• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Schoolgirl Famicom Detective, Ayumi Tachibana for Smash Switch (Famicom Detective Club Remakes Coming to the Switch)

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
was it though? sure roy's game as listed as coming soon but the first one to actually come outside of japan was the prequel to roy's game the one with his dad and lyn
Nah, he's misremembering, it was as you said. Marth and Roy were planned to be Japan-only, and there were no plans to bring FE to the West until the success of Advance Wars which came out barely 2 months before Melee.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Yeah, the whole "Roy and Marth was to promote Fire Emblem in the West" is COMPLETE bull**** spread by MonkeyDLenny in an awful Twitter thread from around Byleth's release. Roy and Marth were always supposed to be Japan-exclusive but playtested well, and that plus AW made FE finally be localized.

amageish

Smash Master
It is kind of odd Ayumi got the axe when other Japan-only characters were fine at the time, but I suppose Ayumi had a virtually non-existent chance of being localized at the time, given her genre + her non-active franchise...

Well, here's hoping she get a localization this time around... Or, hey, maybe a renewed existence could lead her to being an AT next game, if nothing else.

Oddball

Smash Lord
It is kind of odd Ayumi got the axe when other Japan-only characters were fine at the time, but I suppose Ayumi had a virtually non-existent chance of being localized at the time, given her genre + her non-active franchise...

Well, here's hoping she get a localization this time around... Or, hey, maybe a renewed existence could lead her to being an AT next game, if nothing else.
This Smash was "Everyone is here!" It would be great if the next Smash was "Everyone is here INCLUDING those guys we thought about but decided against."

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
You know, I have never found the source for that rumor that Marth and Roy were got into the western release to promote Fire Emblem. I never even found the source to that other rumor that there were suppose to be more Rare trophies in Melee but got cut due to Rare being overseas and their rocky relationship with Nintendo at the time. Never believe any rumors off the bat, especially when they were from almost 20 years ago and haven't yet been proven.

amageish

Smash Master
This Smash was "Everyone is here!" It would be great if the next Smash was "Everyone is here INCLUDING those guys we thought about but decided against."
That's a nice idea, but I worry how many characters were considered briefly before being dismissed haha. I do not know if most people would want James Bond or Reggie Fils-Aime in Smash in 2028 (or whenever the next game would be).

FemMain26

Smash Apprentice
Despite COVID likely being the thing delaying the Famicom Detective Club remake, I sometimes wonder if they're holding it back because they plan to bring the remake over here or announced the date for it alongside Ayumi Tachibana as Smash DLC or both. Either or both would be a win. :awesome:
That will truly make my day if that scenario would to happen.

Oddball

Smash Lord
That's a nice idea, but I worry how many characters were considered briefly before being dismissed haha. I do not know if most people would want James Bond or Reggie Fils-Aime in Smash in 2028 (or whenever the next game would be).
If you want to trust the Smash Bros wiki (and I'm not saying you should) the the list of fighters seriously considered reads something like this ...

James Bond
Balloon Fighter
Urban Champion
Bubbles from Clu Clu Land
Excitebike Racer
Ayumi Tachibana
Mach Rider
Takamaru
Alph
Heihachi Mishima
some kind of Rhythm Heaven character
Alucard
Decidueye
Ninjara
Dixie Kong
Toon Zelda and Toon Sheik (Tetra?)
Krystal
Geno
Blastoise
and Classic Sonic

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
If you want to trust the Smash Bros wiki (and I'm not saying you should) the the list of fighters seriously considered reads something like this ...

James Bond
Balloon Fighter
Urban Champion
Excitebike Racer
Ayumi Tachibana
Mach Rider
Takamaru
Alph
Heihachi Mishima
Alucard
Decidueye
Ninjara
Dixie Kong
Krystal
Geno
Blastoise
and Classic Sonic
again he didnt actually say he considered bond

amageish

Smash Master

James Bond
Balloon Fighter
Urban Champion
Excitebike Racer
Ayumi Tachibana
Mach Rider
Takamaru
Alph
Heihachi Mishima
Alucard
Decidueye
Ninjara
Dixie Kong
Krystal
Geno
Blastoise
and Classic Sonic
I was going based on this SourceGaming article, which is pretty similar overall. Some of the characters who were "momentarily considered" definitely weren't seriously considered, but also Ayumi is under that category too, so... Um. Awkward.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

James Bond
Balloon Fighter
Urban Champion
Excitebike Racer
Ayumi Tachibana
Mach Rider
Takamaru
Alph
Heihachi Mishima
Alucard
Decidueye
Ninjara
Dixie Kong
Krystal
Geno
Blastoise
and Classic Sonic
For Ayumi, it all comes down to that pesky "series must be playable everywhere" criteria Sak holds on to until further notice (which he relented on only twice, and one of those times stemmed from a misunderstanding). If the FDC remakes can get exported, it would be a big step already.

Last edited:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
For Ayumi, it all comes down to that pesky "series must be playable everywhere" criteria Sak holds on to until further notice (which he relented on only twice, and one of those times stemmed from a misunderstanding). If the FDC remakes can get exported, it would be a big step already.
Are they getting localized?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

James Bond
Balloon Fighter
Urban Champion
Excitebike Racer
Ayumi Tachibana
Mach Rider
Takamaru
Alph
Heihachi Mishima
Alucard
Decidueye
Ninjara
Dixie Kong
Krystal
Geno
Blastoise
and Classic Sonic
You got a Smash 6 newcomer lineup right there.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
fire emblem and earthbound?

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
I thought the day of Japan only releases was over but its looking like i might be wrong.

FDC could still make it to the west but I would think that in this day and age, if they were planning on that, they wouldnt have made its initial announcement a Japaness only one.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I hope we hear miraculous news today about Famicom Detective Club getting localized and released in the west. Ayumi in Smash would be sweet, but a western Famicom Detective Club localization would be just as big of a win for us since Famicom Detective Club would finally get acknowledged and recognized by westerners.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I can't beleive this game is finally coming out in english. That is awesome. Maybe this means good news for Ayumi in the futrue of the smash series
It does. Now people can't use her being a Japanese exclusive to why she isn't in anymore. The remake getting released and localized in the west will not only make her relevant, but more well known and recognize in the west.

Top Bottom