• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Sargasso Hideout - Wolf O'Donnell Support Thread

What voice do you prefer for Wolf?

• American (Star Fox: Assault & Smash Bros. Brawl)

Votes: 92 73.6%
  • British (Star Fox 64 & Star Fox Zero)

Votes: 33 26.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Morbi

Scavenger
Have this sinking feeling Wolf will be left out again.
The closest precedent we have is Mewtwo. He was cut from Brawl and almost did not return in Smash 4, or so they would have you believe. They just wanted extra DLC sales. So, if history repeats itself, you might actually be correct. He probably will be left out again, at first. But then everyone will start clamoring for him back and Nintendo gets to release a "fan-favorite" character and profit off of it.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
He was the lowest priority in Brawl and not even added into Smash 4 as DLC. His chances for the base game shouldn't be rated too highly. Stay grounded, fellas.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Well, look at what we have here. SourceGaming's most recent New Content Approaching article is focusing around Wolf to celebrate his original reveal on the Smash Bros. Dojo! An article that I definitely had no idea was coming in anyway. Highly suggest you give it a read, as well as SourceGaming's other stuff.

Article link here - New Content Approaching: Wolf O'Donnell

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman
I'm suprised he was left out; I thought his Inclusion would be assured; due to him basically being the star fox character who's not only a Popular Antagonist, But Also Gameplay-wise he's inbetween Fox & Falco; being the Median between the 2 Pilots!!

D

Deleted member

SOMEONE ACTUALLY MADE A FULL-ON WOLF MOD FOR SMASH 4.

THIS IS NOT AN APRIL FOOLS JOKE, THIS IS NOT A DRILL.

More info on the video's description.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303

Mother of God... someone actually managed to do it. This is actually pretty well done, too.

Logo12

Smash Lord
Somewhere without a Smash community. Send hlep

Omfg someone finally finished that thing

Hasn't this started since like the very beginning of Sm4sh modding though

The moves still feel very slow (but that's probably because I played too much Brawl minus), but other than the fact that side-B still makes him helpless, I have no complaints.

Now if only my Wii U is actually working again///

Xibit.A

Smash Rookie
Count me in, guys. I really want Wolf back and was very sad he didn't make a return in Smash 4. #FreeWolf

Also, check out these shirts. With the hype cycle for Smash 5 ramping up, this is the time to buy:
https://spif.space/shop/save-wolf

Disclaimer: I'm not an employee of these people, just a fan.

Garo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Garomasta
3DS FC
3308-4572-3157
What kind of changes would you want to see in Wolf's moveset?

What appealed to me in Wolf's Brawl incarnation was the ferality. Despite being an anthropomorphic animal he also acted like a real wolf, howling and growling in his taunts and using his claws for many moves. I'd like them to go almost all in with this feral aspect and add even more moves where he uses his claws. U-tilt, d-tilt, u-smash, b-air and Fire Wolf could all be made to use his claws instead of feet. For n-air he could do a single flip with his claws stretched out instead of curling into a ball. Completely forgoing the use of kicking attacks could further distance him from Fox on a visual level, similar to what happened with Falco by having him make use of his beak and wings.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993

What appealed to me in Wolf's Brawl incarnation was the ferality. Despite being an anthropomorphic animal he also acted like a real wolf, howling and growling in his taunts and using his claws for many moves. I'd like them to go almost all in with this feral aspect and add even more moves where he uses his claws. U-tilt, d-tilt, u-smash, b-air and Fire Wolf could all be made to use his claws instead of feet. For n-air he could do a single flip with his claws stretched out instead of curling into a ball. Completely forgoing the use of kicking attacks could further distance him from Fox on a visual level, similar to what happened with Falco by having him make use of his beak and wings.
More claw attacks, different specials mainly ones that make use of his jetpack, dual blasters, and lightning tornado. I've also always had it in my head he can shoot lasers out his bad eye. That's the Wolf moveset I'm looking for

Last edited:

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
I'm quite a fan of how feral Wolf is, and I'm already quite fond of his current moveset, but there's definitely some that could use improvement.

First off, I think the Project M variations of his Up Smash and Dash Attack are leagues above their Brawl variations.
Up Smash

-
Dash Attack

Another move I'd love to see changes would be Wolf's Neutral Air. Current theory it's recycled from Sonic's animations, which is even more reason to give him a proper Neutral Air. Don't want him to spin like Falco, or have a sex kick like Fox, though. Honestly, a character like Wolverine from Marvel vs Capcom may have some aerials that could be used as a reference point.

Otherwise, some more polished animations would be great.

Logo12

Smash Lord
Somewhere without a Smash community. Send hlep
I'm quite a fan of how feral Wolf is, and I'm already quite fond of his current moveset, but there's definitely some that could use improvement.

First off, I think the Project M variations of his Up Smash and Dash Attack are leagues above their Brawl variations.
Up Smash

-
Dash Attack

Another move I'd love to see changes would be Wolf's Neutral Air. Current theory it's recycled from Sonic's animations, which is even more reason to give him a proper Neutral Air. Don't want him to spin like Falco, or have a sex kick like Fox, though. Honestly, a character like Wolverine from Marvel vs Capcom may have some aerials that could be used as a reference point.

Otherwise, some more polished animations would be great.
If we're really going with that "no recycled animation" route tho... isn't Wolf's Brawl UpSmash more unique than the PM one?

I myself am fine with either the Brawl or PM variation (mainly because I play Brawl Minus much more often than other mods, once again), and honestly other than some more original animations, the normal attacks are probably fine as it is. The main focus here would be to deal with those "clone movesets", to somewhat further differentiate from Fox and Falco.

Though at the same time I'm also a bit conflicted; I'm too used to the current specials to want to see any of them go. All of them (except maybe Reflector) has some very useful/interesting properties that I mostly rely on. Except Final Smash. There's no reason that that thing should stay.

BIG NEWS ABOUT WOLF RETURNING:

As it turns out, the ballot results might be used for Smash 5 to determine some of the roster. There's no way Wolf didn't rank high in terms of votes. Make of this as you will.

Source:
https://mynintendonews.com/2018/04/...be-used-for-reference-for-future-smash-games/
I'm not quite sure how this is news; I thought this was known literally 4 years ago?

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Already shared this in another thread, but figured I'd share it here too. Made a heartwarming little discovery.

I made these with my grandmother when I was about 8 or 9, over a decade ago. Just came across them today in a plastic bag. Four Arwings and three Wolfens, just like in Star Fox Assault. I feel so much nostalgia, right now, but it's bittersweet given Star Fox's uncertain future.

Really strengthens my love for the Star Fox series, and **** I hope the series make a huge comeback one day.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Already shared this in another thread, but figured I'd share it here too. Made a heartwarming little discovery.

I made these with my grandmother when I was about 8 or 9, over a decade ago. Just came across them today in a plastic bag. Four Arwings and three Wolfens, just like in Star Fox Assault. I feel so much nostalgia, right now, but it's bittersweet given Star Fox's uncertain future.

Really strengthens my love for the Star Fox series, and **** I hope the series make a huge comeback one day.
Your grandma is cool af

Xibit.A

Smash Rookie
Man, I really want a new Star Fox game. My only real experience with the franchise was Star Fox Zero, which I thought was kind of mediocre. I feel like if Wolf is revealed for Smash 5 and there is a ton of hype and buzz, Sakurai will feel better about adding more Star Fox characters, like Krystal, and eventually we may get a new game.

Chase_Doggie

Smash Rookie
I wouldn't really say Star Fox's future is uncertain. If it was, why would Nintendo put Star Fox 2 on the SNES Classic? Plus, Nintendo has gone on record to say that they aren't done with Star Fox just yet.

Last edited:
Oh god, YES. I remember being crushed when Wolf was removed in SSB4, and then being crushed again when he didn't make it as DLC. If he comes back, all I really want is for Wolf Flash to not leave him helpless (since now Fox and Falco's Side Bs don't leave them helpless), and some more polished animations. Add me to the list of supporters.

PizzaShrek64

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4571-3140-4799
I really wish they added Wolf back into smash 4. I mean they added Dr. Mario back, but not Wolf. Not hating on Dr. Mario, but Wolf was more deserving to be in in my opinion.

Morbi

Scavenger
Ew, I just noticed the poll and learned that 3 out of 4 people prefer hillbilly brawler Wolf to the suave and sophisticated Wolf? This is why I do not even mind if he does not come back, fam. We do not deserve Wolf.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
hillbilly brawler
Hillbilly? It's just an American accent with a slight southern vibe to it. It's no-where near the traditional 'hillbilly' voice. His voice in Assault, though, was clear American with no southern vibe.

Unless your idea of 'hillbilly' is just southern or American in general. In which case, that's one hell of a stereotype.

Morbi

Scavenger
Hillbilly? It's just an American accent with a slight southern vibe to it. It's no-where near the traditional 'hillbilly' voice. His voice in Assault, though, was clear American with no southern vibe.

Unless your idea of 'hillbilly' is just southern or American in general. In which case, that's one hell of a stereotype.
Nah, I was incorporating the voice into the design they chose and my statement only pertains to Wolf. I am just talking about what we got in Brawl. He was all feral and mangy, so the adjective felt fitting.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I'd be shocked if wolf isn't included, Zero came out at like the perfect time for him to be included in the games planning stages and star fox only has 2 reps now, doesn't make sense to keep it that way since another game has come out

Also, british wolf is better, those are the facts

Last edited:

JV_Nerdson

Smash Cadet
While I wasn't a big user of him, I was fairly disappointed to see him removed in the recent games. Given that most franchises in the series tend to either increase their numbers or at the very least keep the same amount in, it was very disheartening to see the series representation reduced back to 2 again. Given his popularity and the release of zero however I can't imagine the next title not including him and with any luck a few more characters from the StarFox team will be added to the roster. Hopefully it wont be too long till some more character trailers or gameplay are shown off soon.

AuraWielder

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AuraWielder
3DS FC
2363-6821-1127
Count me in the supporters list. Really a shame he got cut, although I do understand the circumstances. They suck, but things happen. Hopefully he'll be around for Smash Switch.

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
I think the reason why Wolf was deemed as low priority in Smash 4's development was that outside of the SF64 remake, Star Fox didn't do anything between 2007-2012, the main window that Sakurai was looking at for representation in Smash 4. That, coupled with the fact that he was already a last-minute semi-clone addition to Brawl and the second moveset derived from Fox. However, given that SF had a new game released the year that Sakurai likely finished the project plan for this game and that he seems to be a popular request, I believe he's likely to return. I'm slightly biased as he was one of my Brawl secondaries and one of my favorite SF characters overall, but I'm optimistic.

Last edited:

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
Wolf is more unique of a character than the majority of the clones in smash 4
I can’t he didn’t make it
I think adding him and slippy would make that Star Fox representation perfect

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Wolf is more unique of a character than the majority of the clones in smash 4
I can’t he didn’t make it
I think adding him and slippy would make that Star Fox representation perfect
idk about slippy, there's pretty much no moveset potential there and this isn't smash 64 where they were fine just making stuff up. If only Krystal were in Zero, she'd make the perfect fourth SF character.

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
idk about slippy, there's pretty much no moveset potential there and this isn't smash 64 where they were fine just making stuff up. If only Krystal were in Zero, she'd make the perfect fourth SF character.
He’s more iconic, he can use gadgets being the mechanic of the Star Fox games, and he’s been a part of the core Star Fox team in every game. People really sleep on his importance to the series.
I’ve always been meh on Krystal, 10 years later we have better options for a staff user than her.
I’d honestly rather see one of the female characters from Star Fox 2

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
He’s more iconic, he can use gadgets being the mechanic of the Star Fox games, and he’s been a part of the core Star Fox team in every game. People really sleep on his importance to the series.
I’ve always been meh on Krystal, 10 years later we have better options for a staff user than her.
I’d honestly rather see one of the female characters from Star Fox 2
Peppy is iconic too tho, why slippy over him? I mean I feel like Slippy would work best as a trash tier joke character tbh lmao

Last edited:

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
Peppy is iconic too tho, why slippy over him?
He’s old/retired and he plays more of a support role, I wouldn’t hate his inclusion either I just think slippy makes more sense.
That way you’d have the core Star Fox team and their rival. Unless they want to make andross playable somehow

D

Deleted member

Not a huge Star Fox fan but I'd prefer Andross if we got a 4th rep. He brings more to the table imo.
I'd be fine with Slippy too. Just... no Krystal, thank you very much.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Not a huge Star Fox fan but I'd prefer Andross if we got a 4th rep. He brings more to the table imo.
I'd be fine with Slippy too. Just... no Krystal, thank you very much.
I think Krystal offers more due to her staff and it's magic attacks, what's wrong with krystal?

D

Deleted member

I think Krystal offers more due to her staff and it's magic attacks, what's wrong with krystal?
I can't put my finger on it, but something about her just rubs me the wrong way.
More power to you if you want her though.

Last edited by a moderator:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I can't put my fingure on it, but something about her just rubs me the wrong way.
More power to you if you want her though.
Yeah I get that a lot, people just seem to hate her for no reason, or if they do have one it's always the flimsiest reason.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yeah I get that a lot, people just seem to hate her for no reason, or if they do have one it's always the flimsiest reason.
If you're gonna be confrontational, I could end up having a pretty good reason to be against Krystal's inclusion in Smash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom