• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Rosalina Match-Up Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RavenKing50

Smash Rookie
NNID
Bangstar56
3DS FC
3995-6653-8699
The only character i have trouble with is against :4dk: because his dash attack can unlink my luma and once he gets close i have a hard time getting out thanks to his strong attacks.

Pika_Legend

Smash Rookie
I've been trying to decide between Rosalina and ZSS as a main and in playing both of them a lot I feel like ZSS is one bad match for Rosalina.
Any character with speed that can apply constant pressure is gonna be trouble. Shiek ZSS and Sonic feel like her toughest fights but I don't feel like any of them are lower than 4-6.

When playing against fast characters I find it works to play defensive with fairs and nairs. Fair in particular has a lot if active frames if you miss the hit move back but as far as I have seen not many air attacks can hit you out of fair if you keep them in front of you. Try to read dash attacks and dair them and throw Luma shot a lot to keep them honest. I don't worry to much about losing Luma because Rosalina can play a good defensive game to stall and it doesn't take long to get her back.

Last edited:

Erahteekuh

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3239-4781-9590
Im pretty sure im doing this wrong but anyone having trouble with megaman? There are too many projectiles to GP and his tilts and spacing are pretty good. The gear also goes through the luma and through you as well. He can also follow up on the gear shortly after throwing it so if you do GP he will just dash attack or some other move. Im just trying to find a way to deal with all his poke and zone but once he has enough damage on me his tilts destroy rosaluma.. Any advice on what to do against the decent MMs??

Pika_Legend

Smash Rookie
Im pretty sure im doing this wrong but anyone having trouble with megaman? There are too many projectiles to GP and his tilts and spacing are pretty good. The gear also goes through the luma and through you as well. He can also follow up on the gear shortly after throwing it so if you do GP he will just dash attack or some other move. Im just trying to find a way to deal with all his poke and zone but once he has enough damage on me his tilts destroy rosaluma.. Any advice on what to do against the decent MMs??
I had trouble with MM at first. Now I play Super aggressive with air attacks. Most of his attacks are from the ground jump over and dair and nair. Forget gp unless he fires a charge shot and it's to late to jump. If your airs are getting to him and he starts jumping you win because his airs are no where near as good as yours

Erahteekuh

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3239-4781-9590
I had trouble with MM at first. Now I play Super aggressive with air attacks. Most of his attacks are from the ground jump over and dair and nair. Forget gp unless he fires a charge shot and it's to late to jump. If your airs are getting to him and he starts jumping you win because his airs are no where near as good as yours
Thanks for the tip man Ill be sure to apply this in my next match against a MM. My only real fear now is his bair cuz it kills at a decent % with rosalina and her height/weight.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I had trouble with a Megaman online until I learned to respect Metal Blade. It goes right through Luma, which took me about a full stock to properly appreciate and deal with. GP drops it at your feet, and I was able to pick it up and shield in time for the Top Spin punish, then do whatever. Whether it's usually safe probably depends on spacing and timing. GP has a pretty good duration so if you pop it early in anticipation it'll pull Metal Blade in at the tail end of the animation and you're free to act.

You can also GP Air Shooter and Hard Knuckle and basically every one of his moves that's not physically attached to him, although whether it's safe to do so is another matter entirely. (Speaking of which I think Flame Sword and Slash Claw beat our own aerials since they come out so fast. Not entirely sure but they gave me trouble.)

The PikMan

Smash Cadet
Even mediocre sonics body me =[ I played a guy I was significantly better than, (2 stocked his other characters with Rosa, beat his Sonic with my other characters etc) but Sonic just has no trouble getting in and then separating Luma and killing her. Whenever he is in a ball I just have to run away because if he hits luma its a free nair? to uair to up b uair combo on Luma. His fsmash and bair also have a surprising amount of range and KO power. Any tips?

Pika_Legend

Smash Rookie
Even mediocre sonics body me =[ I played a guy I was significantly better than, (2 stocked his other characters with Rosa, beat his Sonic with my other characters etc) but Sonic just has no trouble getting in and then separating Luma and killing her. Whenever he is in a ball I just have to run away because if he hits luma its a free nair? to uair to up b uair combo on Luma. His fsmash and bair also have a surprising amount of range and KO power. Any tips?
You kind of have to read his attacks but fair and Luma have priority on his spin attack I believe. I usually throw out fairs just to keep him on defense and then when he is on defense you can get aggressive

Bushando64

King of the 64-Bit Realm
NNID
Bushando
3DS FC
1547-5186-5659
Switch FC
SW 5128 8278 7987
Previously on "The Rosalina Match-Up Discussion" thread:
:4sonic:
One match-up that I thought would be horrendously difficult is against Sonic. I personally keep making the mistake of thinking that he's not much of a threat since I'm used to Brawl, but that's a severe underestimation in Smash 3DS now that he's actually powerful. In the match-up, however, I may have overestimated Sonic's options.
Sonics looooove to approach with a Spin Dash of some sort, which has the unfortunate characteristic to be totally neutered by Star Bits. When they somehow get past the Star Bits and chase after you, shielding and responding with a down-Smash or a grab can really screw up their momentum. Sonic's really strong in the air, however, so try not to get caught when recovering or delivering your own aerials. Be liberal with your shield as Sonics attempt to hit you with practically every single kind of aerial attack followed by Homing Attack. #2fast
A lot of Sonic's Smash-attacks and his back-air have quite a bit of end/landing-lag, so feel free to take advantage of that.

I have no idea what to do against :4dk: as I've literally NEVER encountered one on For Glory, but I would imagine that he's a better incarnation of his past selves in that he's quicker and still strong? Spacing with Luma is very important, as some players you can actually bait to chase Luma and respond accordingly with your own attacks or push away with Star Bits, but DK's dash-attack is a tad problematic much like :4yoshi:, :4sheik:, :4zss:, etc.

:4megaman:
Personally speaking, unless an opposing Mega Man completely abandons their typical play-style, RosaLuma may be one of his worst nightmares. Gravitational Pull completely nullifies an amazing chunk of Mega's moveset--up-air, down-air, side-Smash, neutral-special, side-special, down-special, neutral-attack (both on the ground and in the air, but be wary of three shots), and POSSIBLY up-special once Rush is done being a spring--it leaves the super fighting robot with very little need to predict what's coming your way. Rosalina still needs to exercise caution, however, as a smart Rockman will know when to use what projectile when you least expect it. On the ground, Rosalina should be best friends with her shield and Luma itself as Mega Man's up-tilt and down-tilt are particularly easy to respond to with a grab out of shield or a dash-attack of your own, but be careful that Mega Man doesn't perform two down-tilt slides in a row since it's very quick and is decently powerful. His up-Smash and down-Smash are moves to be wary of as well, but they have an almost laughable amount of end-lag if they don't connect. Be wary as up-Smash has a weak gravitational effect that pulls you into it if you get too close. Mega Man's approach is pretty much limited at that point to dash-attack and forward- or back-air, which all get prevented fairly easily by a shield with which Rosalina can use an appropriate response such as a forward- or down-tilt either linked or un-linked from Luma. Rosalina's aerials do a decent job of spacing--especially neutral-air when linked--and spacing with Luma is helpful but not totally necessary as Mega Man's dash-attack sends Luma away or to its death 99% of the time. Juggling Mega Man with Rosalina's up-air works fairly well, and down-throw into forward-air helps to rack up percentage. Gimping Mega Man offstage is feasible, but not terribly recommended, as Rush is pretty great recovery for a decently heavy character. He can also wall-jump for some added height on certain stages.

Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Back in the Brawl days, the Wario boards made a dedicated effort to discuss every match-up they had with every other character in the game and have in-depth discussion and effort put into their match-ups. They started from the top of the tier list (in absence of this, going alphabetically would be fine) and used approximately a week or so where they contacted the character board of the char they were discussing and looked at the match-up with these members before settling on a rating.

My suggestion for you guys would be to do the same. To be able to create more accurate MU values and to keep up to date with new meta.

However the downfall of this method is it's extensive and takes time and if there is a discrepancy in time between the first character you look at and the last char you look at which exceeds half a year, it may mean new metas have evolved on a specific character board (or your own) that would affect the value of a MU you have already determined.

I believe the Wario boards took this into account by using a system where a previous rating could be brought up in the place of the next one in the case of these kinds of game-changing techniques.

Hope this helps. :)

Bushando64

King of the 64-Bit Realm
NNID
Bushando
3DS FC
1547-5186-5659
Switch FC
SW 5128 8278 7987
Back in the Brawl days, the Wario boards made a dedicated effort to discuss every match-up they had with every other character in the game and have in-depth discussion and effort put into their match-ups. They started from the top of the tier list (in absence of this, going alphabetically would be fine) and used approximately a week or so where they contacted the character board of the char they were discussing and looked at the match-up with these members before settling on a rating.

My suggestion for you guys would be to do the same. To be able to create more accurate MU values and to keep up to date with new meta.

However the downfall of this method is it's extensive and takes time and if there is a discrepancy in time between the first character you look at and the last char you look at which exceeds half a year, it may mean new metas have evolved on a specific character board (or your own) that would affect the value of a MU you have already determined.

I believe the Wario boards took this into account by using a system where a previous rating could be brought up in the place of the next one in the case of these kinds of game-changing techniques.

Hope this helps. :)
I am 1000% behind this idea. Keeps thing organized and focused, as well. :126:

Last edited:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Well first of all we need a solid tier list!
In lieu of a tier list we can just go alphabetical or some other order that's relevant to the current meta. (Little Mac is wildly popular, for instance; learning more about his matchup would be useful in the short term.)

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
Hey guys, I'm a Villager main and was wondering if you guys have tips for me against Rosalina? Might seem strange to ask here since she's your girl.. But nonetheless, this is a terrible matchup for us animal crossing folk and I need a some help.
This is not the right place to ask. Why not make a topic about this match-up in the Rosie forums?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
@ JamietheAuraUser JamietheAuraUser typed up a pretty extensive analysis of the Pit VS Rosalina match-up in another thread:

Rosalina doesn't even have to pursue into the air to juggle much of the cast thanks to her absolutely ridiculous UTilt. She has a dominant ground game, even more dominant air game, dominant defensive game thanks to her effective immunity to both grabs and projectiles and the fact that she grants Luma immunity to projectiles as well as long as it's anywhere nearby, and dominant ground and aerial offence thanks to her absolutely insane ENTIRE AERIAL MOVESET and Dash Attack, UTilt, Down Smash, USmash, and Luma's DTilt, not to mention her FSmash which outranges that of many sword-wielders.

Pit in particular has absolutely nothing on Rosalina, other than the vague advantage of being able to actually hit her with a short-hop FAir thanks to her height. For some weird reason, Rosalina automatically breaks out of Pit's jab combo after the first hit at most percents. She can also easily fall out of his USmash for some reason, and is somehow able to shield the second hit of his FSmash even if the first hit connects. Her FSmash and FTilt both out-range Pit's FTilt and DTilt and the first hit of his FSmash, and she has Luma to make that even worse. And, on top of all that, her walking speed is superior to Pit's air speed, allowing her to juggle Pit with UTilt almost indefinitely, especially since the move's range is superior to that of Pit's DAir. Even the Power of Flight isn't fast enough to get Pit out of the way. If, theoretically, there was a flat walk-off stage with no other features (or a flat stage without grabbable ledges), Rosalina would have a 100-0 matchup against Pit as a result of that alone. He can use the Guardian Orbitars to cover his descent, sure, but that just allows Rosalina to immediately grab and UThrow him, then resume spamming UTilt forever. Even if Pit manages to bait a UTilt and use Power of Flight while she whiffs, she can still just pop him back up with Dash Attack and resume juggling him forever because Power of Flight travels just too slowly.

And even though Rosalina doesn't have to take to the air at all to completely outdo Pit's air game, she can if she wants and she'll win there, too. Her BAir flattens her hurtbox out and has reach equal to or greater than Pit's FAir, allowing her to slip the move's hitbox and hit Pit. Her FAir has horizontal reach equal to Pit's FAir with a wider vertical arc, allowing her to easily get past it that way, too. Both her FAir and BAir out-range Pit's NAir, so that's a no-go as well, and they out-range BAir even worse than FAir. Her UAir out-ranges Pit's DAir, and her DAir out-ranges Pit's UAir. In other words, Pit's air game straight-up loses to hers in every way, even without Luma, on top of his ground game losing to hers in every way.

Even if Pit gets her in the air, he can't take advantage of it as her DAir out-ranges his UTilt and seemingly even his USmash, plus Launch Star lets her escape any juggles he attempts by letting her reach the ground before he's able to chase her down.

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
@ JamietheAuraUser JamietheAuraUser typed up a pretty extensive analysis of the Pit VS Rosalina match-up in another thread:
Keep in mind that "analysis" (more like half analysis, half rage-induced rant) is the result of me as Pit versus an obviously-very-good Rosalina player on FD, along with several matches against Level 8 CPU Rosalina on FD in an attempt to figure out what the heck Pit can even do to her. So I don't know if USmash and FSmash are unsafe on hit vs human players because that might just be the result of cheating CPU SDI. I do know that CPU Rosalina just follows me along on the ground and UTilts me forever when I'm in the air, and the player I fought did exactly what I described above to hit me when I tried to FAir him. I only really win against CPU Rosalina because the CPU is dumb enough to charge a Luma Shot in my face and let me reflect it back at her with Guardian Orbitars. A reflected Luma Shot has quite a bit of KO power as it turns out. Unlike the player I fought, the CPU also isn't consistent about negating every arrow I fire with Gravitational Pull. There's the other problem: the Palutena Bow has a lot of endlag even compared to other projectiles, which drastically limits or possibly outright negates any potential for me to bait a Gravitational Pull and use Rosalina's temporary immobility to approach.

Oaty

Smash Cadet
So have any of guys played against any good Bowser Jr. mains yet? How do you play the MU?

Bowser Jr. is just such an annoying character to play against.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
So have any of guys played against any good Bowser Jr. mains yet? How do you play the MU?

Bowser Jr. is just such a annoying character to play against.
He's one of the worst to use against Rosalina. He's so easy to fight as her.

Gravitational Pull negates all of his projectiles, including the ejected Clown Car (and makes Rosalina the "owner" of Mechakoopas), Luma Shot stops his Side B in his tracks, normals are easy to predict and Rosalina can counter them with a lot of ease, pretty easy to use Luma against him since his Side B doesn't go through Luma, etc...

Bushando64

King of the 64-Bit Realm
NNID
Bushando
3DS FC
1547-5186-5659
Switch FC
SW 5128 8278 7987
Well first of all we need a solid tier list!
In lieu of a tier list we can just go alphabetical or some other order that's relevant to the current meta. (Little Mac is wildly popular, for instance; learning more about his matchup would be useful in the short term.)
I agree with @ ParanoidDrone ParanoidDrone , but I personally think in order to get the ball rolling as soon as possible that we should just start with an alpabetical list. Perhaps we could even add what we end up agreeing on as far as match-ups to the original post so people don't HAVE to sift through tons of posts to find what they're looking for, and we can organize it into the decided tiers once they become available?

nightSN

Smash Ace
He's one of the worst to use against Rosalina. He's so easy to fight as her.

Gravitational Pull negates all of his projectiles, including the ejected Clown Car (and makes Rosalina the "owner" of Mechakoopas), Luma Shot stops his Side B in his tracks, normals are easy to predict and Rosalina can counter them with a lot of ease, pretty easy to use Luma against him since his Side B doesn't go through Luma, etc...
I agree, this is the match up in a nutshell. Next match up please

Bushando64

King of the 64-Bit Realm
NNID
Bushando
3DS FC
1547-5186-5659
Switch FC
SW 5128 8278 7987
I really like how they handle match-ups in the Lucina forums. I personally think that we should adopt the same format.

We could even make a separate thread for archival purposes.

Last edited:

Crazycolorz5

Smash Rookie
NNID
Crazycolorz5
In terms of order we address them, I believe that, in the absence of a tier list, we should examine them in order of how concerning we find them. It has already been noted that ZSS, Shiek, Sonic, and Greninja seem like potential trouble, so we should probably start with those.

Also, if I may add my own concern, I find Link fairly troublesome to deal with. With good timing, GP is useless against his bombs, his boomerang comes out quick and he can usually punish you if you're close enough and use GP, and most of his hitboxes have more horizontal breadth than your up/down aerials. His usmash can also kill at relatively low %'s as well.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
A user posted the following post on a different thread. It has links leading to the match-up threads for the other fighters, which you can use as sources if you're trying to get down Rosalina's match-ups.

And to people who think he is hugely exaggerating, here is a list based on a cursory glance at the subforums. "Topic" indicates the rosaluma matchup has its own thread, while "responses" indicates posted replies suggest difficulty with the matchup.

Bowser: http://smashboards.com/threads/bowser-vs-rosaluma-tips.373261/ (topic)
Bowser Jr: http://smashboards.com/threads/difficult-matchups.373361/ (responses)
Charizard: http://smashboards.com/threads/bad-charizard-matchups-first-impressions.371063/ (responses)
Dark Pit: http://smashboards.com/threads/vs-rosalina-and-luma.373909/ (topic)
Diddy Kong: http://smashboards.com/threads/mu-strategy-thread.373553/ (responses)
Donkey Kong: http://smashboards.com/threads/tips-vs-rosalina.373804/ (topic)
Duck Hunt: http://smashboards.com/threads/rosalina-unwinnable.372210/#post-17778531 (topic)
Ganondorf: http://smashboards.com/threads/match-up-help-villager-lumina.373376/ (topic)
Greninja: http://smashboards.com/threads/mastery-of-the-arts-greninja-impressions-matchup-thread.369356/ (responses)
Jigglypuff: http://smashboards.com/threads/difficult-matchups-for-puff.372276/ (responses)
Dedede: http://smashboards.com/threads/your-worst-matchups.374191/ (responses)
Kirby: http://smashboards.com/threads/kirby-matchups.372223/ (responses)
Link: http://smashboards.com/threads/mu-rosalina-matchup.373722/ (topic)
Little Mac: http://smashboards.com/threads/are-...-challenge-little-mac-match-up-thread.348176/ (responses)
Lucina: http://smashboards.com/threads/lucina-match-ups.371203/ (responses)
Mario: http://smashboards.com/threads/mario-match-up-discussion.372343/#post-17777303 (responses)
Marth: http://smashboards.com/threads/marth-matchups.371039/ (responses)
Mega Man: http://smashboards.com/threads/your-toughest-matchup.371272/page-2#post-17757117 (responses)
Mr. Game and Watch: http://smashboards.com/threads/does-anyone-know-who-counters-g-w.372559/ (responses)
Ness: http://smashboards.com/threads/difficult-matchups.371539/ (responses)
Olimar: http://smashboards.com/threads/competitive-discussion-thoughts-on-olimar-so-far.368178/page-3 (responses)
Pac Man: http://smashboards.com/threads/pacmans-m-ms-metagame-and-match-up-discussion-thread.370926/page-2 (responses)
Peach: http://smashboards.com/threads/peach-match-up-thread-palutena-added.373319/ (responses)
Pikachu: http://smashboards.com/threads/pikachu-matchup-thread.373464/#post-17805872 (responses)
Robin: http://smashboards.com/threads/who-counters-robin.370473/ (responses)
Samus: http://smashboards.com/threads/matchup-discussion.371895/ (responses)
Sheik: http://smashboards.com/threads/the-sheik-counter.371959/#post-17764207 (responses)
Sonic: http://smashboards.com/threads/everyone-else-is-too-slow-sonic-match-up-thread.372436/ (responses)
Toon Link: http://smashboards.com/threads/toon-link-match-ups.373951/ (responses)
Villager: http://smashboards.com/threads/town-hall-meeting-villager-matchup-discussion.370525/ (responses)
Wii Fit Trainer: http://smashboards.com/threads/wii-fit-trainers-matchups.371817/ (responses)
Zero Suit Samus: http://smashboards.com/threads/lets-make-a-list-of-tips-for-annoying-mus.371890/ (responses)

Keep in mind I skipped all the Mii fighters, Pit and Dark Pit have the same forums and a lot of the unpopular characters like Luigi didn't have any content apparent content as far as MUs go.

Percentful

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5026-4947-0924
Hey, if people haven't noticed, Rosalina has a nice safety tool regarding dash grabbing.
She already has a pretty safe dash grab. However, as a cool technique you can actually have Rosalina dash grab while Luma dash attacks. It's super simple - Just cancel a dash attack with a grab. Instead of quickly inputting R then A, input A then R. Rosalina will grab, Luma will attack just in front of her.

In the same way, you can apply this to pivot grabs! When pivoting input R then A, and Luma will dash attack on the side that Rosalina isn't grabbing.

I've found it helps with some slippery characters that like to roll a lot. This way, if you're just a bit short then you might still knock your opponent away a bit, saving yourself some punishment. Also, you can grab and hit with Luma at the same time, so with a few pummels you can easily get 8% damage before even throwing. Kinda cool, and super easy.

And as far as I can tell, there's no downside to this besides that it really only works when you're synced. Luma doesn't assist with grabbing anyways.

Last edited:

wombo_9999

Smash Rookie
Im having a few issues with marth/lucina matchups. They can match Rosalinas Boxout Ranges toe to toe and Dair normally gets trashed by Marth/Lucina Uair while in Juggle. Anyone have some suggestions? I feel like any Aeriel approach is just wasteful and the Best method i can find it to play against them much like little mac...

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
I'm not a RosaLuma main, but in the matches I've played with her I have come across a very sad MU that hasn't been mentioned yet which is PacMan...

The poor yellow pie has very few of his normal options available to him with a simple down special from Rosa.

-Pacman side special:
when in range, Rosalina pulls his power pellet away and she can easily heal and cripple this attack. So strong...

-Pacman special:
pretty standard projectile counter, but yet another move trumped with the same defense.
And it's a Villager type re-use function! Which is far more versatile and dangerous than the standard reflect. Don't use "B" Pacman... unless you're combo'n like a fiend or you're sure you can cover the frames...

-Pacman down special (continued):
You can pull the standing hydrant, (thank you ParanoidDrone) the hydrant in flight, and the water shot out if need be... so much control with the same move again!

I felt really badly spamming this when I discovered a few of these, but it was educational for both the pac player and myself. We stopped going head to head and started testing without communication haha, it was rather fun. We ended with a few taunts and silly walk animations and that was that, but the level of counter-play was learned by us both.

It's not the most common MU but I'd say it's in her favor until I know more about Pac and his options.

Last edited:

xStJimmy

Smash Rookie
I'm having trouble using Rosalina (or pretty much any other character that is not Bowser Jr) against Link.
I'm not a great player but I win most of the matches in For Glory, but when I encounter a Link, even a not-so-good one, I have trouble getting to hit him.
They spam arrows, boomerangs and boombs, I can use the down b so they don't hit me but I'm in an endless loop. If they rush me, most of the time they end up hitting me with the sword or an arrow when they're close, and if i try to get closer, a quick arrow hits me most of the time. Obviously I try to dodge but even then, when I try to hit, the quick arrow gets me. Trying to hit them with Luma is useless most of the time, the knockback form the arrow or the sword gets him to my side or at least not close enough to hit them
I know it's kinda complicated to explain in words, a video would be better but I forgot to save the last time I fought one

Any ideas on how to approach a spamming Link?

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I'm not a RosaLuma main, but in the matches I've played with her I have come across a very sad MU that hasn't been mentioned yet which is PacMan...

The poor yellow pie has very few of his normal options available to him with a simple down special from Rosa.

-Pacman side special:
when in range, Rosalina pulls his power pellet away and she can easily heal and cripple this attack. So strong...

-Pacman special:
pretty standard projectile counter, but yet another move trumped with the same defense.

-Pacman downspecial (continued):
Just about everything included in the fire hydrant is gimped by Rosa down special (except it's initial placement.) Flying hydrants, water... so much control with the same move again!

I felt really badly spamming this when I discovered a few of these, but it was educational for both the pac player and myself. We stopped going head to head and started testing without communication haha, it was rather fun. We ended with a few taunts and silly walk animations and that was that, but the level of counterplay was learned by us both.

It's not the most common MU but I'd say it's in her favor until I know more about Pac and his options.
I've had mixed results trying to GPull the hydrant. Usually it works, even after it's been placed, but sometimes it fails to get sucked in. I'm not certain it wasn't a spacing issue, but it's confused me the few times I've seen a Pac Man in FG.

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
I've had mixed results trying to GPull the hydrant. Usually it works, even after it's been placed, but sometimes it fails to get sucked in. I'm not certain it wasn't a spacing issue, but it's confused me the few times I've seen a Pac Man in FG.
It would be even more op if you could use down special before the hydrand is launched, but you need to wait until he hits it enough to send it in a mobile state, so it is in the state of a projectile. You can't use this counter until it's hit, so it's not quite as big an advantage as the side b cripple, and any character aware of Pacman hitting the hydrant can use evasive maneuvers, but it's an option many characters don't have... and one more tool Pacman can't use effectively in his arsenal for this MU.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
It would be even more op if you could use down special before the hydrand is launched, but you need to wait until he hits it enough to send it in a mobile state, so it is in the state of a projectile. You can't use this counter until it's hit, so it's not quite as big an advantage as the side b cripple, and any character aware of Pacman hitting the hydrant can use evasive maneuvers, but it's an option many characters don't have... and one more tool Pacman can't use effectively in his arsenal for this MU.
That's the thing though, I'm 95% certain I've successfully used GPull on the hydrant after it's been placed on the ground but without Pac Man (or me) hitting it to send it flying. But it's not a sure thing for some reason.

I haven't had an opportunity to test this in controlled conditions so I may be wrong, but that's what it seemed like to me.

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
That's the thing though, I'm 95% certain I've successfully used GPull on the hydrant after it's been placed on the ground but without Pac Man (or me) hitting it to send it flying. But it's not a sure thing for some reason.

I haven't had an opportunity to test this in controlled conditions so I may be wrong, but that's what it seemed like to me.
If that is the case then we should do more testing. I'm definitely open to being wrong haha. Perhaps it's a damage requirement? Mine usually seemed to fail when it was first placed. If there is a way to pull the hydrant before it's launched that makes it all the more op a MU though. Let me know if you find out how it was done and I will do the same if I get the chance.

Edit:
Well... I had time, you're absolutely correct. It does pull the standing hydrant as well. I guess I wasn't in range in that silly pacifist testing environment until they launched it at me. But I just tested in training and you should probably now be 99.9% certain you aren't wrong. I'll Edit the original post in case it causes confusion, and thank you for the correction :D

Last edited:

Dapplegonger

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetX-tremist
3DS FC
5129-1289-1208
As far as the hydrant goes, I think that it will pull the hydrant in up until it shoots the first shot of water. At that point it will only attract the water. Not sure why that is, but in my experience that's always what ends up happening.

Also, I've had a lot of trouble against Robin, and to a lesser extent, Ness. Whenever I try to send out my Luma, they use their side specials to straight up stop any approach. Ness doesn't really have any good follow ups (I can usually escape before the bat comes out), but it gives Robin the perfect opportunity to charge his neutral special. And whenever I jump over the Fire Wall of Luma's Nightmares, Robin has enough time to roll out of the way and sometimes punish before I get anything out of it.

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
As far as the hydrant goes, I think that it will pull the hydrant in up until it shoots the first shot of water. At that point it will only attract the water. Not sure why that is, but in my experience that's always what ends up happening.

Also, I've had a lot of trouble against Robin, and to a lesser extent, Ness. Whenever I try to send out my Luma, they use their side specials to straight up stop any approach. Ness doesn't really have any good follow ups (I can usually escape before the bat comes out), but it gives Robin the perfect opportunity to charge his neutral special. And whenever I jump over the Fire Wall of Luma's Nightmares, Robin has enough time to roll out of the way and sometimes punish before I get anything out of it.
If you use her Down B you can stop the Fire Wall from ever existing. Even if you have to rinse and repeat, he can only cast fire spells so many times... Some play styles need to change depending on the opponent's choice. Rosa's down B predictions, or even safe calculated regular use, force Robin into a frantic melee state... which I feel Rosa and Luma could probably manage. (the same can be said about him knocking your Luma off stage so don't be too cocky, this is still a fighting game attempting balance, not exactly rock paper scissors)

And ness off the ledge without a jump... is an easy gimp. Down special and steal his PKT, ouch. The more I do testing for this thread the scarier she seems, and I was hoping not to main her. Her down special is pretty incredible in some of these MUs alone. She is especially light and easy to star KO but she has options and stage coverage for days.

Last edited:

Dapplegonger

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetX-tremist
3DS FC
5129-1289-1208
If you use her Down B you can stop the Fire Wall from ever existing. Even if you have to rinse and repeat, he can only cast fire spells so many times... Some play styles need to change depending on the opponent's choice. Rosa's down B predictions, or even safe calculated regular use, force Robin into a frantic melee state... which I feel Rosa and Luma could probably manage. (the same can be said about him knocking your Luma off stage so don't be too cocky, this is still a fighting game not rock paper scissors)

And ness off the ledge without a jump... is an easy gimp. Down special and steal his PKT, ouch. The more I do testing for this thread the scarier she seems, and I was hoping not to main her. Her down special is pretty incredible in some of these MUs alone. She is especially light and easy to star KO but she has options and stage coverage for days.
I need to get better on my reaction times for Down B. He usually will use it when I'm trying to rush in, so it's hard to react, but I get what you're saying. I guess I just need to play a little safer.
As far as the Ness thing goes, that's why I said he was less of a problem. He's so easy to gimp, I do it nearly every time he tries to recover, it's just the problem of getting him there.

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
She has some great aerial game, try to short hop nonpunishable attacks safe out of range or in poking 'safe off shield' distance, and bait his side specials before rushing in or doing anything heroic. If your actions are based off his reactions instead of your initiation you are 1 step ahead of the flow, just make sure there's not a second option up their sleeve like a fully charged bolt unless you have frames to cover that too. This kind of play doesn't work for all MU, it's just one that I find works well against campy style Robins. I find it also works with many characters vs Robin, not just RosaLuma.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I want to let everyone know that I will be planning on making a Match-Up Analysis thread for Rosalina in a few weeks. The way that I'll have it work is that for a certain number of days, we would discuss Rosalina's match-up against a specific character, which includes pros, cons, and an overall score.

Because the roster is quite large though, I'm having some difficulty deciding on the amount of days we should discuss a specific character.

The date that I did have planned for beginning this plot was on 11/23. However, because Japan doesn't get Smash Wii U until 12/6, I might have to delay the thread opening until 12/7; this will allow all regions to take part of the match-up talk for the 3DS and Wii U versions.

Anyway, this is just a notice on the plans I have for making the match-up discussions be less messy.

Bushando64

King of the 64-Bit Realm
NNID
Bushando
3DS FC
1547-5186-5659
Switch FC
SW 5128 8278 7987
Shout-out to @ Mario & Sonic Guy Mario & Sonic Guy
for being my hero c:

I personally have no problem compiling all of my findings and dropping a ton of knowledge at once. Super-glad that both 3DS and Wii U versions seem to play identically, as well. Time to hibernate in the lab 'til mid-December~ :143:

Last edited:

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
So, what exactly seem to be Rosalina's best and worst match ups?

Rapshade

Smash Rookie
I want to let everyone know that I will be planning on making a Match-Up Analysis thread for Rosalina in a few weeks. The way that I'll have it work is that for a certain number of days, we would discuss Rosalina's match-up against a specific character, which includes pros, cons, and an overall score.

Because the roster is quite large though, I'm having some difficulty deciding on the amount of days we should discuss a specific character.

The date that I did have planned for beginning this plot was on 11/23. However, because Japan doesn't get Smash Wii U until 12/6, I might have to delay the thread opening until 12/7; this will allow all regions to take part of the match-up talk for the 3DS and Wii U versions.

Anyway, this is just a notice on the plans I have for making the match-up discussions be less messy.
Why not have a separate thread for each match up so each one can have it's own place and all match ups can be discussed simultaneously. Each one can be moderated so people stay on topic. In this thread there can be a link to each match up sorted alphabetically. This seems much more efficient for analyzing so many match ups without limiting each to a time frame. This also allows match ups to be reanalyzed as the meta changes rather than waiting for the characters to cycle back to a particular match up.

Edit: Grammar.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom