• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Scrubs Tier List

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
It has been maybe 2 years since I thought Fox's upsmash was broken. -___-

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
I'm going to try and recreate what my friends and I thought was good and bad back when we were scrubs.

S tier: Falco, Fox, Marth, Mewtwo, Kirby, G&W - Basically who we mained
A tier: Link, Sheik, Young Link, Luigi, Bowser, Captain Falcon - Who we secondaried/used for fun
B tier: Mario, Doctor Mario, Samus, DK, Ganondorf, Roy, Pikachu - We could see that these were good characters but we didn't really use them ever
C tier: Peach, Ness, Yoshi, Ice Climbers, Zelda, Jigglypuff - We considered these characters useless and utter grabage
Pichu Tier: Pichu - HE HURTS HIMSELF WHY THE **** DOES HE HURT HIMSELF (when i started getting better than them they would make me go Pichu in every match so they had a chance to beat me)

this is going purely off memory

I just texted one of my scrub friends and asked him to send me his personal opinions on who is good and bad, so I'll post that when I get it.

Sacredtwin11

Smash Apprentice
I thought marth, fox, falco, ganon, and pikachu were the best. Ganon mainly cause of his side and down b. Fox and falco because you could spam phantasm and firefox/bird all day. I don't remember what I thought of for marth, but all I knew was that he was good. Pikachu had thunder and thunderjolts. Plus hes pikachu. Link and young link were also pretty high up because they could spam up -b and projectiles.
(Interesting side note-I didn't even know there were such things as smash attacks when I first played. I found out when somebody showed me at a party.)

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
Smash attacks? That's a pretty big deal. On the other hand, I didn't know about aerial attacks until I started playing competitively. I also didn't know about grabbing or rolling, and never shielded.

My Ganon revolved around Jab->Ftilt->Fsmash, and just using that a lot. My Ganon would jab people who were closed, Ftilt people who were further away, or Fsmash if he had room. He used Dsmash a lot of the time to cover people getting up, or just for another attack. SideB and DownB were used for covering space to get close up to the opponent. I'm pretty sure that was everything about my scrub ganon.

How did you guys play your characters when you were scrubs?

TheGoat

Smash Ace
Top tier: Falco, shiek, marth
Why? These characters have easily spammable and effective moves. Falco is a favorite amongst scrubs for his ******** forwardsmash which can be spammed with disturbing effectiveness. Falco also has a good recovery (at least at lower levels) and other moves like laser, shine, and dair, don't hurt.
Shiek, not much to say, just dthrow and FTILT (the noob massacrerer)
Marth, forward smash and spamming aerials, tilts, and grabs.

High tier: I'd have to say ganon, fox, peach, and ice climbers, zelda
Ganon, Spamming fair and bair is effective
Fox is alright, for he has upthrow and shine, but he's not as effective as falco in lower levels of gameplay.
Zelda's fair and bair is frustrated against opponents who don't know how to wavedash, space, or use platforms
Peach can spam downsmash like a ***
Same thing with ice climbers

The mario brothers are pretty good too, they have solid aerials and down smashes. Even at lower levels though, the crappiness of some low tier characters become apparent. Roy with his paper sword, the pokemon have very weak moves, and bowser is very slow in general with hardly any good moves.

Falcon is low tier here too, because he is actually a very technical character to master. Noobs that will try to spam falcon punch, his terrible smashes, and his aerials without shffling/technasing will do poorly with the easily comboed captain falcon.

That is my experience.

Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
I just got a list of what my friend thinks are best to worst, in his own personal opinion.

marth, sheik, ice climbers, mewtwo, falco, roy, fox, mr game and watch, bowser, luigi, mario, pikachu, samus, yoshi, dr mario, kirby, link, dk, jigglypuff, cf, young link, zelda, peach, ness, ganondorf, pichu

when I read this I was surprised because I always remember us never picking ICs because we thought they were bad lol

Kyandid

Smash Cadet
Spacies are always top tier yall...scrubs gravitate to Falco fsmash and Fox usmash
Word. Marf and the Spacies are really dangerous in the hands of a hard C-sticker. Bads also have a lot of trouble not dying to Kirby Stone, Pika-Downb, and the Pawnch.

EDIT:

Falco also has a good recovery (at least at lower levels)
When I first started playing the game I'd settled on trying to learn Samus, the Captain, or Falco first. I settled on Falco because I thought he had the best recovery out of those three. :<

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Shouldn't this link be taken into account? http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=22623

In 2002, weren't we all sorta scrubs?
I feel like joining this one. IMO, Pichu and Mewtwo aren't nearly that bad. These stats sound true, but I still don't like them. IMO:

Top:
Fox, Shiek, Marth, Samus, Dr. Mario

High:
Falco, Luigi, Ganondorf, Ness, Mario

Medium:
Young Link, Peach, Roy, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Kirby

Low:
Falcon, Zelda, Pichu, Pikachu, Ice Climbers

Bottom:
Bowser, Link, Game, DK, Yoshi

That's just me, I'm sure. I still think Fox beats Shiek in general and that Game and Die is the worst. I'll admit, Mewtwo is very tricky, too much for most people, but he still beats Zelda's best. Zelda just doesn't have the supportive stats.

I seperated the Marios for a reason: I don't that that Mario is agile enough to compensate for Dr. Mario's power. Jigglypuff's specials are hard to compete with (except Sing *shudder*) and Roy's got a nice defensive move set to work with.

And Fox, Marth, and Samus own Sheik badly. :p
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOL so many epic quotes in that thread

Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
I agree for the most part, BUT WHAT ARE YOU DOING PUTTING MEWTWO AT THE BOTTOM, HE SHOULD EASILY BE AT THE TOP IF YOU USE HIS FULL POTENTIAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Other than that, it's pretty darn accurate, but Mewtwo should be WAY up there at the top.

lmao, that's exactly what I though when I first saw the tier list.

Maybe that means in 10 years I'll be at the level M2K is now

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
I read through that topic. It was hilarious hearing people say the CPUs were good. I mean, I thought they were decent until I came to Smashboards and learned that there were aerial attacks in the game. As soon as I learned how to use those, they became insanely easy to beat.

I can't imagine how bad the players must have been back then.

I wonder if the players 10 years from now will be saying the same things about us? And someone will look back at my posts and say "Wow, this guy was an idiot. He had no clue what he was talking about." Well, actually, people could say that now and it would probably be true.

Yo, readers. When it's 10 years in the future and you're reading this topic, PM me telling me what you think of me. And, more importantly, is Leffen a genius that we can't understand, a complete idiot who has no manners, or the most hilarious poster ever? And was he actually Barney the Dinosaur?

EDIT: Oh, and are you still playing Melee, or has everyone moved on to Project M now? Or did Nintendo start making good Smash games again?

Bill_the_Duck

Smash Cadet
Roy (They think hes better than Marth because his Fsmash and counter are stronger?)
Marth (Worse version of Roy - btw, they're in love with these two as edge guarders)
Shiek/Falco (Basically these two are considered even due to Shiek dash attack, Falco Fsmash)
Kirby (Wtf? Why?)
Samus (In multiplayer, missle spam is dangerous)

Fox (They think hes good but just "Nobody can use him")
Link (UP B!!!)
Everyone else sucks?

Rob_Gambino

Smash Lord
All of you peach haters are crazy. Next time you play with someone new to the game, tell them to pick peach and press both sticks down. She's also has an incredible and easy recovery so they won't be dying.

Sheik, just show the chain grabs and how the tilts all combo into eachother etc.

Marth- Spamming f-smash is practically unpunishable at low levels, especially if they aren't familiar with the sidestep. Real talk, what would you do without wavedashing out of shield or sidestepping it?

Link- That up-B, especially for the edgeguards. A lot of people can do their own form of camping with link at low levels as well.

Could argue jiggs, spacies, etc next, but I really feel it's just preference at that point. Yoshi's #1 tho.

The Star King

Smash Hero
You're talking about how easy it is to teaach scrubs to be competitive. Normal scrubs don't know about Peach's DSmash (or at least all the ones I knew). She's girly with nothing like Zelda's magic or Samus's projectiles to compensate, and most of her ground moves seem weak, so she's automatically horrible.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
I remember when I was a scrub I thought his downB was terrible, because you'd have to be an idiot to get hit by it.

Top Bottom