• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Sargasso Hideout - Wolf O'Donnell Support Thread

What voice do you prefer for Wolf?

• American (Star Fox: Assault & Smash Bros. Brawl)

Votes: 92 73.6%
  • British (Star Fox 64 & Star Fox Zero)

Votes: 33 26.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Although there's room for improvement with the on-foot combat if they choose to go there again, Star Fox's soul will always revolve flying around with the arwing and other vehicles...

Just remembering from what I saw recently, but Splatoon 2 should be having a co-op PvE mode, so that's definitely doable with SF.

RetroGamersGuru

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RetroGamersGuru
A modernized online co-op sounds nice. Of course I personally would try the online PvP or PvE modes as long as they didn't fit the Command criteria.

The series has been about air combat and level-based gameplay for the most part. The games span multiple worlds too considering the space theme. A SF game based on 1 world without much flying combat and heavily story based sounds like a completely different game than SF aside from SF Adventures. I don't mind the idea of improving grounded gameplay that was proposed in SF Assault, but that previously mentioned alternative basically tells me that someone wants a completely different game with SF skins, which again is what happened with SF Adventures. Platinum Games still could easily make a great game with Star Fox, but I think it still would have some basis on the previous formula. The problem with Star Fox Zero was mostly the lack of control-scheme alternatives and the default being poorly executed. I personally didn't enjoy the SF 64 story being remade again since the story was already remade from the SNES game.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
A modernized online co-op sounds nice. Of course I personally would try the online PvP or PvE modes as long as they didn't fit the Command criteria.

The series has been about air combat and level-based gameplay for the most part. The games span multiple worlds too considering the space theme. A SF game based on 1 world without much flying combat and heavily story based sounds like a completely different game than SF aside from SF Adventures. I don't mind the idea of improving grounded gameplay that was proposed in SF Assault, but that previously mentioned alternative basically tells me that someone wants a completely different game with SF skins, which again is what happened with SF Adventures. Platinum Games still could easily make a great game with Star Fox, but I think it still would have some basis on the previous formula. The problem with Star Fox Zero was mostly the lack of control-scheme alternatives and the default being poorly executed. I personally didn't enjoy the SF 64 story being remade again since the story was already remade from the SNES game.
Nah nah nah. There needs to be multiple planets. Not even planets. Maybe moons and asteroids and comets ect too.

I just want a proper flying experience, proper grounded experience and proper engaging and fun online versus mode. 'just' makes it seem like thats not much to ask for but it is. Story needs to be new and fresh...and not simple.

RetroGamersGuru

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RetroGamersGuru
Nah nah nah. There needs to be multiple planets. Not even planets. Maybe moons and asteroids and comets ect too.

I just want a proper flying experience, proper grounded experience and proper engaging and fun online versus mode. 'just' makes it seem like thats not much to ask for but it is. Story needs to be new and fresh...and not simple.
Yeah, I agree with that. SF has potential for a complex space story, so Platinum could possibly do that.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Star Fox in general has a lot of potential. I just hope that one day, Nintendo realizes and reaches said potential.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Someone revived the thread? Someone revived the thread!

The SNES Mini being a thing is pretty cool, but damn that's awesome to see Star Fox 2 officially being released. Wonder what made them decide to include it? Granted, it was practically finished, just never released. Also curious if it'll be canon to any one of the Star Fox continuations, or if it'll just be its own thing.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Also curious if it'll be canon to any one of the Star Fox continuations, or if it'll just be its own thing.
I'd imagine it'll just remain part of the SNES continuity, the same as it was always meant to be, personally.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I'd imagine it'll just remain part of the SNES continuity, the same as it was always meant to be, personally.
Same.

Because we all know the 64 Era Reboot is the most popular canon of the franchise.

With SNES Era and Zero reboot to a lesser extent being the least popular.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Same.

Because we all know the 64 Era Reboot is the most popular canon of the franchise.

With SNES Era and Zero reboot to a lesser extent being the least popular.
The SNES continuity only ended up in that state because it was cut short by an unnecessary reboot, alas. :(

Though certain sites often swap around the sales figures for the original Star Fox and Star Fox 64, the original Star Fox is still the best-selling game in the series, at over 4 million copies. Star Fox 64 was lucky to "retain" so many people at around 3 million sold - the sharp drop-off started immediately after that, though.

Ah well, it is what it is. I'm just happy that we're finally getting Star Fox 2, even if it is more than two decades late! :laugh:

I hope that it'll at least mean that we could get the awesome original Star Wolf theme in Smash, too. :grin: I love that tune.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
The SNES continuity only ended up in that state because it was cut short by an unnecessary reboot, alas. :(

Though certain sites often swap around the sales figures for the original Star Fox and Star Fox 64, the original Star Fox is still the best-selling game in the series, at over 4 million copies. Star Fox 64 was lucky to "retain" so many people at around 3 million sold - the sharp drop-off started immediately after that, though.

Ah well, it is what it is. I'm just happy that we're finally getting Star Fox 2, even if it is more than two decades late! :laugh:

I hope that it'll at least mean that we could get the awesome original Star Wolf theme in Smash, too. :grin: I love that tune.
I never heard that before, I like it, I like it a lot.

I'm really hoping I can get my hands on one of these systems without having to pay the a left you-know-what. I've shamefully missed quite a few SNES classics, and it's time to do some catching up.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Whoa, somebody brought this thread back to life?

And what's this about SNES continuity?

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
And what's this about SNES continuity?
Star Fox 2's being officially released on the SNES Mini. It's out on September 29th.

It's just nice to see them finally acknowledge that it exists, which they almost entirely stopped doing when they rebooted the series with Star Fox 64 20 years ago.

Last edited:

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
I'm just dropping by and say I want Wolf O'Donnel to return to Smash.

Foxy Alopex

Smash Ace
NNID
Foxy_Alopex
Yay I can't wait for the Super NES classic and I can finally play the original Star Fox and Star Fox 2.

As for Star Fox 2 finally being released gives me somewhat hope that Nintendo hasn't forgotten about Star Fox.

After Zero's failure I was worried that Star Fox might be thrown in the back burner like other forgotten Nintendo franchises.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
I'm just dropping by and say I want Wolf O'Donnel to return to Smash.
Welcome to the pack!

Yay I can't wait for the Super NES classic and I can finally play the original Star Fox and Star Fox 2.

As for Star Fox 2 finally being released gives me somewhat hope that Nintendo hasn't forgotten about Star Fox.

After Zero's failure I was worried that Star Fox might be thrown in the back burner like other forgotten Nintendo franchises.
The release of Star Fox 2 confirms that Nintendo hasn't forgotten about Star Fox. However, even without Star Fox 2 being released, I doubt that Zero's lackluster performance would cause Nintendo to forget about the franchise. Star Fox probably won't have a new game for a little while, but Star Fox 2 is a good sign.

Sadly, though, Star Fox is in a pretty rough spot. Nintendo isn't really sure where to take the series next. One thing that hurt me was how Nintendo apparently shot down Koei Tecmo's Star Fox Warriors pitch. Instead, they went on to make Fire Emblem Warriors, and have already stated that they would love to make a sequel, should this one sell well. Hopefully, if Nintendo catches on to the Star Fox 2 excitement, they'll give Koei Tecmo a chance with Star Fox Warriors.

Question is, though, would having a game like Star Fox Warriors even help the franchise? If it would end with poor sales, then the series is essentially ****ed. If it sells well, then where could Nintendo themselves take a main series Star Fox game next? Another thing is that I'd love to see Star Fox get a consistent timeline established, but I think Star Fox Warriors could potentially hurt that idea.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
One thing that hurt me was how Nintendo apparently shot down Koei Tecmo's Star Fox Warriors pitch.
I wouldn't let that hurt you considering the track-record of the sole source of that claim.

The same group brought us Splatoon The Enhanced Port Definitely Not A Sequel as launch-day Switch pack-in, Super Mario Odyssey as the big launch-day game, Switch only available in grey at launch and then also white later on, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is delayed until later in the summer, Switch has two SKUs with one having more on-board storage, Ten Separate People Told Us That Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Has New Cups, and numerous other claims that held no water.

Moreover, the Star Fox Warriors claim itself doesn't appear to hold water, because it hinged on a claim that it was turned down due to the series having no future. However, within days of the claims being made, Miyamoto stated that he wished to put more effort into making Star Fox (and Pikmin) more popular than they are, which directly contradicts what was said - if the series has no future to the point that Nintendo was refusing to commission further games, then Miyamoto simply wouldn't be able to do that.

Last edited:

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
I wouldn't let that hurt you considering the track-record of the sole source of that claim.

The same group brought us Splatoon The Enhanced Port Definitely Not A Sequel as launch-day Switch pack-in, Super Mario Odyssey as the big launch-day game, Switch only available in grey at launch and then also white later on, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is delayed until later in the summer, Switch has two SKUs with one having more on-board storage, Ten Separate People Told Us That Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Has New Cups, and numerous other claims that held no water.

Moreover, the Star Fox Warriors claim itself doesn't appear to hold water, because it hinged on a claim that it was turned down due to the series having no future. However, within days of the claims being made, Miyamoto stated that he wished to put more effort into making Star Fox (and Pikmin) more popular than they are, which directly contradicts what was said - if the series has no future to the point that Nintendo was refusing to commission further games, then Miyamoto simply wouldn't be able to do that.
Hence why I said "apparently". Although I couldn't find any more proof of it, the idea still seems plausible given the circumstances. Guess I gave it a little bit more belief than it really earned. Still, you bring up fair points. Nowadays, one can't really believe in anything without absolute proof/confirmation.

I heard of Miyamoto stating that he wanted to put more effort into Star Fox and Pikmin. Which brings the question: Where do you think he'll put that effort? Controls? Gameplay? Story? Little bit of everything?

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Which brings the question: Where do you think he'll put that effort? Controls? Gameplay? Story? Little bit of everything?
Honestly, I hope that he'll put the effort into letting the series evolve and grow naturally, instead of continually rebooting it. ;) I mean, the series has three separate continuities, now, and ultimately none of them have been allowed to gain enough traction to stick around.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Honestly, I hope that he'll put the effort into letting the series evolve and grow naturally, instead of continually rebooting it. ;) I mean, the series has three separate continuities, now, and ultimately none of them have been allowed to gain enough traction to stick around.
Honestly, I hope they pick either the 64/Adventures/Assault/Command timeline or the new Zero timeline, and just stick with it from here on out. I would much rather them pick the former, personally.

Thing is, they'd have to either pick one of Command's endings to be canon, or just declare the entire game as non-canon. Alternatively, they could easily tell the team's tales from in between the games. Not much could be done between 64 and Adventures, but I'm sure there's room to expand before and after Assault.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Honestly, I hope they pick either the 64/Adventures/Assault/Command timeline or the new Zero timeline, and just stick with it from here on out. I would much rather them pick the former, personally.
I'm not a fan of the rebooted continuity established by Star Fox 64 or the re-rebooted one established by Star Fox Zero, myself. But I know that the revisit to the original continuity with the SNES Mini is all that we're ever going to get on that front (and I'm grateful that we're even getting that, after all the decades that they spent more-or-less denying its existence), and even though I wish that they would return to the original continuity, I also know that, for people who weren't around for the original continuity, they consider the Star Fox 64 lineage to be "the" Star Fox continuity.

Accordingly, the Star Fox 64 continuity really is the one that they should continue with.

Thing is, they'd have to either pick one of Command's endings to be canon, or just declare the entire game as non-canon. Alternatively, they could easily tell the team's tales from in between the games. Not much could be done between 64 and Adventures, but I'm sure there's room to expand before and after Assault.
I like Command for what it is, and I feel that it gets dismissed unfairly a lot of the time, but one of its numerous flaws is that the focus of a lot of its endings are what-if scenarios, and not very many of them would be suitable to continue on from. My personal favourite ending is "Fox and Falco's Faulty Victory" (the one where they become "G-Zero" racers), and that's certainly not one that's suitable for that! :laugh:

Building upon the foundations laid by Assault would most definitely be the way to go, not just plot-wise, but gameplay-wise as well, regardless of whether or not they pick a suitable Command ending to pick up from.

Also, if we could ditch the freaky elongated heads, that would be great, too. :grin:

Last edited:

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
I'm not a fan of the rebooted continuity established by Star Fox 64 or the re-rebooted one established by Star Fox Zero, myself. But I know that the revisit to the original continuity with the SNES Mini is all that we're ever going to get on that front (and I'm grateful that we're even getting that, after all the decades that they spent more-or-less denying its existence), and even though I wish that they would return to the original continuity, I also know that, for people who weren't around for the original continuity, they consider the Star Fox 64 lineage to be "the" Star Fox continuity.

Accordingly, the Star Fox 64 continuity really is the one that they should continue with.

I like Command for what it is, and I feel that it gets dismissed unfairly a lot of the time, but one of its numerous flaws is that the focus of a lot of its endings are what-if scenarios, and not very many of them would be suitable to continue on from. My personal favourite ending is "Fox and Falco's Faulty Victory" (the one where they become "G-Zero" racers), and that's certainly not one that's suitable for that! :laugh:

Building upon the foundations laid by Assault would most definitely be the way to go, not just plot-wise, but gameplay-wise as well, regardless of whether or not they pick a suitable Command ending to pick up from.

Also, if we could ditch the freaky elongated heads, that would be great, too. :grin:
I love Command for what it is, but I feel that it was such a large step backwards from what Assault was. Adventures, even though it didn't start off as a Star Fox game, introduced the idea of Star Fox on-foot combat. It just lacked what made Star Fox Star Fox, but as I previously said, is mostly due to the game not originally being a Star Fox title. Assault expanded on what Adventures could have been, but brought back high-tech gadgets, space missions, etc. I feel like Command just ignored that ground work and expanded more off of 64's choice-making mechanics, turning it into an RPG of sorts.

Honestly, I'd be happy if they declared Command non-canon, and made a new Assault-esque game where they either continued the Aparoids story, re-did the Anglars story, or just did something new.

Of course, all I want is for Star Fox to succeed. Whatever sells the best is perfectly fine with me.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Of course, all I want is for Star Fox to succeed. Whatever sells the best is perfectly fine with me.
Yeah, same here, in the end (hence why I feel that they should continue with my least-liked continuity, as it's the only one that they ever allowed to become decently-established, and it's therefore the best-known of them).

I do think that Assault is the best game to take heed of moving forward, though - I think it struck a pretty nice balance between traditional flight missions, and the on-foot stuff.

eltacoenojado

Smash Journeyman
I don't get on smash boards very much anymore, but I 100% support Wolf's return. I miss him so much on Smash 4

Nauzgo

Smash Journeyman
Despite being a Lucas main, I thought it was kinda unfair to include Lucas as DLC but not Wolf in Sm4sh. Wolf was in my opinion also one of the coolest characters in Brawl and one of the best newcomers. So I'm again all in for his return in the new Smash. Feel free to add me again to that supporters list.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
If Star Fox Zero ever gets "Switched", I could see Wolf returning in the possible Smash 4 port--if the demand for him is high enough.

Personally, I am neutral on the matter. Despite being another clone of Fox, Wolf had his own playstyle. That said, I'm interested to see how he would play in Smash 4. That said, however, I won't be too upset if he doesn't make the cut.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Last I've read, Star Fox Zero's reviews weren't all that impressive, and being so heavily reliant on the Wii U GamePad pretty much makes a Nintendo Switch port extremely unlikely.

AnonymousMoon

Smash Lord
NNID
AnonynousMoon
3DS FC
0791-2743-3698
Last I've read, Star Fox Zero's reviews weren't all that impressive, and being so heavily reliant on the Wii U GamePad pretty much makes a Nintendo Switch port extremely unlikely.
To what extent was it reliant, though?

if I recall correctly, it seems the only real difference would be removing the double perspective game play which honestly seemed more confusing in of itself. I can't imagine there being no way to just alter the controls to fit a more standardized style with the Switch. I could be forgetting something, though.

Star Fox 2 on the SNES mini seems more like a fantastic last-minute addition to me.

"What games should we put into his, boys?"

"Wait a minute, what about that's Star Fox 2 game we've been sitting on?"

"Jeremy, you've done it, again!"

I mean, this is just the perfect time--no effort, new experience, all that investment paid off, and it provides more incentive for people to buy an already lovely looking product.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
To what extent was it reliant, though?

if I recall correctly, it seems the only real difference would be removing the double perspective game play which honestly seemed more confusing in of itself. I can't imagine there being no way to just alter the controls to fit a more standardized style with the Switch. I could be forgetting something, though.
There are some boss fights that force you to stay locked onto your target. This is most notable against Aquarosa, where you had to look at your GamePad to aim your lasers at the weak spots more accurately.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Nintendo has put some old Star Fox 2 design-documents and illustrations on its Japanese website for the game (links here). I'm just giving it a mention because one of the inclusions happens to be this production-image of the Star Wolf Team;

Oddly, even down to the outfits, this bears a much closer resemblance to Star Fox 64 than it does to Star Fox 2 (especially since Andrew, with that name, is present, instead of Star Fox 2's Algy).

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Nintendo has put some old Star Fox 2 design-documents and illustrations on its Japanese website for the game (links here). I'm just giving it a mention because one of the inclusions happens to be this production-image of the Star Wolf Team;

Oddly, even down to the outfits, this bears a much closer resemblance to Star Fox 64 than it does to Star Fox 2 (especially since Andrew, with that name, is present, instead of Star Fox 2's Algy).
That's actually pretty interesting concept art. Find it odd that Wolf, Pigma, and Andrew all seem to have those mechanical-looking legs, whereas Leon doesn't. Also pretty odd that none of them seem to have necks.

Still pretty cool. Gonna add this to the front page.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Find it odd that Wolf, Pigma, and Andrew all seem to have those mechanical-looking legs, whereas Leon doesn't.
Those were always supposed to simply be cool-looking boots, anyway, so I guess that they didn't want to give them to Leon, for whatever reason (it does make him stand out, here, since he's the only member of the team who isn't a mammal). :laugh:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Been thinking on it and I'm pretty sure Wolf is more likely to come back in a updated port of Wii U. However, there is also the possibility that he might stand a better chance in a brand new game due to Sakurai's weird way of thinking.

What do you guys think?

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Been thinking on it and I'm pretty sure Wolf is more likely to come back in a updated port of Wii U. However, there is also the possibility that he might stand a better chance in a brand new game due to Sakurai's weird way of thinking.

What do you guys think?
I'd give Wolf a 50% chance of returning, regardless of if Smash Switch is a port of a new installment. 50% may seem small for some people, but that's the highest score I'll give to a potential character. The only characters I'd consider putting higher than 50% would be Inkling, Decidueye, and maybe Spring Man.

Wolf has a lot going for him. He's easy to port and polish up from Brawl, Miyamoto confirmed that the Star Fox franchise isn't dead, and I'm confident that Wolf did well in the ballot. That said, he had all of that, along with a new Star Fox game coming out around the time of DLC, and he still got passed up.

If I had to guess, he'll probably be considered for the roster when game development starts. From that point on though, it's just a coin flip if he ends up being cut out due to low priority or not.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed

What do you guys think?
I personally think that Sakurai might not be involved at all. Reason being, Sakurai has hinted about his next project bearing some relation to realistic weapons, by sharing information about a model-kit that he purchased with the intent of studying the realistic rifle that came with it, and given Sakurai's apparent history of working on other projects in between the Smash installments that he's been asked and contracted to return to work on, I just get this feeling that he isn't working on the next one, for some reason.

Beyond that, we also know from Bandai-Namco's "Smash 6" job-listing (bearing in mind that Smash 3DS is "Smash 4" and Smash Wii U is "Smash 5", according to this interview) that they began working on something three years and five months ago (a similar amount of time to that known to have been spent on Super Mario Odyssey and claimed to have been spent on Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle, and more time than the two years that it took to make Splatoon 2 from the ground up).

The times that "Smash 6" appears to have been being worked on all appear to line up with times when Sakurai was working on other projects, or was on an extended break. When it began, Sakurai was working on Smash 3DS/Wii U, and once he'd said that that project had wrapped, he ceased all development and journalism work and went on an extended break (during which time, it appeared that someone else stepped in and produced a couple more patches for Smash 3DS/Wii U, to fix some lingering problems left by the "final" 1.1.4, as he wouldn't have been available to do so due to the aforementioned break). It was after he returned from his extended break, in late December of 2016, that he shared the above information about what he was studying for his next project. Now, obviously, we have no way of knowing any more than what the information available shows, but there's also the aforementioned history of Sakurai working on other projects in between Smash installments - and, of course, there's also the fact that no series keeps the same staff forever, especially not once they've left the company and have to be brought in as an independent contractor to collaborate on future work (not to mention that it was Satoru Iwata, who was a friend of Sakurai's from the days that they worked at HAL together, who apparently always convinced him to return...).

It's worth pointing out that the "Smash 6" listing stated that they had a staff of 120 at the time, and that they wanted to hire around 80 more to work on stages, animation, characters, modes, mini-games, menus, and various other tasks*. Believe it or not, the requirement for people to work on menus is potentially noteworthy because this is something handled by Mrs. Sakurai in all projects that Sora, Ltd. (a company consisting only of Mr. & Mrs. Sakurai) is contracted for. Hiring someone else to do them would possibly suggest no involvement from Sora, Ltd..

*As an aside, I've believed since close to their release that Smash 3DS/Wii U were partly a field-test for a scalable engine for the inevitable then-upcoming hybrid console (since they share an engine that can scale across wildly differing architectures), as the market has long made it clear that portable devices rule the roost. Accordingly, I also suspect that "Smash 6" would be re-using the engine and assets in order to make a new game, but I don't believe that it would be a no-frills port of the content-light Smash Wii U, which was never the primary product.

Of course, it almost goes without saying that it doesn't take a first-party-contracted team of 200 people more than three years to make a no-frills port of the less-content-heavy game of the previous pair, and the timespan where people will tolerate no-frills ports on a new console has arguably already passed for the Switch (though some may mention Pokken Tournament DX here, it's worth pointing out that that game was obviously designed to always have a home version that mirrors the arcade one, as it's used in official events in a world where most people do not have access to arcades or other entertainment venues that might carry the arcade version). Little indie outfits, some with as few as two employees, have been showing that they can get early porting work to the Switch done within a matter of hours to a matter of days, with a fairly quick path to release after that, after all. However, this particular point is a bit outside of the matter of my belief that Sora, Ltd. may not be involved with the next game (though I did write a more-detailed post about that over in the K. Rool support-thread a while ago).

Anyway, yeah, that's what I think. ;)

Last edited:

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
I personally think that Sakurai might not be involved at all. Reason being, Sakurai has hinted about his next project bearing some relation to realistic weapons, by sharing information about a model-kit that he purchased with the intent of studying the realistic rifle that came with it, and given Sakurai's apparent history of working on other projects in between the Smash installments that he's been asked and contracted to return to work on, I just get this feeling that he isn't working on the next one, for some reason.
Buying a robot model kit for the intent of studying the rifle is news to me. He's either working on a new shooter IP, or using it as a reference for a pre-existing one. I'm thinking Custom Robo, Advance Wars, or maybe Star Fox.

Custom Robo due to him actually buying a robot model, and is using the the rifle as a basis for weapon design. Could be Advance Wars or Star Fox if he's actually only looking at the rifle, and is using that as a design influence.

I would kill for a new Custom Robo, though.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Buying a robot model kit for the intent of studying the rifle is news to me. He's either working on a new shooter IP, or using it as a reference for a pre-existing one. I'm thinking Custom Robo, Advance Wars, or maybe Star Fox.

Custom Robo due to him actually buying a robot model, and is using the the rifle as a basis for weapon design. Could be Advance Wars or Star Fox if he's actually only looking at the rifle, and is using that as a design influence.

I would kill for a new Custom Robo, though.
It's worth noting that Sakurai openly stated, at the time of Kid Icarus Uprising being announced, that he had considered making a Star Fox title before settling on reviving the Kid Icarus franchise, instead;

Did you think of any other Nintendo characters besides Pit when you’re thinking about who you would like to make a game of?

Yes, there actually was one other and that was Star Fox. But the problem with Star Fox was that—and you’ll see this when you see the trailer for Kid Icarus––is that the game design incorporates a lot of different views. For example, flying and shooting sideways or turning around and shooting behind and I felt that there were some restrictions with Star Fox in this regard. With Pit, there is a certain amount of flexibility that is allowed and makes a better fit for this gameplay.
This interview is why it's sometimes said that Kid Icarus Uprising started out as a Star Fox game, as it suggests that that was considered first.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom