• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Sargasso Hideout - Wolf O'Donnell Support Thread

What voice do you prefer for Wolf?

• American (Star Fox: Assault & Smash Bros. Brawl)

Votes: 92 73.6%
  • British (Star Fox 64 & Star Fox Zero)

Votes: 33 26.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mellos

Smash Journeyman
NNID
El_Beslic
Welp, looks like it's that time again, fellas...
It's time to:
- speculate characters for hours without any evidence
- make "Ridley just too big" - memes
- over-analyze EVERY unimportant little details
- check the Nintendo Reddit, Twitter and Youtube page ATLEAST 5 times a day
- count the days until E3

God, I love this part <3

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
How are peeps feeling about Wolf's moveset these days? Personally I think he's just a Zetterburn clone

Foxy Alopex

Smash Ace
NNID
Foxy_Alopex
Oh my gosh I can't wait and I hope Wolf makes his return so that all my mains are present this time.
I also want Ice Climbers and Snake to return.

Last edited:

Logo12

Smash Lord
Somewhere without a Smash community. Send hlep
Welp, the speculation is on; time for us to come together and rant about how Nintendo isn't posting any news for the upcoming 90 days again...

After the previous ****storm that was the DLC period, I feel less optimistic about the whole thing. But I don't know. Maybe it's just because of me being greatly disappointed for at least 3 times in the past month, plus some depression going on.

Let's still see tho.

----

As for Custom Specials suggestions, here's mine that I've thought of waaaay back (More focus on being different from Fox/Falco's custom):
  • Neutral B 2: 3-round Blaster: Shoots a laser that splits into 3, similar to how Brawl Minus did it before (now it's removed for obvious reasons). The laser is relatively weaker, similar to an uncharged Charge Shot.
  • Neutral B 3: Bayonet Shot: The bayonet can be "detached", similar to a tether attack. Shoots a laser along with the bayonet, but both attacks do less damage and knockback.
  • Side B 2: (I'm skipping this because it probably ends up as a mix of the Phase + Dash suggestions)
  • Side B 3: Wolf Dive: Basically an upside-down Wolf Flash. The middle hit spikes a-la Falco Phantasm, and the final hit stuns the enemy, allowing follow-up.
  • Down B 2: Reflector Zap: The reflector itself acts as a projectile, shooting out horizontally in a short range, multi-hitting opponents. Reflected projectiles has 2x speed, but no change in damage. No invisibility on start.
  • Down B 3: Hard Reflector: The reflector also blocks physical hit, but it doesn't damage opponents (Like Guardian Orbitars). Reflected projectiles has no change in stats. Longer cooldown.
I don't remember having any ideas for Up B customs.

GravelerChamp60

Smash Apprentice
I hope so too that Wolf makes his well deserving return! I always wished that Sakurai would have cloned Wolf from Fox in smash 4 rather than getting Dark Pit. Like why does Kid Icarus deserves more character slots than a bigger franchise like Starfox? Anyways hopefully this new installment brings justice to the much needed villains, its always fun to have the chance to play as the bad guys.

AnonymousMoon

Smash Lord
NNID
AnonynousMoon
3DS FC
0791-2743-3698
I hope so too that Wolf makes his well deserving return! I always wished that Sakurai would have cloned Wolf from Fox in smash 4 rather than getting Dark Pit. Like why does Kid Icarus deserves more character slots than a bigger franchise like Starfox? Anyways hopefully this new installment brings justice to the much needed villains, its always fun to have the chance to play as the bad guys.
I’m honestly confused how that works.

Cause I understand the three clones (Dark Pit, Dr. Mario, and Lucina) of Smash Wii U didn’t take anyone’s slots, being that they were a lot easier to add in than the rest, but that doesn’t explain why other veteran clones like Lucas, Wolf, and Roy couldn’t make it in the initial cut under the same reaosning.

Last edited:

eltacoenojado

Smash Journeyman
It seems there is a large group of people that want Wolf back. I really hope they listen to the masses.

ThePsychoWolf

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3926-5863-0271
I’m honestly confused how that works.

Cause I understand the three clones (Dark Pit, Dr. Mario, and Lucina) of Smash Wii U didn’t take anyone’s slots, being that they were a lot easier to add in than the rest, but that doesn’t explain why other veteran clones like Lucas, Wolf, and Roy couldn’t make it in the initial cut under the same reaosning.
Lucas and Wolf barely qualify as 'clones'. It would have taken much more development time to make the models and give them their unique animations and specials then it did to separate a few alt costumes (that already had models) and give them a few slight tweaks to warrant a character slot. As for Roy, he was a clone at first, but they decloned him somewhat for the DLC. That would have taken even more time, because then they have to make a new model and develop new animations to replace his old ones, etc.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I did enjoy Wolf in Brawl. Definitely felt more different from Fox than Falco did. I would like him to return with a different final smash, though. Having so many landmasters was more than a little irritating.

I never understood why Lucas returned but Wolf didn’t. Hopefully he’s got another chance now.

And the voices. Brawl Fox/Wolf were great. SSB4 Fox made me want to claw my ears off.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I did enjoy Wolf in Brawl. Definitely felt more different from Fox than Falco did. I would like him to return with a different final smash, though. Having so many landmasters was more than a little irritating.

I never understood why Lucas returned but Wolf didn’t. Hopefully he’s got another chance now.

And the voices. Brawl Fox/Wolf were great. SSB4 Fox made me want to claw my ears off.
I'm a Wolf fan well before a Lucas fan, but I think (and by this I mean I'm not 100% on this) that Lucas was, by a slim margin, more popular than Wolf, at least in Japan.

Now Roy on the other hand, oh boy.

xWolfiex

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xWolfie55x
3DS FC
2982-1721-1850
I was here few years back. I would like rejoin the pack. Play time's over!

Darkraid

Smash Champion
I hope Wolf comes back. Wolf is my fav ''Fox clone'' cuz he has a more heavy hitting moveset.

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
Wolf was my main in Brawl along with Dedede. I absolutely loved the way he played, he just clicked with me immediately. I was heartbroken when he was cut, though I kinda expected it. I really, really hope he comes back for Smash 5, though. I made an emblem to show support for him, too.

DeiSakuChris

Smash Apprentice
Boy, it's been years since I've posted a message on Smashboards.

Even 3 years later, I'm as much of a Wolf guy as I've always been. I enjoyed Smash 4 for what it was but without Wolf it just didn't feel right to me. I always kinda resented the people who said "he's guaranteed because Lucas is DLC!" and I believe it's that very thought that backfired on Wolf. Everyone just thought he'd be in so the support for him in the Ballot and elsewhere decreased bit by bit. The following was still strong and those who knew better didn't stop making their voices heard, but it wasn't enough.

That's why this time I don't want to let the chance let go. If there's anything we can organize together to better up his chances, waste no time. Sure it's still very early, but there isn't THAT much time, either. It won't take long for them to decide on the final roster before entering the finalized development stage.

ThePsychoWolf

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3926-5863-0271

Even 3 years later, I'm as much of a Wolf guy as I've always been. I enjoyed Smash 4 for what it was but without Wolf it just didn't feel right to me. I always kinda resented the people who said "he's guaranteed because Lucas is DLC!" and I believe it's that very thought that backfired on Wolf. Everyone just thought he'd be in so the support for him in the Ballot and elsewhere decreased bit by bit. The following was still strong and those who knew better didn't stop making their voices heard, but it wasn't enough.

That's why this time I don't want to let the chance let go. If there's anything we can organize together to better up his chances, waste no time. Sure it's still very early, but there isn't THAT much time, either. It won't take long for them to decide on the final roster before entering the finalized development stage.
Honestly they probably have already. They might have time to throw in a less-intensive character or two if they're ahead of schedule. And of course there's always the high likelihood of DLC again, too. I think, between Star Fox Zero and Star Fox 2 both in recent memory, Wolf has a better shot this time around than he did in 4. We should also keep in mind that this is Smash's 20th anniversary game, they likely have something big planned to celebrate. Maybe a big 20th Anniversary DLC pack, or something, featuring past cut characters, stages, maybe some classic skins or SFX. Could be amazing.

Malkior7

Majestic Space Pirate
NNID
Sagittarius
3DS FC
4167-5777-1464
It was such a crime that he got removed so I really hope he makes it back in for this game

Morbi

Scavenger

It honestly would have happened without them. Everyone was taking him for granted regardless.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
You can count me as a supporter. He never should’ve left, and Smash needs more villains!!! I couldn’t have been alone in hoping against hope that the beginning of the Cloud trailer was the arrival of Wolf... You did that on purpose Nintendo...

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
So in case everyone missed the RTC thread just finished Wolf and here's the result

As always Wolf scored 2nd in Chance and Want (62%, 77%), which is... fair enough I guess?
Probably would've been higher if more people knew that the RTC Thread was pack. The current setup for the Smash Switch forums are weird to navigate.

Still, came 2nd to Ice Climbers, which I can live with for the time being.

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
I definitely support Wolf! I'm still shocked (negatively ofc) that Wolf wasn't picked as DLC. Would rather have him as the promotional purposes DLC character than Corrin tbh

Hopefully Star Fox Zero positively influences his chances, even if it didn't sell that well!

Basseidon

Smash Cadet
NNID
Baaseidon
I grew up playing as Fox on 64 and Melee...but as soon as Wolf appeared in Brawl, I had to main him. Since then I haven't turned back to Fox. I was disappointed twice in SSB4 with him not being a starter nor a DLC. I really do hope he makes a return and I do believe there is a good chance of that.

The Star Fox franchise is in a weird state thanks to Star Fox Zero, but Wolf is still a relevant staple. Smash Bros, is a great game for marketing/promoting other games. So if their plan is to turn this franchise’s poor sales around, then they don’t need to be skimpy on playable Star Fox characters in Smash. Wolf is easily the best choice to add alongside Fox + Falco.

So yeah, you can add me to the pack!:wolf:

Last edited:

Slip33

Smash Cadet
I hope Wolf is in the game. He was cool and we need more animal/animal like characters in the game. Smash 4 has too many humans and not enough non humans characters.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
this was one of the worst cuts i have ever seen in smash history

sakurai knew dang well he needed to come back

i will be shocked if he failed again

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
It was sad but it wasn’t Mewtwo cut from Brawl sad. Very unfortunate still nonetheless but at least you didn’t have masses of people saying Wolf sucked like with the former’s debut in Melee, and with the Landmaster being about the only main ammo of too much cloneage with Wolf, he’s had it pretty well considering.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Speaking of Mewtwo, Wolf's situation kinda reminds me of Mewtwo's.

Mewtwo was highly requested in Brawl, but didn't make the cut. He also didn't make the cut for Smash 4's base roster, however, was made the first DLC character as a safe pick due to his popularity.

Wolf was pretty well requested for Smash 4, and missed out on both its roster and DLC. If he doesn't make into the Smash Switch base roster based off popularity and ballot results, maybe he'll be the first DLC character as another safe pick?

Last edited:

Mellos

Smash Journeyman
NNID
El_Beslic
Speaking of Mewtwo, Wolf's situation kinda reminds me of Mewtwo's.

Mewtwo was highly requested in Brawl, but didn't make the cut. He also didn't make the cut for Smash 4's base roster, however, was made the first DLC character as a safe pick due to his popularity.

Wolf was pretty well requested for Smash 4, and missed out on both its roster and DLC. If he doesn't make into the Smash Switch base roster based off popularity and ballot results, maybe he'll be the first DLC character as another safe pick?
Let's hope he gets in as a base character.
Holding my breath for another DLC marathon, waiting for Wolf to show up, would be really hard for my little hear.
But yeah, as long as I know he will be in the game as a playable character, I would be happy either way.

Last edited:

Tollhouse

Smash Journeyman
100% support Wolf returning. It was almost as dumb of a decision leaving Wolf out of fsmash 4 as it was cutting Mewtwo from brawl.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Let's hope he gets in as a base character.
Holding my breath for another DLC marathon, waiting for Wolf to show up, would be really hard for my little hear.
But yeah, as long as I know he will be in the game as a playable character, I would be happy either way.
Agreed.

Out of all the veterans left out in Smash 4, I strongly believe that Wolf has the best or 2nd best shot at returning. I'd say he's either tied with or just behind Ice Climbers in terms of chance.

Ice Climbers were left out of Smash 4 due to technical limitations, but the Switch may be strong enough to support them now. Assuming that 8-Player Smash is returning, they have to be able to operate in that mode while the Switch is not docked. I can see them getting minor tweaks that would make them function more as one. However, there's always the chance that the Switch isn't strong enough for that, which would mean that the Ice Climbers would be left out once again.

I think Wolf has a lot going for him, though. Star Fox: Zero and Star Fox 2 recent releases, Brawl veteran, popular/highly requested character, surely a solid score in the ballot, and would only need "70% of the effort required" to make him (and that's not counting what he could port from Brawl.)

Sadly, I think what's going to count the most here is his popularity and ballot results. His high demand and easier creation is what got him in Brawl, and so hopefully the community's reaction to his absence from Smash 4 was felt/noticed by Sakurai. In all, I'm not too worried about his inclusion, but I'm already going into this game with low expectations either way.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
The importamt thing to remember is that characters that have games released during the time of Smash's development have a higher likelihood of making it in. Sakurai mentioned that's why Robin specifically got in, and of course other examples apply as well. Wold had a couple appearances during that time frame, so it looks good.

Couple that with popularity, and I say he's more than likely to come back, especially if the ballot results are heavily influencing Smash 5's roster like people think it is.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
The importamt thing to remember is that characters that have games released during the time of Smash's development have a higher likelihood of making it in. Sakurai mentioned that's why Robin specifically got in, and of course other examples apply as well. Wold had a couple appearances during that time frame, so it looks good.

Couple that with popularity, and I say he's more than likely to come back, especially if the ballot results are heavily influencing Smash 5's roster like people think it is.
True. However, with DLC, Wolf and Corrin both had games coming out around the time of the final DLC's release. Star Fox: Zero would've come out the same month if it hadn't been delayed.

I think his recent appearance in Star Fox: Zero and the very well-received release of Star Fox 2 may help his chances for the base roster, in addition to his popularity and ballot results, but I fear that his recency won't matter if we have to rely on DLC.

I will say that I think the release of Star Fox 2 may help more than expected. Star Fox: Zero may have had lackluster sales, but people all over social media were going nuts over Star Fox 2, to the point where it was high up on Twitter's trending tab. It shows that people still love the series, despite Star Fox: Zero's performance.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
True. However, with DLC, Wolf and Corrin both had games coming out around the time of the final DLC's release. Star Fox: Zero would've come out the same month if it hadn't been delayed.

I think his recent appearance in Star Fox: Zero and the very well-received release of Star Fox 2 may help his chances for the base roster, in addition to his popularity and ballot results, but I fear that his recency won't matter if we have to rely on DLC.

I will say that I think the release of Star Fox 2 may help more than expected. Star Fox: Zero may have had lackluster sales, but people all over social media were going nuts over Star Fox 2, to the point where it was high up on Twitter's trending tab. It shows that people still love the series, despite Star Fox: Zero's performance.
I'm not gonna freak out over DLC. Limited spots, and Sakurai clearly prefers to support FE over other series. New roster, more spots, relevancy still intact, popularity reaffirmed, he just makes too much sense right now. I'm pretty confident in his chances of coming back.

Also rag on Zero all you want, (it deserves it), but it did give Wolf Lightning tornado, and we know Sakurai values uniqueness.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
I'm not gonna freak out over DLC. Limited spots, and Sakurai clearly prefers to support FE over other series. New roster, more spots, relevancy still intact, popularity reaffirmed, he just makes too much sense right now. I'm pretty confident in his chances of coming back.

Also rag on Zero all you want, (it deserves it), but it did give Wolf Lightning tornado, and we know Sakurai values uniqueness.
Once again, you make a good point.

I don't know if Lightning Tornado will have much of an impact, but we'll see. I don't like to rag on Star Fox: Zero, as I actually really enjoyed the game. I'm more disappointed in its reception/sales and because it fails to escape Star Fox 64's shadow more than anything.

Miyamoto did say that Star Fox isn't dead, though, and that he'll be putting forth much more energy/effort for future installments in the series. Hopefully that means we'll see a new story, new mechanics, etc. A game that takes place between Assault and Command, or an official 'canon' game that replaced Command, would be nice to see.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Once again, you make a good point.

I don't know if Lightning Tornado will have much of an impact, but we'll see. I don't like to rag on Star Fox: Zero, as I actually really enjoyed the game. I'm more disappointed in its reception/sales and because it fails to escape Star Fox 64's shadow more than anything.

Miyamoto did say that Star Fox isn't dead, though, and that he'll be putting forth much more energy/effort for future installments in the series. Hopefully that means we'll see a new story, new mechanics, etc. A game that takes place between Assault and Command, or an official 'canon' game that replaced Command, would be nice to see.
Yeah I don't think Lightning Tornado will influence much of the decision unless Sakurai really gets inspired by some concept from the attack. It's definitely not the driving point to re-add Wolf to the game that I originally made it out to be.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Yeah I don't think Lightning Tornado will influence much of the decision unless Sakurai really gets inspired by some concept from the attack. It's definitely not the driving point to re-add Wolf to the game that I originally made it out to be.
If Wolf is planned in some way, shape, or form, and knows about Lightning Tornado in the first place, then he may use it to replace his Side or Up Specials, or use it as a custom move for either. Would be cool to see what he does with it, if he does anything at all. Just as long as Wolf doesn't shout "LIGHTNING TORNADO!" every time he uses it like in SFZ.

Also, got a bit bored and found a thread regarding an ideal E3 trailer for Smash. I went the route of a character reveal, and figured why not post it here. If anyone want to read it, it's in the spoiler tab below.

The camera fades into space, and an Arwing zooms past the camera, causing the camera to turn as the Arwing passes, revealing it traveling towards a sort of space station. As the Arwing gets closer, a Wolfen shoots out of the station and begins pursuit, queing the Star Wolf theme. The Wolfen continues to chase the Arwing around the station, actually being Sargasso Hideout. The Arwing risks a sharp right turn, but it doesn't pay off. The Wolfen intercepts the Arwing, catching it in-between the Wolfen's upper and lower body portions. The Wolfen rams the Arwing at full speed, eventually crashing through the hideout's docking bay.

The two briefly skid along the ground until they grind to a halt. A figure launches out of the Wolfen before the camera changes to a first-person view of the one within the Arwing. You hear a thud land on top of the Arwing, but the cockpit's glass is cracked, so you can't make out who it is. Suddenly, claws pop out from under the glass and they raise it up. It's Wolf, pointing his blaster straight at the Arwing's pilot.

But he's caught off guard, as the blaster is knocked out of his hand, and is then blown back completely by a powerful blast. The camera follows Wolf as he lands on his back, before swapping to an over-the-shoulder view of him looking at a figure emerging from the wreckage. The camera zooms in, and it's Krystal, using her staff to help her out of the cockpit. Wolf jumps to his feet and assumes a fighting stance, while Krystal assumes a stance of her own from atop the Arwing.

The two are ready for a showdown, when the whole hideout goes black, and an orange light appears from the side. The camera swaps to a close-up view of the two as they both lower their guard, and look towards the light. The camera then focuses in on Krystal's eye, revealing the flaming Smash Bros. logo. The camera then swaps to a full shot of the logo and a couple of silhouettes in front of it. The camera then quickly swaps to a closeup of two particular silhouettes, one resembling Fox's, followed by another resembling Falco's. The camera then swaps back to the logo before zooming out, and the Smash Bros. outro plays.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
If Wolf is planned in some way, shape, or form, and knows about Lightning Tornado in the first place, then he may use it to replace his Side or Up Specials, or use it as a custom move for either. Would be cool to see what he does with it, if he does anything at all. Just as long as Wolf doesn't shout "LIGHTNING TORNADO!" every time he uses it like in SFZ.

Also, got a bit bored and found a thread regarding an ideal E3 trailer for Smash. I went the route of a character reveal, and figured why not post it here. If anyone want to read it, it's in the spoiler tab below.

The camera fades into space, and an Arwing zooms past the camera, causing the camera to turn as the Arwing passes, revealing it traveling towards a sort of space station. As the Arwing gets closer, a Wolfen shoots out of the station and begins pursuit, queing the Star Wolf theme. The Wolfen continues to chase the Arwing around the station, actually being Sargasso Hideout. The Arwing risks a sharp right turn, but it doesn't pay off. The Wolfen intercepts the Arwing, catching it in-between the Wolfen's upper and lower body portions. The Wolfen rams the Arwing at full speed, eventually crashing through the hideout's docking bay.

The two briefly skid along the ground until they grind to a halt. A figure launches out of the Wolfen before the camera changes to a first-person view of the one within the Arwing. You hear a thud land on top of the Arwing, but the cockpit's glass is cracked, so you can't make out who it is. Suddenly, claws pop out from under the glass and they raise it up. It's Wolf, pointing his blaster straight at the Arwing's pilot.

But he's caught off guard, as the blaster is knocked out of his hand, and is then blown back completely by a powerful blast. The camera follows Wolf as he lands on his back, before swapping to an over-the-shoulder view of him looking at a figure emerging from the wreckage. The camera zooms in, and it's Krystal, using her staff to help her out of the cockpit. Wolf jumps to his feet and assumes a fighting stance, while Krystal assumes a stance of her own from atop the Arwing.

The two are ready for a showdown, when the whole hideout goes black, and an orange light appears from the side. The camera swaps to a close-up view of the two as they both lower their guard, and look towards the light. The camera then focuses in on Krystal's eye, revealing the flaming Smash Bros. logo. The camera then swaps to a full shot of the logo and a couple of silhouettes in front of it. The camera then quickly swaps to a closeup of two particular silhouettes, one resembling Fox's, followed by another resembling Falco's. The camera then swaps back to the logo before zooming out, and the Smash Bros. outro plays.
I'm sure he's aware of it, but what I'm saying is one attack isn't going to get Sakurai to bring a character back unless it was a major focus of a redesign because he said he values uniqueness. I still think he's a near lock for other reasons, but I no longer believe that Lightning Tornado is one of them.

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
Lightning Tornado will probably just be his up b (which desperately needed a rework anyway). Also, it'd be awesome if his Final Smash was the Hunter from Zero:

definitely solves the "3 arwings" problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom