• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
Sakurai already said there would be no differences in the roster.
And there aren't. The games will have the same roster this way.

You have to read that post I linked to get what I'm even saying and obviously you didn't.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I can see Sakurai postponing character unlocks until the Wii U version releases, but I can't see him making it so that you HAVE to get the Wii U version to get all the characters on 3DS.
That's what I'm thinking as well. It's clear that some of the roster is not going to be revealed when the 3DS version is released, so they're probably going to continue revealing characters after release, perhaps to hype up the Wii U version (after all, we may know what the whole roster is once the 3DS version comes out, but we won't have seen those hidden characters in beautiful HD).

Freduardo

Smash Champion
I can see Sakurai postponing character unlocks until the Wii U version releases, but I can't see him making it so that you HAVE to get the Wii U version to get all the characters on 3DS.
I could also see it being paid DLC on the 3DS that comes free if you register Smash Wii U with club Nintendo.

VenomSymbiote

Smash Journeyman
I really don't like that idea though. I mean, it could happen, but I would feel screwed over because I only have a 3DS and dont want to get a WiiU, Even if it is for RIDLEY.
This is another reason I don't think it's likely. Nintendo wants to push the Wii U but they also don't want to piss off the 3DS userbase. A free update with the characters I could maybe see, but since Sakurai has said he's not going to even think about DLC until both versions are done and out the door it seems unlikely.

What's funny is I just don't really know what to expect. The roster doesn't seem finished, it's a bit messy, and not even Mewtwo was in it for how popular he and Pokemon are? It really does seem unfinished. Then you have Sakurai specifically stating that All Star will have a lock on it until all characters are unlocked, which many feel is acknowledging the leak but also saying "you don't know everything". Yet part of me keeps dipping into skepticism and doubt. Maybe out of nervousness that there are no more surprises?

Either way if this all turns out how none of the supporters in this thread want it to, I'll probably write Nintendo a useless email or letter describing my distaste for their handling of Ridley and Metroid fans who've wanted him in for a while. It won't do anything, obviously, but at least I'd be venting, and I couldn't say I didn't let them know how I felt. I'd write to Bill too if I could just cause he's the marketing head at Nintendo if I'm not mistaken.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Alright, I'm gonna make this post. I may add some links in places later on, but for now, let me explain myself.

Whether or not the 3DS version has more characters not seen in the leak, I believe Ridley will be released alongside the Wii U version.

First of all, before I continue, I recommend reading this thread's OP. It explains why my argument below even has any merit.

Why? Well there's many reasons that lead me to here, let me name a few.

If you read the thread above. You would see the ever looming theme of East vs West and 3DS vs Wii U. Basically what this is saying is that each version will cater to a specific audience in terms of "Exclusive" characters. If you notice on the 3DS version, we have characters that include Dark Pit, Lucina, and Shulk. Besides their niche American fanbase, these characters are unanimously categorized as Eastern characters. Then we have characters such as Ridley that are practically only have a fanbase in the Western area. Which, obviously, includes Ridley.

If there's one thing Sakurai will want to do with Ridley, it's draw out the teasing as long as possible. This is why I believe that once Sakurai and the team were at the conclusion of Wii U characters, the plan to start teasing began. I'll admit, I never said it... but ever since E3, I've had a feeling that Sakurai will draw this out up until Wii U release date. I've always had this hunch that somehow this will happen, and once I read the thread above, everything fit together like puzzle pieces.

What does Sakurai's teasing revolve around? Pyrosphere. Where is Pyrosphere? On the Wii U version. Now if the 3DS version just launches with Ridley without any sort of closure, then why tease Ridley on Pyrosphere in the first place? Obviously the first instinct is that "Well he's the boss on that stage", and that's obviously a whole 'nother argument, but I'm arguing from the opinion that he's playable.

If Nintendo reveals Ridley as playable before we get closure on Pyrosphere, the tease was useless in the first place

This is why I'm am almost positive that he will be a launch character on the WIi U version, along with Mewtwo and maybe a few more characters.

As seen in the thread above, the only way to convince/hype people for the Wii U version is characters. And I feel like the reason they're holding so much back about the Wii U's modes and exclusive features is for a Nintendo Direct before the Wii U version's release. And the only reason people will ever care for that is for the characters.

Now how will they do this? Personally, I see them having the characters be timed exclusives for the Wii U version, which if you already own the Wii U version, can transfer over to the 3DS version with the "Wii U to 3DS" button seen on the 3DS' Menus. And after two weeks, you will need to pay $5-$10 to access those characters on the 3DS without the Wii U version. This isn't screwing 3DS owners over, you're getting content planned to only be for people with both versions at a small cost. But it makes sense due to needing to sell Wii U games.

Personally, I feel this will work the same way for Wii U owners and not just be an obstacle for 3DS only owners. I'm not sure how exactly, but someway there will be an incentive to purchase 3DS version even when you only have the Wii U one (with of course, said exclusive items being available for a payment on the Wii U version)

(Also it makes too much sense to have one of the Wii U characters trailer's include Snake with a "Keptcha Waiting Huh?")
Sounds like a cheap way to sell both versions of the game. They are expensive and not many could afford it. Its like that extra pokemons thing in first Pokemon games, but A LOT worse. Or if you would need to buy at least one game with character playable in SSB64 to unlock him/her. Maybe it would even cost as much. I hope it won't happen.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Its the final remaining days to finally discover Ridleys fate in this game. All the debates we all have had with detractors/haters on the internet better not go to waist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Lcpd0lhYMQI
This is it!!!
This music is only recomended to be played at Sunday night when thinking about Monday morning.

Use this instead:

I'm actually playing SPM for first time so, I'm feeling hype with this music.

But really, here's one thing I want to know:

After verdict (which is confirmed very likely), how much time it will take for the internet to take it?

Like, a month maybe? It's going to be hard for several people to pass trough the phase of grief of accepting the existence of Ridley as playable and sized to be so.

Or maybe they will keep complain and we'll have to wait a year idk.

Zawaz132

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Zawaz132
You guys aughta know - who made the Ridley Struttin Gif? I wanna credit them in a video

(Don't worry, it isn't another Ridley Debate one ;) )
Are you talking about the wrestling gif with Ridley's glorious face? Because that would have been me back on page 1530. Here's the original post.
Alright, that gif is begging to have roidley's face plastered right on it. It's almost too perfect. Someone please, for the reveal, for the forum, for the world.
Ask and you shall receive. I hope this doesn't go unnoticed. I actually put a lot of effort into this >.>

Sorry for the poor quality. Also, not Roidley. But w/e
If you're talking about another gif, then I guess I'll just return to my corner and be quiet...

AlexTLW

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AlexTLW
3DS FC
0688-5455-7010
This music is only recomended to be played at Sunday night when thinking about Monday morning.

Use this instead:

I'm actually playing SPM for first time so, I'm feeling hype with this music.

But really, here's one thing I want to know:

After verdict (which is confirmed very likely), how much time it will take for the internet to take it?

Like, a month maybe? It's going to be hard for several people to pass trough the phase of grief of accepting the existence of Ridley as playable and sized to be so.

Or maybe they will keep complain and we'll have to wait a year idk.
that a good piece of music but the Majoras mask final hours is fitting because it gives us that feeling the inevitable apocalypse is coming and its coming soon. When we learn Ridleys fate, we ether get a devastating earth shattering dis confirmation or an earth shattering confirmation to the haters.

btw how do I post videos on here and spoiler tags?

Last edited:

Zynux

Smash Lord
We're increasing getting closer to the "Danger Zone," the time where retails sometimes breaks street date (highly unlikely for the Japanese, but still possible).

Clench your claws butts.

---

So the one character that most people have wanted to see playable for more than 10+ years, one so popular that even Nintendo is aware of it, and is the source of most speculation for this game ever since last year, is only going to be on one version of the game...? The character that's been teased heavily by Sakurai, but never clarified on what he is, with Nintendo fanning the flames even further in their tweets (Bill Trinen)?

The character that's made appearances in every Smash game so far, from a cameo in the Planet Zebes stage on the 64 version, to two boss fights in the SSE (which is touted as the main feature of Brawl), is only going to be some random stage gimmick on the Wii U version? While lesser villains like the YD and Metal Face get to be on both versions?

Wat
As I've said before, this whole scenario is hilariously ridiculous marketing. Especially if Ridley turns out not to be playable.

That's why if Ridley is indeed non-playable, we as a collective need to get some answers immediately.

However, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Ridley isn't playable though. We're trying to argue from logic and reason but the past decade Nintendo and Sakurai has collective shown anything but. :ohwell:

I have also wanted Ridley for many years, ever since the Melee opening; however, the constant mockery and trolling of a few is no excuse to assert defensive communication against every single individual that does not believe he is in the game. It is not practical, effective, or logical and it also reflects badly on all Ridley supporters in general.

Why is it that everyone who comes in here and debates for more than five minutes leaves whilst stating something to the effect of, "no wonder the Ridley thread is looked down upon, circle-jerk supporters in denial, why is this topic not locked... it is a lot of off-topic spam"? No reasonable arguments are consistently presented to them, the second post is actually the worst thing that has happened to this thread. It is not a compilation of all evidence in Ridley's favor. It is a lot of shadow analysis so that we do not afford detractors the respect they deserve in terms of debating Ridley. The post is not concise by any stretch of the imagination and no one sane is going to bother reading the fluff on an entirely subjective notion just to discuss the prospect of a character in Smash. Instead of addressing their arguments, they are laughed at and ridiculed themselves. I was not present during the "Waluigi is more prominent than Ridley" issue, I did read back and find that, as per usual, his posts were misconstrued (straw-man fallacy) and everyone in the thread responded, most did not even attempt to refute his established argument either.

I do not understand it in the slightest. I suppose I am more aware of the repercussions because if I am involved in the discussion at all, the detractor sends ME a personal message to ask me questions about this thread and how it is conducted as they tend to recognize that I am not like the others. I do not ask them to go read something before I grace them with my own arguments, I do not question their competence, I do not ignore their perspectives, and I sometimes defend them as; more likely than not, they are ganged up on. After that, they tell me that they will avoid this thread as it is a plague on Smashboards, or they leave the website in general because their first impression of this site was desecrated for no apparent reason at all. Of course we are here, daily. We deal with detractors all the time. They do not; however, have that same experience. For some reason it is common knowledge that they should not detract because it bothers us, "maybe you should not come into a thread of supporters and expect us to welcome you with open arms." Honestly, it is so bad that I see people on other websites not related to Smash that do not want Ridley because of the fan-base. Word of mouth, word of mouth.

I apologize, but this sentiment is utterly fallacious. The problem is US. Not everyone else.
/Rant
This ****ing post is glorious. Yeah, Ridley fans get too riled up. Dissenting opinions aren't a big deal at all; I don't know why everyone here has a huge problem with it. If you don't want to argue against them, then don't post. It's that simple.

With that said though, this is why you never base your opinions on characters from certain individuals and generalize them, whether supporters or detractors.

Damn the leaks thread is so pessimistic.

People straw grasp against more characters sometimes over there. I don't even know anymore.
I understand what you mean, but a part of me can't blame them too. They're only going on the information that they have.

Honestly, I think I may be leaning towards Ridley being a Wii U version launch character.

I may make a huge mega post about this later. But at this point it just adds up so well.
Sakurai will want to draw out that tease as long as possible, and a Smash Wii U direct would be the perfect place to do it.

We'll see
As I said before in the Official Character Thread, prettier graphics, local 4-player and slightly different modes are not enough to sell a more expensive version of the game with a far lower install base (that is, many of the people that want the Wii U version will have to shill out tons of cash on a Wii U first, compared to the far cheaper 3DS), especially when a cheaper alternative (the 3DS version) is available.

Before, I used to laugh at those marketing theories of the Wii U having timed exclusive characters, but now I'm starting to see it (or something similar) being a huge probability.

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
that a good piece of music but the Majoras mask final hours is fitting because it gives us that feeling the inevitable apocalypse is coming and its coming soon. When we learn Ridleys fate, we ether get a devastating earth shattering dis confirmation or an earth shattering confirmation to the haters.

btw how do I post videos on here and spoiler tags?
Videos: click the 2 paper thingy button and it will ask a media URL, just paste the youtube video URL.

Spoiler: [ spoiler=the tittle in the spoiler bar ] text enclosed in spoler [ /spoiler ] Remove the space. You could also replace spoiler by collapse it does the same thing, but match the tags together.

If you're unsure, click on more options then preview.

As for final hours, I realised how powerful this music is in the depressing department by getting that just listening to it was EXACTLY my feeling when I had to sleep on Sunday only to wake up and end the comfort of week end on Monday. It's the only music that managed to explain to me what I couldn't explain this feel.

So, for me, it means that something bad will happen that is really powerful, but unavoidable. I know Ridley wouldn't be deconfirmed most likely, so that's why you only need intensity without having a depressed feel.

Tough, this is how sceptical will feel:

PeterJude

Smash Ace
As I said before in the Official Character Thread, prettier graphics, local 4-player and slightly different modes are not enough to sell a more expensive version of the game with a far lower install base (that is, many of the people that want the Wii U version will have to shill out tons of cash on a Wii U first, compared to the far cheaper 3DS), especially when a cheaper alternative (the 3DS version) is available.
This is one of those things that confuses me about Nintendo. The Wii U needs sales, it needs those massive games, so what do they do? They release it on 3DS first, and focus the hype largely on about 1/5th of the market, have a 20 day delay, then release it to the rest of the market, then wait a few months, before releasing it on the console that desperately needs it.

They're cannibalizing potential Wii U sales for reasons I'm not entire sure of the cause of.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
We're increasing getting closer to the "Danger Zone," the time where retails sometimes breaks street date (highly unlikely for the Japanese, but still possible).

Clench your claws butts.
When you think about it, we're probably going to know the final roster before the game officially releases. We really don't have that much longer to wait.

AlexTLW

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AlexTLW
3DS FC
0688-5455-7010
Videos: click the 2 paper thingy button and it will ask a media URL, just paste the youtube video URL.

Spoiler: [ spoiler=the tittle in the spoiler bar ] text enclosed in spoler [ /spoiler ] Remove the space. You could also replace spoiler by collapse it does the same thing, but match the tags together.

If you're unsure, click on more options then preview.

As for final hours, I realised how powerful this music is in the depressing department by getting that just listening to it was EXACTLY my feeling when I had to sleep on Sunday only to wake up and end the comfort of week end on Monday. It's the only music that managed to explain to me what I couldn't explain this feel.

So, for me, it means that something bad will happen that is really powerful, but unavoidable. I know Ridley wouldn't be deconfirmed most likely, so that's why you only need intensity without having a depressed feel.

Tough, this is how sceptical will feel:

=thanks and to keep this on topic, Ridley for smash Nstuff

Last edited:

Blackflamedragon

Smash Apprentice
This is one of those things that confuses me about Nintendo. The Wii U needs sales, it needs those massive games, so what do they do? They release it on 3DS first, and focus the hype largely on about 1/5th of the market, have a 20 day delay, then release it to the rest of the market, then wait a few months, before releasing it on the console that desperately needs it.

They're cannibalizing potential Wii U sales for reasons I'm not entire sure of the cause of.
Ask yourself if it was between the wii u version and the 3ds and they came out at the same time
Whitch would you choose?

SmashWarrior202

Smash Cadet
NNID
Smashmatt202
3DS FC
1633-4497-7356
So uh yeah, Ridley, my most-wanted character for Super Smash Bros. He wasn't always tops on my list, when it came to Brawl King Dedede was number one (and he got in, yay), though this time around, he definitely rose up there. To me, there is no reason why he shouldn't be playable at this point. Metroid needs another non-Samus representitive, and Ridley is the best choice, given that he's appeared in the most games and how important he is to the games and Samus's backstory. Plus, he CAN have a good moveset, and no, it DOESN'T have to be a Charizard clone. Some people say it'd be too difficult, but even if that was the case, I think the extra worth is by far worth the effort. Even if Metroid isn't as popular in Japan as it is overseas, Sakurai HAS to know that people want him playable, there's just so much of an outcry for it! I just keep hoping, praying, even begging for this to be the case...

Because let me tell you, the debate will not end until he's playable. If he's not playable this time around, people will likely think that's the end of it, but no, it will NOT end until Ridley IS playable. Whether it be Super Smash Bros. 5, 6 or 128, the Ridley support will not stop nor will it end until they do the job! And really, like I said, there's no reason why he shouldn't be at this point.

Yes, I know about the shadow thing, and I could go on about misdirection and building up to something, but honestly, I'm just sick and tired of continuously, over and over again, having to repeat myself to new people who keep insisting Ridley's too big, he's not that important, he's a lame choice, he should stay a boss, and blah blah blah, like never did I even think that simply wanting a character playable will spark THIS much debate, spite, and hatred among Smash fans... It really gets me down.

Oh, and I manage a Facebook page supporting Ridley for Smash Bros. It's in my signature, if you're interested.

D

Deleted member

Ask yourself if it was between the wii u version and the 3ds and they came out at the same time
Whitch would you choose?
Hmmm, the only reason I would get the 3ds version is because of smash run, but I don't know if the wii u version has any special modes to offer yet. Meh, I would go with the wii u version, so I could play with all four players.(And it seems to have better stages, and I love the HD graphics.) But I'm going to buy both anyway.
RudySpino said:
So does anyone think Ridley will be BOTH a stage hazard and a character?
He's going to be either one or the other, IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Apparently Iwata wanted the game to be a 3DS exclusive, but Sakurai talked him into doing both versions. (probably saving Iwata's job for the umpteenth time)

This is something I've been bummed out about the entire time since E3 2013. Why is Nintendo's marketing plan so bad? The Wii U has about 6.2 million units sold, and is a flop this generation. It needs sales, and Smash Bros would've delivered, but the 3DS version happened. The 3DS releases first, meaning that the user base of about 40 million+ on the 3DS will probably buy just the 3DS version and pass the Wii U. Why spend $300 when you can spend $40? As for the "casuals" for lack of a better term, they will probably buy the 2DS and 3DS version. The Wii U has almost no selling point right now.

And the "New 3DS" and Gamecube adapter. Why weren't they announced alongside Smash Bros!?! Those things are literally made for Smash Bros, and Nintendo knows it. I know I'd feel cheated if I bought a 3DS and didn't have the money to drop on a New 3DS or Wii U/Gamecube adapter. I plan on getting only the Wii U version, but I might pick up the 3DS version as well, it depends on if I feel like jumping the gun.

Edit: I feel like one of the only reasons why the 3DS version exists is as a safety net for Nintendo since they might not believe in the Wii U, and they want some kind of cash from Smash Bros.

Last edited by a moderator:

PeterJude

Smash Ace
Whitch would you choose?
I would buy both at the same time, and be absolutely giddy for the next month or so.

I guess their hope is the HDness will drive sales, but it may not in Japan, and that's largely where their Wii U woes are. The 3DS is not struggling, they should have used the chance to drive the Wii U, but yet again their marketing side seems to be a bit hit and miss.

What's more is that a Japan exclusive release only serves to kill the hype somewhat. The hardcore base will sit and wait, desperately wanting the game, but "casual" element will just move on for the time being. Nintendo really need to modernise and realise that Japan isn't the sole market with the rest of the world being window dressing, Japan is, if anything, the window dressing, in comparison to the rest of the World release. Personally they should have been doing worldwide releases for all major games for the last decade, yet here we are, still having these dithered releases.

AlexTLW

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AlexTLW
3DS FC
0688-5455-7010
I dont think so. I have said it a million times so excuse me if anyone is getting annoyed by it.

I believe Sakurai absolutely trolling with that shadow. I believe that all the shadow comparisons these awesome people made on this website prove Ridley is only Bowser sized and Pyrosphere probably has a lava rising mechanic or some other stage boss that is not Ridley or any of his forms. just the thought of Ridely being character sized really makes you wonder why they didn't keep him at his Brawl size.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
As I've said before, this whole scenario is hilariously ridiculous marketing. Especially if Ridley turns out not to be playable.

That's why if Ridley is indeed non-playable, we as a collective need to get some answers immediately.

However, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Ridley isn't playable though. We're trying to argue from logic and reason but the past decade Nintendo and Sakurai has collective shown anything but. :ohwell:
Yeah. I have this feeling that Nintendo really is as half-brained as some of the detractors make them out to be. Like they don't understand the implications of needless speculation and false hope. For example:

Bill Trinen: "Hey! Some Nintendo fan just made a comment on my twitter page about wanting Ridley in SSB4! Even though I know that he isn't playable, I think I'm going to play along with him and troll him with a picture of Barney! Who cares if it gives some slimmer of false hope to those imbeciles, it's their fault for wasting their lives arguing about a toy."

I'm going to wonder if, in the event that all goes to hell and that the leaked roster is final, that it would have been better for him to ignore any comments about characters that weren't playable in this game, because he already did the same thing with Mewtwo on his twitter page.

So uh yeah, Ridley, my most-wanted character for Super Smash Bros. He wasn't always tops on my list, when it came to Brawl King Dedede was number one (and he got in, yay), though this time around, he definitely rose up there. To me, there is no reason why he shouldn't be playable at this point. Metroid needs another non-Samus representitive, and Ridley is the best choice, given that he's appeared in the most games and how important he is to the games and Samus's backstory. Plus, he CAN have a good moveset, and no, it DOESN'T have to be a Charizard clone. Some people say it'd be too difficult, but even if that was the case, I think the extra worth is by far worth the effort. Even if Metroid isn't as popular in Japan as it is overseas, Sakurai HAS to know that people want him playable, there's just so much of an outcry for it! I just keep hoping, praying, even begging for this to be the case...

Because let me tell you, the debate will not end until he's playable. If he's not playable this time around, people will likely think that's the end of it, but no, it will NOT end until Ridley IS playable. Whether it be Super Smash Bros. 5, 6 or 128, the Ridley support will not stop nor will it end until they do the job! And really, like I said, there's no reason why he shouldn't be at this point.

Yes, I know about the shadow thing, and I could go on about misdirection and building up to something, but honestly, I'm just sick and tired of continuously, over and over again, having to repeat myself to new people who keep insisting Ridley's too big, he's not that important, he's a lame choice, he should stay a boss, and blah blah blah, like never did I even think that simply wanting a character playable will spark THIS much debate, spite, and hatred among Smash fans... It really gets me down.

Oh, and I manage a Facebook page supporting Ridley for Smash Bros. It's in my signature, if you're interested.
That was beautiful. I don't think I'll stop supporting him, especially if it turns out that none of the big three get in this game.

I'm all in it for the Space Pirate Commander, but it won't affect my purchase of the 3DS version but rather, the Wii U version. The roster leak has left me unimpressed with the choices made, but if the rumored four are actually playable (Dixie, Mewtwo, Chorus Men, and of course, Ridley), then I'll be more or less satisfied.

Last edited:

Zynux

Smash Lord
Originally, I had posted about the Wii U marketing thing in context to Con0rrr's views on the marketing strategy for Ridley, but it seems I may have opened a Pandora's box (my apologies).

Let's not get carried away with Wii U/3DS marketing shenanigans if they don't pertain to Ridley. :)

(Again, I apologize)

Yeah. I have this feeling that Nintendo really is as half-brained as some of the detractors make them out to be. Like they don't understand the implications of needless speculation and false hope. For example:

Bill Trinen: "Hey! Some Nintendo fan just made a comment on my twitter page about wanting Ridley in SSB4! Even though I know that he isn't playable, I think I'm going to play along with him and troll him with a picture of Barney! Who cares if it gives some slimmer of false hope to those imbeciles, it's their fault for wasting their lives arguing about a toy."

I'm going to wonder if, in the event that all goes to hell and that the leaked roster is final, that it would have been better for him to ignore any comments about characters that weren't playable in this game, because he already did the same thing with Mewtwo on his twitter page.
He did the same thing to a question about Snake too, and I'm pretty confident he's gone. Yeah, I love Bill but he probably should keep his mouth shut. You usually shouldn't do stuff like that for PR reasons (even though with Ridley/Barney I still found it hilarious, to be perfectly honest).

Last edited:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Most likely, no. If, and ONLY if, he gets a treatment similar to Bowser in Melee (he get a boss-like role as Giga Bowser and a slightly bigger Bowser in Adventure Mode), where Ridley is a CPU character to be a semi stage hazard that spawns sometime within that stage, then I HIGHLY doubt Sakurai and the dev team would go out of their way to make two different behaving Ridley's in the game.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Nope. Either we get Other M Ridley or we get no one. No other way. No Roidley boss, Ridley playable situation.
Whitch would you choose?
3DS unless its screen is too small.

PeterJude

Smash Ace
I do think the answer with Ridley is in this whole 3DS/Wii U business. If they really had any plans of a 3DS exclusive Smash in particular, there is no way they'd have made a Ridley-free Smash 4. If there's no other suggestion of his role for the 3DS version I'd be pretty much certain that Ridley would be in as a playable character.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I don't. It's either one or the other. Having him be both just seems too unlikely.

We'll know in a few days though. No matter what happens, I'm pretty satisfied with the roster. I mean you can't beat a game where Mario, Megaman, Pac-Man and Sonic can beat the living **** out of each other. But Ridley would be icing on the cake. So to speak.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301

Good show, my friend! Keep up the good work!

Yeah, I think we'll know by next week the fate of our final roster. I have a strong faith that, somehow or some way, something good is going to happen!

D

Deleted member

I don't. It's either one or the other. Having him be both just seems too unlikely.

We'll know in a few days though. No matter what happens, I'm pretty satisfied with the roster. I mean you can't beat a game where Mario, Megaman, Pac-Man and Sonic can beat the living **** out of each other. But Ridley would be icing on the cake. So to speak.
Ridley? Icing on the cake? I thought he was the entire cake! AND THEN SOME!

TheGalaxyKnight

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IRNStudios
There has to be 1 more trailer before the 3DS release, and it has to be RIDLEY, or I am going through the stages of grief.

PeterJude

Smash Ace
I personally think Ridley is roughly 72/28 playable/nonplayable, however, I do think it's possible for Ridley to have multiple roles. I doubt it, but it's a slim possibility.
Oh yeah, well I think it's 71.284956162492019258542272937719290832847252695292711102383-
28.715043837507980741457727062280709167152747304707288897617 that he's playable.

It's strange to think how close it is now.

The Pizza Guy

Smash Apprentice
Apparently Iwata wanted the game to be a 3DS exclusive, but Sakurai talked him into doing both versions. (probably saving Iwata's job for the umpteenth time)

This is something I've been bummed out about the entire time since E3 2013. Why is Nintendo's marketing plan so bad? The Wii U has about 6.2 million units sold, and is a flop this generation. It needs sales, and Smash Bros would've delivered, but the 3DS version happened. The 3DS releases first, meaning that the user base of about 40 million+ on the 3DS will probably buy just the 3DS version and pass the Wii U. Why spend $300 when you can spend $40? As for the "casuals" for lack of a better term, they will probably buy the 2DS and 3DS version. The Wii U has almost no selling point right now.

And the "New 3DS" and Gamecube adapter. Why weren't they announced alongside Smash Bros!?! Those things are literally made for Smash Bros, and Nintendo knows it. I know I'd feel cheated if I bought a 3DS and didn't have the money to drop on a New 3DS or Wii U/Gamecube adapter. I plan on getting only the Wii U version, but I might pick up the 3DS version as well, it depends on if I feel like jumping the gun.

Edit: I feel like one of the only reasons why the 3DS version exists is as a safety net for Nintendo since they might not believe in the Wii U, and they want some kind of cash from Smash Bros.
Has Nintendo/Sakurai gone into much detail of what features will be exclusive to the Wii U? No they haven't, and that is because the 3ds version is being released first. They are hyping information about smash run because the 3ds version is being released first. They will continue uploading POTDs long after the 3ds release untill the Wii U release and because they've already gone over what makes the 3ds version unique, they'll use the post 3ds release POTDs to talk about features exclusive to the Wii U version before it is released.

Just some thoughts off the top of my head.

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
Oh yeah, well I think it's 71.284956162492019258542272937719290832847252695292711102383-
28.715043837507980741457727062280709167152747304707288897617 that he's playable.

It's strange to think how close it is now.
m8, Do you even 72.837%?

That was my original 'guess' for Ridley's playability. Looking back on it, I made that around when I first joined...so long ago..

PeterJude

Smash Ace

There's one reason I would think that both would be possible, it would open up the ultimate Sakurai-troll.

Imagine it, all this speculation, all this build up, we make it to the very last picture of the day before release with no Ridley... then:

Potential PotD said:
What you've all been waiting for, Ridley Looms Big on pyrosphere. Lookout though, even if you beat him on his stage, he comes back after a few minutes. We're really excited for this particular boss.
Only to reveal an older style Ridley as playable later that evening in a pre-release direct.

Last edited:
Top Bottom