• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
So, from what I heard this thread was temporarily locked when I wasn't checking this thread? Man, I miss everything! :p
Anyway, what Ridley related things are we talking about now? :p

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
I was referring to classic Star KO's (flying into the background screaming until the little 'ding!'), not Screen KO's (I'd be more worried about the integrity of the screen being compromised).

As for villains being/coming off as too serious, I'm really starting to wonder if that will even be possible in this game.

I know star KO's arent the same as screen KO's but I just brought up Ridley's screen KO/spalt since you were talking about KO's

Can't help but picture this every time I see a star KO

Last edited:
NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
So, from what I heard this thread was temporarily locked when I wasn't checking this thread? Man, I miss everything! :p
Anyway, what Ridley related things are we talking about now? :p
I think we're debating potential movesets now.

I thought about how his specials could be, and I'd love something like this:
:GCN::GCB: -- Fireball. A decently sized, slow-traveling fireball that deals damage when someone touches it.
:GCR::GCB: -- When used on the ground, Ridley flies near the ground in the direction you tilted the stick. If he connects with someone, he grabs them by the head and drags them across the floor for a short distance. When used in the air, Ridley flies the same distance as on the ground, but, if it connects, he does a flip and flies headfirst into the ground (kinda like Ganondorf's kamikaze move).
:GCU::GCB: -- Ridley spreads his wings and quickly flies a short distance. It can be aimed. It doesn't do damage, but has knockback. It also stops Ridley from jumping after using it.
:GCD::GCB: -- Ridley flies close to the ground while dragging his tail for a short distance, hurting anyone that touches him while doing so (kinda like what he did in Brawl). Ridley flies in the direction you're looking at the moment.

I don't know that much about Ridley, to be honest, but I think it fits him. Opinions?

VenomSymbiote

Smash Journeyman
I don't think Ridley will be patched in after launch. Sakurai doesn't seem like the type to withhold content and force people to go download it later just so they can play it. I mean it's possible, but who knows. It would be a nice surprise but I'd be pretty nervous for his chances if he wasn't in the Japanese version.

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
I think we're debating potential movesets now.

I thought about how his specials could be, and I'd love something like this:
:GCN::GCB: -- Fireball. A decently sized, slow-traveling fireball that deals damage when someone touches it.
:GCR::GCB: -- When used on the ground, Ridley flies near the ground in the direction you tilted the stick. If he connects with someone, he grabs them by the head and drags them across the floor for a short distance. When used in the air, Ridley flies the same distance as on the ground, but, if it connects, he does a flip and flies headfirst into the ground (kinda like Ganondorf's kamikaze move).
:GCU::GCB: -- Ridley spreads his wings and quickly flies a short distance. It can be aimed. It doesn't do damage, but has knockback. It also stops Ridley from jumping after using it.
:GCD::GCB: -- Ridley flies close to the ground while dragging his tail for a short distance, hurting anyone that touches him while doing so (kinda like what he did in Brawl). Ridley flies in the direction you're looking at the moment.

I don't know that much about Ridley, to be honest, but I think it fits him. Opinions?
I think it fits Ridley pretty well.

MewtwoX825

Smash Ace
Being anxious about Ridley's status and just out of sheer boredom I came up with a simple moveset for him.

Main gimmick: like other newcomers Ridley would probably have some type of gimmick incorporated into his moves. The most obvious choice would be a flight mechanic. Instead of having multiple jumps like Pit or Charizard, his second jump will have him be in a flight state and can maneuver around in the air for a limited time using the control stick. This gives him better control over opponents in the air rather on the ground. With that said he would be quite sluggish on land but would utilize powerfull jab attacks that launch people in the air for combat. Ridleys weight will become lighter in the air and heavier on the ground to balancce it out.

Specials:

B- Plasma Sphere: Ridley shoots a small fire ball that does minimal damage and knockback. The longer the player witholds from using it, the bigger and more powerful it gets. It works like Wario Waft

Side B- Typhoon Wing: a sigiture attack of his as seen in the SSE. Ridley vionlently flaps his wings causing a powerful gust in front of him. The wind pushes people back and can deflect items and projectiles.

Up B- Dive Bomb: Ridley jumps up in the air to grab a nearby enemy, if the move succedes he will grab on to the opponent and dive down to inflict damage.

Down B- Sky Fire: Ridley launches himself up and remains in the air for a breif seconed. During this if the player presses B agian he will shoot a fire ball in downward diagonal angle. Using this move in the air will have him automatically shoot the fire ball. If you know True Ogre from Tekken or Lizardman(Aeon) in Soul Calibur 5 then you know what im talking about.

Final Smash: Space Pirate Armada: Basically Pits FS from Brawl but with space pirates. Ridley enters an infinit flight mode and can fly around and shoot fire like Yoshi while his lackies are attcking everyone on the battlefield.
Heres a moveset I made a few pages back feel free to use any of my Ideas if you want.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Shameless repost of my specials/custom ideas

B1 Ridley pulls his head back and flames are seen, Ridley is charging a fireball! Ridley is able to tilt his head to aim and when the B button is released, a fireball is spat out!
B2 The same, only spitting 3 small fireballs and Ridley is able to jump when using the move
B3 More startup lag, no aiming, but it pushes enemies back and propels Ridley in the opposite direction he is facing
Side 1 Ridley rushes to the enemy and his entire body is a hitbox, pretty fast and can be tilted upwards or downwards
Side 2 Longer distance, but instead of tackling, Ridley grabs the first foe he collides with, air grabs work in this way aswell!
Side 3 Less range but more power!
Up 1 Ridley jumps quickly and can fly freely for a few seconds, the jump has a hitbox
Up 2 The same as 1, but no damage traded for longer flight and a slight speed boost
Up 3 Wolf's Up B
Down 1 Deep Breathing, and if it works, Ridley gains his black armour, it makes him hit slightly harder, super armour and reflects weaker projectile. Breaks at 20% damage
Down 2 Ridley will not gain his armour, but a speed boost 5 seconds
Down 3 Ridley gains a power boost for 3-6 seconds

Malkior7

Majestic Space Pirate
NNID
Sagittarius
3DS FC
4167-5777-1464
Oh ****, I'm sorry it was a reccuring problem when I made the list I sometimes forget to add the some fans because I was sure that they were already on the list, all my apologies Sagittarius you have course been added ^^'
ah thank you and no worries friend mistakes happens :grin:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Miiverse truly is stupid. somone posted

"I just thought of a solution that would make people on both sides of the Ridley arguement happy. Some people want him playable, and some people want him not playable, so why not just meet in the middle and make him an assist trophy?"

but what hurts the most are the comments.

"sounds like a good plan"
"you should be making this game!"
"I don't know why I didn't think of that myself!"

I comment to explain why that solution only makes one side happy, not both, without being insulting or anything, and get reported for bullying.
#donewithmiiverse

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

"I just thought of a solution that would make people on both sides of the Ridley arguement happy. Some people want him playable, and some people want him not playable, so why not just meet in the middle and make him an assist trophy?"

I comment to explain why that solution only makes one side happy, not both, without being insulting or anything, and get reported for bullying.
#donewithmiiverse
Man, what a bunch of jokers.(huzzah for me being British for puns!) Ridley WAS actually going to be an AT, but was turned into a boss instead as he was more popular than Dyna Blade, the original boss of SSE

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo

#donewithmiiverse
Join the miiverse master race

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484

#donewithmiiverse
Miiverse is like that younger cousin of yours you're very embarrassed to be with because he's always saying and doing stupid things.

Making Ridley an AT would result in riot.

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
I want the link to that post.
Time to tip the scales!
Robinidley brings the thunder big!

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Miiverse is like that younger cousin of yours you're very embarrassed to be with because he's always saying and doing stupid things.

To be honest, it's better than being a boss.

Also, I got an interesting little brainwave right here. People have said things about the tail pogo attack or similar things being downair or downB. What if this was his Zair attack? Press Z in the air and he attacks downward with the tail, hold the analog stick in a direction to angle it. How obnoxious would this make Ridley?

Last edited:

#donewithmiiverse
The Miiverse....

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Also, I got an interesting little brainwave right here. People have said things about the tail pogo attack or similar things being downair or downB. What if this was his Zair attack? Press Z in the air and he attacks downward with the tail, hold the analog stick in a direction to angle it. How obnoxious would this make Ridley?
I'd rather have that as a Dair and an air grab, but Damn! That's clever! It depends on if it's a spike, like that Ridley would float above platforms and using that! And if it autocancels like every other Zair...Devestation

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
To be honest, it's better than being a boss.

I'd like his Zair to be a forward tail stab, so every Metroid character would have the same spacing options.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223

I'd much rather have Ridley as an assist character than a sluggish pinata on one version of the game.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
I'd rather have that as a Dair and an air grab, but Damn! That's clever! It depends on if it's a spike, like that Ridley would float above platforms and using that! And if it autocancels like every other Zair...Devestation
I'd like his Zair to be a forward tail stab, so every Metroid character would have the same spacing options.
I had actually intended it as an attack that is solely air-to-ground, which is why it can only go downwards and be angled for a bit. I mean if you can fire that thing in every direction I think people would get upset. So no, it can't really be autocanceled because he'd land on his tail anyway.

Then again, I don't know jack about autocanceling and things and stuff and Zairs and their importance in that funny thing you call the Metagame. Maybe it'd be better otherwise.

Last edited:

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Ridley as a boss would result in riot too.

The only outcome that wouldn't result in riot would be him being playable.
What is this nonsense. Of course we would riot. Everyone would riot. Though the proper term would be "violently party our socks of and get sm4shed".

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I had actually intended it as an attack that is solely air-to-ground, which is why it can only go downwards and be angled for a bit. I mean if you can fire that thing in every direction I think people would get upset. So no, it can't really be autocanceled because he'd land on his tail anyway.

Then again, I don't know jack about autocanceling and things and stuff and Zairs and their importance in that funny thing you call the Metagame. Maybe it'd be better otherwise.
I'm in a similar situation. Autocancel is that the ending lag of a move dissapears when you hit the floor, like every other Zair
Ridley as a boss would result in riot too.

The only outcome that wouldn't result in riot would be him being playable.
The toobigots will riot if that happens!

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I wonder when people say he would look awkward, have they even played the Metroid series? Any game? Pinball even, perhaps?
They are just anti-Ridley. When I first heard someone say they wanted Ridley to be playable, I think it was Rabbidluigi, I thought to myself sizing down would have to be important but I could see it happening. Also, they refuse to acknowledge Roidley being buff

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
So what are Ridley's chances of being in as of now? I'm lost.
His shadow in the direct is suspiciously small among other things. Ridley will probably be in unless Sakurai wanted to hype up a bossley. Which, considering how much more involved they are with the fanbase, would make little to no sense.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Warning Received
hey guys i found a new LEAK!!!:dazwa:

ridley reuterned as a boss and Geno CONFIRMED!!!

the leaker did post this and this is the final roster the leaker said
''geno is a new pokemon rep and he replaced falco and he is the new fox clone but dont worry falco will be a DLC and ridley isnt playable in SSB4 because he is TOO BIG so sakurai did wanted to add baby ridley to make ridley fans HAPPY and goku was confirmed because FANS wanted him''
ITS REAL GUYS!!!
R
E
A
L
:troll:

Attachments

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

''geno is a new pokemon rep and he replaced falco and he is the new fox clone but dont worry falco will be a DLC and ridley isnt playable in SSB4 because he is TOO BIG so sakurai did wanted to add baby ridley to make ridley fans HAPPY and goku was confirmed because FANS wanted him''
ITS REAL GUYS!!!
R
E
A
L

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I think this is the best reply of all time about Ridley.

This is from Bill Trinen, the Nintendo guy.

https://twitter.com/trintran/status/505927970192502784
Bill Trinen should get a raise for that.

Being anxious about Ridley's status and just out of sheer boredom I came up with a simple moveset for him.

Main gimmick: like other newcomers Ridley would probably have some type of gimmick incorporated into his moves. The most obvious choice would be a flight mechanic. Instead of having multiple jumps like Pit or Charizard, his second jump will have him be in a flight state and can maneuver around in the air for a limited time using the control stick. This gives him better control over opponents in the air rather on the ground. With that said he would be quite sluggish on land but would utilize powerfull jab attacks that launch people in the air for combat. Ridleys weight will become lighter in the air and heavier on the ground to balancce it out.

Specials:

B- Plasma Sphere: Ridley shoots a small fire ball that does minimal damage and knockback. The longer the player witholds from using it, the bigger and more powerful it gets. It works like Wario Waft

Side B- Typhoon Wing: a sigiture attack of his as seen in the SSE. Ridley vionlently flaps his wings causing a powerful gust in front of him. The wind pushes people back and can deflect items and projectiles.

Up B- Dive Bomb: Ridley jumps up in the air to grab a nearby enemy, if the move succedes he will grab on to the opponent and dive down to inflict damage.
Down B- Sky Fire: Ridley launches himself up and remains in the air for a breif seconed. During this if the player presses B agian he will shoot a fire ball in downward diagonal angle. Using this move in the air will have him automatically shoot the fire ball. If you know True Ogre from Tekken or Lizardman(Aeon) in Soul Calibur 5 then you know what im talking about.

Final Smash: Space Pirate Armada: Basically Pits FS from Brawl but with space pirates. Ridley enters an infinit flight mode and can fly around and shoot fire like Yoshi while his lackies are attcking everyone on the battlefield.
I was thinking something like this. I don't really care about the names of the moves. I'm sure someone else can do a better job. Nor am I the most creative when it comes to movesets.

B - Plasma Shot: Ridley shoots a single large, slow fireball forward. And it explodes on contact. It's a bit hard to use on 1 on 1, due to being easier to spot and avoid. But it can work on well in more hectic free for all fights. In the air, the Plasma Shot moves in an angle, similar to Akuma's Air Hadokens in Street Fighter.

Side-B - Dash Grab: While dashing straight forward, Ridley will hold out one arm. Anyone who touches him during the dash will be grabbed and tossed upward. This can work as one of his better K.O attacks. In the air, Ridley will toss his enemy downwards, while remaining airborne for a short while.

Up-B - Hyper Jump: Ridley flaps his wings and he flies straight up. Anyone next to him while he flaps his wings will be pushed by a gust of wind. When he is flying up, this attack will do a small amount of damage. It can be aimed slightly.

Down-B - Power Dive: In Metroid Prime 1, Ridley had a stomp move that caused a shockwave. This move would work in a similar manner. On the ground, this move has a slightly bigger hit box than the Bowser Bomb. But in return, it does much less damage. If the opponent is hit with this move in the air, they will be spiked downwards.

Last edited:

T-Hell

Smash Lord

ITS REAL GUYS!!!
R
E
A
L
SOMEBODY TELL ME SINCE WHEN IS GENO FROM POKEMON!

Top Bottom