• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Rosalina Match-Up Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I think the ROB matchup needs to be re-examined. A competent one's projectiles are a nightmare. That laser comes out fast to the point where GP is useless (or block gets Luma killed) and depending on its strength kills Luma in 2-3 hits. Plus his aerial game stops yours easily and makes a ground approach almost impossible (even on block). His Nair (the fire flip) and Bair make it so you can't approach either on the ground or the air. Then one Dthrow leads to Uair and along with the gyros and laser leads to you at a kill percentage or almost there.

Also since Rosalina's aerial drop is so poor (ROB's Usmash, Utilt (I think), and Uair destroys that Rosalina's Dair) it's tough to come down. If you don't fake out ROB when you're coming down, you are going back up.

For this matchup, you're NOT keeping Luma, you've only got Rosalina. If you see a Annie on For Glory playing with a ROB, you're gonna have a bad time.
Annie get your gun laser?

From what I recall (been a while since I faced a ROB), the laser can be GP'd on reaction but you have to be watching ROB like a hawk, possibly to the detriment of your general situational awareness. He does a specific animation where he leans his head back a bit first, so that's your warning.

Is it worth bothering to GP the Gyro, you think?

InfinityZERO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CeroCulpa
3DS FC
0447-5489-0482
Annie get your gun laser?

From what I recall (been a while since I faced a ROB), the laser can be GP'd on reaction but you have to be watching ROB like a hawk, possibly to the detriment of your general situational awareness. He does a specific animation where he leans his head back a bit first, so that's your warning.

Is it worth bothering to GP the Gyro, you think?
Annie was throwing them at medium distance. If I GP'd, ROB would move in with his throw combo. It might be better to try and dash attack the gyro (I've picked up Megaman's Metal Blades this way before). If you do pick up ROB's gyro, I'd try and fight with Luma so he can't respawn another one (if the gyro follows the same rules as MM's Metal Blades).

For the previous poster, while you can GP ROB's laser, that's only viable at long distance or else at a shorter distance ROB can move in for his throw combo or throw his gyro at you again.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Annie was throwing them at medium distance. If I GP'd, ROB would move in with his throw combo. It might be better to try and dash attack the gyro (I've picked up Megaman's Metal Blades this way before). If you do pick up ROB's gyro, I'd try and fight with Luma so he can't respawn another one (if the gyro follows the same rules as MM's Metal Blades).

For the previous poster, while you can GP ROB's laser, that's only viable at long distance or else at a shorter distance ROB can move in for his throw combo or throw his gyro at you again.
I'm not sure it's possible to properly fight with Luma using only B moves, since using A will throw the Gyro out. Unless you're very clever with item catching shenanigans I guess. Star Bit harassment?

It is true that ROB can't make a second Gyro as long as the first one exists somewhere. Villager can shut it down completely by Pocketing it.

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
ROB I think just takes getting used to. You really gotta get in their head and convince them projectiles are a waste of time, I think this is the case with most projectile characters. Play it super defensive, GP preemptively from a distance until they start getting bored of your nonsense and move in for melee. Really gotta shut em down and piss em off.

There's certain times you can predict most ROBs will laser: when they're recovering and when the match starts. Gyro is good if you can GP it and use it in an approach, I like dash throw into grab, it's simple but it's an option, also throwing the gyro up and throwing ROB into it w/ an uthrow/uair or w/e for style. It's probably better to just GP it and leave it on the stage. Does it continue to spin if you GP it? If so, that could definitely work in your favor if you just leave and it let it spin.

His nair will counter your nair if he reads your approach, and as was mentioned his uairs are a pain in Rosalina's butt, and you're right, you don't have Luma for this fight. He's actually pretty easy to gimp w/ dair if you get him to recover low, too, so you can kill him early that way.

I've seen ROBs go through my uair strings w/ no problem just by simply fast falling through my uair and then giving me an uair, so you can't rely on it, they can avoid it and punish you easily.

I'm wondering though, can you DI out of his downthrow to uair? I'd guess that just DIing up and away would be your best chance but I'm not sure if that would even work.

update:

fought a pretty good rob today on ladder and i took the set. i got to put some theories into practice today, one being "does down B continue the spin on the gyro?" and the answer is YES, you can use down B near his gyro and it will continue to spin, giving you extra stage control, as the spinning gyro wont hurt you but it will hurt ROB if he touches it. so DONT pick it up, let ROB come after it and use it as a shield, that plus luma and you've got one hell of a wall.

second thing was, "can you DI out of downthrow to uair?" the answer is definitely yes, even at low percents, I wasn't even DI'ing up, just behind him. Up probably works too but his downthrow does hit you above platforms and can kill, so if you DI it up and it hits a platform on like yoshis or battlefield it can potentially kill <100% i think.

down air wrecks robs when they're recovering, tho, killed him once at like 60% using luma in the dair, wasnt a spike, killed horizontally. i doubt he DI'd it but it comes out so fast i doubt he had a chance, but im pretty sure it wasnt bad DI.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Just as a reminder, a successor to this thread will be set up beginning next weekend; the changes will take effect on 11/22. Once the new match-up discussion format has been set up, this thread will be closed from further posting.

bmaster77

Smash Apprentice
NNID
bobatapioca
Hi Guys I have a few matchup specific questions for a few characters:

Vs. Sonic
How do you deal with his spin attacks. i find myself shielding most of the time and my luma just getting shield poked and KOed

Vs. Villager
What is the best way to edgeguard him? I can easily get villager offstage, but once he's trying to recover, he just uses sideB and I have to respect that and lose my chance to edgeguard

Vs. Greninja
How do you deal with his Dair, kind of the same idea as sonic. he just kind of does it and my luma takes a beating for free

Vs. Lucario
Once he gets to higher percentages I can't get anywhere near him anymore to kill him. Also at higher percents i can't really edgeguard him

I guess for the most part, I struggle to finish off these characters. I feel i can easily rack up damage but that final blow is sometimes hard to get. I'll often see these guys go up to 150%+

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Hi Guys I have a few matchup specific questions for a few characters:

Vs. Sonic
How do you deal with his spin attacks. i find myself shielding most of the time and my luma just getting shield poked and KOed

Vs. Villager
What is the best way to edgeguard him? I can easily get villager offstage, but once he's trying to recover, he just uses sideB and I have to respect that and lose my chance to edgeguard

Vs. Greninja
How do you deal with his Dair, kind of the same idea as sonic. he just kind of does it and my luma takes a beating for free

Vs. Lucario
Once he gets to higher percentages I can't get anywhere near him anymore to kill him. Also at higher percents i can't really edgeguard him

I guess for the most part, I struggle to finish off these characters. I feel i can easily rack up damage but that final blow is sometimes hard to get. I'll often see these guys go up to 150%+
Luma Shot will stop Sonic's Spin Dash. Uncharged will still damage Luma, fully charged won't. I think you can also poke him out of it with D-Tilt. Sometimes I N-Air on top of him too.

Villager has a huge opening when dismounting the rocket, so that's your chance to do what you want to him. Just don't let him hit you before that. I honestly find him to be one of the easier characters for Rosalina (except when I forget that SPROUTING TREES LAUNCH HARD I NEED TO START REMEMBERING THAT).

Greninja's D-Air can be countered with Rosalina's U-Tilt or U-Air. Even if you don't damage him, he can register a bounce off the halo, so that can throw him off and you can get him back down from there.

High Aura Lucario is still something I struggle with and don't get enough practice with.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Hey guys! Rosalina week just started down at the Lucina Match-up Thread and we would love any input you can give us on the discussion. See you around!
Once my new match-up discussion setup is in place, you'll basically be able to discuss Rosalina's match-up against Lucina at any time. But I guess until then, your thread would be used for those who main Lucina, and are trying to fight against Rosalina.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Once my new match-up discussion setup is in place, you'll basically be able to discuss Rosalina's match-up against Lucina at any time. But I guess until then, your thread would be used for those who main Lucina, and are trying to fight against Rosalina.
Thanks, and sorry about that I forgot to link to the thread on the above post. I edited and added the link there.

Hacky

Smash Cadet
NNID
SN_Hacky
3DS FC
4513-4712-4723
Switch FC
2414 6996 3456
Its cool and all to get a type of formality going here, but we've been discussing how to set this up for literally weeks, now. Just decide something and go with it. Edit a main bump to being the current topic at hand and we'll just go with it. This forum is just disappointingly void of information because we cant decide who to do first and in what way. Just jump in head first.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'm going to be designing the successor to this thread today. As a result, this thread will now be closed from any further posting.

Ganreizu

Smash Ace
Guess i'll stop browsing smashboards till you're done posting 50 threads.

Luma wins this matchup.

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
Alright, let's start with a Falcon player's perspective on the matchup:

Falcon vs Rosalina MU from Falcon's POV:

When:

Falcon is on the ground + Rosie and Luma are on the ground and close together:

Here, any attacks that can hit them both at the same time or quickly go through Luma will work wonders. Gentleman, Falcon kick and running A come to mind among other attacks, but beware the timing! If you miss, you'll be (of course) wide open. And keep it varied! Show Rosalina more than 2 of your moves.

Falcon is on the ground + Rosie and Luma are on the ground and far apart:
At this point, it's all a matter of either:
- killing Luma with an attack that won't leave you open (depends on your distance vis-à-vis Rosie; judge and act accordingly)
or
- getting past that little star and in Rosie's face quickly before she can call it back (maybe for a running grab and d-throw...).
Also note that, whenever Rosalina is on the ground, occasional, well-timed and well-spaced f-smashes are your best friends. Land them and watch Rosie fly.

Falcon is on the ground + Rosie and Luma are in the air:
Time to try and juggle Rosie with uairs! However, note that it is preferable to approach Rosie, not from the straight bottom, but diagonnally -- either down to her left or down to her right. That way, her aerials won't hit you as easily.

Falcon is in the air:
This is not a good position to be in. From above, none of your aerials beat Rosalina's attacks. The best thing to do here is to dodge and/or be unpredictable with your landing.
(If you're really close to Rosalina, an aerial Falcon kick can work and will get both Rosie and Luma if they're not separated; however, a Falcon kick from afar is so predictable it's not even funny; don't do it).

Do any Rosalina players want to refute what I've posted here?

Nadeko Sengoku

Nadeko da yo!
Alright, let's start with a Falcon player's perspective on the matchup:

Falcon vs Rosalina MU from Falcon's POV:

When:

Falcon is on the ground + Rosie and Luma are on the ground and close together:

Here, any attacks that can hit them both at the same time or quickly go through Luma will work wonders. Gentleman, Falcon kick and running A come to mind among other attacks, but beware the timing! If you miss, you'll be (of course) wide open. And keep it varied! Show Rosalina more than 2 of your moves.

Falcon is on the ground + Rosie and Luma are on the ground and far apart:
At this point, it's all a matter of either:
- killing Luma with an attack that won't leave you open (depends on your distance vis-à-vis Rosie; judge and act accordingly)
or
- getting past that little star and in Rosie's face quickly before she can call it back (maybe for a running grab and d-throw...).
Also note that, whenever Rosalina is on the ground, occasional, well-timed and well-spaced f-smashes are your best friends. Land them and watch Rosie fly.

Falcon is on the ground + Rosie and Luma are in the air:
Time to try and juggle Rosie with uairs! However, note that it is preferable to approach Rosie, not from the straight bottom, but diagonnally -- either down to her left or down to her right. That way, her aerials won't hit you as easily.

Falcon is in the air:
This is not a good position to be in. From above, none of your aerials beat Rosalina's attacks. The best thing to do here is to dodge and/or be unpredictable with your landing.
(If you're really close to Rosalina, an aerial Falcon kick can work and will get both Rosie and Luma if they're not separated; however, a Falcon kick from afar is so predictable it's not even funny; don't do it).

Do any Rosalina players want to refute what I've posted here?
Wow thanks for this, now I know what C. Falcon wants to do. Now if only I could find a way to implement this into my strategies lol It's to bad knowing this won't help me cause I suck, nonetheless thank you!

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
Even though Rosalina is tough to edgeguard and can outspace Puff, Jigglypuff is a lot better at getting around Luma than most characters. I think the matchup is even or slightly in Rosalina's favor.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Rosalina vs Sonic, they are both of my mains.
If I use Sonic I would use Sonic's speed advantage by keep dash attacking or Spin dash attacking Rosalina, (Of course that's what most people would do) and then KO her by just doing up Smash.
I had mention a lot of times before, it is a bit of challenging for Rosalina battling against fast characters. However, try using air attack or grab them more often. Since she has many damage giving attacks, trying to KO Sonic is not a tough task.

SSNC Luck

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3110-4300-0348
I think this is an annoying match up, basically Sonics inability to kill is helped by the fact we are so light. SOnics questionable air game is helped by our floatiness. I only ever do any work in this matchup with Luma next to me. If he spins too much and isn't careful luma shot can help alleviate stress. Sonic is able to pressure Rosa so well though. Following Sonic into the air when he spins can be successful sometimes.

Honestly I think this is a tough matchup for Rosa.

SSNC Luck

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3110-4300-0348
I think patience is key here, Jiggs is able to exploit that corner Rosa really struggles to cover. A patient Jiggs who can bait out Up smashes can wreak havoc on Rosa. Another matchup I like to keep Luma close to try and cover up that hole that Jiggs can exploit. Shileding seems to be strong here, unless Jiggs mixes in pound. Grabbing after the shield seems to be what I get lockied into. This is another farily tough match up for Rosa.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I think this is an annoying match up, basically Sonics inability to kill is helped by the fact we are so light. SOnics questionable air game is helped by our floatiness. I only ever do any work in this matchup with Luma next to me. If he spins too much and isn't careful luma shot can help alleviate stress. Sonic is able to pressure Rosa so well though. Following Sonic into the air when he spins can be successful sometimes.

Honestly I think this is a tough matchup for Rosa.
Sonic actually does not have an inability to KO at all in this game. He had is knockback and power buffed A LOT from Brawl.

That being said, I actually don't have too much trouble against him. You can shield grab his spinning, and you can screw up his Homing Attack since the game also counts Luma as a target, and that leaves him wide open (and generally will not KO Luma either). Those two things make things a lot easier for Rosalina than they might otherwise be. Plus, once you get him into the air, Rosalina's aerial range outclasses him, even moreso if Luma is linked.

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694
I'm pretty sure the matchup hasn't changed too much since we tested it, although I'm starting to think you'd have an easier time challenging the nair now that its hitboxes have been toned down to sane levels. Killing the Luma cleanly would benefit the Falcon significantly more as well.

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694
I think patience is key here, Jiggs is able to exploit that corner Rosa really struggles to cover. A patient Jiggs who can bait out Up smashes can wreak havoc on Rosa. Another matchup I like to keep Luma close to try and cover up that hole that Jiggs can exploit. Shileding seems to be strong here, unless Jiggs mixes in pound. Grabbing after the shield seems to be what I get lockied into. This is another farily tough match up for Rosa.
Perhaps it's because I haven't faced a good Jigglypuff, or perhaps it has gotten significantly worse post patch, but I don't really think this is in Puff's favor whatsoever. She's an aerial focused character, who is outclassed in the air by someone with an arguably better ground game. That said, the rest punishes are brutal, as Rosalina is fairly easy to KO off the top, and dies to rest painfully early. I'd say maybe 60 / 65 - 40 / 35 Rosa's favor.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Rosalina can U-Air Jiggly for days and it will actually KO Jiggly really early.

All that really needs to be said.

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694
As someone who plays both, it's hard to say who is favored here. On one hand, Charizard is that big heavy target that Rosalina loves to combo, yet on the other hand, Charizard can just Flare Blitz shield and kill Luma from anywhere. I think it just comes down to the individuals; if the Rosalina is too predictable, she should lose.

Edit: Charizard just has a great assortment of punish tools. He can super armor most approaches, as well as punish from a distance with Flare blitz. Not to mention his most potent method of KOing is off the top, which is a great asset to have against a Rosalina player.

As the Rosalina player, I would keep Luma out for the majority of the time, providing a pseudo wall against Flare Blitz, capitalize on any laggy moves, and generally wall Charizard out.

Anyone else have any thoughts on the MU?

Last edited:

Cel

Smash Cadet
Short hop aerials work very well vs puff. If puff goes high, fair is a good option as well. Essentially puff will approach from the air almost all the time so retreating aerials are some of the best options. For smashes, always angle forwsrd smash upwards in most cases and down smash is pretty terrible so it's usually not a good idea to go for it. Tilts aren't the best in the matchup really. Also, never jab for very long because puff pops out pretty fast and will punish you for it.

Cel

Smash Cadet
Vs charizard, keep your distance; force him to come to you. Starbits (assuming you can't use customs) are one of the best options once he does get near you and jab is very good in the matchup. Once you get a hit or two when you are close, distance yourself again and stick to this playstyle (you don't want to trade with him). Go for downairs a lot when he is off stage as it limits his options.

Last edited:

Cel

Smash Cadet
I've found the best rule of thumb to follow vs ness is stay out of the air. Just don't do it because it generally will hurt you more than it will help. On the ground, ness's projectiles are relatively slow so you can utilize a keep away strategy pretty effectively. Fair is a bit unsafe vs ness from what I've found but nair works pretty well as a zoning tool. Stay out of situations when you can get grabbed for the entire game because grab follow ups will get you screwed over very fast, and of course, we all know about the back throw. I won't even waste space talking about the gimping, we all know this too.

Last edited:

Cel

Smash Cadet
For sonic, as sad as it sounds, I've found using the noob strategy of hang near the edge of the stage and react to approaches is the best. Just be sure to mix up how you react to his approaches to avoid getting read and punished, which seems to be how sonic deals most of his damage (approach mix up > punish > combo if possible). In the air (because you will end up here a lot when you do get hit) don't try to challenge sonic very much, just aim to get back down, because one mistake when the percents are getting higher can lead to you getting up air killed or juggled and this another way how sonics will deal most of their damage. To challenge sonics approaches, short hop nair works well l, but don't try to do it on reaction because you will likely get hit. Rather when you see the sonic trying to approach, throw them out early. Worst case scenario is the sonic does not come all the way near you , and if you read this happening, punish. Another good option if you see the sonic trying to approach is Luma shot because it will either hit them, keep them away, or force them to jump, and if you see the jump, you can react with a punish. If the sonic DOES get past your wall and gets near you, unless you have a good read on what they will do next, just shield and make space to avoid getting punished or grabbed.

Last edited:

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694
I've found the best way to approach it is to not have a neutral game whatsoever. From the moment he spawns, you should be trying to take a stock for the simple fact that it really is easy to do. Once he's offstage without his second jump, Ness just dies to the magnificence that is Rosalina's down-b IWinButton. Just play the matchup like Little Mac with a projectile, and you shouldn't have any problems taking the win. Probably one of Rosalina's best matchups.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I've found the best way to approach it is to not have a neutral game whatsoever. From the moment he spawns, you should be trying to take a stock for the simple fact that it really is easy to do. Once he's offstage without his second jump, Ness just dies to the magnificence that is Rosalina's down-b IWinButton. Just play the matchup like Little Mac with a projectile, and you shouldn't have any problems taking the win. Probably one of Rosalina's best matchups.
Agreed, Rosalina's goal should be to force his Up B as often as possible.

That'll be difficult, like @ Cel Cel said about how much a hassle he is in the air, but this is one of his worst matchups I think because that's a constantly looming threat.

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694
Agreed, Rosalina's goal should be to force his Up B as often as possible.

That'll be difficult, like @ Cel Cel said about how much a hassle he is in the air, but this is one of his worst matchups I think because that's a constantly looming threat.
What I'm trying to say is, the matchup would still be in Rosalina's favor because it doesn't matter how much damage she takes. Ness spawns at death percent. As long as you play around back throw, you should be able to take the first stock handedly and carry the advantage into the next.

Cel

Smash Cadet
I actually love this and the the regular link matchup (used to hate the crap out of I though) because there is a practically auto win strategy vs them. Ready for it?

Disclaimer: this is only if you are concerned about winning and not fun.

Jump, A LOT. If you see arrows or the boomerang coming and they aren't too close to you, Gravity pull. If you see a bomb coming, jump (DO NOT gravity pull it). If the link player is getting close, regardless of what they are doing, jump away. Now you might be asking yourself, if I'm just staying away, how do I actually win? Well, eventually the link player will do something laggy and then you punish the **** out of them. The best part is, you only have to do this once or twice because once you have enough of a lead (percent or stock) you no longer even have to try to find that laggy moment. Now you stay the **** away and time their ass out. And by jumping away from everything, as long as you aren't predictable in the air, avoid their aerials (easy if you are smart), and don't ever try to challenge their up air (if you mess up you will get hit, and lose some of your lead), it's just a matter of passing time, because by doing this right, you've already won. If you do lose the lead, rolls work very well to get in and land some percent.

Last edited:

Iron Kraken

Smash Journeyman
Sonic is my least favorite character to play against by far. I'm forced to play totally differently from all of my other matches. Rather than being aggressive, I just stand there and react to what Sonic does. Often that means using the shield button, and then chasing Sonic down after he bounces off my shield. Other than that, I try to take advantage of Rosalina's long-range hits, like down-tilt, because Sonic can't cover that range.

If Sonic is holding a spin, I'll immediately rush to the area towards the area directly above Sonic, that's the area that Sonic can't cover with his spin, so it's the safest place to head towards.

I use to really struggle against Sonic to be honest, but once I took a totally defensive approach I didn't have too much trouble with it. But it's annoying as **** to play. Pretty much all the Sonic matches I play end up being close to a time out.

I should note that this applies to Sonics who basically just spam the hell out of spin attacks, which is the vast majority of Sonics I play. If Sonic isn't spamming spin attack like crazy, then I'll play the match up more like I would a normal match up with Rosalina.

Last edited:

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694
@ Locke 06 Locke 06 and I have played hundreds of Megaman / Rosalina. It definitely feels even despite the gut reaction to say "But down b!". One thing that makes the Blue Bomber different from other projectile heavy characters is he can easily weave in and out while using them. He can stay at such a range throwing diagonally down metal blades, such that using gravitational pull lands him a guaranteed aerial. Of course, he also has a fairly easy time taking out Luma with the majority of his ranged moves ( most are piercing, so shielding them hurts Luma ). His KO game is respectable as well, as a single successful roll means dying off the top to an up tilt.

This matchup almost feels like it's terrible for both characters. Rosalina has complete immunity to Megaman's bread and butter up air juggles, and can force a stale mate if the Megaman chooses to camp the ledge with projectiles. However, Rosalina can't rely on her strong aerials as I'd say Megaman has the better air game, as I've had numerous occasions of b-air outprioritizing nair and fair ( prepatch too! ), so a smart opponent will challenge you air to air. I'd say for a Rosalina to win, she'll need to abuse the Luma-canceled aerials and pressure Megaman while he's on the ground, and eventually carry him off the sides for a kill.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Mega Man matches always feel completely in my favour unless my opponent is of a much higher skill level than me in general, which has only happened to me once with Mega Man.

So I'd say it's in Rosalina's favour. Down B forces him to approach, and Mega Man does not really have the speed to punish you for using the move in most situations. And his close range options are very, very limited. They are effective enough, but they are too limited to do much to you.

Sending Luma out towards him makes things even worse for him, since now he has to deal with a fighter at close range whom doing damage to is irrelevant. Pretty much anything he does to Luma will get punished by Rosalina at this point. You can even use U-Tilt to make Luma dodge his projectiles (a technique I practice against many characters). So "just shoot Luma" isn't as surefire a strategy as it sounds.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
http://smashboards.com/threads/how-do-you-beat-rosalina-with-mega-man.377742/ - This might help you guys out a bit (from the Mega Man boards)

The utilt dodging of projectiles is an interesting idea that I haven't seen as a Mega Man main. The problem with sending Luma out is twofold: Mega Man can stay a safe distance away from Luma and still do damage as it is very vulnerable to a charged megabuster shot (which I think is big enough that utilt dodging won't work) while SH BAir and dtilt will send Luma into tumble, and Rosalina is so tall that, without Luma, she loses to lemon pressure. Down-B shouldn't make anyone approach unless they're impatient. If you are consistently Grav Pulling against crash bomb pressure, you're reacting to Mega Man, which means he has initiative/is in a better position than you are. Like Parcheesy said, it really helps to have for uair juggles as well as saving Luma from charge shots, but it's not a huge factor in this matchup as it takes very little time for Mega Man to "reload."

Something that Parcheesy didn't mention is that Mega Man's edge guarding game is very strong. Recover high and not far enough away, and you'll eat an uppercut which kills around 70%. BAir can deny you the ledge as it stays out long enough and launches at a low enough angle not to assist your recovery in any way.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I don't think experience against one, or even a few Rosalina mains is enough to call the entire match-up though.

The thing about Rosalina that people don't realise is that she has a ton of utility and can be played in a lot of different ways. Some Rosalina players have a very set in stone playstyle, which means they have trouble against specific characters. However, me personally, I don't have trouble against any specific character as Rosalina, except for a high Aura Lucario (and that's because high Aura Lucario is straight up BS no matter who you're playing as). Because I don't have a set in stone way of using her, I generally just go with the flow.

I generally just need some time to develop as many ways as possible to play against different characters, and then I start beating them. And that's going with online play, I'd be able to handle some characters (like high Aura Lucario) a lot better if I didn't have to deal with input lag or anything, which has the noticeable effect of screwing up my air dodges (a very underrated tool of Rosalina's).

While I don't mean this in a way against Parcheesy or anything, nobody should ever say they have the Rosalina match up down from just playing one or a few Rosalina mains. One Rosalina player may play totally differently than another. This applies to other characters, but tenfold to Rosalina.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
I don't think experience against one, or even a few Rosalina mains is enough to call the entire match-up though.

While I don't mean this in a way against Parcheesy or anything, nobody should ever say they have the Rosalina match up down from just playing one or a few Rosalina mains. One Rosalina player may play totally differently than another. This applies to other characters, but tenfold to Rosalina.
Of course. I don't think Parcheesy (or myself for that matter) was trying to say he knows the whole match-up, but rather just his thoughts/ideas on based on his experience. I don't think I have the match-up down, but it's better than playing only a few matches with different people. He knows what I can do/how I play, and I know what he can do/how he plays and we adjust accordingly.

Edit: If anyone is interested in playing some Rosalina v mega man matches, let me know.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom