• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Sargasso Hideout - Wolf O'Donnell Support Thread

What voice do you prefer for Wolf?

• American (Star Fox: Assault & Smash Bros. Brawl)

Votes: 92 73.6%
  • British (Star Fox 64 & Star Fox Zero)

Votes: 33 26.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
It's worth noting that Sakurai openly stated, at the time of Kid Icarus Uprising being announced, that he had considered making a Star Fox title before settling on reviving the Kid Icarus franchise, instead;
I'm familiar with that. I think that anything Sakurai could've made would've surpassed Star Fox Zero, but I'm happy he went with Kid Icarus. Always nice to see dead franchises have some new life into them.

I don't really think he's going with Star Fox this time, though, unless he's going with something completely different from his vision from before. Maybe if he's going in the Assault route, having on-foot combat and using the rifle prop as a design reference, but I doubt it. Nintendo's probably really cautious with the Star Fox IP now.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Doubtful though it may be, I'd really like that. :laugh:
Amen to that.

I've said it probably 100 times by now, but I'll say it again. Assault was the best direction the series could've taken. It just wasn't executed all too well on the Gamecube.

I think that the Switch is perfect platform for an Assault-esque game. Switch in general has a lot of potential.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I've said it probably 100 times by now, but I'll say it again. Assault was the best direction the series could've taken. It just wasn't executed all too well on the Gamecube.
It was executed well for the time, though - a bigger problem was people simply not giving it a chance because it didn't conform to a particular template.

Anyway, as I've probably said before, Assault is my favourite game in the rebooted lineage that began with Star Fox 64, by far, so I wholeheartedly agree with you.

Foxy Alopex

Smash Ace
NNID
Foxy_Alopex
Anyone here getting the Super NES Mini/classic and what games are you excited to play? For me I can't wait to play Star Fox and Star Fox 2 because I never really had a chance to play the original Star Fox back then and I can play Star Fox 2 afterwards.
I also can't wait to play Super Mario RPG all over again since it was my very first rpg game that I ever played which introduced to me to the rpg genre.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Anyone here getting the Super NES Mini/classic and what games are you excited to play? For me I can't wait to play Star Fox and Star Fox 2 because I never really had a chance to play the original Star Fox back then and I can play Star Fox 2 afterwards.
I also can't wait to play Super Mario RPG all over again since it was my very first rpg game that I ever played which introduced to me to the rpg genre.
Mine arrived a short time ago, and I've just finished setting it up. I'll be playing it shortly. :grin:

They didn't just shrink the SNES - apparently they shrunk Fox, too! :laugh: I can't believe how tiny and cute this machine is.

Anyway, I'm most excited to revisit Kirby Super Deluxe, followed by Star Fox. Naturally, I'm massively looking forward to finally getting to play the final version of Star Fox 2, as well!

I'm also curious about giving EarthBound and Super Mario RPG a go, because these were never released in Europe back in the day, and because I don't enjoy RPGs, I was never inclined to purchase the later Virtual Console releases of them. However, since they're here on this machine that I bought for a multitude of other games, I'm actually really looking forward to giving them a try, too.

Last edited:

KiyoXDragon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KiyoXDragon
3DS FC
2981-7067-0666
Switch FC
SW-1752-3317-0324
I love Wolf, add me to the support list.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Amen to that.

I think that the Switch is perfect platform for an Assault-esque game. Switch in general has a lot of potential.
Man, this! I always felt Assault was an amazing looking game, and I felt it was a damn shame I missed out on it. The ground missions where something I always imagined would've been beautiful in Star Fox, and I really hope they are going to expand on this. Maybe add in Fox's Reflector from Smash as a extra, cause that would fit the lack of a 'Barrel Roll' technique on foot.

Anyway, yeah, totally down with this. I've read that Assault's ground missions felt real rushed. But if they could fine-tune them, like for example how Samus Returns seems to draw from Other M and the physical combat system, then I think it would be a amazing Star Fox game. And it, for once, DOESN'T need to be a remake or retelling or whatever of Star Fox 64.

The Smash Nerd II.0.

Smash Journeyman
Man, this! I always felt Assault was an amazing looking game, and I felt it was a damn shame I missed out on it. The ground missions where something I always imagined would've been beautiful in Star Fox, and I really hope they are going to expand on this. Maybe add in Fox's Reflector from Smash as a extra, cause that would fit the lack of a 'Barrel Roll' technique on foot.

Anyway, yeah, totally down with this. I've read that Assault's ground missions felt real rushed. But if they could fine-tune them, like for example how Samus Returns seems to draw from Other M and the physical combat system, then I think it would be a amazing Star Fox game. And it, for once, DOESN'T need to be a remake or retelling or whatever of Star Fox 64.
Or put Assault on the Nintendo Switch and have it in High Def.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
What the heck?! No way! I don't believe it! There's a Wolf support thread here! Some fun Wolf quotes at the beginning there. Anyways, I was in the old support thread and I would've stayed but Smashboards didn't like alerting me when a post was made and it was a pain to get to otherwise so I'll stick around this one if I actually get alerted. Need my Brawl main back. Robin and Roy are good fun but they can't compare to Wolf (also, please bring back chain grabs and give Pikachu back his Brawl QAC, kay thanks)...(kay also give Ganon back his sh ac dair, his untechable Flame Choke and his Melee dthrow, Dark Dive and Wizkick too. That's it, I swear)

AdmN30

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AdmiralN
Switch FC
SW-2324-3227-3622
I still support Wolf. He should never have been dropped. Add me to the list please!

D

Deleted member

Literally my most wanted cut veteran. It's his absence that makes Sm4sh's roster feel incomplete.
I support this 100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000%.
More than that actually.

Last edited by a moderator:

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
I think Wolf should come back, but I don't think he deserves to be a big reveal. He should just come back without much fanfare, alongside a few other characters in the debut Smash Switch trailer.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I think Wolf should come back, but I don't think he deserves to be a big reveal. He should just come back without much fanfare, alongside a few other characters in the debut Smash Switch trailer.
Yes this. His absence is just weird considering he was a late priority addition in Brawl as well. I would imagine his recreation to be easy. Yet Lucas also didn't make the base roster. Those two cuts and no Mewtwo on the base roster where my biggest turn offs in terms of veterans.

Imagine Wolf would actually be quite good in Smash 4's metagame. Shame he missed out.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
Sweet, a Wolf thread. Didn't know this existed until now. Hopefully Wolf makes his return to a Sm4sh port on the Switch. Add me to the supporter list!

On a side note, I just got done revisiting Assault which makes me wish Wolf were back in Smash every time I play that game.

Last edited:

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
I support Wolf in a form resembling that in Project M. He looks so feral and brutal when he fights.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
All of these newly announced Switch ports have gotten mine hopes up for Star Fox Zero being "Switched". I never bought it for the Wii U, because I didn't like how you had to glance between the Gamepad and the telly. That said, a Switch port with more freedom in that regard will be a deal breaker for me.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
All of these newly announced Switch ports have gotten mine hopes up for Star Fox Zero being "Switched". I never bought it for the Wii U, because I didn't like how you had to glance between the Gamepad and the telly. That said, a Switch port with more freedom in that regard will be a deal breaker for me.
Would be nice to see Star Fox Zero ported over, but I'm not sure that they would. The game didn't sell very well due to its motion controls, which was the focal point of the gameplay, and they'd have to completely redo the controls in order for it to work on Switch.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Be that as it may, I would still like it to happen during the Switch port ride, but will understand if they don’t end up doing it.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
Personally, I want to see a new Star Fox on Switch that combines elements from 64 and Zero. One thing I definitely want to see is the return of the Blue Marine.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
I'd love for there to be a Starfox game that doesn't take 10 years after the last one to come out that also doesn't rely on controller gimmicks. I've at least beaten Command and the game isn't terrible. As someone who likes Fire Emblem, I like the strategy involved with defending the Great Fox and using numerous ships with different attributes. But Command relied nearly entirely on the touchscreen with every actual button just being mapped to 'fire laser'. Haven't yet beaten Zero but that was the Skyward Sword for the Wii U, the game where Nintendo sat there like 'this gimmick is good damnit! Watch us make a game entirely centered around it to prove it!'

AdmN30

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AdmiralN
Switch FC
SW-2324-3227-3622
I would much rather see a new Star Fox game on the Switch with a new plot. Zero's strict gamepad functionality wasn't well-received and seeing the same rehashed plot-line from the first Star Fox and Star Fox 64 is getting tiring.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Of course a new game would be preferred; that goes without saying, but if they have no planned vision for one yet, a ported SF0 would be better than nothing in the meantime and wouldn’t take as much effort. /shrug

Command is still the worst of the series for me, but seeing talk of its gameplay now makes me imagine how more refined it could’ve been had it debuted on 3DS...

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
Well this is a pleasant surprise, it seems there's still love for Wolf even after everything that's happened. Anyway, greetings fellow Wolf fans, glad to know there's still people wanting to keep the dream alive. It really is a damn shame that he was left out of Smash 4, and without really knowing why (I kinda want to blame the 3DS version's existence). Like much of you I thought DLC would be his moment, but that didn't go well. Part of me is still in disbelief that we were able to get :4lucas:, :4mewtwo: and even :4feroy:, yet no Wolf. And he's more unique than most of those aforementioned characters. Go figure. Ah well, here's hoping that a likely-to-happen Smash on Switch takes care of this issue. Go ahead and add me to the ranks.

a ported SF0 would be better than nothing in the meantime and wouldn’t take as much effort. /shrug
Not sure if players would bite considering the original game didn't do all that well, mainly due to the game being developed entirely around motion controls and the Gamepad screen. If Nintendo were to port SFZ over I'd expect them to keep all of the controls intact, which essentially leaves us with the same problem (minus a second screen). Unless they do the unexpected and retool the game to use traditional controls in the vein of SF64 and SFA.

Questionmark222

Smash Journeyman
I 100% support that thread. Wolf is my favorite character in all Smash games and I would more than love it if he comes back in the next Smash.
Could you add me to the supporters list?

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
I wasn't a big fan of Command. I think I played one mission in that game, was incredibly disappointed with what I played, and never touched the game again. I'm not big on the strategy with the world map and defending the Great Fox and all, but I'm glad some other people liked it. If I had to rank the Star Fox games I played (And I'll exclude Command because I hardly played it at all) it'd look like this:
1. 64
2. Zero/Assault
3. Adventures
Of course I have yet to play the original on the Snes or the recently released sequel to that but none of the games above I thought were necessarily bad but most of them left a lot to be desired. Of course I just really want a true follow up to 64 in that game's style with maybe some of the elements from Zero like the Grav Master and the Walker (maybe even the Road Master from the one bonus mission) and I'd also like to see a great multiplayer mode like the one in Assault.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
I didn't play 64 till it came out on the virtual console on Wii and I honestly didn't see what was so great about it aside from the cheesy voice acting. I still believe that Assault is the best in the series and that if it was released later (or perhaps rereleased), its multiplayer could've been awesome for online play. Falco would have to be rebalanced though since he's literally equal to or worse than Wolf in every way. I jokingly used to say that Adventures was my favourite Zelda title and honestly, it's my 3rd favourite game of that style, only behind BotW and WW. Command IS heavily flawed since the entire game is in all range mode save for the missile chases and the entire game boils down to kill all of X type of enemy and sometimes barrel roll into a UFO after but again, I personally enjoyed enough of it thanks to my love for FE to call Command at least an okay game. I have no experience with the SNES title and my experience with Zero is very small.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
It's still pretty appalling to me that Wolf didn't make it, especially over some of the veterans that did make it and some of those other newcomers. It seemed so obvious that he would be DLC he practically felt confirmed. Wolf is now in the old spot Mewtwo was in terms of somebody who missed a game who had no reason to not be there. Sadly, the community seems to be kind of exhausted after the disappointing SSB4 roster, so Wolf doesn't seem like he's going to quite get the outrage that Mewtwo got. Still, be sure to be vocal about Wolf's cut when you can.

64 and Assault are the only games of real value in the series, which is a shame considering the potential Zero had. Assault just really needed a better villain force than the Aparoids - its use of Pigma and Andrew was great while they lasted. Maybe Pigma could overtake the Aparoids rather than having a faceless queen? That probably would've gone over better than what we got in the end.

Still, Sakurai had no way of knowing that Zero was going to be received so poorly. For all he knew the game would've been what the franchise needed to finally be saved. Wolf was super relevant at the time the DLC was coming out, he would've been a much better advertisement than Corrin. Ridiculous.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
Falco would have to be rebalanced though since he's literally equal to or worse than Wolf in every way.
I definitely agree here. Though Wolf might really need to be the one rebalanced since his stats are far surperior to everyone else in that game. On a side note: I wouldn't mind seeing other Star Wolf members become playable if the game got a rerelease.
I jokingly used to say that Adventures was my favourite Zelda title and honestly, it's my 3rd favourite game of that style, only behind BotW and WW.
BotW and WW are also my favorite games in that style as well. I wouldn't say Adventures is third though, I thought for one that the game was way too hard at certain points. I'm sure we all remember musclefoot but there was also the part in Dragon's Rock were you had to ride the dinosaur and shoot down the towers which was just the worst. I also wasn't a fan of Tricky's utilization in that game, I thought it was a little annoying having to make sure he was with you all the time just so you could make him dig a hole or breathe fire on a plant or stuff like that.

D

Deleted member

I don't care what Sakurai decides to do with Smash Switch. Bring Wolf back, and I'll be satisfied 100%!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
They actually confirmed Smash on Switch. Hell yeah! Excited to see whats more to come!

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
To be fair, that's what people (myself included) would call his omission the last time around... But yeah, here's to hoping.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Someone did a really good job with outlining the silhouettes on Reddit. Still trying to figure out who those two spikes or ears between DK and Peach belong to..
We can dream.

Last edited:

Tonydrake

Smash Apprentice
I was so disappointed when he didn't get into Smash Bros 4. I was in denial, was so sure he would be added eventually as DLC just like Mewtwo, Roy and Lucas, but he never did...

He's my favourite Star Fox character and it's really sad to see him gone from the roster

Please Sakurai, please, bring my wolf back!!! He has to return this time

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom