• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Royal Archives: Dedede Video and Critique Thread

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
Hello fellow penguins!

Our old thread has become somewhat outdated, so to remedy that, I present to you The Royal Archives! This thread will be for videos of all sorts and are not limited to tourney matches. This thread will also serve as a way to post videos and get them critiqued if you would like! When posting videos, please mention whether it was a Tournament match, a Money Match, or a Friendly. Money Matches will be highlighted red and Friendlies blue This post will have two categories, Tournament, and Non-Tournament, and from there, will list videos by player.

Format:

Bzzy:

Vs. Zanna (Snake) 1

Also as a note, please try to keep videos AT LEAST from 2010 onward, though more recent is preferred. If the above format is not to everyone's liking, feel free to comment on how you would prefer.

If I add a video of your's and you don't want it up, please inform me and I'll remove it.

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
Tournament

Tech_Chase:

Rizkin' 2, 10/29/11
Vs. Wuvs (Yoshi): Set
Vs. Tutu (Shiek): Set

Phoenix Saga, 12/10/11
Vs. SK (Snake): Set

Coney:

School is in Session 6, 9/24-9/25/11
Vs Logic (Olimar): Set

Griever:

Eifel Smash, 10/29/11
Vs Darky (Falco): 1 2 3

3/7/12
Vs. GoldenIke: Bo11

Skelerex:

WakuWakuSmash, 7/23/2011
Vs Leon (Marth): Set
Vs Deimos (Falco): Set
Vs Deimos (MK): Set

Seibrik:

NLL, 10/29/11
Vs GDX (Diddy) 1
Vs GDX (Diddy) Set

B.I.G.:

The Last Gamestore Monthly 8, 10/22/11
Vs Croi (Wario/Lucas) Set

Non-Tournament​

Skelerex:

Vs. Bludolouis (Ike): 3 matches
Vs. Zudenka (Yoshi): 3 matches

Bzzy:

Vs. 2Fast (Snake): 1 2
Vs. Zanna (Snake): 1

Dean:

11/27/11
Vs. Jei (Pit): 1 2 3

Birdman:

12/27/11
Vs. Chef Fox (Fox)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ABkqV-Nelk

Wi-Fi

apasher17:

Vs. Sin (Marth)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ada_wQEECUE

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Game 2 was so dumb lmao. I love how the stage just completely ****-blocked his Egg Roll recovery first stock. I still dont know why he took me to Siege...lmao. He said he had no idea where to take me but still.

EDIT: Oh Yars, I may just edit the OP from time to time to put my own vids in since I can. Just giving you a heads up.

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
Alrighty, as long as you keep to the same format, it's all good.

Also, tell that Yoshi that Brinstar is a good stage to take Dedede to. Lylat's also a good stage.

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
Haven't really been able to thoroughly watch them all yet, but some things I'd like to point out:

-Don't use Dair into the stage. If you're on stage, either full hop, or do it right after two short hops.
-Dair is not a move you use to punish with on the ground. Against non-CG characters, good punishes are Bthrow, Fthrow, Inhale, and Bair. U-tilt and Dsmash if they're in kill percentage.
-Use inhale more, it's a great move (Especially for punishes) Don't just spam it though, use in situations where it applies (like when Falco was spamming side step)

Also, if you could tell me when that tournament happened, it'd be greatly appreciated.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
You got me when I went MK though lmao. My pocket Wario is better ....but I didnt feel good about him so I figure I'd go gay...and karma got me lol. And then MY D3 came out....lmao.

Oh I'll do critiques later for those who want me to. Oh I already had a request...didnt see it. I'll be at an anime-convention so I may not have a lot of time to get to these immediately.

Anyone who wants me to go over their vids just say so in your post. Otherwise being busy I might not get to it. If you ask though I'll try to make some time for you :)

DellSmashman

Smash Cadet
In tournament, there are my videos of the WWS :

Skelerex ( DDD ) vs Leon ( Marth )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHk6crAG3JM

Skelerex ( DDD ) vs Deimos ( Falco)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_udWI...el_video_title

Skelerex ( DDD ) vs Deimos ( MK )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xKs6...feature=relmfu

Also Yars, your youtube URL of my matches vs Blubolouis is wrong but thx man
Skelerex:
Vs Falco:
Instead of going for specific things, I'm just going to post a time, and what I'm thinking at the time.
Tell me if you would prefer the other method (summarizing the match), which I probably would end up doing both anyways, lol.

Overall, you had some nice reads going there. The problem is, not knowing your options to certain things that he's gotten away with. At the start of the match, or if you're at low percents, focus on your spacing options a bit more to avoid the grab. Also, avoid the rolling/sidestepping habits. If he chose to, he could've punished those quite well, which he did for some.

0:41
Don't whiff Swallow. If he chose to, he could've punished this somewhat hard (with a dash to Usmash).

0:48
Dairing Falco's Phantasm doesn't really work. Best options are to just predict it and punish where ever he lands with it with a shield grab, Utilt, and Dtilt (Both to beat his Side B). Waddle Dee/Doo toss is also a nice way of punishing his recovery, so make use of that as well.

1:11
You don't have to always immediately jump back on stage after you've been sent offstage. That's just asking to get read. Utilize your patience a bit more.

For like, most of the match
Work on your reaction time. There were a lot of useful punishes that you missed out on because you were a few frames late, in which he abused them (such as him spotdodging your grab attempts).

The range that you want to stay on for the most part of this matchup is at DDD's Ftilt range, which would be your main spacing option. You don't want to play so aggro. You should play a reacting game, in which you notice his patterns and options as you try to get past his laser camping. Don't be grab happy and don't spotdodge so much or play the spotdodge+grab game with Falco (you were better off do with the full hop Dair OoS). Falco moreso than many other characters, thrives at punishing dodges.

Overall, your DDD is interesting, and matchup is tough. Give me like a couple hours for the MK critique, something just came up.

EDIT: Somehow it showed the GF1 of that actual tournament I believe. This critique was for that match. Will do the other when I get the chance.

∫unk

Smash Master
TC, you say you're great at the snake matchup, critique please. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noDx0PepFzE
I watched this match

I think you need to mix up your landings better and the easiest way to do that is first focus on your landing jump count. You repeated your jump count too often.

Also I'm not sure why you're jumping around so much in general... your best move in the matchup is grab so you want to be in a position to get that whenever possible. There's plenty of ways to combat Snake on the ground but the main thing is to understand grenade timings.

Also just pick up on patterns. When you're both close to each other, what did he do? Did he get punished or not? What did he do next time if he got punished/didn't get punished? An easy example in the vid is the Snakes spotdodging anytime you were close.

Keep in mind players will show habits in moments of panic/pressure. DDD is great at setting up pressure situations, especially against characters you can chain grab. You're applying pressure just walking towards them. It seemed like you were afraid of confronting Snake but between spotdodge/rolls/b-air/shield DDD does very well in that situation as long as he isn't dashing into some kind of frame trap.

Hope that helps.

∫unk

Smash Master
vs Yoshi:
• DDD's spotdodge is broken. Use it more and you'll be able to have bigger shield -> more approaching and possible punishments.
• u-throw at mid/high percents should be followed by wait, not air chasing. imo you should look at their DI and landing option and trying to cover that. what I do is wait after grab for like half a second so the opponent can prepare themselves for d-throw then you u-throw and look at their DI... useful for later when you d-throw them ^^
• Be wary of doing the same moves in the same ranges. Maybe in this matchup it's okay.
• I think you could have punished him for spamming egg toss. f-roll/b-roll/spotdodge. Maybe not punish with an actual move but punish through gaining good positioning.

Vs Sheik:
• Practice your ff b-airs. Sheik should never get away with a charge u-smash like that. You can just slow fall then jump right outside the range (baiting the attack) then buffer ff b-air.
• Wait more often... you'll be safer, have more reads on what the opponent is doing
• Yeah number one thing for you is getting better at rolls and spotdodges.
• Don't be in a rush. Just walk forward you always dash forward.
• vs tall characters you can punish spotdodge with d-air oos
• too much f-tilt. f-tilt is only useful when they're really comfortable in that range otherwise don't use it and use other stuff

Hope that helps

∫unk

Smash Master
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkRhys708ZU

tournament match here, did well except for rainbow cruise here, i thought it would have went better, let me know where i went wrong its been helping alot
Awesome textures. I love the sound Wario makes when he jumps off the bike lol but Lucas with Ike's voice (I think it's Ike) scared me lol

I think you had too much buffering ahead of time and not enough reactive/counterattacking play. You were always trying to make things happen but just wait a second and your better positioning will make stuff happen.

Learn some mixups like if you throw out a ton of b-airs and they're working the opponent is going to try and 1) block the b-air and punish you 2) avoid b-air altogether... so next time he gets close try to grab. But then a good player might try to just bait that so you have to be careful. Just stuff like that. Right now you're just kinda playing off of what's on the display and not what's going to be happening in the future.

Really sexy buffered medium dash -> d-tilt vs lucas on the ledge of lylat. Space that better and you have a golden punish. I'm stealing this :)

Hope that helps

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
Thanks Junk

I actually talked to my friend about the matchup, and after watching the videos, I noticed I did the best when I had the confidence to punish to the best of my abilities, and that overall, I respect Snake TOO much.

I just don't want what happened on Halberd to happen to me every game. :urg:

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
First video:

I like your use of ftilt to stop arrows.

I don't like how you pretty much let yourself get hit by that ftilt on the rock stage.

Also that uptilt on the first stock could have killed Jei had you not used it so early.

On the second stock, Pit shouldn't be living to 200 percent.

At the 3:40 mark, a dtilt would have stage spiked Pit.

That's all I could think of. I don't even main this character so dunno why I'm trying to give Dedede specific advice. lawl

Apasher

King Arthur
Premium
NNID
Apasher
Alright.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ada_wQEECUE

Critique?

This is part of an AiB latter set.

I know this is wifi, but I still feel that I should still ask what to do/not to do to improve my approach/spacing, etc.

What I've seen is that I wasn't limiting my opponent's options, but I would like to know if there is more that I need to work on.

:phone:

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
Why in the world was this thread not continued? This is a great resource that should be available for all D3's! Yes, this is a deliberate bump. I was encouraged.
We do have a video critique/general video thread, it just sort of never really lifted off. A sticky would probably help in this regard though. You're welcome to bump it.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=313593

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
There are no moderators for the Dedede boards. That might explain why it's not stickied.

Also I guess no one wants their vids critiqued.

Edit: No, it seems the Dedede players don't want to help. lawl

Doc King

Smash Lord
I could see a lot of 4God being put into these. 4God seems like the only professional Dedede out there (Forgive me if I'm wrong).

Top Bottom