• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I'm tired of waiting for his fate they just need to announce it!! Anyways say ridley, mewtwo, and any other villain don't make the cut does that make bowser jr the only new villain. Especially if you exclude wolf that would be terrible.
Mewtwo is not a villain, so if it is in the game, it will not mean much for the "villains quota" :p

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
hey it could have been!
We didn't even get a Zelda reveal after Hyrule Warriors (we found out we could play as Ganondorf yet he still isn't announced for Smash yet *officially*). If Nintendo passed up a golden opportunity like revealing Ganondorf after the Hyrule warriors direct, the chances of them tacking a completely unrelated character reveal to a 3rd party game direct are pretty much non existent, even if it was one as popular as Ridley, if anything it could have potentially stole the direct's thunder, in a manner of speaking.

Xenorange

Smash Lord
Double Post Warning Received
So what do we think? Are we getting more characters will one of them be Ridley?

Mewtwo is not a villain, so if it is in the game, it will not mean much for the "villains quota" :p
He was kind of a villain initially and that's what people cling too (myself included) because it's nostalgic to think so. I don't have anything against the new Mewtwo I just like the original Mewtwo more because of my childhood. If a villains trailer happens I have a feeling that Mewtwo would be in it. Not to mention the evil laugh he had in melee. How could you hear that and think "what a damn patriotic hero this man is".

Last edited by a moderator:

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
So what do we think? Are we getting more characters will one of them be Ridley?
Hate having to use the leaks, but given that the Bowser Jr footage is pretty much legit, and there's remaining unofficial announced vets like Ganondorf. I think the chances of more characters seems like a guarantee. The only problem is since Pyrosphere seems to be a Wii U exclusive they haven't said much to potentially focus on it later closer to to the Wii U release, but after teasing Ridley in it I think we'll find out the truth sooner. Unless he is a stage boss and playable.

Well that's debatable :p
True, I always saw Mewtwo as a tragic villain in the first pokemon movie, he may not have been born evil (based off the flashbacks in the lab), but in the movie he was pretty cruel to the trainer's pokemon and trainers themself, never mind kidnapping Nurse joy to use as a puppet.

Ridley on the other hand is a flat out villian with no redeeming bone in his body, but I can kind of see where people are coming from with Mewtwo. Just hope they don't give Ridley a tragic back story.

Last edited:

Xenorange

Smash Lord
Hate having to use the leaks, but given that the Bowser Jr footage is pretty much legit, and there's remaining unofficial announced vets like Ganondorf. I think the chances of more characters seems like a guarantee. The only problem is since Pyrosphere seems to be a Wii U exclusive they haven't said much to potentially focus on it later closer to to the Wii U release, but after teasing Ridley in it I think we'll find out the truth sooner. Unless he is a stage boss and playable.
When I say more characters I mean ones that weren't on the leaked roster.

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
When I say more characters I mean ones that weren't on the leaked roster.
Well in that case I guess it depends how safe the demo's that are being distributed in Japan are, if I heard correctly. If they are the compete build of the game then they could potentially be data mined for hints of Ridley's inclusion or lack of.

Last edited:

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
Other M developers. It is from Metroid Other M, his walking animation. It was ripped for this gif by SkinOfTheMoon from deviantArt. I can make a better gif, with normal beak and better textures. And just not that...um...don't remember how it is called...
Thanks. I didn't know that ! Thought it would be someone likes AngelGlorys work

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
10 days or less! There will be silence, then uproar, then troll napalm and then . . . silence once again.

Dracandros

Smash Cadet
I don't think anyone quite knows what Nintendo is doing. Between the 3DS and Wii U we know they don't like brand differentiation. From continuing to cater primarily to Japan, where dying home console sales is hitting home seemingly the hardest, they are putting the Wii U under more pressure than it deserves. In fact, by catering mostly to Japan they are hurting their sales a lot all round to be completely honest, all this marketing effort for Smash 4 would be best suited to a worldwide release, but no, Japan get it 20 odd days earlier. Nothing like singling out ~1/5th of your market for special treatment to make effective use of marketing dollars.
Forgive me for not responding earlier as I was at work at the time, but thank you for your posts. Thank you JaidynReiman as well - that makes sense to me.

I agree with what you are saying. There is no going back on how the Wii U was marketed and promoted right from the beginning, while I didn't have any problem with the first 3DS launch I am still baffled with the New 3DS scenario, and while it's truly sad that the economy is still down everywhere right now most of the money is simply not in Japan. This marketing just makes so little sense.

Class of Heroes 2 for the PSP took a few hours to produce 4000 or so physical copies. That was probably done on a few machines at most and while the 3DS carts contain much more data and are produced differently it still isn't going to be much different (data size being important of course). They probably won't have the time to add exclusive characters or to create an emergency patch - it's Ridley for all or Ridley for none. The only good possibility I can think of for this 3DS delay is this they wanted to avoid the games coming out in late September (FIFA 15).

The Wii U's situation only gives so much more validity to the possibility of content that will be available on the Wii U version without an unlock code or DLC. It might explain Ridley and Mewtwo's complete disappearance at the least. It's a good way for Nintendo to make money and it doesn't cost them much to implement.

I've given up on trying to pick a date when we'll know Ridley's role or roles partially because of things like this. We can calculate odds for a long while but I would need a bigger monitor to fit it all on one page or read it when I'm done.

Last edited:

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
It might not happen at launch, but if Nintendo won't make DLC for Smash, they are beyond stupid. It says something about a fighter roster, when the Assist Trophies are more interesting than 80% of the newcomers...

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
Damn the leaks thread is so pessimistic.

People straw grasp against more characters sometimes over there. I don't even know anymore.

Anything new over here?

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
Hey guys we're finding out Ridley's fate in less than 10 days? Is anyone excited?
I don't know, I'm still confident he's in, but now there's barley enough time for him to get an awesome trailer, so I don't know. I guess a secret character would be fine, but secret characters are usually reserved for clones. So, I'm just hoping for one last trailer with out space buddy.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
Honestly, I think I may be leaning towards Ridley being a Wii U version launch character.

I may make a huge mega post about this later. But at this point it just adds up so well.
Sakurai will want to draw out that tease as long as possible, and a Smash Wii U direct would be the perfect place to do it.

We'll see

CHUBUNATO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CHUBUNATO
3DS FC
2277-6893-1304
Hey guys we're finding out Ridley's fate in less than 10 days? Is anyone excited?
Since i been working this week it seems like the wait is just getting longer and longer.. :(

Thanks. I didn't know that ! Thought it would be someone likes AngelGlorys work
Yooo Relax love ya videos man

Damn the leaks thread is so pessimistic.

People straw grasp against more characters sometimes over there. I don't even know anymore.

Anything new over here?
One guy said that they seen Ridley's shadow in todays POTD

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Well, this was posted in the Krystal thread, but it could prove useful:

So among the new info from the latest Famitsu magazine was a list of every character officially revealed so far. And believe it or not...it's a problem.

Notice how they're in the same order as the leaked CSS? If they're using that order elsewhere...it really hurts the odds of them being willing to rearrange the CSS, meaning that any unknown newcomers would have to fit within it.

That actually doesn't hurt our chances much...but there's something else to consider that I brought up a while back.

Let's assume Star Fox or Pokemon had one character yet to be revealed. R.O.B. would move down a spot, with just barely enough room to fit (since we can clearly see the second-lowest row has room for only one more character as-is). It'd be an unusual move, since it'd separate retro characters R.O.B. and DHD, but not out of the question considering how Mr. Game & Watch is way off in the middle of nowhere on the top right.

Let's say they did want to keep them together, though, or that we had two newcomers from Star Fox and Pokemon combined...or perhaps a character from one or the other and then Bandana Dee, forcing Little Mac to slide down a row. Regardless of the reason, R.O.B. and DHD would both move down a row...and overcrowd the second-lowest row. Someone would have to move down...which raises another question: would they be willing to separate the clones into two rows?

If not, they'd all go to the bottom row...which would present other problems. The bottom row has room for four more squares, so they'd fit...but it'd leave the bottom row with one more square than the row above it, an aesthetically awkward move they might not be willing to do.

There's also something else to take into account...where would the Mii Fighters' square go when customizations were on? The menu screenshot we saw was presumably for customizing--one option to create a Mii Fighter, the other to pick alternate specials and equipment for characters. Wouldn't there need to be a way to select the Mii Fighters from the CSS, at the very least for if you wanted to play against a computer-controlled one? Because if so...they'd make more sense to be right next to random, which would fill the bottom row and leave a gap on each side of the second-lowest row that'd look just as bad. They could add the Mii Fighters' square to the second-lowest row, next to the Wii Fit Trainer, but it wouldn't make quite as much sense to put the game's create-a-character anywhere but last.

So unless Nintendo throws another curveball at us and turns out to be willing to rearrange the CSS after all, or will at least rearrange more characters that are their franchise's sole reps than just G-Dub, or somehow adds another column...it'd be very hard for there to be more newcomers. The good news is, Krystal would plausibly work...but she'd be up against the likes of Wolf, Sceptile, and freaking Mewtwo.

That preview snapshot up top contains characters in the exact same order of the supposed starting roster, and the leak.

...there's just one problem. Lucina was moved up next to Robin. I think this plain proves that at least the clones will move to be up by their respective franchises. That also means Dr. Mario would have to go up next to the Mario characters, either forcing Game and Watch to the next line and also Zero Suit Samus, or they'd need to add a new column to fit Dr. Mario in the top.

Which also means: plenty of room for Ridley (along with K. Rool and Dixie Kong, among others) to fit into the roster. ^^

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
Do you guys think it's possible that the 3ds won't have the full roster, and it will only be completed when the wii u version launches? Maybe they're holding back on more characters until the wii u version is out, and when it is, the 3ds version will get an update (or maybe a dlc pack) that puts the entire roster?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Do you guys think it's possible that the 3ds won't have the full roster, and it will only be completed when the wii u version launches? Maybe they're holding back on more characters until the wii u version is out, and when it is, the 3ds version will get an update (or maybe a dlc pack) that puts the entire roster?
I think its possible, but highly unlikely. Rather, I think the 3DS will have the full roster, and they'll just do other things with the Wii U version to get people to buy it. As far as the roster itself goes, definitely more characters than what we've seen.

So what's happening in 10 days?
The game is released in Japan.

Last edited:

Blackflamedragon

Smash Apprentice
I think its possible, but highly unlikely. Rather, I think the 3DS will have the full roster, and they'll just do other things with the Wii U version to get people to buy it. As far as the roster itself goes, definitely more characters than what we've seen.

The game is released in Japan.
I thought it came out yesterday?

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
That's what I was thinking, maybe like a new story mode or something for the wii u. I hope we get the full character roster with the 3ds launch. It makes more sense to get the characters first in the 3ds, then the new modes and stuff with the wii u.

I just wanted to point out the possibility of them holding out the full roster. :-)

Last edited:

Darkraid

Smash Champion
Honestly, I think I may be leaning towards Ridley being a Wii U version launch character.

I may make a huge mega post about this later. But at this point it just adds up so well.
Sakurai will want to draw out that tease as long as possible, and a Smash Wii U direct would be the perfect place to do it.

We'll see
The way the CSS is shaped. I think the 4chan leak might be correct. But the remaining chars are locked in the 3DS version until Wii U version comes out. That's my take on it. Still believe in the 4chan leak.

Mansana

Smash Apprentice

We'll see
I made the same assumption a while ago. I think Sakurai would do this to add hype to the game. In my previous speculation I stated that if Ridley were not to appear on the 3DS version that the last straw I would grab would be that Ridley is DLC only to hypothetically add more emphasis on selling the Wii U version. Ridley will be playable on the Wii U disc along with other unannounced characters such as Mewtwo, ???, etc. It's all a marketing tactic. Both versions will still receive the same characters.

It's a way of hyping a game that is technically already out. This is done to most likely secure sales for both versions. I'm not sure why they would do this type of marketing if from my own observation, people who have the 3DS version will 100% want the Wii U version as well. But that is too unscientific to say that in the least. I am no marketing expert, but if that is what Nintendo is planning on doing, I think it's a smart move despite my belief that both versions will sell well anyways.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I know but it just accrued to do you think baineta has a shot
We don't talk about Bayoneta in the Ridley thread. We talk about Ridley. If you want to talk about Bayoneta, go to the Bayoneta thread or the Official Character Discussion Thread.

Hmm... seems no one noticed my comment. I thought I made a pretty good discovery thanks to the help of @Delzethin from the Krystal thread.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Wait but the last trailer is due on October 3
No, there is no trailer (that we're aware of) planned for October 3. It was only an email announcing that Smash Bros. 3DS would be available on Midnight October 3, and also stating at the bottom "by the way, we've added a new character trailer and info to the Smash website, take a look!"

I do think that if Ridley was to be officially announced, it'd be to promote the Smash 3DS in the west (we'll probably know if he's playable well before that point, though), or in a "Big 3" trailer.

Top Bottom