• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

majora_787

Smash Hero
I think the hardest part of all this is just waiting for his confirmation. Most of us here are pretty sure he's playable, but man, it's taking forever to reveal him! Like, we've missed like, what, every Metroid anniversary at this point? I guess he really will be the last character revealed, but dang it's taking long.
We're waiting for the big leak, which is literally almost a week away now. So yeah, it's taken forever for it to happen, but now hiscoming up and I am pretty sure people like me are having flashbacks to '08.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Not only did Ridley make a robot of himself, he gave it his own face before he gave it a way to move more cohesively than clawing itself along the floor and dragging its loose wires around.

Narcissistic? Of course not.
Well, duh, can you blame him? If I had such a superb snout I would be putting it everywhere. I'm impressed by his restraint.

That's what I mean. Repeating discussions is really pointless and not constructive or positive for the thread. Ridley's either in or out and both sides don't have irrefutable evidence. So why not wait 9 days and skip those discussions?
Well, because this thread is also a small community of its own. We don't just like discussing things about Ridley, we like discussing things about Ridley with each other.

On the topic of alternate costumes

I totally want a meta Ridley alt, maybe even more so than a classic Ridley costume.
Meta Roidley. Muscles AND machinery!

majora_787

Smash Hero
Ridley is literally toeing the line between Bowser's comedic narcissism and shenanigans and Ganondorf's ruthless mass murder and conquest. It's magical. There's only one character I can think of like that, and Ridley was actually posted in this thread cosplaying as them once before. Not sure if anyone remembers what Im talking about.

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman
I have also wanted Ridley for many years, ever since the Melee opening; however, the constant mockery and trolling of a few is no excuse to assert defensive communication against every single individual that does not believe he is in the game. It is not practical, effective, or logical and it also reflects badly on all Ridley supporters in general.

Why is it that everyone who comes in here and debates for more than five minutes leaves whilst stating something to the effect of, "no wonder the Ridley thread is looked down upon, circle-jerk supporters in denial, why is this topic not locked... it is a lot of off-topic spam"? No reasonable arguments are consistently presented to them, the second post is actually the worst thing that has happened to this thread. It is not a compilation of all evidence in Ridley's favor. It is a lot of shadow analysis so that we do not afford detractors the respect they deserve in terms of debating Ridley. The post is not concise by any stretch of the imagination and no one sane is going to bother reading the fluff on an entirely subjective notion just to discuss the prospect of a character in Smash. Instead of addressing their arguments, they are laughed at and ridiculed themselves. I was not present during the "Waluigi is more prominent than Ridley" issue, I did read back and find that, as per usual, his posts were misconstrued (straw-man fallacy) and everyone in the thread responded, most did not even attempt to refute his established argument either.

I do not understand it in the slightest. I suppose I am more aware of the repercussions because if I am involved in the discussion at all, the detractor sends ME a personal message to ask me questions about this thread and how it is conducted as they tend to recognize that I am not like the others. I do not ask them to go read something before I grace them with my own arguments, I do not question their competence, I do not ignore their perspectives, and I sometimes defend them as; more likely than not, they are ganged up on. After that, they tell me that they will avoid this thread as it is a plague on Smashboards, or they leave the website in general because their first impression of this site was desecrated for no apparent reason at all. Of course we are here, daily. We deal with detractors all the time. They do not; however, have that same experience. For some reason it is common knowledge that they should not detract because it bothers us, "maybe you should not come into a thread of supporters and expect us to welcome you with open arms." Honestly, it is so bad that I see people on other websites not related to Smash that do not want Ridley because of the fan-base. Word of mouth, word of mouth.

I apologize, but this sentiment is utterly fallacious. The problem is US. Not everyone else.
/Rant
Have you even BEEN here for some of these posts? The people we get mad at aren't just posting thoughts contrary to what we think, we've been fairly cool with that for the most part. It's that to any rebuttal or counterpoint we make, especially ones that have been listed ages ago, the trolly people just go "Nuh uh!" Or "You're dumb for looking deeper into everything!" over and over and over again. Then have the gall to say we're being the irrational ones for not seeing their "logic."

After about three pages of that from one individual, multiplied by the number of insane detractors this thread attracts, it gets rather difficult to remain civil, which of course, leads to "They're being mean to me!" posts. The second foul is the only one that's called, no matter how many times the first foul is repeated, it would seem....

Last edited:

bballstar23

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2383-6686-1312
We're waiting for the big leak, which is literally almost a week away now. So yeah, it's taken forever for it to happen, but now hiscoming up and I am pretty sure people like me are having flashbacks to '08.
Honestly I'm having flashbacks too, which is why I've been trying to keep my hype level under control this time around.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
That's what I mean. Repeating discussions is really pointless and not constructive or positive for the thread. Ridley's either in or out and both sides don't have irrefutable evidence. So why not wait 9 days and skip those discussions?
It's pointless and dumb, but if people are having fun then let them. The staff will close this thread when the time comes, and believe me the staff has been wanting to kill this thread for a while now. ifconfirmedthoughridleywillmostlikelygetanewthread

If you wish to continue this discussion please go to PMs.

Exegguter

Smash Lord
Have you even BEEN here for some of these posts? The people we get mad at aren't just posting thoughts contrary to what we think, we've been fairly cool with that for the most part. It's that to any rebuttal or counterpoint we make, especially ones that have been listed ages ago, the trolly people just go "Nuh uh!" Or "You're dumb for looking deeper into everything!" over and over and over again. Then have the gall to say we're being the irrational ones for not seeing their "logic."

After about three pages of that from one individual, multiplied by the number of insane detractors this thread attracts, it gets rather difficult to remain civil, which of course, leads to "They're being mean to me!" posts. The second foul is the only one that's called, no matter how many times the first foul is repeated, it would seem....
Could not have worded it better. Bravo :)

@ --- --- I'm good. I spent too much time on detractors anyways.

Last edited:

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
And so Lock began to ship SmilingMad with Ridley/Roidley.
Commence kissing scene.
Also, waifu confirm.
Also, thread locked to retain sanity.

Why is no one talking about the ridley shadow in the pic of the day and apperantly a ridley ambiino?
I what?
When did Ridley's shadow pop up in the PotD? Is his shadow a playable character now? Seriously though, could you show?
Also yea, I believe I've brought up the Amiibo thing before. Nothing confirmed so far, but if Ridley is in, he is probably also an Amiibo.

LockFelino

Smash Master
3DS FC
1719-3394-3527
Apperantly in the explotion picture you can see ridley in it
Remember when people saw Mewtwo in the clouds in the Subspace Emissary intro? Yeah, fun times.

Commence kissing scene.
Also, waifu confirm.
Also, thread locked to retain sanity.
Somebody make fanart of this before I write a 40 chapter long fanfic

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
could anyone (or you) draw the outlines of what they're seeing? Also when is the bayonetta direct starting
The closest thing I see in that pic is Charizard. If there's anyone in that pic, its Charizard. Sorry, I'd love to believe its Ridley.

MischF

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TrueMischF
I see it. Took me about 5 minutes of looking but I see it. It's nothing significant either. It looks ridley-esque but it is probably nothing more than an explosion. Especially considering his wings would be off and he wouldn't have a tail.

P.S. If you really want to see it put your best straw grasping pants on and the head starts at the far left.

Last edited:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
As much as I would like to see a playable Ridley in that PotD, newcomers are not revealed in anything that isn't a trailer (unless Sakurai states otherwise). So until Ridley gets confirmed in a trailer, I doubt Sakurai would show him in anything else, especially in a PotD, as that would most likely deconfirm him.

Last edited:

Lady Byakugan

Smash Ace
I never thought once that Chrom was playable after seeing him in action, especially not after looking at the official website, which was updated with character pages of Robin, Lucina, and Captain Falcon.

The situation with Chrom was that the Final Smash sound played as soon as he appeared, with Robin calling out his name, and then the two fought together side by side against Captain Falcon. Which played out like Ike's Great Aether Final Smash in Brawl.

What happened with Ridley, on the other hand, was that we got a sluggish-moving shadow that followed Pikachu, stopped momentarily, and then went left before apparently jumping. While there was no sound in the clip at all.

We have one thing that was meant to explicitly disconfirm someone, and another that was meant to incite speculation.
So true. The way Ridley has been showcased is so much more diffrent than Chrom or Waluigi or or Girahim or any other charcaters that Sakurai has down right deconfirmed.

VenomSymbiote

Smash Journeyman
I think the hardest part of all this is just waiting for his confirmation. Most of us here are pretty sure he's playable, but man, it's taking forever to reveal him! Like, we've missed like, what, every Metroid anniversary at this point? I guess he really will be the last character revealed, but dang it's taking long.
Posts like these make me fear you're going to jinx it. I feel Ridley has a really good shot, but I can't let myself say he's in 100% because then I'd just be asking for it to bite me in the rear. Don't summon the wrath of an angry Sakurai who can smell your over-confidence!

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I forgot to mention that he was unused. He still was finished, but unused.
Oh, I see.. Are there any images or hacks of the unused Fake Ridley like there were of the unused Crocomire in Zero Mission, etc.? Like what color is Fake Ridley?

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Excuse me? Attack? Are you you serious?

I locked the thread for excessive increase of spam and " hype" posts that people were posting, not because people thought he was legitimately "confirmed" at any of those. The "What were you expecting" comment was directed at people who went about posting/celebrating by spamming hype images/bids, making the entirety of their post basically "I DON'T KNOW WHAT WE'RE YELLING ABOUT/HYPE TRAIN/+1 post." Regardless of whether he's confirmed or not, that kind of behavior would have gotten this place locked.

Miscontrue my words like that again and High Command will have your traitorous hide promptly shot.
Ok, sorry for making you defend yourself. Btw I didn't mean anything personally, i had to dramatize it for the sake of my proclamation. Thanks for clarifying ~

TheWozny

Smash Ace
NNID
Woznito
As much as I would like to see a playable Ridley in that PotD, newcomers are not revealed in anything that isn't a trailer (unless Sakurai states otherwise). So until Ridley gets confirmed in a trailer, I doubt Sakurai would show him in anything else, especially in a PotD, as that would most likely deconfirm him.
I do believe Rosalina had one of her moves appear in a PotD with a Nintendog assist trophy before her actual reveal.
On topic, I doubt that;s Ridley guys, he isn't big enough :troll:

Grimfrost

Smash Cadet
I do believe Rosalina had one of her moves appear in a PotD with a Nintendog assist trophy before her actual reveal.
On topic, I doubt that;s Ridley guys, he isn't big enough :troll:
Not only that, gannondorf was in one of the trailers and he still isnt announced! don't forget the pac man and the duck clouds!

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Bagan can do that.

you mean this kirby dance?
If someone will post a better Kirby dance animation (from Kirby games for example), then i will accept this challenge and hope i won't screw up or that it isn't impossible to do with Ridley. If there is animation of DDD dancing it, then it will be easier since he is not round pink ball. I will leave it for our possible victory.

Fun fact, "the West" accounts for around 80% of sales for the series.

Also worth noting that the whole "casuals" argument falls down quite hard in the fact that Ridley was pretty much immediately noted pretty much universally. You never know though, maybe we're meant to be hyped for the first ever Ridley-free Smash game. Imagine that logic:

Nintendo HQ: "Ridley is massively popular in the market that makes up the vast majority of the series' sales, has growing support, has been a most requested character since Melee and has featured in one way or another since day dot. How are we going to capitalise on his popularity? That's right, we're going to have him not appear at all in Smash for 3DS!!! GENIUS!!!"
And if he really teased boss Ridley:
"Remember Ridley? Yeah, that highly requested and important guy from a popular franchise that is one of the most requested characters. We'd like to announce you something all of you will appreciate: in this game, he is a *GASP* BOSS! YEAH! SO TOTALLY NEW FOR 9TH TIME! HE IS IN THE EXACTLY SAME ROLE AS BEFORE, BUT A LOT MORE ANNOYING! HE JUST STANDS DOING NOTHING FOR 11 SECONDS, COMES BACK 30 SECONDS AFTER YOU WILL BEAT HIM AND GIVES YOU NOTHING FOR THAT! ARE YOU EXCITED?! ARE YOU, B****ES?! NO?! THEN F*** YOU, WE DON'T CARE, HAVE DUCK HUNT DOG AND DR.MARIO INSTEAD!"
That will be awful and feel exactly as in the text above. It will be worse than any other disconfirmation since we had to wait for 1 year, hoping for something, while everyone else had their hopes crushed instantly, in the same PotD/direct/video/whatever they were shown. It is a lot better because you won't have to wait for (dis)confirmation. It is like if Sakurai would say that he may continue his nearly finished SSB game with all of your favourite characters, but then 1 year later he would say that he decided to cancel it hour after saying that he may continue it and thought that everone already knows that he canceled it, so, he didn't bothered to tell about his decision.
Version 3.0 View attachment 24066

• Went back to Roidley eyes
  • Super Metroid-style wings
I need to fix up dem wings. They don't look right to me. :ohwell:
Looks even bulkier than Roidley. Must be fixed.
To be honest most come with some vague kind of argument, the issue is that it is all been dealt with pretty strongly before. There's no point getting angry at people wanting to discuss things now though.

To be honest though with 9 days to go it's probably time for me to have a crack at an anti-Ridley post, let's see...

How much teasing has there really been, and to what extent can we really assume that teasing means playable. Whilst there are strong suggestions on here that the evidence is for him being playable, there really needs to be strong thought put into the potential issues with the arguments. Let's break this down into parts though:

1. The teasing, lack of naming and the timing

Whilst it has been suggested that such "teasing" is indicative of a playable character being hyped up, can we really say for certain we understand the methodology used to "hype" characters. We know all to well over the history of the Smash series that we simply can't predict Sakurai, and when we think we know, we tend not to. In this case we've been given clear hints at the possibility of Ridley being in the game, but with such little time left, and them previous hyping up stage bosses, it's not entirely unreasonable to expect that the style used for Ridley is more suggestive of him being the big ticket stage boss, rather than playable.

Consider the timing, hinting and reveal of other stage bosses. They hinted at Yellow Devil, and showed him both out of context, and not mentioning his role, not to mention the them showing Ultimate Ghost over the course of what seemed like months before finally showing it as a boss of some kind. This does seem to be a feature that Sakurai is proud of, and what better way to hype up the feature than with a character they may well see as the perfect stage boss, on his very own stage (or his clone's really). They did seemingly try and build up hype for Yellow devil in particular was mentioned quite some time before even the concept of stage bosses was revealed. Keeping in mind they didn't name Ultimate Ghost for a long time either, and only recently really clarified exactly what was going on there, it does seem that they want to hype up that feature, and as such hyping up Ridley as a stage boss may make some logic to them. Particularly now that we've got an unnamed Metal Face, only as a shadow and likely as a stage boss, we've got even more parallels to Ridley, and we had plenty as it was.

2. The shadow, what we saw

What did we see though. We can make all kinds of inferences, but for anyone who looked through the ESRB leak thread, we can make all sorts of subtle inferences off pretty much anything, and the whole shadow argument may well just be a bit too convenient.

Starting with his size, he's still not small, in fact the lower range of his size seems to have been gauged at just over Bowser's height, and potentially longer too, and Bowser is an absolute monster in this version. If there is any error in that calculation as well (and as it's based off a shadow where we have limited ability to test shadow effects it is more than possible), then he could be still a bit bigger. I won't go as far as saying "too big", but after some criticised Ridley's size in Brawl (not many, but some did claim they oversized him a bit too much) they may well have made a stage boss that's a bit smaller, more mobile and harder to hit. He may be on the cusp of a playable size, but equally his size also doesn't rule out being a stage boss.

On that point though, consider the shadow. We talk about the jerky movements, we talk about how bosses tend to be on the rail, but consider who we've talking about, and how this would be set up specially for the shadow shoot. They could have made a more agile, threatening Ridley boss, which had similar AI to a playable character, but attributes that would preclude such playability. Add into this the obvious detail they've put into some background elements (notably the hole), and there is the potential for "an enemy from Samus' past to appear at any time" there.

3. Ridley's popularity

The majority of sales come from the West, and they seem to recognise that enough to pay some fan service, but consider where we are in the release cycle. We're in the home stretch for the Japanese release, what they're hiding is for their sake, not ours. Japan still gets preferential treatment, for whatever strange reason, and who here honestly believes that they're saving Ridley for a big reveal for Japan? Would they really care? They're not saving him for our sake either, as they know full well he'll be spoiled for us by the Japan release. They might be saving him for a last day reveal, maybe even for a post release trailer, but why would they? This is about Japan now, they aren't going to go for the "BIG REVEAL" for a character they aren't that interested in. It would be as sad as the Japanese Xbone release.

It's worth pointing out that Ridley was just as popular for Brawl and they made a big ticket boss. With them clearly so excited about these stage bosses, they may well think that's enough to get people hyped for. They might think it's great fan service even, keeping Ridley as a boss, the best damn boss they could make.

Overall you've got to admit, there is a real, a very real chance that Ridley is just their big ticket stage boss, and it fits with how they've revealed the others.

Whilst I don't really agree with the entirety of that logic, there is certainly an argument to be made. I'm pretty sure he's playable, but you have to show the other side at least some respect and let them have the chance to make their arguments. There's no point belittling people on here for arguing about whether Ridley's in or not in the thread about exactly that.
Finally something that isn't stupid. I can't really counter those arguments. Well, maybe except that Little Mac was even less popular in Japan as far as i know.
Not only that, gannondorf was in one of the trailers and he still isnt announced! don't forget the pac man and the duck clouds!
Ganondorf wasn't properly shown. He is barely noticable in that video. Clouds don't count as a tease or something like that because if they do, then rocks are used to tease something too, so, Ridley confirmed.

Last edited:

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
Posts like these make me fear you're going to jinx it. I feel Ridley has a really good shot, but I can't let myself say he's in 100% because then I'd just be asking for it to bite me in the rear. Don't summon the wrath of an angry Sakurai who can smell your over-confidence!
I'm not afraid of the Sakurai! Bring it On!

(Gets banned the next day)

Jokes aside, I still feel that 100% he is in. There's just so much in his favor that I can't believe he's not. I' mean, one whole year of teasing and 13 years of waiting has to lead up to something, right?

Last edited:

Grimfrost

Smash Cadet

LockFelino

Smash Master
3DS FC
1719-3394-3527
I'm not afraid of the Sakurai! Bring it On!

(Gets banned the next day)

Jokes aside, I still feel that 100% he is in. There's just so much in his favor that I can't believe he's not. I' mean, one whole year of teasing and 13 years of waiting has to lead up to something, right?

I should hope so.

(And if it does I am totally going to challenge everyone here and fail completely as I'm not the best Smash player in the world)

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Looks even bulkier than Roidley. Must be fixed.
Strange you would think that...
Here it is with most of the layers removed:

hybridleycopy copy.png

This is just Roidley with his palette changed and wings cropped out.
What I'm doing is mostly just a re-texturing. Very little is "added." So if it looks that way, it's only an illusion.
("Hybdridley's" chest does poke out a bit more, but that's mostly just a result of his protruding ribs.)
Besides, it's supposed to look like Roidley to an extent. It's meant to be a hybrid; I'm not trying to completely recreate Ridley from Roidley.

Last edited:
Top Bottom