• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The Rosalina Q&A Thread

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
This one wasn't in the FAQ so if it's been answered already I apologize, but...

... Say you use Gravitational Pull on a fully-charged Sheik Needle Shot. Would it pull in ALL of the needles or only pull in one and let you get hit by the rest of something?
Gravitational Pull has a duration and affects all projectiles in range for the duration. It depends on the timing of the move relative to when the needles come out, and whether or not the total duration is sufficient, but in theory at least it should pull all the needles in.

The problem is that Sheik can quickly throw out a single needle basically whenever she wants, so trying to pull those in on reaction is problematic.

HonorBasquiat

Smash Rookie
How do you approach safely with Rosalina and Luma? Also, what are her best moves to open up our opponent?

xStJimmy

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, new Rosalina player here. I've been maining her since the japanese game came out and I love her mostly cuz I'm not an expert player, and most of the time Luma does what I was trying to do with Rosie, having another character that does what I wanted to when I'm not in the spot I was supposed to be is cool, but I'm having troubles with rolls and blocks. When a rival rolls and it's close to me, i do a DSmash, and it takes a while to hit, is there any move that have less starting lag than dsmash?
I think the terminology for what i'm asking is an attack that 'pokes'

Last edited:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
All of your tilts are good pokes, although ftilt and dtilt don't hit behind you and utilt only hits directly above you. Luma has his own versions too, of course. I like using them out of shield in particular.

Nair, although not really a poke, does stay out for ages so it can catch people off guard that way.

xStJimmy

Smash Rookie
All of your tilts are good pokes, although ftilt and dtilt don't hit behind you and utilt only hits directly above you. Luma has his own versions too, of course. I like using them out of shield in particular.

[color= #0080ff]Nair, although not really a poke, does stay out for ages so it can catch people off guard that way.[/color]
[color= #0080ff]
So I have to decide between using down smash for hitting front and back or a ftilt or dtilt if I'm sure he'll come in front
Doing a nair is out of question for me at least, by the time I'm jumping i'm quite sure i've been already punished :p[/color]

Last edited:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Yeah, if you're looking to hit both sides you basically need to down smash or do something really fancy with nair. Ftilt is faster and you can hit either side with it (just tilt backwards instead of forwards) but it's not omnidirectional.

xStJimmy

Smash Rookie
Yeah, if you're looking to hit both sides you basically need to down smash or do something really fancy with nair. Ftilt is faster and you can hit either side with it (just tilt backwards instead of forwards) but it's not omnidirectional.
Great, and I was looking for an attack to poke! thanks for the advice
It'll for to know what to do after a dodge

Last edited:

Neos

Smash Cadet
So anyone know when the frame data and/or hit boxes for Rosalina and Luma's attacks will be posted?

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
How can you control Luma? I keep using Luma Shot and Luma Callback, but are there other ways to influence Luma's position on the field?
Using jab will make Luma move forward as it attacks, although this obviously leaves Rosalina vulnerable. If you use Luma Shot and stand Still, Luma will retreat to maintain a specific distance from Rosalina; mashing inputs will keep it in place and prevent it from moving. Similarly it can't stay in the air under its own power but will stay in place to use any move you input.

You can also command Luma to attack as it's returning to you, although there needs to be a fair amount of distance otherwise it'll be at your side before you finish the animation. Otherwise the same guidelines apply.

Cel

Smash Cadet
Hey, I need some help here. I am having MAJOR problems with this type of playstyle: opponents who run from one edge of the stage to the other while throwing projectiles. I am getting destroyed by them and cannot figure out what to do. Can anyone give me any tips for fighting against this?

Example: I lost to a greninja for about an hour straight and he literally did nothing but throw stars and run from one end of each stage to the other.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Hey, I need some help here. I am having MAJOR problems with this type of playstyle: opponents who run from one edge of the stage to the other while throwing projectiles. I am getting destroyed by them and cannot figure out what to do. Can anyone give me any tips for fighting against this?

Example: I lost to a greninja for about an hour straight and he literally did nothing but throw stars and run from one end of each stage to the other.
Try using Gravitational Pull. Most projectile games are rendered ineffective by that move. This in return, can force projectile spammers to have to attack you directly.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Dedede's Gordos lose to Luma Shot outright, but depending on how he makes them bounce it can be tricky to time it, otherwise Luma will just go flying underneath and you have a Gordo in your face. Gravitational Pull also works but can be unsafe at close range. He also outranges you with ftilt. He's a big target, but you need to place your attacks carefully and the match will probably go longer than usual unless he plays aggressive.

I got nothing on Sheik yet, I've faced maybe 2 online. If she charges up her needles enough it's possible for one or two to sneak past Luma and hit you. Apparently she has no grounded KO options except maybe a sweetspotted usmash so maybe start there, IDK.

Iron Kraken

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure if this question is specific to Rosalina & Luma or if it's just a general question, but I'm going to ask here anyway.

I've been watching some gameplay videos of really good RosaLuma players (like Dabuz), and one thing I notice is that the vast majority of time when they grab their opponent, they are able to get 3 solid hits in before throwing them. However, when I try to do this, my opponent is able to escape my grab (usually I can only get 1 hit in before I have to throw them). So, what is it that they're doing to keep their opponent in the grab and get 3 hits in that I'm not doing? Is it just a matter of hitting the buttons quickly, or what? Thanks for any help!

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'm not sure if this question is specific to Rosalina & Luma or if it's just a general question, but I'm going to ask here anyway.

I've been watching some gameplay videos of really good RosaLuma players (like Dabuz), and one thing I notice is that the vast majority of time when they grab their opponent, they are able to get 3 solid hits in before throwing them. However, when I try to do this, my opponent is able to escape my grab (usually I can only get 1 hit in before I have to throw them). So, what is it that they're doing to keep their opponent in the grab and get 3 hits in that I'm not doing? Is it just a matter of hitting the buttons quickly, or what? Thanks for any help!
The grabbed opponent's current damage determines how quickly he/she can break free from a grab. You can easily pull off 3 pummels before throwing a 300% damage player, but a player who has 0% damage can easily break free after taking just one pummel.

Iron Kraken

Smash Journeyman
The grabbed opponent's current damage determines how quickly he/she can break free from a grab. You can easily pull off 3 pummels before throwing a 300% damage player, but a player who has 0% damage can easily break free after taking just one pummel.
Thanks, it makes sense now. Now I'm going to have to test this out to see how many pummels I can get in at different %s.

Quick question: Does the ability of your opponent to escape the pummels at a given % also depend on which character they are using?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Thanks, it makes sense now. Now I'm going to have to test this out to see how many pummels I can get in at different %s.

Quick question: Does the ability of your opponent to escape the pummels at a given % also depend on which character they are using?
Sort of. Aerodrome did make a table on how much damage each fighter can do to 300% damage Mario with his/her pummels, before he breaks free.

http://smashboards.com/threads/372509/

Los4Muros

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Los4Muros
3DS FC
2852-9328-5396
When I have matches against Rosalina, if I OK Luma, he comes up in different colors. I've seen him in green, red and black if we don't count the common yellow colors. What does each color mean? When I see it's black I try to avoid any contact with the star. But maybe I shouldn't be so scared of what it does. So what does each color do?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
When I have matches against Rosalina, if I OK Luma, he comes up in different colors. I've seen him in green, red and black if we don't count the common yellow colors. What does each color mean? When I see it's black I try to avoid any contact with the star. But maybe I shouldn't be so scared of what it does. So what does each color do?
All Luma colors are completely aesthetic, so you don't have to worry about which color that you'll get.

GroundZero996

Smash Apprentice
What are some good strings/ combos for Rosalina? I know down throw to Fair is an ok pseudo combo, but does she have any real combos, or does she just do spacing with Luma?

Iron Kraken

Smash Journeyman
What are some good strings/ combos for Rosalina? I know down throw to Fair is an ok pseudo combo, but does she have any real combos, or does she just do spacing with Luma?
At low %s, Rosalina can combo up-throw into up-tilt. It's the only guaranteed combo I know about, but it doesn't rack up all that much damage. Down-throw to Fair works pretty well as you say, but your opponent can air dodge out of it, so if my opponent shows the ability to escape it, the next time I go for down-throw to Fair I'll usually pause ever so slightly before attacking, so that it hits just after their air dodge. At higher %s, up-throwing into u-air can be a solid option, but it's not a combo.

Last edited:

Neos

Smash Cadet
Will there be any frame data for Rosalina and Luma soon?

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Will there be any frame data for Rosalina and Luma soon?
Probably not until the Wii U version, since capturing video from a 3DS requires physically modding the system and I'm not sure any Rosalina mains have one ready to go. Once we can get high quality 60 FPS video we can start to dissect the frame data.

(How the Marth forum got all of theirs already is beyond me.)

iMeeHow

Smash Journeyman
I looked at a few threads and haven't found this. So I was watching a tournament match yesterday and one guy called Luma back to him, and Luma did contact damage to the opponent on his way back. I know pressing 'B' calls Luma back to you. but it doesn't seem to do any damage if it hits someone on the way back, am i missing something?

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I looked at a few threads and haven't found this. So I was watching a tournament match yesterday and one guy called Luma back to him, and Luma did contact damage to the opponent on his way back. I know pressing 'B' calls Luma back to you. but it doesn't seem to do any damage if it hits someone on the way back, am i missing something?
You can press buttons as Luma returns to make it attack as it moves. With the recent increase in Luma's speed as it returns, it's a bit trickier to do but still possible in general.

StarGalaxy777

Smash Apprentice
NNID
StarGalaxy
My question of the day is this, is there a Rosalina Guide that I can read or is it still to early for those?

Thanks

D

Deleted member 269706

My question of the day is this, is there a Rosalina Guide that I can read or is it still to early for those?

Thanks
Here's two of 'em...The first one is incredible, I love it. Second one is helpful, but in my opinion not near as good.
http://smashboards.com/guides/the-stellar-waltzing-duo-rosalina-luma.64/
http://smashboards.com/guides/princess-from-beyond-the-stars-using-the-rosaluma-duo.46/

I wanted to ask if anyone knows of any simple combos for a Rosalina beginner to use? The only one I know is Dthrow > Fair. Anything else anyone can help me with?

xStJimmy

Smash Rookie
Here's two of 'em...The first one is incredible, I love it. Second one is helpful, but in my opinion not near as good.
http://smashboards.com/guides/the-stellar-waltzing-duo-rosalina-luma.64/
http://smashboards.com/guides/princess-from-beyond-the-stars-using-the-rosaluma-duo.46/

I wanted to ask if anyone knows of any simple combos for a Rosalina beginner to use? The only one I know is Dthrow > Fair. Anything else anyone can help me with?
Uthrow > Utilt is a guaranteed in low percent

Yams Everywhere

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3454-1934-0304
How do you manage to keep luma alive. Nothing hurts me more than when my luma just respawned and somebody knocks it off stage with an attack.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
How do you manage to keep luma alive. Nothing hurts me more than when my luma just respawned and somebody knocks it off stage with an attack.
Very carefully.

But in all seriousness that's a major drawback to relying on Luma since it's beyond simple to kill it in nothing flat. The best you can really do is punish them for hitting Luma at all but that's sometimes tricky if it goes flying from shield pressure.

bmaster77

Smash Apprentice
NNID
bobatapioca
Hey guys so I was messing around with some grab release shenanigans tonight and I came across something very interesting:

I had Luma launched out and when I grabbed the enemy and started pummeling, luma was facing towards me and started doing its jab combo (into the spin) it did around 25%+. (pummeling alone)

It seems that my pummel somehow caused a desync and allowed my pressing A to activate luma's jab combo as well.

I have no idea how I did it, but I know im not crazy because I had a friend with me as a witness!. Unfortunately it was in training mode so i was unable to save a replay... :[

Has anyone else encountered something like this or know how to recreate the scenario?

ThunderSt0rm

Smash Champion
Hey guys so I was messing around with some grab release shenanigans tonight and I came across something very interesting:

I had Luma launched out and when I grabbed the enemy and started pummeling, luma was facing towards me and started doing its jab combo (into the spin) it did around 25%+. (pummeling alone)

It seems that my pummel somehow caused a desync and allowed my pressing A to activate luma's jab combo as well.

I have no idea how I did it, but I know im not crazy because I had a friend with me as a witness!. Unfortunately it was in training mode so i was unable to save a replay... :[

Has anyone else encountered something like this or know how to recreate the scenario?
I accidentally did the same thing a whilel back but forgot to save the replay. I still have no idea how it happened but I'm pretty sure it had something to do with being hit out of something to get desynched.

StarGalaxy777

Smash Apprentice
NNID
StarGalaxy
Question of the day at what point does Rosalina's down air spike like where exactly is the sweetspot for it.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Question of the day at what point does Rosalina's down air spike like where exactly is the sweetspot for it.
Rosalina's down aerial has four different hitboxes, based on how far away the ring is from Rosalina's feet. It's the attack's second hitbox that has meteor smash properties; the meteor smash hitbox deals up to 7% damage.

Top Bottom