• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Zawaz132

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Zawaz132
here's my question when ridley gets annouced do you think he would be high tier or low tier.I think he would be in the middle.If this has been asked already my bad.
You what I think? Tiers are for...... Lame people.
Just play with who's fun, not who's best. Like, there's so many characters in every game. I always find myself using half the roster on a regular basis.
Of course there's always that one person I go to when I absolutely have to destroy someone. I can only hope it to be Ridley in this game. >:]

D

Deleted member 245254

So apparently Bill Trinen responded to a person asking about whether a certain "purple dragon" was playable in Smash 4. His answer is about an 11/10 on the troll scale.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
So apparently Bill Trinen responded to a person asking about whether a certain "purple dragon" was playable in Smash 4. His answer is about an 11/10 on the troll scale.
It's good that they are at least aware. Sorta. Not that that is an achievement or anything, everyone and their mother knows about Ridley nowadays.

Last edited:

Zynux

Smash Lord
You were :4greninja: by @Con0rrrr, who posted it a few pages back.

As I said before, I couldn't even be mad.

Well played Bill, well played.

Zawaz132

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Zawaz132
It's good that they are at least aware. Sorta. Not that that is an achievement or anything, everyone and their mother knows about Ridley nowadays.
Wait, so that was legit? I thought it was a parody account. If that's really Trinen, then kudos to him all the way!

Hidan

Smash Apprentice
Unlike other characters, Ridley is in the position that if he's not playable he'll be a boss. Meaning that his chances to be playable through DLC are slim to none.

And then the cycle begins a new when the next game is announced.
Characters like him and Chrom unfortunately, due to their status (IF Ridley is a boss) will 99.99% not be DLC (for being Stage Hazard and a Final Smash respectively).

Characters that have no trophy/assist trophy/pokeball, etc. have the best chances of making it in as DLC, or at least that's what I think.

Ike the Killer

Smash Cadet
Lol pls dont start comparing Ridley to FILLER Chrom. Or maybe you should go learn/play some Fire Emblem games to realize he is only 2nd filler lord ever after Lyn and that the story wise of FE13 is horrible xDDDD.

Ridley has absolutely nothing/nobody to be jealous of as character and as smash bros slot, the only one who could scratch his status would be Mewtwo in those terms but Ridley has the advantage of never been playable + Metroid needs more rep.

Xhampi

Smash Lord
can i be added to the support list
Add me to the support list please, I wanna be able to brag in 2 weeks
You guys are already on the list

I wasn't put on there? even after all my Ridley face artz? was it not enough? ;-;
*check list*

Oh ****, I'm sorry it was a reccuring problem when I made the list I sometimes forget to add the some fans because I was sure that they were already on the list, all my apologies Sagittarius you have course been added ^^'

Edit :
I was added to some support list a while back...not quite sure what happened to that one. Please add me :D
Already on the list.

Remember to look at the list page 1742 before asking to be added on the list, people ;u;

Last edited:

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
New idea for Ridleys voice

Murdoc from Gorillaz

ALSO FRIENDLY REMINDER WHEN THAT SUPPORT LIST COMES UP

Ctrl + F then type your name

@ Xhampi Xhampi I suggest you Put that reminder before each list update from now on

Last edited:

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Lol pls dont start comparing Ridley to FILLER Chrom. Or maybe you should go learn/play some Fire Emblem games to realize he is only 2nd filler lord ever after Lyn and that the story wise of FE13 is horrible xDDDD.

Ridley has absolutely nothing/nobody to be jealous of as character and as smash bros slot, the only one who could scratch his status would be Mewtwo in those terms but Ridley has the advantage of never been playable + Metroid needs more rep.
Ridley and Chrom both are challenging design-wise. Chrom is challenging because he seems very bland; even after playing through the game Sakurai couldn't really work with him, and instead chose Robin (who I have to say was the better option, as Robin of course can mage whereas I believe Chrom can only spear and sword). Chrom wouldn't really have had an interesting playstyle had he been added, if we take Sakurai's view on him into account, and that is exactly why he isn't in the game.

And look at all the new fighters that have been added! A lot of them have very interesting gimmicks that define their playstyle. Little Mac is a walking gimmick with being entirely ground-based and has an extra KO punch gimmick to boot. Rosalina can fight by proxy, and could potentially wombo-combo all by herself. Robin's weaponry breaks after a certain amount of uses, which requires the player to manage all of that. Palutena has insane range with a lot of her attacks. Mega Man is projectile based. Playing Shulk optimally will require micromanagement of his Monado arts. Of course, I'm probably biased because I don't know Chrom that well.

Ridley, on the other hand, is challenging because of what he is represented as in the games. He is a lightning bruiser, fast AND powerful, while being able to take many hits. This is of course hard to balance, or at least harder than most other characters. However, in terms of potential he could make it very far very easily. As has been said before, he could be made into an air-based grappler. What he might lack in speed could be supplemented with one or more fast ramming attacks. To balance him out, his ground play could be nerfed through lowered movement speed and with overall clumsier and clunkier attacks. His movepool contains claw attacks, grab attacks, plasma breath, tail pogo, self buffs. Like I said, potential galore. And he could fly! If that isn't a playstyle-defining gimmick, then you've been drinking splounge water and should probably stop doing that this instant.

Y'know, I'm probably gonna try my hand at building a moveset for him, with customs and all.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm going with Retsuprae's gilbert gottfried impression for Ridley's voice

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
I think we're getting Ridley on october 3rd and the japanese get patched.

@ BlueBubbee BlueBubbee are there any metroid anniversaries around that time at all?
According to my list, there's nothing late september or early october, but there is stuff early september and late october.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Ridley's 3DS homestage is unfortunatly going to be Brinstar, there is nothing else, and Brinstar doesn't even fit with Ridley!
Funnily enough, he could play really well on it considering he is air based, and his potential flight mechanic would basically render any threat the acid might pose null and void.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Characters like him and Chrom unfortunately, due to their status (IF Ridley is a boss) will 99.99% not be DLC (for being Stage Hazard and a Final Smash respectively).

Characters that have no trophy/assist trophy/pokeball, etc. have the best chances of making it in as DLC, or at least that's what I think.
We don't know if there would even be DLC to begin with, nor to what extent they'd be willing to work with.

I will say Smash being non-canon/seeing things like them add in a 4th Mario/Peach in MK8 makes me think it's not out of the question.

I was more referring to typical posts rather than extreme examples. I assume all that's allowed is:

1. Expressing excitement about Ridley (pretty vague)
2. Requesting a place on the Ridley supporter list
3. Hypothetical game design choices as they would relate to a playable Ridley (?)

Of course, being an open 'detractor' is forbidden because it will inevitably fan the flames.

Yes, I am aware that this post does not satisfy any of the above, mark it as spam if you wish.
Whilst I will not warn this for being a legitimate reply (or at least for your sake, I'd hope so), I will say one thing. Cut the passive-aggressive crap.

Detractors aren't forbidden. I've repeatedly pointed that fact out, even going as far as to defend people being allowed to have/voice their own opinions. But they're not going to get special treatment, much less be treated as the victims here. This is obviously last place you'd want to post that you don't want/don't think Ridley is or will ever be playable if you don't want to get dozens of people telling you they obviously disagree. However, lots of detractors have managed to post here without receiving flak from either the staff or even the thread. Likewise, many, if not much more supporters have been warned for "fanning the flames" on numerous occasions.

If you want to bring up a legitimate point, or express your stance on the character, feel free to. Do so while antagonizing people, and the obvious response will ensue.

-snip-

Deuces, Tokimonsta :shades:
First off, paragraphs.

2nd off, as touching as making an account just to defend this place was, none of what you stated was why the thread was locked at all. I understand people are passionate and may not be aware of the history with Ridley threads on here. But we are in no way "mad" or biased/playing favorites with our actions. Just because people are hyped doesn't mean they can disregard the rules everyone has to follow (you signed up for this forum by agreeing to them, after all).

As you yourself said, the thread title says Ridley, which means discussion should be about just that - Ridley. Not reaction images/gifs/videos 24/7, or discussions that barely have anything to do with Ridley (hyping up PAX Prime/Smash's release itself, rather than Ridley's inclusion in either, belongs in other threads).

Furthermore, no detractors are not prohibited from posting here so long as they follow the rules as well, which means staying civil, not just "spouting out negativity and hate," and not derailing/griefing the thread. They leave with just as much infractions as every other person breaking the rules does, if and only if they are actually violating rules. No, having a different opinion does not count as that, unless they cross the obvious line.

Well, it's hard to really know what's a problem and what isn't. People are giving a detractor his share of the opinion cake, but it might end up off-topic. Then we say "let's just ignore him" over and over and we get marked as spamming. It really feels like a lose-lose situation being here sometimes.
A reminder here and there to ignore people you don't want to deal with isn't the problem. It's completely halting discussion/publicly posting "I'M IGNORING THIS GUY, EVERYBODY IGNORE THIS GUY, ISMAR COME HANDLE THIS" or anything to that extent. It's an extreme example/it never gets to that point, I understand, but it's pretty much what I have to deal with on a daily basis.

If you're going to ignore a person, then do just that, ignore them. Don't point how much of a "detractor" they're being or bring up matters that should otherwise be handled privately (again if you feel a line is being crossed, report it and it will be dealt with there). Also realize reporting is often done anonymously, and will come up if the "being overly defensive/hostile" nature of this thread becomes an issue. As I mentioned above, it's not just detractors that are often guilty of "fanning the flames."

Here's a thought, what if Ridley was unlocked in Cruel (Smash?) Play as Sammy or ZS Sammy and get 356 (a year's worth) KOs? Hey, at least that's a way to keep people from spoiling him too early. :troll:
I would have said make it 'Fire 75 Missiles as Samus at Ridley on Pyrosphere' were that stage actually included on both versions.

Doing that in Cruel Smash would probably suffice, though I'm not sure anyone would have the patience for it.

-

Lastly, to those noting NoA's (specifically the Treehouse sect) trolling shenanigans pointing out the fact they're aware of the situation, I've been saying that for months.

I went early, waited forever and a half (with my sister), and only heard mild character speculation every now and then (most people saying Waluigi was the only logical choice left for Smash). Someone actually took a portable TV so they could play Smash while waiting, so we were pretty much preoccupied with that.

I played as Samus both times and mentioned the Ridley being too big thing to the guy running the 3DS demo. He told me Samus was too big.
I think it shows they have a sense of humor, even in light of the recent drama/scandal. Which is comforting, to say the very least.

Xhampi

Smash Lord
Ridley's 3DS homestage is unfortunatly going to be Brinstar, there is nothing else, and Brinstar doesn't even fit with Ridley!
It's crazy to think that Brinstar was a Metroid stage in Melee, Brawl, SSB4 and is pretty much Planet Zebes from SSB64 (which had Ridley in the background).

Who needs a Bowser castle stage ? If you want lava and acid you just have to play on a Metroid stage.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
It's crazy to think that Brinstar was a Metroid stage in Melee, Brawl, SSB4 and is pretty much Planet Zebes from SSB64 (which had Ridley in the background).
If Ridley's playable, the first thing I'm going to do on the 3DS version is get a screenshot of him getting Star KO'd on Brinstar. As an homage.

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
If Ridley's playable, the first thing I'm going to do on the 3DS version is get a screenshot of him getting Star KO'd on Brinstar. As an homage.
I know people have drawn pictures have Ridley being pressed up against the screen, but I still can't picture how it would look in game, specially since most of them seem cartoon-ish and Ridley is the most serious Nintendo villain.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
I know people have drawn pictures have Ridley being pressed up against the screen, but I still can't picture how it would look in game, specially since most of them seem cartoon-ish and Ridley is the most serious Nintendo villain.
That's what makes it so perfect. The most serious Nintendo villain stuck to the glass, slowly sliding downwards with an expression of anguish and annoyance on his face. Wallpaper-worthy.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Ridley and Chrom both are challenging design-wise. Chrom is challenging because he seems very bland; even after playing through the game Sakurai couldn't really work with him, and instead chose Robin (who I have to say was the better option, as Robin of course can mage whereas I believe Chrom can only spear and sword). Chrom wouldn't really have had an interesting playstyle had he been added, if we take Sakurai's view on him into account, and that is exactly why he isn't in the game.

And look at all the new fighters that have been added! A lot of them have very interesting gimmicks that define their playstyle. Little Mac is a walking gimmick with being entirely ground-based and has an extra KO punch gimmick to boot. Rosalina can fight by proxy, and could potentially wombo-combo all by herself. Robin's weaponry breaks after a certain amount of uses, which requires the player to manage all of that. Palutena has insane range with a lot of her attacks. Mega Man is projectile based. Playing Shulk optimally will require micromanagement of his Monado arts. Of course, I'm probably biased because I don't know Chrom that well.

Ridley, on the other hand, is challenging because of what he is represented as in the games. He is a lightning bruiser, fast AND powerful, while being able to take many hits. This is of course hard to balance, or at least harder than most other characters. However, in terms of potential he could make it very far very easily. As has been said before, he could be made into an air-based grappler. What he might lack in speed could be supplemented with one or more fast ramming attacks. To balance him out, his ground play could be nerfed through lowered movement speed and with overall clumsier and clunkier attacks. His movepool contains claw attacks, grab attacks, plasma breath, tail pogo, self buffs. Like I said, potential galore. And he could fly! If that isn't a playstyle-defining gimmick, then you've been drinking splounge water and should probably stop doing that this instant.

Y'know, I'm probably gonna try my hand at building a moveset for him, with customs and all.
You forgot, he is fast, powerful, AND has projectile attacks as part of his base move set. Could be a nightmare to balance, but that's also what makes him so interesting. I still envision him as a tank on the ground. Slow, powerful, with strong range... but in the air he would be a different sort of beast. I would love to see what Sakurai could do with.... much more then the Project M team, actually. Nothing against the PM devs because they have done some fantastic work... but Sakurai has such a way with move sets and has been incredibly inventive with gimmicks in Smash 4. (Also not saying that I wouldn't love to see him in PM if he isn't in Smash 4.)

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
It would provide me with the replacement to my Nyan Ca- I mean... Default wallpaper... Yeah...
*retches*

You forgot, he is fast, powerful, AND has projectile attacks as part of his base move set. Could be a nightmare to balance, but that's also what makes him so interesting. I still envision him as a tank on the ground. Slow, powerful, with strong range... but in the air he would be a different sort of beast. I would love to see what Sakurai could do with.... much more then the Project M team, actually. Nothing against the PM devs because they have done some fantastic work... but Sakurai has such a way with move sets and has been incredibly inventive with gimmicks in Smash 4. (Also not saying that I wouldn't love to see him in PM if he isn't in Smash 4.)
I don't really think he'll be a tank. I mean, yes he is large, but I thought of him more as a rather large but lighter, and he can also fly and stuff.

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
...Ganondorf. Nuff said. I do think it is gonna look hilarious though.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
...Ganondorf. Nuff said. I do think it is gonna look hilarious though.
Eh, both are pretty serious, but I think that Ridley is more serious and violent than Ganondorf simply because the setting allows him to be. That or I am bias.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I was referring to classic Star KO's (flying into the background screaming until the little 'ding!'), not Screen KO's (I'd be more worried about the integrity of the screen being compromised).

As for villains being/coming off as too serious, I'm really starting to wonder if that will even be possible in this game.

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
Eh, both are pretty serious, but I think that Ridley is more serious and violent than Ganondorf simply because the setting allows him to be. That or I am bias.
Ridley is a tad bit more serious I think, as Ganondorf wanted to do good for his fellow Gerudo or something in Wind Waker. Ridley just wants to wreck sh*t up and kill all inferior beings
Ridley is kinda on a revenge mission for his whole race though. And OOT Ganondorf WAS evil as hell. He killed a goddamn lot of people, in fact
in "future" Hyrule 2City" there are only redeads, presumably all thats left from the people living there
. And he had no reason except for wanting the ultimate power for himself, and himself alone.

Actually now that i think of it, TP Ganondorf was also behind the events that turned the whole of Hyrule into freaking ghostcountry.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Ridley is kinda on a revenge mission for his whole race though. And OOT Ganondorf WAS evil as hell. He killed a goddamn lot of people, in fact
in "future" Hyrule there are only redeads, presumably all thats left from the people living there
. And he had no reason except for wanting the ultimate power for himself, and himself alone.
for Ridley his ambition isn't really confirmed, and he was stated to have a superiority complex. Those town people? Didn't they move to Kakariko? I haven't played OoT in forever, so my memory might be a bit shoddy

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
for Ridley his ambition isn't really confirmed, and he was stated to have a superiority complex. Those town people? Didn't they move to Kakariko? I haven't played OoT in forever, so my memory might be a bit shoddy
Some did i think. But only the "important ones as far as i can recall, all "normal" townsfolk was gone. Also look at the edit to my post. Anyway, back to Ridley.

Seeing Ridley in HD and (if playable) wearing bunny ears or tanuki tail will be GLORIUS.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
I was referring to classic Star KO's (flying into the background screaming until the little 'ding!'), not Screen KO's (I'd be more worried about the integrity of the screen being compromised).

As for villains being/coming off as too serious, I'm really starting to wonder if that will even be possible in this game.

Bowsers part in the trailer could be entirely misunderstood as him running around and having a great damn time. Then, after roaring with delight, he discovers a very rare butterfly species, which distracts him for a while. And then he gets backstabbed by this bum who probably thinks having a laser sword is the bees knees and that it should be shown off at pretty much every opportunity ever.

in "future" Hyrule 2City" there are only redeads, presumably all thats left from the people living there
Well, not really:
Melee Trophy said:
Seven years after Ganondorf took control of Hyrule, ReDeads roamed the ruins of Castle Town, moaning. At first, Link was shocked at the state of the town, and the apparent lack of survivors. He later learned that the townsfolk had evacuated to safety, and that the ReDeads were just magic animated into hideous humanoid shapes.

Nope, nothing. ReDeads are fakey fake zombies! Ridley is scariest and seriousiest!

Xhampi

Smash Lord
In Metroid Other M the more you damage Ridley the more his wings gets in a bad state.

I wonder if Ridley's gimmick could be that the more damage he takes the more damaged his wings become making him more and more useless in the air as he takes damege, to the point where he can't fly anymore but just jump.

I guess that it could allow Ridley to have an okay ground game as well as to make him a little harder to use than just "rush into your opponent while jumping" and more "you have a really good air game but you also have fireballs and attacks with good range for a reason, learn to use them as well".

Last edited:

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
In Metroid Other M the more you damage Ridley the more his wings gets in a bad state.

I wonder if Ridley's gimmick could be that the more damage he takes the more damaged his wings become making him more and more useless in the air as he takes damege, to the point where he can't fly anymore but just jump.

I guess that it could allow Ridley to have an okay ground game as well as to make him a little harder to use than just "rush into your opponent while jumping" and more "you have a really good air game but you also have fireballs and attacks with good range for a reason, learn to use them as well".
That'd also open up potential and different playstyles, Groundley and Airley.

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I think the ultimate battle-damage gimmick was confirmed already in the form of steaming at high %. The only way to add on/make it better would be to make him grow brighter/redder in color as this happened. Would admittedly be a cool throwback.

VenomSymbiote

Smash Journeyman
Well, uh... I think Metal Face may actually be too big...

There's a reason I say that, but it's kind of major spoilers for Xenoblade...
I know the spoiler because I played through it for how long I've been defending Ridley I'm going to say: It doesn't matter. He could be scaled down and in the Smash'verse just be a suped up Mechon.

Top Bottom