• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Royal Archives: Dedede Video and Critique Thread

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
Well, it helps if you try to anticipate when you're probably going to be hit. Don't react to being hit. React to being in the situation of possibly being hit. Literally no one reacts fast enough to DI properly to being hit most of the time. Most correct DI happens from anticipation of being hit.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
You spot dodge too much when you've already shielded pretty much the entire Tornado, and it removes your ability to chase and punish the 'nado's lag. I also think you use too many normal ledge get-ups when you're over 100%. You should use more ledgejumps (ledgejump dair is a pretty good option) and ledgehop AD's to get back onstage at that point. You also missed some key utilt opportunities but fished for ones that would have never worked outside of the hardest reads. You also have this bad habit of recovering really low at high %'s and upBing after only using one or two of your jumps. This actually directly caused you to lose your second stock. Ledge never abused it, but MK is really good at covering that space under the ledge with dair (any of his aerials, really) and reverse Shuttle Loop. I'm going to assume you gave up at the end of the match with the way you upB'd for no reason after expending all your jumps. :(

Nice Waddles and tilts, though, and REALLY nice Inhales, especially when you needed to cover your landings. ;)

dean.

NNID
dean7599
3DS FC
1435-4425-6023
Interesting... Thanks for your thoughts. Dunno what I was thinking with that second stock recovery, but sometimes when I up-B when I have jumps remaining it's when I've conceded that I'm more-than-likely going to get hit again so I still have some jumps left when I do.
I developed a habit of spot-dodging the end of tornado when most Meta Knights used to do the whole thing on my shield to try to avoid being poked and because I found it easier to punish out of. Ledge retreats all his which I have no idea how to punish (seriously Dedede's too slow to grab or anything... Throw a waddle? Walk up and ftilt?). Most of my utilts are just me trying to catch tornados since I suck at reacting to it so I try to predict it (yes I'm bad). I guess I should try to walk more instead of fox-trotting all the time; I dashed into so many nados.
The last stock recovery... I dunno, here in Australia just up-Bing onto the stage and hoping they get hit by it is usually a pretty reliable strategy ;) nah kidding I try to mix up recoveries but do stupid things sometimes.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Yeah, I actually figured as much when I saw you continually upB early, but I never see top DDDs do that, so I'm guessing that it's better to just try to use your jumps to recover if you can. I see why you spot-dodge the end of 'nado, but it seriously kept you from punishing a ton of 'nados that you actually could have caught up with. If you're on your toes and zip in on him as soon as he retreats, you can grab him. Waddles probably also work. Even if you don't necessarily get anything, you're in a position of pressure. I've seen some DDDs land smashes as punishment for bad 'nados. If you're afraid of being poked by 'nados that MKs finish completely on your shield, angle your shield (you seemed to be doing this already) and don't find yourself in a position where you will be easily 'nado'd, at least not when your shield is small. Yes, walking against MK is crucial. Committing to something as limiting as a run is really bad against a fast char with as many defensive and offensive options as MK. Also, you may want to learn how to consistently PS > grab Tornado. It honestly seemed like you lost to Mach Tornado and not even MK that match, which makes sense. Tornado:DDD is, like, a 6-4 MU. :urg: Every time I see top DDDs do that MU, they're constantly trying to maintain an optimal defensive distance where MK's offensive options, including 'nado', won't destroy them instantly.

Bobwithlobsters

Smash Journeyman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ptqLR46RTOA#t=3300s

Critique pls. I need new technology to fight MK.

If anyone wants to critique the Yoshi DDD at the beginning be my guest but mainly concerned over MK.
I am by no means an expert at this mu but the biggest thing I saw was you getting your landings just destroyed. This was mostly by tornado which is definitely to be expected in this mu but he was getting away with it for free most of the time. You were not mixing up your landings much first match. So many air dodges. .. You have multiple jumps and you needed to be using them better. Dair can beat shuttle loop if he gets off the ground and if you are still jumping when he starts a tornado you should be able to land safely by avoiding it.

Second you needed to be punishing tornado. Utiltb beats it cleanly if you can get the timing down. I believe it can be pivot grabbed as well. Problem was he new he could just tornado at neutral at not worry about punishment at all.

On a good note I was very impressed with your di. You were living forever.

| Big D |

Smash Master
Ya my landings got wrecked, shuttle loop beats dair if it's spaced (which this mk does) correctly but I definitely agree with using the double jumps better to bait out SL and find my way back down.

I gave up on punishing nado, I used to believe in uptilt and it used to work but then the MK learned to space his nado so if you try to uptilt it will clank every time. It is a problem I have to solve somehow. Jumping over nado is something useful, I just wish there was a consistent punish.

Hardest thing for me is killing, I just feel MK can just poke away at neutral and the kills will come naturally just due to being put in awful positions in the air or off stage while I can't seem to force MK into risky scenarios especially when the MK knows Dedede's standard kill reads.

Thanks for the feedback it is appreciated, I know what I have to work on and what to look for.

Bobwithlobsters

Smash Journeyman
I definitely saw trying up tilt a few times and I noticed they didn't work. I wasn't sure why till you explained it. That really sinks then, the last thing we needed was one less way to stop tornado...

D

Deleted member 189823

I'm aware I spaced those pretty bad...hence why I got gimped like twice. Also, the startup is twice as much as MK's D-Air (MK's slowest aerial), but I think the problem was me mis-spacing it.

Top Bottom