• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Hmm... seems no one noticed my comment. I thought I made a pretty good discovery thanks to the help of @ Delzethin Delzethin from the Krystal thread.
Not everything adds up, though. While I did miss Lucina being in a different spot, how likely is it the leaker hadn't unlocked anyone yet that'd warrant a tenth column, but that still let all the franchises be in order without getting separated?

...That isn't a rhetorical question. How likely is it? :ohwell:

Last edited:

Blackflamedragon

Smash Apprentice
No, there is no trailer (that we're aware of) planned for October 3. It was only an email announcing that Smash Bros. 3DS would be available on Midnight October 3, and also stating at the bottom "by the way, we've added a new character trailer and info to the Smash website, take a look!"

I do think that if Ridley was to be officially announced, it'd be to promote the Smash 3DS in the west (we'll probably know if he's playable well before that point, though), or in a "Big 3" trailer.
Not nessesarly Sakurai may have a plan to make him a secret character whether we like it or not

VenomSymbiote

Smash Journeyman
I made the same assumption a while ago. I think Sakurai would do this to add hype to the game. In my previous speculation I stated that if Ridley were not to appear on the 3DS version that the last straw I would grab would be that Ridley is DLC only to hypothetically add more emphasis on selling the Wii U version. Ridley will be playable on the Wii U disc along with other unannounced characters such as Mewtwo, ???, etc. It's all a marketing tactic. Both versions will still receive the same characters.

It's a way of hyping a game that is technically already out. This is done to most likely secure sales for both versions. I'm not sure why they would do this type of marketing if from my own observation, people who have the 3DS version will 100% want the Wii U version as well. But that is too unscientific to say that in the least. I am no marketing expert, but if that is what Nintendo is planning on doing, I think it's a smart move despite my belief that both versions will sell well anyways.

It's just personal opinion but Sakurai doesn't seem like the type of developer to hold off on releasing characters, or force people to download characters later just to have the complete roster, or to have access to All Star mode. He likes to pack the games with content and not keep anything out just to try and bring up hype later. He'd rather focus on making the Wii U version have some kind of awesome modes, like an RPG co-op thing online, or MOBA sort of thing, just something to play with friends and farm loot and all the other collectibles in the game.

That's why I'm hoping he had the foresight to leave some characters out of the ESRB build, or that the person who took the photo wasn't able to take a shot of the full roster, that it wasn't fully unlocked, whatever. I mean there was a 4 hour closed doors roundtable at PAX with a heft embargo, that gives me some hope. I know that may be the full roster, but I think there's more to it. I just don't feel Sakurai is the type to withhold content just to push another version, or make people pay for something like Ridley that they've teased.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
It's just personal opinion but Sakurai doesn't seem like the type of developer to hold off on releasing characters, or force people to download characters later just to have the complete roster, or to have access to All Star mode. He likes to pack the games with content and not keep anything out just to try and bring up hype later. He'd rather focus on making the Wii U version have some kind of awesome modes, like an RPG co-op thing online, or MOBA sort of thing, just something to play with friends and farm loot and all the other collectibles in the game.

That's why I'm hoping he had the foresight to leave some characters out of the ESRB build, or that the person who took the photo wasn't able to take a shot of the full roster, that it wasn't fully unlocked, whatever. I mean there was a 4 hour closed doors roundtable at PAX with a heft embargo, that gives me some hope. I know that may be the full roster, but I think there's more to it. I just don't feel Sakurai is the type to withhold content just to push another version, or make people pay for something like Ridley that they've teased.
I think that, if anything, the ESRB build is just plain missing characters. They probably left out a few, including the most hyped characters in general.

Blackflamedragon

Smash Apprentice

I'd like to note nothing is "forcing" you to purchase the dlc

MewtwoX825

Smash Ace
I made the same assumption a while ago. I think Sakurai would do this to add hype to the game. In my previous speculation I stated that if Ridley were not to appear on the 3DS version that the last straw I would grab would be that Ridley is DLC only to hypothetically add more emphasis on selling the Wii U version. Ridley will be playable on the Wii U disc along with other unannounced characters such as Mewtwo, ???, etc. It's all a marketing tactic. Both versions will still receive the same characters.

It's a way of hyping a game that is technically already out. This is done to most likely secure sales for both versions. I'm not sure why they would do this type of marketing if from my own observation, people who have the 3DS version will 100% want the Wii U version as well. But that is too unscientific to say that in the least. I am no marketing expert, but if that is what Nintendo is planning on doing, I think it's a smart move despite my belief that both versions will sell well anyways.
If Ridley isnt in the 3ds final roster. Then Dlc is his only shot left cause consol exclusive characters are not happening. With that said Shulk's trailer will probably be the last one until after 3ds is released to hype for Wii U.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Just dropping by to fill my quota;

Tomorrow's pic deconfirms Ridley, third time's the charm.

Last edited:

Blackflamedragon

Smash Apprentice

I'd like to note nothing is "forcing" you to purchase the dlc
Just dropping by to fill my quota,

stop demoralizing the troops

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
If Ridley isnt in the 3ds final roster. Then Dlc is his only shot left cause consol exclusive characters are not happening. With that said Shulk's trailer will probably be the last one until after 3ds is released to hype for Wii U.
I feels that the dlc thing won't happen, and what we get as the final roster is what we have for the rest of the game. I dunno, Sakurai doesn't seem like the kind of guy that wants dlc in his games, going back to what VenomSymbiote said.

Just dropping by to fill my quota;

Be gone with you! You're only crushing hopes here!

Last edited:

JayJay55

Smash Journeyman
Color!

And palette swaps!

Super Metroid boxart Ridley

Zero Mission Ridley

Ridley X

Meta Ridley

Kraid

NES Ridley

Ice Ridley
This is amazing artwork of Hybrid Ridley and his recolors.

Last edited:

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044
You guys aughta know - who made the Ridley Struttin Gif? I wanna credit them in a video

(Don't worry, it isn't another Ridley Debate one ;) )
..............*keeps myself from squeeing*

AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! :eek:

Sorry, I just thought I'd never meet you here. You're responsible for getting me to start looking at Ridley's chances; as a detractor before, I couldn't believe the legitimacy in your video, and something told me it needed to be spreaded. Those were my first steps in becoming a strong advocate for Ridley.

So again, thank you so much for setting me a path into a more open-minded dude! :grin:

D'oh, where are my manners? This ain't the place to be fanboying, as the thread's already in a critical state.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I agree. Though I won't mind dlc characters this early if they're free.(It still doesn't feel right though.)

RetroBro

Smash Ace
My buddy and I have discussed this a lot. And while Sakurai hasn't confirmed DLC, he certainly hasn't deconfirmed it.

He may be the main man in charge, but when it comes to making some extra cash.. if Nintendo demands it of him and the teams involved, there will be DLC. This is disregarding that he DID say they'd consider it after they were finished with the game. Believe it or not folks, just because a game has DLC doesn't mean it ISN'T "FULL AND COMPLETE."

I fully endorse the idea of DLC considering that Smash games tend to have very long life spans.

MewtwoX825

Smash Ace
I feels that the dlc thing won't happen, and what we get as the final roster is what we have for the rest of the game. I dunno, Sakurai doesn't seem like the kind of guy that wants dlc in his games, going back to what VenomSymbiote said.
He said that is wasn't a priority during development and would consider after both versions were released. In reality Nintendo really has the last say if Dlc should be in this game.

edit::4greninja:'d

Last edited:

Blackflamedragon

Smash Apprentice
Warning Received
Really? Are you sure they won't reveal Wario's topless bikini alt?
Ow MY EYES!!!

Didn't say a character. Just...something. An item? A stage? A trophy? I don't know, but I've just got that feeling.

Who knows, it might be Ridley. Oh what surprises the concept of Tomorrow brings!
Oh in that case you win that bet

Last edited by a moderator:

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
Alright, I'm gonna make this post. I may add some links in places later on, but for now, let me explain myself.

Whether or not the 3DS version has more characters not seen in the leak, I believe Ridley will be released alongside the Wii U version.

First of all, before I continue, I recommend reading this thread's OP. It explains why my argument below even has any merit.

Why? Well there's many reasons that lead me to here, let me name a few.

If you read the thread above. You would see the ever looming theme of East vs West and 3DS vs Wii U. Basically what this is saying is that each version will cater to a specific audience in terms of "Exclusive" characters. If you notice on the 3DS version, we have characters that include Dark Pit, Lucina, and Shulk. Besides their niche American fanbase, these characters are unanimously categorized as Eastern characters. Then we have characters such as Ridley that are practically only have a fanbase in the Western area. Which, obviously, includes Ridley.

If there's one thing Sakurai will want to do with Ridley, it's draw out the teasing as long as possible. This is why I believe that once Sakurai and the team were at the conclusion of Wii U characters, the plan to start teasing began. I'll admit, I never said it... but ever since E3, I've had a feeling that Sakurai will draw this out up until Wii U release date. I've always had this hunch that somehow this will happen, and once I read the thread above, everything fit together like puzzle pieces.

What does Sakurai's teasing revolve around? Pyrosphere. Where is Pyrosphere? On the Wii U version. Now if the 3DS version just launches with Ridley without any sort of closure, then why tease Ridley on Pyrosphere in the first place? Obviously the first instinct is that "Well he's the boss on that stage", and that's obviously a whole 'nother argument, but I'm arguing from the opinion that he's playable.

If Nintendo reveals Ridley as playable before we get closure on Pyrosphere, the tease was useless in the first place

This is why I'm am almost positive that he will be a launch character on the WIi U version, along with Mewtwo and maybe a few more characters.

As seen in the thread above, the only way to convince/hype people for the Wii U version is characters. And I feel like the reason they're holding so much back about the Wii U's modes and exclusive features is for a Nintendo Direct before the Wii U version's release. And the only reason people will ever care for that is for the characters.

Now how will they do this? Personally, I see them having the characters be timed exclusives for the Wii U version, which if you already own the Wii U version, can transfer over to the 3DS version with the "Wii U to 3DS" button seen on the 3DS' Menus. And after two weeks, you will need to pay $5-$10 to access those characters on the 3DS without the Wii U version. This isn't screwing 3DS owners over, you're getting content planned to only be for people with both versions at a small cost. But it makes sense due to needing to sell Wii U games.

Personally, I feel this will work the same way for Wii U owners and not just be an obstacle for 3DS only owners. I'm not sure how exactly, but someway there will be an incentive to purchase 3DS version even when you only have the Wii U one (with of course, said exclusive items being available for a payment on the Wii U version)

(Also it makes too much sense to have one of the Wii U characters trailer's include Snake with a "Keptcha Waiting Huh?")

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Alright, I'm gonna make this post. I may add some links in places later on, but for now, let me explain myself.

Whether or not the 3DS version has more characters not seen in the leak, I believe Ridley will be released alongside the Wii U version.

First of all, before I continue, I recommend reading this thread's OP. It explains why my argument below even has any merit.

If you read the thread above. You would see the ever looming theme of East vs West and 3DS vs Wii U. Basically what this is saying is that each version will cater to a specific audience in terms of "Exclusive" characters. If you notice on the 3DS version, we have characters that include Dark Pit, Lucina, and Shulk. Besides their niche American fanbase, these characters are unanimously categorized as Eastern characters. Then we have characters such as Ridley that are practically only have a fanbase in the Western area. Which, obviously, includes Ridley.

If there's one thing Sakurai will want to do with Ridley, it's draw out the teasing as long as possible. This is why I believe that once Sakurai and the team were at the conclusion of Wii U characters, the plan to start teasing began. I'll admit, I never said it... but ever since E3, I've had a feeling that Sakurai will draw this out up until Wii U release date. I've always had this hunch that somehow this will happen, and once I read the thread above, everything fit together like puzzle pieces.

What does Sakurai's teasing revolve around? Pyrosphere. Where is Pyrosphere? On the Wii U version. Now if the 3DS version just launches with Ridley without any sort of closure, then why tease Ridley on Pyrosphere in the first place? Obviously the first instinct is that "Well he's the boss on that stage", and that's obviously a whole 'nother argument, but I'm arguing from the opinion that he's playable.

If Nintendo reveals Ridley as playable before we get closure on Pyrosphere, the tease was useless in the first place

This is why I'm am almost positive that he will be a launch character on the WIi U version, along with Mewtwo and maybe a few more characters.

As seen in the thread above, the only way to convince/hype people for the Wii U version is characters. And I feel like the reason they're holding so much back about the Wii U's modes and exclusive features is for a Nintendo Direct before the Wii U version's release. And the only reason people will ever care for that is for the characters.

Now how will they do this? Personally, I see them having the characters be timed exclusives for the Wii U version, which if you already own the Wii U version, can transfer over to the 3DS version with the "Wii U to 3DS" button seen on the 3DS' Menus. And after two weeks, you will need to pay $5-$10 to access those characters on the 3DS without the Wii U version. This isn't screwing 3DS owners over, you're getting content planned to only be for people with both versions at a small cost. But it makes sense due to needing to sell Wii U games.

Personally, I feel this will work the same way for Wii U owners and not just be an obstacle for 3DS only owners. I'm not sure how exactly, but someway there will be an incentive to purchase 3DS version even when you only have the Wii U one (with of course, said exclusive items being available for a payment on the Wii U version)

(Also it makes too much sense to have one of the Wii U characters trailer's include Snake with a "Keptcha Waiting Huh?")
Or maybe he's not playable

RoseyBetch

Smash Journeyman

I want to know next week so badly that I'm hoping this isn't the case.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
If someone will post a better Kirby dance animation (from Kirby games for example), then i will accept this challenge and hope i won't screw up or that it isn't impossible to do with Ridley. If there is animation of DDD dancing it, then it will be easier since he is not round pink ball. I will leave it for our possible victory.
I tried to look for another gif....but I couldn't find a good one, I only have some of this guy dancing a song called Catgroove (that is the song I listen when I want to draw my Catrin Ridley...and I always imagine him dancing...)
iYMPq101cHR9g.gif

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
I want to know next week so badly that I'm hoping this isn't the case.
We'll find out in 10 days anyway, because if Allstar mode still has that padlock, despite having all the available characters on the 3ds version, it only means more characters on the way, through the WiiU, and Ridley is the prime candidate if it is the case.

Last edited:

TheGalaxyKnight

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IRNStudios

Sakurai already said there would be no differences in the roster.

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
Sakurai already said there would be no differences in the roster.
Yes, but he never said the roster would be finalized through the 3ds version. The point he is making is transferring future characters found in the WiiU version onto the 3ds version, which is an entirely possible outcome.

Last edited:

TheGalaxyKnight

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IRNStudios
Yes, but he never said the 3ds would reveal all the characters. The point he is making is transferring future characters found in the WiiU version onto the 3ds version, which is an entirely possible outcome.
I really don't like that idea though. I mean, it could happen, but I would feel screwed over because I only have a 3DS and dont want to get a WiiU, Even if it is for RIDLEY.

Last edited:

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
Wyy do I have a feeling that we're getting a Ridle trailer the day this comes out.

(I have the weirdest feeling that Doc's in it too)

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I can see Sakurai postponing character unlocks until the Wii U version releases, but I can't see him making it so that you HAVE to get the Wii U version to get all the characters on 3DS.

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
I really don't like that idea though. I mean, it could happen, but I would feel screwed over because I only have a 3DS and dont want to get a WiiU, Even if it is for RIDLEY.
Whether you like it or not, Nintendo wants to sell WiiUs. To be honest, I don't think they should have developed a 3ds version, or atleast before the WiiU version, only because, Smash bros is one of their biggest money makers, and they need WiiUs to sell, not 3ds, which can be covered by Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire anyway. Point I'm making is the 3ds version is seriously going to cannibalize the sales of the WiiU version, because casuals won't care to buy the game again, along with a system they don't have. They seriously screwed the pooch on that, and Ridley's inclusion on the WiiU version won't make a difference because only the hardcore fans will buy it for him, despite the fact that the majority was were going to get both anyway.

Top Bottom