• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

MewtwoX825

Smash Ace
Being anxious about Ridley's status and just out of sheer boredom I came up with a simple moveset for him.

Main gimmick: like other newcomers Ridley would probably have some type of gimmick incorporated into his moves. The most obvious choice would be a flight mechanic. Instead of having multiple jumps like Pit or Charizard, his second jump will have him be in a flight state and can maneuver around in the air for a limited time using the control stick. This gives him better control over opponents in the air rather on the ground. With that said he would be quite sluggish on land but would utilize powerfull jab attacks that launch people in the air for combat. Ridleys weight will become lighter in the air and heavier on the ground to balancce it out.

Specials:

B- Plasma Sphere: Ridley shoots a small fire ball that does minimal damage and knockback. The longer the player witholds from using it, the bigger and more powerful it gets. It works like Wario Waft

Side B- Typhoon Wing: a sigiture attack of his as seen in the SSE. Ridley vionlently flaps his wings causing a powerful gust in front of him. The wind pushes people back and can deflect items and projectiles.

Up B- Dive Bomb: Ridley jumps up in the air to grab a nearby enemy, if the move succedes he will grab on to the opponent and dive down to inflict damage.

Down B- Sky Fire: Ridley launches himself up and remains in the air for a breif seconed. During this if the player presses B agian he will shoot a fire ball in downward diagonal angle. Using this move in the air will have him automatically shoot the fire ball. If you know True Ogre from Tekken or Lizardman(Aeon) in Soul Calibur 5 then you know what im talking about.

Final Smash: Space Pirate Armada: Basically Pits FS from Brawl but with space pirates. Ridley enters an infinit flight mode and can fly around and shoot fire like Yoshi while his lackies are attcking everyone on the battlefield.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 245254

Jesus what's with all the negativity around Ridley right now? Oh he's not in one all-star screen that is part of a commercial, so deconfirmed? Even if you'd hate seeing Ridley more than anything else in the world, you've got to admit that Sakurai has been teasing him for a while without directly stating his role, and you think he'd let that build up for whatever end with a damn commercial? Really?

Look Sakurai doesn't always do what the fans want, but Ridley undeniably is a character that Sakurai has acknowledged and I don't believe that Sakurai would be this cruel to Ridley fans by making him a boss and then teasing him without just letting us down easily during the direct back in April. There's no reason to drag this out unless Sakurai is really that out of touch with the fans and what they want, and if anything every part of the Smash 4 development process has shown this to be to the contrary. It's crazy to think Ridley is going to be confirmed or deconfirmed from anything other than Sakurai himself or another leak which is very unlikely at this point I think.

I guess I should especially be expecting the detractors to be out in full force this close to Japanese release date, but I mean come on, I'd rather this thread ride on in brotherly love in support of Ridley waiting for the final hour rather than escalate into a flame war between the two sides of Ridley being playable or not...
NO HE HASN'T.

He showed the clip of his wing once in the April direct on Pyrosphere, and vaguely mentioned his presence in regards to Pyrosphere in a POTD.

THIS DOES NOT EQUATE TO
"teasing him for a while".

What makes Ridley so much more special than any other character in the game that'd he be giving Ridley special treatment like this?

Last edited by a moderator:

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044
It's also plausible they just do away with the icons as a whole and continue letting the hologram pictures serve their most reasonable purpose.

It's also plausible the icons are still there and the screen size doesn't matter or affect it much.

It's also plausible Ridley is not a playable character.
Hey, no one likes a smart mouth. ):<

Poopmin

Smash Ace
NNID
HotelMario
NO HE HASN'T.

He showed the clip of his wing once in the April direct on Pyrosphere, and vaguely mentioned his presence in regards to Pyrosphere in a POTD.

THIS DOES NOT EQUATE TO

What makes Ridley so much more special than any other character in the game that'd he be giving Ridley special treatment like this?
Yeah it equates to teasing him for five months.

Come on people.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Being anxious about Ridley's status and just out of sheer boredom I came up with a simple moveset for him.

Main gimmick: like other newcomers Ridley would probably have some type of gimmick incorporated into his moves. The most obvious choice would be a flight mechanic. Instead of having multiple jumps like Pit or Charizard, his second jump will have him be in a flight state and can maneuver around in the air for a limited time using the control stick. This gives him better control over opponents in the air rather on the ground. With that said he would be quite sluggish on land but would utilize powerfull jab attacks that launch people in the air for combat. Ridleys weight will become lighter in the air and heavier on the ground to balancce it out.

Specials:

B- Plasma Sphere: Ridley shoots a small fire ball that does minimal damage and knockback. The longer the player witholds from using it, the bigger and more powerful it gets. It works like Wario Waft

Side B- Typhoon Wing: a sigiture attack of his as seen in the SSE. Ridley vionlently flaps his wings causing a powerful gust in front of him. The wind pushes people back and can deflect items and projectiles.

Up B- Dive Bomb: Ridley jumps up in the air to grab a nearby enemy, if the move succedes he will grab on to the opponent and dive down to inflict damage.

Down B- Sky Fire: Ridley launches himself up and remains in the air for a breif seconed. During this if the player presses B agian he will shoot a fireball in downward diagonal angle. If you know True Ogre from Tekken or Lizardman(Aeon) in Soul Calibur 5 then you know what im talking about.

Final Smash: Space Pirate Armada: Basically Pits FS from Brawl but with space pirates. Ridley enters an infinit flight mode and can fly around and shoot fire like Yoshi while his lackies are attcking everyone on the battlefield.
Those moves don't sound half bad. I am specially liking the part about his Side B.

iamresh

Smash Apprentice
NNID
VivillonDoe
3DS FC
1891-1659-0237
Jesus what's with all the negativity around Ridley right now? Oh he's not in one all-star screen that is part of a commercial, so deconfirmed? Even if you'd hate seeing Ridley more than anything else in the world, you've got to admit that Sakurai has been teasing him for a while without directly stating his role, and you think he'd let that build up for whatever end with a damn commercial? Really?

Look Sakurai doesn't always do what the fans want, but Ridley undeniably is a character that Sakurai has acknowledged and I don't believe that Sakurai would be this cruel to Ridley fans by making him a boss and then teasing him without just letting us down easily during the direct back in April. There's no reason to drag this out unless Sakurai is really that out of touch with the fans and what they want, and if anything every part of the Smash 4 development process has shown this to be to the contrary. It's crazy to think Ridley is going to be confirmed or deconfirmed from anything other than Sakurai himself or another leak which is very unlikely at this point I think.

I guess I should especially be expecting the detractors to be out in full force this close to Japanese release date, but I mean come on, I'd rather this thread ride on in brotherly love in support of Ridley waiting for the final hour rather than escalate into a flame war between the two sides of Ridley being playable or not...
a resolve that isnt broken by a picture that most people lose some resolve over. our glorious commander would be proud of such an honorary space pirate.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
NO HE HASN'T.

THIS DOES NOT EQUATE TO

Well, I would definitely call that shadow in the Direct a "tease," as it showed us something that was in the game without actually telling us what it was. And I would say that the timespan of several months is "a while."

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044
Well, I would definitely call that shadow in the Direct a "tease," as it showed us something that was in the game without actually telling us what it was. And I would say that the timespan of several months is "a while."
Sadly, this can relate in a way to Metal Face...unless Ridley makes it an exception due to his unrivalled fan popularity.

iamresh

Smash Apprentice
NNID
VivillonDoe
3DS FC
1891-1659-0237
Sadly, this can relate in a way to Metal Face...unless Ridley makes it an exception due to his unrivalled fan popularity.
even though metal face was shown as a shadow, it was during the animation. not during gameplay

:4greninja:'d

Last edited:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
NO HE HASN'T.

THIS DOES NOT EQUATE TO

Regardless, If all Sakurai did was "He showed the clip of his wing once in the April direct on Pyrosphere, and vaguely mentioned his presence in regards to Pyrosphere in a POTD." implying he meant Ridley being a stage boss, then WHY THE BLOODY CRAP does it take an ENTIRE YEAR just to go, "tee hee jk guys, Ridley's a boss". Why take all this time to not explain what Ridley does as a boss, when basically every other boss got explained of their role, some if not mostly.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
NO HE HASN'T.

THIS DOES NOT EQUATE TO

I'll concede that those are the only instances you can really say that relate to Ridley, but what else do you call those really? Hinting I guess? It's implying that Ridley is in the game without directly saying that Ridley is in the game. I'm not saying it's teasing for him to playable necessarily when just looking at it in an objective light, it's just hinting at his inclusion in some form technically. But I just have a tendency to lean towards the thought that even if this wasn't Sakurai's intention in referencing Ridley on Pyrosphere, that at some point he would have been aware that a fan base was going wild over his potential inclusion and would have stopped that with a deconfirmation. I mean Sakurai said that he didn't want to create fake hype regarding the game, so this would be completely against that ideology if Ridley turns out to not be in. And that's where I come from in supporting Ridley as playable I guess despite some of the stuff that could be argued against his inclusion.

As for what might potentially make Ridley so special in comparison to other characters is well us, his fairly sizable fan base of very dedicated supporters that could easily be thrown into such speculation and hype by these simple little things. He's been desired for a while now as well so there's that. Honestly there's no real reason to give him a special treatment other than that little bit, but that doesn't mean it's not possible for Ridley to receive it. It seems like Sakurai has at least admitted to knowing what the fans talk about or say in regards to the game (Like Chrom deconfirmation in the Robin trailer, but I guess that could have just accidentally turned out that way honestly), so I don't know why he wouldn't know at least something about one of the largest parts of the fan base and our excitement levels for that character.

Not trying to necessarily start anything, just trying to state the way I see things and the belief that I have in Sakurai's awareness surrounding the game and more directly Ridley, as well as his devotion to the fans that has been shown so far.

Last edited:

James Phillips

Smash Journeyman
Unlike other characters, Ridley is in the position that if he's not playable he'll be a boss. Meaning that his chances to be playable through DLC are slim to none.

And then the cycle begins a new when the next game is announced.

D

Deleted member 245254

Regardless, If all Sakurai did was "He showed the clip of his wing once in the April direct on Pyrosphere, and vaguely mentioned his presence in regards to Pyrosphere in a POTD." implying he meant Ridley being a stage boss, then WHY THE BLOODY CRAP does it take an ENTIRE YEAR just to go, "tee hee jk guys, Ridley's a boss". Why take all this time to not explain what Ridley does as a boss, when basically every other boss got explained of their role, some if not mostly.
Because he wasn't teased as playable in the first place and revealing a stage boss is not a high priority? Especially when it's already obvious who it is?

the101

Smash Journeyman
Outside Bandai Namco Studios with Binoculars...
3DS FC
4854-7073-5738
Metal Face is an important antagonist of Xenoblade, true. But he is not in the same position as Ridley. Ridley has seniority as a old reoccurring Nintendo character and in being the main antagonist of the Metroid series.

PowerBomb

Smash Master
NO HE HASN'T.

THIS DOES NOT EQUATE TO

How is this not teasing him for a while? We've been teased with a mention, a shadow viewing, and a very small part of a working model. Those seem like teases to me. Ridley's full model hasn't even been revealed yet. Stage boss or not, he has been teased.

EDIT: You seem to not want a playable Ridley in this game. While that's fine and dandy since he's apparently a stage boss, why do you not want him? Coming into a thread where a bunch of people want him playable and then insisting he isn't sounds like you just want to make people angry.

Last edited:

TheWozny

Smash Ace
NNID
Woznito
So, I must remind you all of the impeding doom in 250 pages. Once we reach that dreaded day, I believe we need a plan for continuation of this thread. Like the space pirates, we must prepare. Any ideas?

Captain Soviet

Smash Apprentice
Hey, remember that one time Sakurai didn't bother to confirm Sable Prince's role because it was obvious what he was?
Or Takumaru?
Or Waluigi?
Or Brittany?
Or Chrom?
Or any other Assist Trophy/NPC?

Good times.

iamresh

Smash Apprentice
NNID
VivillonDoe
3DS FC
1891-1659-0237
i dont understand why people still relate ridley to metal face. metal face's shadow and voice was shown in a trailer cutscene. NOT GAMEPLAY.

So, I must remind you all of the impeding doom in 250 pages. Once we reach that dreaded day, I believe we need a plan for continuation of this thread. Like the space pirates, we must prepare. Any ideas?
#RidleyIsTheException apparently

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 245254

Just because he didn't clarify a hint doesn't mean he's been consistently teasing you for months. The tease is a tease. In the very moment it happened. It was not some long ordeal like he's been bringing Ridley hints up time after time, after time.

He mentioned him twice, indirectly, one of those times with in-game visual representation.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Because he wasn't teased as playable in the first place and revealing a stage boss is not a high priority? Especially when it's already obvious who it is?
In that case, why not clarify that Ridley is just a boss with an official statement, or something? After all, that's what they did when Prince Sable and Chrom were shown to be in the game in an (at the time) unspecified role, despite it being pretty obvious what kind of role they were in. Why is Ridley the exception here?

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
Just because he didn't clarify a hint doesn't mean he's been consistently teasing you for months. The tease is a tease. In the very moment it happened. It was not some long ordeal like he's been bringing Ridley hints up time after time, after time.

He mentioned him twice, indirectly, one of those times with in-game visual representation.
If i my ask why are you in a ridley thread dissing ridley.Yeah that's going to make lots of friends and supporters

iamresh

Smash Apprentice
NNID
VivillonDoe
3DS FC
1891-1659-0237
If i my ask why are you in a ridley thread dissing ridley.Yeah that's going to make lots of friends and supporters
this isn't the first time he has done this in the thread, which is why i think we should start ignoring him so history doesnt repeat itself again. having the same arguments with the same detractor gets annoying sometimes

D

Deleted member 245254

In that case, why not clarify that Ridley is just a boss with an official statement, or something? After all, that's what they did when Prince Sable and Chrom were shown to be in the game in an (at the time) unspecified role, despite it being pretty obvious what kind of role they were in. Why is Ridley the exception here?
Something you might consider is that Sakurai being aware of the Ridley fan base is completely separate from his plausibility of being in the game.

I'm perfectly aware he probably knows people want Ridley in. He probably knows people want a whole litany of other characters, but not every character is in. The roster was finalized at the beginning of the games development. Some characters ended up as more than alternate costumes, getting their own slot.

Him knowing about the Ridley fan base doesn't automatically mean Ridley is in, those are two individually separate factors.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
If we get to 2000 pages before Ridley's inclusion, then I think it would be the end of the Ridley support thread in it's entirety. At that point, there wouldn't be a reason to start a continuation thread with only one or two weeks left before the JP Smash Bros. release. Once Sakurai reveal Ridley as a playable character, then we could start a new thread, "The Ridley Social Thread".

EDIT:

this isn't the first time he has done this in the thread, which is why i think we should start ignoring him so history doesnt repeat itself again. having the same arguments with the same detractor gets annoying sometimes
Keep in mind, this is the Ridley Discussion Thread (at least it was named that way before, I think) where supporters and (friendly) detractors are welcomed to talk about what they think about Ridley. Though this kind of discussion has been brought up by him before, as long as he stays civil about the situation, then we have to give him the opportunity to say what he wants to say. (Despite how tedious it is.)

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Something you might consider is that Sakurai being aware of the Ridley fan base is completely separate from his plausibility of being in the game.

I'm perfectly aware he probably knows people want Ridley in. He probably knows people want a whole litany of other characters, but not every character is in. The roster was finalized at the beginning of the games development. Some characters ended up as more than alternate costumes, getting their own slot.

Him knowing about the Ridley fan base doesn't automatically mean Ridley is in, those are two individually separate factors.
That's... almost entirely unrelated to the point I was making.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Remember the notorious Pokemon Round All Star in brawl?
I think that the reason Pit, Rob, and Palutena not appear on the list is that it breaks into 2 part rather than 10 to 11 characters in a round, so it can give player a break in between.
That would make sense, but ROB comes before Peach and Bowser, while Pit and Palutena come after Samus and Ridley. The more logical way to go about it is by having it go like "ROB - Peach - Bowser - Link - Zelda" followed by "Samus - Ridley? - Pit - Palutena".

I mean, seeing as they're ordered by chronological order already.

D

Deleted member 245254

That's... almost entirely unrelated to the point I was making.
You directly correlated Sakurai's awareness of the fan base to Ridleys chances of being playable in the game. Don't get dementia on me.

That would make sense, but ROB comes before Peach and Bowser, while Pit and Palutena come after Samus and Ridley. The more logical way to go about it is by having it go like "ROB - Peach - Bowser - Link - Zelda" followed by "Samus - Ridley? - Pit - Palutena".

I mean, seeing as they're ordered by chronological order already.
Maybe the fight with ROB already happened?

Edit : accidental double post

iamresh

Smash Apprentice
NNID
VivillonDoe
3DS FC
1891-1659-0237
so why are we having yet another argument session with the same detractor? i thought we decided to ignore him a while back lol

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044
*sigh* @ IsmaR IsmaR , we need you to do your magic.

While everyone else here is afraid of this thread being perma-locked, I'm not; as long as it gets @Zipzo to stop pissing people off when we ask of him to LEAVE US ALONE, AND LET US SUPPORT RIDLEY IN PEACE! Have you devoted your life in making sure we're wrong? If we aren't willing to change our mind, then why do you bother coming back here?

TheWozny

Smash Ace
NNID
Woznito

I'mma just help you out before a Mod has to come in an stop this. I ask you, stop arguing about a character in a video game. If you don't like what we have to say, go on 4chan or w/e and write about how dumb we are, I could care less. I just ask that you let us have our safe haven, eh?

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
You directly correlated Sakurai's awareness of the fan base to Ridleys chances of being playable in the game. Don't get dementia on me.
Ok...

I said that two characters that were revealed to be in the game in unspecified roles had their roles clarified later that same day through official statements, either from Twitter or from Nintendo itself.

Ridley was revealed to be in the game in an unspecified role, yet his role was never clarified.

That has nothing to do with awareness of Ridley's fan base; it's simply a matter of Sakurai doing things a certain way 99% of the time, and then inexplicably doing something different in one particular instance.

iamresh

Smash Apprentice
NNID
VivillonDoe
3DS FC
1891-1659-0237

While everyone else here is afraid of this thread being perma-locked, I'm not; as long as it gets @Zipzo to stop pissing people off when we ask of him to LEAVE US ALONE, AND LET US SUPPORT RIDLEY IN PEACE! Have you devoted your life in making sure we're wrong? If we aren't willing to change our mind, then why do you bother coming back here?
its quite ironic people are afraid of the thread being perma-locked, yet keep making the same mistakes that usually get ismaR to either warn or lock it for a day or so

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 245254

Can you stop being a taddle tale running to the mods at every single little whim?

I'm not trolling I'm just strongly against what evidence people cite for his inclusion.

I think it'd be great if he was in.

MischF

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TrueMischF

I don't think Ismar will get that upset at Zipzo because s/he doesn't seem to be getting offensive about his/her opinon (except maybe the one post with bolding and big font but I doubt it). To be honest some people are just getting too defensive but I've seen it much worse in here. But I do have to question why anyone would want to have the same rehashed arguments about Ridley all the time. Especially when it is with the same person.

Last edited:

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044
Can you stop being a taddle tale running to the mods at every single little whim?

I'm not trolling I'm just strongly against what evidence people cite for his inclusion.

Then I kindly ask that you drop the debate; this is a support thread, not a debate thread. I don't want anyone crushing anyone else's dreams except Sakurai, himself. While no one likes a taddle tale, there are even more that don't like a party pooper.

Last edited:

iamresh

Smash Apprentice
NNID
VivillonDoe
3DS FC
1891-1659-0237

its not that we are doing that at every whim. its that this isnt the first time that the people in this thread have argued with you when you say that some of the evidence makes no sense, so of course the mods would do something about it, though i will admit some of the supporters are being too defensive about this (another reason mods would do something about it)

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
its quite ironic people are afraid of the thread being perma-locked, yet keep making the same mistakes that usually get ismaR to either warn or lock it for a day or so
Well, it's hard to really know what's a problem and what isn't. People are giving a detractor his share of the opinion cake, but it might end up off-topic. Then we say "let's just ignore him" over and over and we get marked as spamming. It really feels like a lose-lose situation being here sometimes.

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895

Sakurai's awareness of the fanbase IS directly related to Sakurai's views on false hype, though. If Sakurai knows about the Ridley fanbase, he knows there are tons of people who are viewing him "ambiguously". Exactly the same way people did Chrom and Prince Sablé. Thus, as with those two, he would explicitly disconfirm Ridley.

Top Bottom