• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Royal Archives: Dedede Video and Critique Thread

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
You still can't OD it on against MK.

If they figure out when you're going to use it and Powershield it, you are going for a ride whether you spaced it perfectly or not.

allshort17

Smash Ace
It's not that good of a spacing tool. He can just nado right through it and he'll probably be at the spacing where you can't react with a move and possibly get hit. And like others are saying, he can powershield to dash grab. It's a good move to punish lag and other mistakes, but it's not to be used as a spacing tool. I think the only move you can try to space is grab/pivot grab.

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
Why would you ever over commit to something ?

And.. Nado/ F-Tilt both hit on frame 12 if I recall.
Though, I don't use it as a spacing tool 100% of the time.

I use it as a mix up from time to time.

allshort17

Smash Ace
What did I say to over-commit to? I may be doing it and I don't even know.

And there are some MU's where it's better to throw out more moves. Wario comes to mind.

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
Over Do/ Over commit mean the same thing in my head. Haha, sorry about that.
In my opinion, I play an Awkward D3. A very awkward once.

BadKarma

Smash Journeyman
Can I get my ddd critiqued please. I'm pretty sure I was fishing waaayyy to hard for grabs and wasnt patient enough.... Any advice would be great.

http://www.twitch.tv/marthshadow/b/324038297

my match starts at 40 mins. (couldn't figure out how to make a link to make it go straight to my match)

D

Deleted member 189823

That is a very good DDD. Makes me want to pick the character up.

Sorry, I can't really critique that because I dont know. Maybe you should use U-Tilt for kills. It kills much early (at like 100%).

BadKarma

Smash Journeyman
Right. Thought it might be interesting to get some comments or something.

http://no.twitch.tv/crimsonchild/b/323208067

Penguin is 3:54:00 - 4:14:00

The recording is rather crude. Should have taken replays myself. Well, whats done is done.
Great DDD, I actually learned alot from watching your matches :D, I love the way you use his whole moveset effectively.

The only things I noticed was with the match with snake when he was at 200 you could have Dthrow to down tilt and killed him.

Le vieux lapin

Smash Ace
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaXYE7jgSbI

Here is me playing Ally's Kirby in tournament if anyone wants to critique that.
Be careful about when you throw waddles on the ground (especially so close to the opponent). The lag on that move is killer and he punished it more than once. Also avoid using the d-throw on Kirby... it won't work out the way you want it to. Just pummel b-throw and get in some damage. Last, work on your grab timing and get used to your grab range. He out-grabbed you several times... and your own grab range is much longer than his was.

Otherwise you did good mixing up your falls with b-air and inhale (you caught him with inhale several times). You did get predictable and he punished you on that. Mix up your game.

Now... it is hard to criticize you... since that is almost exactly how I play too:awesome:

Xubble

Smash Ace
I noticed a couple things.

DEFINITELY not enough bair. It is our best move (besides dthrow), and you really shouldn't be saving it just as an unstaled kill move. It's got enough kick (lulz) to kill if you set up an edgeguard even if you've been using it. Just make sure you're using other moves and such.

Jab > grab. Wow, I saw a LOT of that. And a LOT of times you were punished for it. Our jab is bad. Like, really bad. If you're gonna use jab > grab, at least chain it from nair at low percents. It'll land you with some good damage, especially against Snake since our nair beats his usmash. But overall, less jab in your play will help you.

I respect you for dthrow > bthrow, but you'll definitely be putting Snake in a worse position if you learn to dthrow him all the way off the edge. He's put in a very bad place, and our edgeguarding is where we really shine in that MU. Dash grabs are the only way to regrab Snake before he can pull out a grenade, so take mind of that.

Know when to tilt. Sometimes you threw out a tilt when the spacing wasn't right at all or when the opponent wasn't even close. You know how to utilt, so you should be saving that as your primary kill move.

You used fair a lot for approaching. Substitute that for bair. Fair is better used as a punish for airdodges or whiffed aerials. Also, you should learn how to autocancel those aerials. Suffering through fair/dair landing lag isn't fun at all, especially when the opponent is there to fully punish.

When you go to edgeguard Olimar when he's above you, why do you only jump once? He's too high to get hit by that bair, aim higher!

Rolling away after shielding when the opponent is very susceptible to getting shieldgrabbed isn't really acceptable. You're turning down free damage just to put yourself in the least admirable position D3 really wants to be in. Less rolls, more shieldgrabs. And it doesn't hurt to spotdodge if you really need to avoid damage. Our spotdodge IS broken.

I keep watching the Olimar video. WAAAAAAAY too much jab. Our ground game should consist of ftilt, dtilt, and grabs. Jab is slow, it's punishable, and it's just plain bad. Open yourself up to more moves. A lot of good moves aren't even being utilized.

Overall, I say you have potential. I see it, but I'm not seeing it utilized. You should practice approaching with bair, spacing with tilts, and toning down the damn jabs. Edgeguarding should also be worked on, it's all we have against some MUs.

D

Deleted member 189823

The D-Throw > B-Throws were intentional. :,( I want to learn how to D-Throw > D-Tilt, but as far as I've seen, it seems rather situational (I think you have to grab your opponent at a certain spot so they can land in the right spot at the edge for you to land the D-Tilt), otherwise it doesn't reach. It's defenitely a reliable KO move in this MU.
About my fail Jab shenanigans...I'll defenitely stop those. I wanted to try something more variating and flashy, but I'll go with what works best. Thanks.

Any advice on how to land the U-Tilt easier for the kill?

allshort17

Smash Ace
The D-Throw > B-Throws were intentional. :,( I want to learn how to D-Throw > D-Tilt, but as far as I've seen, it seems rather situational (I think you have to grab your opponent at a certain spot so they can land in the right spot at the edge for you to land the D-Tilt), otherwise it doesn't reach. It's defenitely a reliable KO move in this MU.
About my fail Jab shenanigans...I'll defenitely stop those. I wanted to try something more variating and flashy, but I'll go with what works best. Thanks.

Any advice on how to land the U-Tilt easier for the kill?
D-throw>D-Tilt isn't that situational. At least against Snake, I'm pretty sure it works everywhere on the stage (perhaps not on the very tip of the ledge). I said anywhere, so you can even do it on platforms to tack on extra damage. I personally don't like using it against Snake at higher %'s because it sends him at an angle that if he survives, it's very difficult to gimp his recovery. At lower %'s, it set-ups up for good bair gimps and other edgeguarding shenanigans. Dthrow at the ledge to end a CG is usually safer though.

I also personally think jab is underused. It's a very interesting edgeguarding option if you hold it because it will beat recoveries that go past the ledge, it also can beat some ledge attacks and normal ledge get-ups if at the correct spacing. It deceptively fast too. So, if you do it far enough away and have enough time it's turns into a better spacing tool than dair with more reward (situational though). It punishes people rolling in/running in/ jumping at midrange, can shield pressure at times, beats spotdodges, and isn't a bad anti-air. Keep in mind, I'm a REALLY gimmicky player. It's still really situational and bad to use too much.

How to get more Uptilt? Bait spotdodges at close range, rolls forward at mid-range, and airdodges when they are landing. Bait someone to jump over you (ftilt can do with well). It requires a good bit of conditioning to use properly and in my option, the set-ups are kinda specific. You can PM on exactly what do to in order to condition into the situations you want. Also, I haven't watched the videos yet. I'll do it later.

Xubble

Smash Ace
I like to give my opponent little breathing room on the side of the stage. Eventually they'll want to get past me and get back to the center of the stage (or they'll try to throw you offstage, so spacing is key!). They usually roll (utilt), short hop air dodge (utilt), attack by ground (shield, then either utilt or grab depending on positioning), or attack by air (utilt!). Utilt has some invincibility frames on startup, so you can pull off a kill when your opponent is trying to attack from above if you get the timing right.

Like I said, learn to edgeguard efficiently and utilize utilt. You'll find yourself becoming a KO machine.

D

Deleted member 189823

Yeah I want to become a killing machine with DDD. I love that U-Tilt...when it lands.

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
Swei, another thing you can do is watch their short hop jump patterns if they have any.
If you can learn the pattern. You can run in -> Spot dodge.
Any aerial they do will miss and you can U-Tilt or Grab. Depending on their damage.
Or if they retreat the aerial, F-Tilt to punish!

But, that's what I usually do.
Learn their jump patterns and go in with a spot dodge or Hyphen Usmash.
Whichever I'm feeling.

Bobwithlobsters

Smash Journeyman
Swei, another thing you can do is watch their short hop jump patterns if they have any.
If you can learn the pattern. You can run in -> Spot dodge.
Any aerial they do will miss and you can U-Tilt or Grab. Depending on their damage.
Or if they retreat the aerial, F-Tilt to punish!

But, that's what I usually do.
Learn their jump patterns and go in with a spot dodge or Hyphen Usmash.
Whichever I'm feeling.
Hyphen usmash? How does that work with ddd? Isn't that the thing that squirtle does to slide his usmash half way across fd?

:phone:

Hoejja

Smash Apprentice
oh, so that's a hyphen usmash... i thought it was some kind of dacus... it's very useful tho

Top Bottom