• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

cybersai

Smash Ace
Would you guys be fine with Ridley being a Charizard clone? At this point I'm so desperate for Ridley seeing him be a Charizard clone would be fine for me.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I'm very sorry for not being clear enough.
Eiter we get him pre release or October 3rd.
I believe that we got Shulk right before the japanese release to hype them. We get Ridley to hype us, that is why we know of this trailet so early.
The japanese game will then be patched to unclude Ridley without spoiling the suprise.
Is that even possible?

A non dlc being added to the roster later on?

The dectractors will be pound us with this till that if true.

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
Would you guys be fine with Ridley being a Charizard clone? At this point I'm so desperate for Ridley seeing him be a Charizard clone would be fine for me.
I'd prefer him to be original,
semi clone would be okay

Is that even possible?

A non dlc being added to the roster later on?

The dectractors will be pound us with this till that if true.
It MIGHT be possible, considering the circumstances this is what I think.

That would just make them look worse in the end.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 245254

Like I said, while that may as well be the case, the other scenario I proposed is also plausible. There's really no way of knowing.

Also, I thought the idea of playable bosses was debunked some time ago.

And did you just implied Ridley is too big...?
It's plausible, but not probable.

Malkior7

Majestic Space Pirate
NNID
Sagittarius
3DS FC
4167-5777-1464
I wouldn't be happy but if it gets him in as a playable character I would tolerate it

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Oh boy, this question again.

Er, well, if he ends up being a clone, then that'd mean he wasn't planned from the beginning at all, and that Sakurai has never realized how much people wanted him after Brawl, only realizing so late in development, and don't do him the justice he deserves. So even though I'd be glad he's in at all, I'd be annoyed about the fact that Sakurai put little to no effort into him.

Thank goodness his wonky proportions makes it hard to be a clone of anyone.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Despite me not playing a Metroid game before, Ridley being a Charizard clone could happen, but that would be completely lazy of Sakurai and the dev team. Ridley has been shown to have a unique and promising moveset in the Metroid games and to not use any of those aspects would piss me off, even though I never played the games. So no, I wouldn't be fine to have him a Charizard clone, at least to me. If being a boss hazard, or even a playable boss hazard (who would be a slow, boring, terribly inaccurate to Ridley's personality of being a ruthless, cunning, and powerful Space Dragon he's known to be) isn't a good idea to us, then Ridley being a clone to anyone, knowing he has so much moveset potential wouldn't be ideal to anyone.

Last edited:

Poopmin

Smash Ace
NNID
HotelMario
That would heavily imply that sakurai doesn't care enough to try to get Ridley to work or he was a late addition given no thought beyond a good model and believable movements.

This would not be Ridley, this would be Charizardley, breaking rocks with his head and charging headfirst with recoil. This is not the strategist I know, this is not the space pirate I know. This is some no effort attempt to appease fans.

This is like giving Ganondorf, the prince of evil, Captain Falcon's movese-

Oh wait, they already did that.

Last edited:

Ridles the Space Pirate

Smash Journeyman
Did he really did that joke?

RIDLEY CONFIRMED!!! :troll:

(just to be clear, this^ was straw grasping).

On a side note, what was the all star pic? Didn't see it.
That's it, spongebob confirmed. Miiverse was right all along. Now I just have to wait for Goku, Shrek, and minecraft steve. Ridley never had a chance to begin with these heavy hitters in.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
It's plausible, but not probable.
Well, think about it. With the 3DS's small screen (compared to a TV screen), the small icons that appear at the upper corner wouldn't be distinguishable and there would be way too many of them and cover the screen. The likely solution would be to just remove them, but then how will you tell who's gonna be next? Simple; combine both the portraits of the character you'll be facing next battle with the icons, and you'll get what you see. A group of portraits, with the one at the beginning showing the one you'd be fighting first, then the one you'll be fighting next, etc, and with every defeated character another one shifts into the list.

I mean, given, it's not as likely as I'd hope it'd be, but it's still plausible, and even probable... to a degree.

Mansana

Smash Apprentice

My thoughts on this are that in melee, order was pretty random. This was interesting because in Melee it introduced an increase in fighters up to a max of 3 as the rounds progressed. Mr. G&W... meh....

In Brawl, the order was franchise themed. With no limit to the number of characters that could appear. However, the fact that it was this way, sometimes you faced up to 1 character, and the challenge aspect was thrown all over the place. Because the number of characters wasn't consistent, the overall feel of allstar mode felt quite odd. The maximum number of cpu's that you would fight in brawl was 4, (but 2 at a time where defeating one character would get replaced with the next cpu).

So in this edition of allstar mode they went time themed? So according to that, it has come to my understanding that the order of when the characters made their appearance is shown from top left to bottom right. But why would they not put Ridley next to Samus? Numbers reason of course. They want to keep each round consistent with the number of fighters. 5 to me seems like an ideal number of fighters per allstar round. With this we can assume that Ridley could appear in the next match up from 1986 - 198X. I just feel like this theme is still inconsistent in some aspects to the point where they are trying to control how Allstar is setup, in a similar fashion to Brawl's but with a more consistent number approach. Nothing is set and stone just from one picture. It could be that they could also make adjustments, such as create a clone round, or third party round, etc.

Ridley won't get deconfirmed unless it comes straight from Daddy Sakurai.

Eisendrachen

Smash Hero
NNID
Das_Ritter
3DS FC
5026-4732-8503
Would you guys be fine with Ridley being a Charizard clone?
Thank goodness his wonky proportions makes it hard to be a clone of anyone.
>What is Donkey Kong.

Seriously, Ridley's proportions are closer to Donkey Kong than Charizard. Have DK spit fire for his neutral special, give him wings and a usable tail, oh look it's Ridley! :glare:

Come to think of it, making him a semi/clone of DK helps with the earlier grapple-centric discussion...

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
The fact that Bill replied to that is priceless, and it honestly gives me some hope.

Also, I recommend following the twitter he replied to. @PleaseJCplz

It's so damn funny

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
As much as I hate the idea and I don't think it would work because of how different he is from Charazard, I'd put up with it becuase he would finally be in. But I doubt he is a clone, they just have too much to work with Ridley to make hima clone.

D

Deleted member

I wouldn't mind as I can't really see him as a complete clone. At most, compared to charizard, he would be what Jigglypuff is to kirby.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 245254

Well, think about it. With the 3DS's small screen (compared to a TV screen), the small icons that appear at the upper corner wouldn't be distinguishable and there would be way too many of them and cover the screen. The likely solution would be to just remove them, but then how will you tell who's gonna be next? Simple; combine both the portraits of the character you'll be facing next battle with the icons, and you'll get what you see. A group of portraits, with the one at the beginning showing the one you'd be fighting first, then the one you'll be fighting next, etc, and with every defeated character another one shifts into the list.

I mean, given, it's not as likely as I'd hope it'd be, but it's still plausible, and even probable... to a degree.
It's also plausible they just do away with the icons as a whole and continue letting the hologram pictures serve their most reasonable purpose.

It's also plausible the icons are still there and the screen size doesn't matter or affect it much.

It's also plausible Ridley is not a playable character.

My thoughts on this are that in melee, order was pretty random. This was interesting because in Melee it introduced an increase in fighters up to a max of 3 as the rounds progressed. Mr. G&W... meh....

In Brawl, the order was franchise themed. With no limit to the number of characters that could appear. However, the fact that it was this way, sometimes you faced up to 1 character, and the challenge aspect was thrown all over the place. Because the number of characters wasn't consistent, the overall feel of allstar mode felt quite odd. The maximum number of cpu's that you would fight in brawl was 4, (but 2 at a time where defeating one character would get replaced with the next cpu).

So in this edition of allstar mode they went time themed? So according to that, it has come to my understanding that the order of when the characters made their appearance is shown from top left to bottom right. But why would they not put Ridley next to Samus? Numbers reason of course. They want to keep each round consistent with the number of fighters. 5 to me seems like an ideal number of fighters per allstar round. With this we can assume that Ridley could appear in the next match up from 1986 - 198X. I just feel like this theme is still inconsistent in some aspects to the point where they are trying to control how Allstar is setup, in a similar fashion to Brawl's but with a more consistent number approach. Nothing is set and stone just from one picture. It could be that they could also make adjustments, such as create a clone round, or third party round, etc.

Remember the notorious Pokemon Round All Star in brawl?
I think that the reason Pit, Rob, and Palutena not appear on the list is that it breaks into 2 part rather than 10 to 11 characters in a round, so it can give player a break in between.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Why are people still worrying about the allstar thing?
It's more like the people who still has doubts about Ridley's inclusion keeps bringing back this dead argument and the people who believes in Ridley's inclusion are questioning what does this have to do with Ridley. IMO, until another screenshot appears where Sammy isn't at the end of the list and no sign of Ridley is located next to her, THEN I'll worry about this.

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
Why are people giving up Hope for ridley just like that.One screenshot doesn't change anything.Especially a screenshot missing characters(Also add me to that supporters list.I've been commenting on this thing since i first got here.)

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044

Wow, I love that thought! Think of it; do you really so many enemies crunched together without any breaks?

Ridley's still looking dandy, I hope! ^^

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Jesus what's with all the negativity around Ridley right now? Oh he's not in one all-star screen that is part of a commercial, so deconfirmed? Even if you'd hate seeing Ridley more than anything else in the world, you've got to admit that Sakurai has been teasing him for a while without directly stating his role, and you think he'd let that build up for whatever end with a damn commercial? Really?

Look Sakurai doesn't always do what the fans want, but Ridley undeniably is a character that Sakurai has acknowledged and I don't believe that Sakurai would be this cruel to Ridley fans by making him a boss and then teasing him without just letting us down easily during the direct back in April. There's no reason to drag this out unless Sakurai is really that out of touch with the fans and what they want, and if anything every part of the Smash 4 development process has shown this to be to the contrary. It's crazy to think Ridley is going to be confirmed or deconfirmed from anything other than Sakurai himself or another leak which is very unlikely at this point I think.

I guess I should especially be expecting the detractors to be out in full force this close to Japanese release date, but I mean come on, I'd rather this thread ride on in brotherly love in support of Ridley waiting for the final hour rather than escalate into a flame war between the two sides of Ridley being playable or not...

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
If Ridley turns out being a boss and not playable, then what do you think his chances are at being DLC?
Most likely very slim as being implemented as a boss would of meant Sakurai had no intention of Ridley being playable, period. (Unless he's a playable boss, but that's just not a good idea at all) So Ridley's either a normal, playable character or he's just a stage hazard, a bad one at that. The only way Ridley makes it in if he's not playable in Smash 4 is to hope for his inclusion in Smash 5, which isn't all that likely in the first place.

I guess I should especially be expecting the detractors to be out in full force this close to Japanese release date, but I mean come on, I'd rather this thread ride on in brotherly love in support of Ridley waiting for the final hour rather than escalate into a flame war between the two sides of Ridley being playable or not...
Well, what can you say. Haters gonna hate. People just hate on anything for no damn reason at all. And for what? A fictional character getting into a video game? That's a pretty petty reason to do as a person.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
It's also plausible they just do away with the icons as a whole and continue letting the hologram pictures serve their most reasonable purpose.

It's also plausible the icons are still there and the screen size doesn't matter or affect it much.

It's also plausible Ridley is not a playable character.
Basically, lots of possibilities are plausible.

The All-Star mode holograms functioning the same as they have in previous games is plausible.

The All-Star mode holograms functioning differently than they have in previous games is plausible.

Ridley not being playable is plausible.

Ridley being playable is plausible.

We're not going to get anywhere with this.

D

Deleted member 245254

Basically, lots of possibilities are plausible.

The All-Star mode holograms functioning the same as they have in previous games is plausible.

The All-Star mode holograms functioning differently than they have in previous games is plausible.

Ridley not being playable is plausible.

Ridley being playable is plausible.

We're not going to get anywhere with this.
Which is exactly why I bank the argument on what's more probable, not plausible.

Top Bottom