• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The Rosalina Q&A Thread

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
That answer to that is how you take 20 % extra knockback when charging a smash attack, and luma with insane base knockback + rage.

The question is more so as to... why can Luma dance around while Rosa is in hitstun / stunned
Luma just can, especially when Luma is near Rosalina.
Luma can't do anything when Rosalina is grabbed.

jset818

Smash Cadet
I understand that we have a Pikachu matchup thread but it's pretty empty right now. I'm having a lot of trouble in this matchup, mainly due to Pikachu's Quick Attack. The move recovers fast and he's able to combo off of them. It's almost impossible for me to punish unless I predict where he's going to land. It seems the only kill options I have are uair and Luma jab at high percentage or a lucky smash. Should I even try to gimp? Any advice?

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I understand that we have a Pikachu matchup thread but it's pretty empty right now. I'm having a lot of trouble in this matchup, mainly due to Pikachu's Quick Attack. The move recovers fast and he's able to combo off of them. It's almost impossible for me to punish unless I predict where he's going to land. It seems the only kill options I have are uair and Luma jab at high percentage or a lucky smash. Should I even try to gimp? Any advice?
We really haven't gotten anything from the Rosalina vs. Pikachu match-up, probably because it's an uncommon match-up sight.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Where does all of the metagame discussion go on in this board?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Where does all of the metagame discussion go on in this board?
Match-up discussions themselves are in the individual character threads, but it's not like things always get talked about in them. Not all fighters have been covered though, and we don't have an actual mirror match discussion thread yet.

Kaladin

Stormblessed
NNID
Toobu_me
Hey all. So, I'm thinking of picking up Rosa, cuz zoning is cool. Other than these FAQs and her frame data, what should I read first? Is there a general how to play guide? Thanks!

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694
Hey all. So, I'm thinking of picking up Rosa, cuz zoning is cool. Other than these FAQs and her frame data, what should I read first? Is there a general how to play guide? Thanks!
Watching Dabuz's video guide is a decent place to start. I'd link it, but posting on mobile at the moment.
what is the correct DI for Rosaluma's throws?
Up throw is usually going to combo regardless, but if they're throwing in down and back throws with the hope of comboing, you'll generally get away just holding away and mashing jump or airdodge.
any use for Short hop starbits?
It's not something I'm a huge fan of, but it seems like a decent retreating option, and as long as it's safe of hit, it will always be useful as a mixup. Oh and doesn't the option desync them slightly? If so, it's a good option for the most fancy Rosa players out there.

Flowen231

Smash Apprentice
Yo guys! I made a topic about this yesterday, but it was locked so I assume that I posted in the wrong place.

But anywhoo, a couple days ago I was playing with some friends, and I got luma to attack my buddy while I beat him with my wand (grab pummel).

It was a total accident, but what I want to know is why was luma attacking while I was inputting grab, and whether there's a way to repeat that consistently. Here's a video of me doing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bu6UxJ4ROx8&feature=youtu.be

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694
Yo guys! I made a topic about this yesterday, but it was locked so I assume that I posted in the wrong place.

But anywhoo, a couple days ago I was playing with some friends, and I got luma to attack my buddy while I beat him with my wand (grab pummel).

It was a total accident, but what I want to know is why was luma attacking while I was inputting grab, and whether there's a way to repeat that consistently. Here's a video of me doing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bu6UxJ4ROx8&feature=youtu.be
There's a write up on this subject somewhere on this forum ( search for luma spin ); I'd post the link, but I'm on mobile at the moment.

In short, it's possible to desynch the two characters by locking luma into its rapid jab animation. It's easy to accidentally start when inputting the jab sequence, and having only Rosalina interrupted by damage. It's an incredibly fun technique to learn in order to thoroughly style on people, so I'd recommend looking up the full write up if generally impractical and needlessly complex tech interests you.

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
Anyone got a good way to practice lunar landing?

Is there a better single player option than training mode?

Planty

Smash Ace
NNID
something
Anyone got a good way to practice lunar landing?

Is there a better single player option than training mode?
Just practice it. A lot.

An easy way to do a LL is to do a SH Dair, but input the Dair during jumpsquat. That way, the move will come out on the first possible frame and end right before hitting the ground, allowing perfect LL. You could use Uair for this, but it's not nearly as useful and more of a situationnal thing.

darkprizm47

Smash Rookie
NNID
darkprizm47
Luma just can, especially when Luma is near Rosalina.
Luma can't do anything when Rosalina is grabbed.
IDK about that. I've broken out of tons of grabs with luma. It may just be that I imputed the moves before I was grabbed but getting grabbed has never been an issue with me so far.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
IDK about that. I've broken out of tons of grabs with luma. It may just be that I imputed the moves before I was grabbed but getting grabbed has never been an issue with me so far.
Yeah, I think so...

Planty

Smash Ace
NNID
something
@ darkprizm47 darkprizm47 @ mario123007 mario123007
If you input an attack, but Rosalina gets grabbed during the startup, Luma will still attack. However if you're already grabbed, inputting an attack won't do anything unless you're held for a certain amount of time. I'm not sure what this time is. Luma mechanics are so weird...

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
@ darkprizm47 darkprizm47 @ mario123007 mario123007
If you input an attack, but Rosalina gets grabbed during the startup, Luma will still attack. However if you're already grabbed, inputting an attack won't do anything unless you're held for a certain amount of time. I'm not sure what this time is. Luma mechanics are so weird...
That's why Rosalina and Luma is hard to master.

Always remember to use Luma for surprise attacks.

truecrisis

Smash Rookie
I feel like they messed with Luma last patch. Or perhaps the Duos priority.
Rosalina has always had a slow damage output, but I was ok with this because of her priority over moves. For example, I used to be able to D-TILT Captain Falcon out of his falcon kick, but no longer can I do that. This is just one example out of many situations where I feel like shes lost a lot of power.

Perhaps my opponents have just learned to deal with her more, but I really do feel like something is off, and I'm starting to think it is that they corrected her amazing priority over other moves.

Any thoughts?

Flowen231

Smash Apprentice
There's a write up on this subject somewhere on this forum ( search for luma spin ); I'd post the link, but I'm on mobile at the moment.

In short, it's possible to desynch the two characters by locking luma into its rapid jab animation. It's easy to accidentally start when inputting the jab sequence, and having only Rosalina interrupted by damage. It's an incredibly fun technique to learn in order to thoroughly style on people, so I'd recommend looking up the full write up if generally impractical and needlessly complex tech interests you.
I read up on it on the forums, thanks for the keywords ;p. So yeah, unfortunately it's a very rare situational trick that I performed.

Flowen231

Smash Apprentice
What are Rosalina's safest and unsafest moves? Does she have any aerials that auto-cancel?
I'd say her unsafest moves are her Fair, F smash, star bits if you miss, her downB if you are too close to someone, and her upB. Her safest moves are her Dtilt, Jab1-2, Ftlt, Dsmash seems kind of safe, and her nair has very little landing lag so it's decently safe on shot hop fast fall.

As for her auto cancels, I believe that all but her Fair and Nair auto cancel from a short hop.

Last edited:

GHOST4700

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MeatloafLP794
@ Rango the Mercenary Rango the Mercenary nair, bair, Dtilt, Ftilt are incredible spacing tools with Rosalina as the moves are generally fast and have big hitboxes. Dsmash and Usmash come out incredibly fast (6 and 7 frames respectively!) nair and bair auto cancel by themselves. But all can be cancelled with little to no lag with lunar landing, except for Uair. Star bits can be used to space decently well as well as luma's jab coming out really fast (4 frames!) Other Rosalina's correct me if I'm wrong.

darkprizm47

Smash Rookie
NNID
darkprizm47
Does anyone have any good recommendations for a secondary? Every recommendation I've gotten does poorly against the match-ups I'm trying to cover (Meta Knight, ZSS, etc.) and all the match-up threads I've found conflict with each other.

LightningLuxray

Smash Apprentice
ZSS really only struggles with Sheik and Pikachu, which Meta Knight can do decently against. If those are the MUs you're trying to cover, Pikachu would probably be your best bet.

Luigi is also an option to help you beat Pikachu if need be.

Planty

Smash Ace
NNID
something
Mario does pretty good against about everyone too. His worst matchup is 60:40 vs Sheik and he's easy to pick up. Might wanna consider him.

honeclawshonedge

Smash Rookie
NNID
tom.braithwaite
As of the latest patches, how useful is Rosalina and Luma's multi-jab trap under the lip of the stage? I want to use it often but as of now just going for a regular Dair edgeguard gets me more KOs

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
It's going to be situational. Use against Characters with really good recoveries, like Sheik or Zelda. Others that can be edge guarded with dair, keep using that.

Top Bottom