exactly is the sweetspot? is it at her heel or at the tip or her foot?

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
That's why you gotta whore out a copy of v1.0 everywhere you go so they can't DI out of it xD

U-tilt is still generally the better choice from d-tilt anyway though yeah. In the few places it would work where u-tilt would not it would neither be comboable off of or be able kill them unless it's a low ceiling/on a platform.
lol Hey Magus, I have v1.1. Are there any special Zelda things I can do with it? :laugh:

Majora MIM

Smash Rookie
I've got a small but cool experience with zelda on my first tournament and now I think she's my favourite character since I won my first trounament match with her (plus some good freeplay matches against high level player).

I found that against projectile characters, Nayru's love can be an excellent move used with a good spacing.
It can reflect Falco double ledge lasers with a good timing and totaly break laser-spamming-falco's approaches.
But we all know that it is not so easy to keep a large gap beetween zelda and fast high tiers. So here the Farore's wind can help. Plus, it's a good move for mindgame, let me explain how I've managed to use it:
-First I was reflecting Falco's lasers (or Samus's missile) with Nayru's love at the opposite side of the stage.
-When the oponent came close enough to start a combo, I just Farore's wind away. Unfortunately, FW's has a slow ground recorvery. But against slow-running characters like Falco, it still has a use. You can still space by moving back with SH-NL.
-So I only used this strat until the oponent understood it and started trying to mindgame it.

At this point, when a opponent come close enough, he should go back but you can in place teleport by jumping a little just before vanish. Or just teleport a little closer to the oponent. It's destabilisating and can open good oportunities.

Farore's wind can also be used for spacing with edge canceling on platforms.

For edge guarding I use a lot F and D smash. With the good timing and its large hitbox, the last hit of the Fsmash can be well used. Fsmash works realy well on space animals's illusions. And Dsmash for ledge grabbing recorveries.

All of this can seem evident, but it requires a smart gameplay. Be smart and Zelda kick *****!

Anyway, Zelda should be top tier for having the best downB of the game. :p

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
I love Yoshi's Story (Besides vs Fox and Marth... mostly Fox....) and FoD (Besides vs Fox again...) as Zelda. I just can't fight against Foxes with my Zelda... iunno I'll post some videos after HERB3 if I get recorded.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
If you main Zelda and don't carry a 1.0 disk shame on you! =)

i pop it in everywhere I go and say I use it for flame cancelling

A trick I use as zelda is fsmashing and then fsmashing again right afterward. LEAN PROPERTY FTW

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
I would really really like that. I come to the boards for help then leave because there really isn't a whole lot going on

I've always followed the advice and instinct of MORE KICKING

TheLake

Smash Master
yeeaaah cosmooo

isnt pikachu a little brat somtimes?

A matchup thread would be siiiick!

Hmm...hmmm....
HMMMM!!

GKInfinity

Smash Champion
Seriously, somebody make one. We need a current thread to use for constant zelda discussion. I could make one if no one else wants to, it doesn't matter. It'd be nice to have a thread with an updated first post containing zelda strats, matchups, ect.

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
I would really really like that. I come to the boards for help then leave because there really isn't a whole lot going on

I've always followed the advice and instinct of MORE KICKING
To be completely honest that "advice and instinct of MORE KICKING" is fairly accurate lol. spacing is the biggest ***** imo in all of Zelda's match-ups

Cosmo!

nerf zelda's dsmash
zelda news:

3rd in a tourney all zelda
I can beat most foxes now
I cannot beat sheik, I will learn sheik dittos
I won a $5 zelda vs pikachu mm against kels
I almost knocked kels out of winners with zelda (LOL)

GKInfinity

Smash Champion
Wow, nice stuff cosmo. You kept up with Kels pretty well which is really saying something considering that he went fox/falco/sheik (and that he's really good with them lol).

Watching that reminded me of how crucial follow ups are for zelda. If you hit your opponent and can follow it up you really can't afford not to. Edgeguarding too... if you get fox or falco (especially) off the stage, you have to take the stock and can't let them back on. All the high tiers are so fast that zelda relies on gimps to stay even/have any chance of pulling out a victory

GKInfinity

Smash Champion
lmfaooo. **** hbox is so good. I was watching that first match and at around the 1 minute mark I was thinking 'oh man, hbox must really start bustin' out those rests for this game to end in 40 seconds'. And of course, he did.

As a related piece of advice which dark hart undoubtedly learned after playing him, don't fsmash puff to punish a rest. Against most players it might be okay, but her up and forward smash can be DIed out of. Normally when you use fsmash it's done kind of randomly in the heat of battle and your opponent won't generally think to smash DI out, but after resting the only thing a puff will be focusing on is what move you're punishing them with and how to DI it. Just take your time and sweet spot a kick instead.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
should've used dair to something punish, or dtilt to something punish. if expecting the CC from jiggs then dair to dsmash or dtilt to dsmash for max damage

Cosmo!

nerf zelda's dsmash
a Zelda L-cancelled dair, CC'd by jiggs, into a Dsmash by Zelda is unpunishable? or can jiggs do something out of the CC before the Dsmash hits?

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
I think it's percent dependant.

But I think itll hit most jiggs at least the first time because of 0 zelda exp and who uses dair ? XD

I just try to think of punishes with Zelda, v other characters there are cool stuff but v jiggs its the hardest. I've tried dair to usmash and stuff at higher percents if they are used to ccing, bc then for the first part of the usmash they are still DI'ing down.

AGH punishing with zelda is queer

TheLake

Smash Master
lol down angle a forward tilt

then kick that biznatch

or dtilt to dtilt

to uptilt

ooooorrr

you can be reaaally cool

and delay an Upair then upsmash O_O

or turn into shiek and taunt

maaany options

Regardless of the stocks....i like darkharts zelda <3

and cosmo **** most underratted performance at that midwest tourney

seexy stuff in teams and way to hold it down with 3rd place to kels and m2k going all zelda

thats how it starts...

Top Bottom