• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
A glide would be good for Charizard.

Speaking of jumps, how many jumps would Ridley have? I'd guess 3-4 and then an Up B and a glide.
I always envisioned Ridley's float being multi-directional instead of one-track. If that was the case, I don't think he'd need any more than three jumps total. He can have amazing recovery abilities beyond all other characters, it's the effectiveness of the recovery and his size that would keep it from being too broken for the actual game.

Last edited:

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
I can tell Rodley ain't no clone of Charizard.
Hw told me.
(also the direct footage).

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
Big 3 trailer or riot
Don't know about K. Rool, but I could totally see a trailer with Ness vs. Mewtwo and then Rids drops in, and one of the following happens:
1) They all have an epic clash
2) Mewtwo owns for a little but then it's Rids turn
3) Rids wrecks

I would give Ness a definite winning scenario, but for newcomer trailers, the newcomers are always superior to the veterans. So, Rids is going to have to start dominating.

bigbro2233

Smash Journeyman
Don't know about K. Rool, but I could totally see a trailer with Ness vs. Mewtwo and then Rids drops in, and one of the following happens:
3) Rids wrecks

I would give Ness a definite winning scenario, but for newcomer trailers, the newcomers are always superior to the veterans. So, Rids is going to have to start dominating.
Let Mewtwo throw Ness into the Pyrosphere, Ridley's theme starts playing. The two veterans get close, looking all around them. Suddenly, Ridley drops down from the ceiling and roars, and he is confirmed playable. Then gameplay shows him absolutely destroying Ness and Mewtwo.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
3) Rids wrecks

That's not true, Captain Falcon was owning Lucina before Robin stepped in and Captain Falcon somehow got what I like to call "Pokemon Origins Mewtwo Syndrome".

I remember seeing a video with that suggestion, and seeing as Felicia is in your sig, I think it was yours
It most likely was, I put out a video fairly recently on it.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Ah the classic haters running again into our den.

Embrace yourselves, once Ridley is confirmed you will start hiding in the deepest depths of Brinstar, just like Kraid did twice
Retreat to the depths of Norfair! Or Mini-Boss Hideout II if you're classic!

How do you guys think Ridley will do in For Glory mode? Y'know with every stage being Final Destination.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
A glide would be good for Charizard.

Speaking of jumps, how many jumps would Ridley have? I'd guess 3-4 and then an Up B and a glide.
If he gets that flying mechanic, I doubt it will be bound to the customizable Up B and instead be activated similarly to Peach's hover. I'm also pretty certain that the gliding mechanic has been tossed out entirely, but it's not as if Ridley really should have access to 3-4 jumps, AND stellar horizontal recovery and movement, AND even more horizontal recovery for some reason.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
If he gets that flying mechanic, I doubt it will be bound to the customizable Up B and instead be activated similarly to Peach's hover. I'm also pretty certain that the gliding mechanic has been tossed out entirely, but it's not as if Ridley really should have access to 3-4 jumps, AND stellar horizontal recovery and movement, AND even more horizontal recovery for some reason.
MK lost gliding for an extra jump, so there is no reason to complain, and Ridley has slow air speed as seen with the shadow

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Warning Received
We all know Falcon was holding back just to make Robin happy.

Nope, it was totally POMS...

POMS, "Pokemon Origins Mewtwo Syndrome", is the point is when a character, in the place of totally owning/destroying the opposition, somehow goes totally braindead and forgets how to do anything effective all for the sake of plot. There's no explanation, there's no reason, it's just a gigantic brain-fart moment....

I will ride the fact that that Mewtwo should've destroyed that Charizard forever...

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
I thought Palutena's "Jump Glide" was "from a technical standpoint" a hovering move, not a gliding move. Gliding in Smash Brothers always worked by moving forward with a slow descend downward, while hovering moved forward with no descend downward, like Peach's hover ability.

Side Note: Thinking back on that note, doesn't Palutena seem to move really fast during her Jump Glide move?

This also makes me think that the so-called "Flight mechanic" Ridley has in the Direct video might just be a standard Up+B move since Palutena's Up+B seems to have long range.

bigbro2233

Smash Journeyman
Warning Received
Nope, it was totally POMS...

POMS, "Pokemon Origins Mewtwo Syndrome", is the point is when a character, in the place of totally owning/destroying the opposition, somehow goes totally braindead and forgets how to do anything effective all for the sake of plot. There's no explanation, there's no reason, it's just a gigantic brain-fart moment....

I will ride the fact that that Mewtwo should've destroyed that Charizard forever...
Mewtwo. Using. Swift. That is all.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
I thought Palutena's "Jump Glide" was "from a technical standpoint" a hovering move, not a gliding move. Gliding in Smash Brothers always worked by moving forward with a slow descend downward, while hovering moved forward with no descend downward, like Peach's hover ability.

Side Note: Thinking back on that note, doesn't Palutena seem to move really fast during her Jump Glide move?

This also makes me think that the so-called "Flight mechanic" Ridley has in the Direct video might just be a standard Up+B move since Palutena's Up+B seems to have long range.
To elaborate on Palutena's "glide", it's not gliding nor hovering, in terms of mechanics, it's something of its own. Gliding is indeed forward movement and slow descent, but gliding also allows control on the vertical axis, which in turn influences the gliding speed. Hovering is completely horizontal. Palutena's glide is similar to the glide mechanic in that it is forward and downward, but there is no vertical control. In exchange, I believe you can also turn around in the air.

And like I said, Ridley's flight being Up B is possible but seems rather unlikely, as this would be rather hard to properly customize. Not impossible, but hard. I wonder if the flight mechanic may actually be able to give him both horizontal AND vertical movement (a la Pit's UpB in Brawl). That would be....kinda monstrous, possibly.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Thank god I can say it before verdict:

I still believe firmly that Ridley is in as playable.

Same opinion as my 5 hours essay except [almost confirmed].

I can understand what happened yesterday, but I have to tell you something: You're the best fanbase ever.

I lost almost complete faith for my thread after 4 months of support completely vanish even if we should still be hopeful.

So, for those who still believe, replace "Mario" by "Ridley":

So sad that I just want to listen to this now with what happened in my thread:

At least, Ridley is the small light hole in my dark sadness.

So, I want him even more now.

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
Let Mewtwo throw Ness into the Pyrosphere, Ridley's theme starts playing. The two veterans get close, looking all around them. Suddenly, Ridley drops down from the ceiling and roars, and he is confirmed playable. Then gameplay shows him absolutely destroying Ness and Mewtwo.
This exactly. Ridley utterly decimates the two.

That's not true, Captain Falcon was owning Lucina before Robin stepped in and Captain Falcon somehow got what I like to call "Pokemon Origins Mewtwo Syndrome".

It most likely was, I put out a video fairly recently on it.
That's true, but I meant newcomers usually end up looking superior to veterans. Though seeing how the good Captain was kicking Lucina's blue posterior all over the battlefield, she's the exception, but Ridley won't be. I could see Ness v. Mewtwo, and Ridley crashes in, thrashing both.

Protom

Smash Lord
NNID
Toonfearow
3DS FC
1521-4412-3019
You just can't give up hope until the game's release. That's all I'm saying.
*Journey starts playing*
♪Don't stop... believing!!!!!♫

Space Pirate Army/Ridley Supporters:
TitanTeaTime
Zawaz132
Glaqux
AuraShaman
Strider_Bond00J
Hidan
darksamus77
Shiliski
SuperSegaSonicSS

Anyone who wants to be added can just copy the list and continue it, you know ;]
It would help so that nobody is missed.
Put me up there too! Gotta support the ridster till the end!

bigbro2233

Smash Journeyman
Thank god I can say it before verdict:

I still believe firmly that Ridley is in as playable.

Same opinion as my 5 hours essay except [almost confirmed].

I can understand what happened yesterday, but I have to tell you something: You're the best fanbase ever.

I lost almost complete faith for my thread after 4 months of support completely vanish even if we should still be hopeful.

At least, Ridley is the small light hole in my dark sadness.

So, I want him even more now.
Ridley is the One who shall destroy the Darkness.

Ridley is the One who will save the Metroid series.

Ridley is the One who brings Light into Shadows.

Ridley is the Hidden Savior.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Ridley is the One who shall destroy the Darkness.

Ridley is the One who will save the Metroid series.

Ridley is the One who brings Light into Shadows.

Ridley is the Hidden Savior.
Really gotta question how far we're all gone when we're saying this about a mass murdering narcissist who thinks of everyone and anyone else as either tools or something to get rid of...oh My God...I just realized...I just realized that there's a character who's basically the human enbodiment of Ridley's personality:

They're literally the exact same person. :p If you've played the game, you'd fully understand what I mean. :p

Last edited:

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Really gotta question how far we're all gone when we're saying this about a mass murdering narcissist who thinks of everyone and anyone else as either tools or something to get rid of...oh My God...I just realized...I just realized that there's a character who's basically the human enbodiment of Ridley's personality:

They're literally the exact same person. :p
I bet he doesn't eat parents.
Is there some footage of this chap?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

They're literally the exact same person. :p If you've played the game, you'd fully understand what I mean. :p
I presume some BlazBlue or something, I wouldn't know

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist

Is his name Ridley? And is the woman Samus?

[collapse=Ermagawd]My inner artist is gushing over the colors and awesome style of this picture. :awesome:[/collapse]

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
MK lost gliding for an extra jump, so there is no reason to complain, and Ridley has slow air speed as seen with the shadow
Nah, Meta Knight still has his 6 jumps (5 mid-air.)

Who has the most jumps in Brawl? Isn't it Jigglypuff with around 8?
Jigglypuff, Kirby and Meta Knight all have 6 jumps, Dedede has 5 and Charizard has 4.

Last edited:

Xhampi

Smash Lord
Somehow it look like we just entered an alternate dimension, Dark Pit and Ridley aren't seen as disconfirmed by most people, the returning melee veteran is Dr Mario, Dixie Kong seems to be in before K Rool, Bowser Jr use his mechas instead of his paintbrush (my past 2011 self would be dying from hype, I called this), Impa is possible along Sheik and Shulk looks like a clone.

What is happening ? @.@

Last edited:

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
I bet he doesn't eat parents.
Is there some footage of this chap?
No, he basically murders them by turning them into lifeless doll-like robots because he can...yeah, this guy's off his rocker, but he keeps a level head. If you're looking for footage, sadly alot of said game's in-game cutscenes are copywritten, so there's very little to show. The least I can supply is his music:

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Somehow it look like we just enter an alternate dimension, Dark Pit and Ridley aren't seen as disconfirmed by most people, the returning melee veteran is Dr Mario, Dixie Kong seems to be in before K Rool, Bowser Jr use his mechas instead of his paintbrush (my past 2011 self would be dying from hype, I called this), Impa is possible along Sheik and Shulk looks like a clone.

What is happening ? @.@
The fact that you ask what is happening right after you described what is happening makes it all better.
But yeah, how are the detractors looking at Ridley now?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
No, he basically murders them by turning them into lifeless doll-like robots because he can...yeah, this guy's off his rocker, but he keeps a level head. If you're looking for footage, sadly alot of said game's in-game cutscenes are copywritten, so there's very little to show. The least I can supply is his music:

huh, I was right about Blazblue after all

ALL ABOARD THE SPIRIT TRACKS!

I'd post a larger image, but I couldn't find it any bigger. The irony

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
I love how the roster was leaked and we STILL have no idea if Ridley's in. I mean, that one leak and all said Ridley is in along with 3 others, and we know not all have been shown.

Ike the Killer

Smash Cadet
As long as I get:

-Flying/gliding somehow
-Spit fireballs and or/breath
THIS:

AND THIS:

Im totally happy xDDD

Also it would be epic as hell if I could hear this scream in the game (Image will explain everything xD)

Last edited:

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
The fact that you ask what is happening right after you described what is happening makes it all better.
But yeah, how are the detractors looking at Ridley now?
To answer that question, I'm still getting comments that Ridley's too Big, and have recently started getting comments that Ridley is deconfirmed and that I am a ***** for saying otherwise...in short, absolutely NOTHING has changed. Even if Ridley's playable, the next detractor argument is going to be "He's gonna be cut next game!"

Is his name Ridley? And is the woman Samus?

[collapse=Ermagawd]My inner artist is gushing over the colors and awesome style of this picture. :awesome:[/collapse]
Well...his name IS a 6-letter name that does start with "R" and that woman's name is only five letters and ends in "S"...does that count for anything?

Last edited:

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
To answer that question, I'm still getting comments that Ridley's too Big, and have recently started getting comments that Ridley is deconfirmed and that I am a ***** for saying otherwise...in short, absolutely NOTHING has changed.
Ah. I really shouldn't getting my hopes up of anything changing when some people legitimately believe that the footage is a Brawl hack despite everything else shown. We'll just have to wait for him then.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
To answer that question, I'm still getting comments that Ridley's too Big, and have recently started getting comments that Ridley is deconfirmed and that I am a ***** for saying otherwise...in short, absolutely NOTHING has changed.
Nothing has changed.... except that we saw the leaked roster and Ridley wasn't on it...
I want Ridley in the game too, but there comes a time to face reality.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Nothing has changed.... except that we saw the leaked roster and Ridley wasn't on it...
Uh, all-stars was locked. Characters are missing from the roster, so reality can go on a holiday. Ridley still has a chance.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Well...his name IS a 6-letter name that does start with "R" and that woman's name is only five letters and ends in "S"...does that count for anything?
Meh, Good enough. Still convenient, nonetheless.

Also this appears to had been ignored. Might have been for a reason. I'll post it again in case it wasn't intentional.

I know we talked about Alts for Ridley, but I wanted to bring this up. How many alts/costumes do you think we will get for Ridley? Providing one is his default (Purple), and three others would have to be Red, Blue, and Green (for team battles), how many more could we get? Also, please tell me what those colored costumes represents, as I'd like to know which game they came from. ^^
EDIT:

[collapse=Offtopic]
...Except I heard that Ridley, Mewtwo, Impa, Mach Rider, and Dixie Kong had been confirmed by the leaker, deciphered by 4Chan members.[/collapse]

Last edited:
Top Bottom