• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Read this in Jim Sterling's voice, please.

I feel that the reason why Yellow Devil didn't need any form of elaboration was because he was, here it comes, too big.
Ha ha, nice one Smile, 10/10 would eat again!

But yeah. Correct me if I'm wrong because I can't recall the PotD. Yellow Devil was shown on the stage, next to other characters, allowing us to compare sizes between them, and the first thing we can conclude is that Yellow Devil is far too big to be playable, being unable to even fit on certain platforms without having his legs stand on nothing. This isn't very likely to cause confusion, except for the most delusional madman (welcome to our humble thread by the way), and even then said madman would have to squint very hard, to the point of exclaiming an anguished "ow".

Now, if Yellow Devil had a character fanbase, maybe they would've clung on to their straws with all their might, as we did when Ridley was shown. Hell, let's swap these fanbases, Yellow Devil now has a Ridley-class fanbase with all the goods and bads and ugly people that come with it. What would our reaction have been, to see him like that? The detractors would be screaming "Too big!" from pretty much everywhere. Maybe we would still be hoping for an Alfonso-style boss swap, replacing Yellow Devil with Shadow Devil. Seems pretty likely. But other than that, we'd be clutching our little slimy yellow hearts in terror, waiting for that one direct to show him off and end our hopes and dreams. But Yellow Devil doesn't have a playabe character fanbase. Probably never has had one, either. No people to confuse.

Now, back to Ridley. They've shown him in "action", just like relaxed strolls could be considered "thrilling" and a game of blackjack could be "worthy of a Michael Bay". Flying animation with movement to the left, "braking" animation, floating animation which transitionlessly jumps back into the flying animation. A tailblade was shown too, but that wasn't important.
The only thing that implies bosshood is that little bit of text on the bottom of the screen. Many accepted that as Ridley's fate being sealed, but to us it meant jack snuff. We started to search for flaws, as if it was a leak. And I've been joking about this whole "delusion" thing, but we're not the only ones that start doing this. It's pretty much what all fanbases do. Remember how Chrom was totally not a Final Smash? Remember how they had to clarify Sablé's role because not seeing a banner on the website nor the fingers of his hand being fused together could tip them off? Hell, I've seen a few people still vouching for poor Rayman!

Ridley. We started to search for flaws, and boy howdy did we find them. Ridley has been shrunk for this installment of Smash, which is a very odd move indeed if you consider the fact that the stage is pretty roomy. Maybe our shadow math isn't entirely accurate, but it's reliant on the fact that shadows don't flip the frick out and shrink when stuff flies higher, and so far none of that has been observed so I'd say it's pretty safe to assume it is true. Ridley, not too big. Huh. That's a little odd. He also doesn't move like a boss either. Hell, his attack pattern is just as similar to the original games as a shrimp is similar to a woodchipper. Not bloody similar at all. Of course, those last ones can be handwaved away with a "oh but he wasn't finished at that time". The damage has been done though. We've got our hopes up, and the higher they are, the harder they fall. Welp, time to tell them the bad news...

Right?
Hello?
Any time now?

Now, I will admit, deconfirming him in the way Chrom and Sablé were deconfirmed isn't possible, the tweet deconfirmation. This is because those two have been shown off. In the trailer, Chrom was fully shown as part of a final smash. In the PotD, Sakurai talked about how Sablé would function as an assist trophy. Both weren't entirely clear so people got hyped up and other people had to bring them the bad news about their loved one(s). Ridley, however, wasn't shown clearly, with the intention of leaving people in the dark. It's clear he's being saved for later, either as a boss or as a character. THAT, however, is still not clear. This is why Yellow Devil didn't need clarification, and this is why us Ridley fans are BEGGING for one.

My question is, why goddamn Ridley? Because if he truly is a boss, then they've teased the wrong boss! Mind you, I admit this is kind of subjective, but you don't go and tease a boss with a huge playable character fanbase and then just go and sit on the information and tell us all the way at the end, after we have audibly made a whole fuss and got our hopes up (because they ARE aware of fan requests, and by the gods is it hard not to notice us), deconfirm him right before release. Perhaps if they did that a month later, yes. It would sting a lot, but I could understand that better. But now, or later? That isn't trolling, that is a kick in the nackers! It's...it's...it's passive assault is what it is! They'd be making us beat ourselves up over it! That isn't very nice!

Once again, what a frikking waste of time.

Last edited:

Zynux

Smash Lord
ugh... i got sick of hearing those two, i had to finally use the ignore button, or i was gonna start drinking enough alcohol to kill a whale. :facepalm:

this place is just as bad as gamefaqs and miiverse, now, with these detractors here... when i first came here, it was fun... ridley support everywhere, the hype was at its peak, and people here were likable.

now its no different than being subjected to ancient torture from having to listen to this arguing.

congrats, on ruining the thread.

i just wish it would all ****ing end.
I'm sorry, but this thread is not supposed to cater to you or anybody. This thread is for Ridley discussion, which includes ideas of playability and occasional objections on why it may not be possible. It's not supposed to be a circlejerk of just everyone goofing praising Ridley to the sun and shunning all those whom dare disagree. Yes, most people (myself included) are in favor of a playable Ridley (which is why this thread has an obvious skewed bias), but I would like to believe people here are rational enough to discuss differing opinions and ideas.

If you had to resort to ignoring a poster and rude hyperbole ("i was gonna start drinking enough alcohol to kill a whale?" :rolleyes:) just because you can't stand their opinions, then I have to wonder why you're even bothering discussing in this thread.

Seriously, from your posts it seems to me that you have a very tough time dealing with an opinion that deters from yours. All I can say is that you better get used to it :glare:

Last edited:

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
To be fair, who says that Ridley was starting to be worked on in the beginning of development? For all we know they could have started development on him fairly late.
Its a Nintendo game, gameplay is going to be the first thing to get done. In fact, the core gameplay was finalized in 2012, and the roster was decided even before that. Balancing of course is still being done, but thats a given and it will still be worked on post release. But any major gameplay alteration (say a stage hazard that every character must be able to defeat) could have happened before this year started. Sure, there is a chance they really left it for later, being only on WiiU after all, but frankly, the thing had a functional model early this year and back in august they were pretty confident about the functionality and aesthetics of the stage (they modeled the holes), just post a freaking PotD and be done with this.

Dracandros

Smash Cadet
SmilingMad just made my day because I watch Jim Sterling almost every week and outside of the dozen plus missing...words of flavorful color (there is also the "Thank God for me" part which I usually skip) that's really good.

There are so many possibilities for Ridley right now. I REALLY don't think he's just a stage hazard anymore. At least it feels like we will know a whole lot more soon enough.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
SmilingMad just made my day because I watch Jim Sterling almost every week and outside of the dozen plus missing...words of flavorful color (there is also the "Thank God for me" part which I usually skip) that's really good.

There are so many possibilities for Ridley right now. I REALLY don't think he's just a stage hazard anymore. At least it feels like we will know a whole lot more soon enough.
Y'know, we probably shouldn't be hoping for a playable character, because I feel that the stage boss scenario still is likely. What we should hope for, at the very least, is a good stage boss, one that properly encapsulates his personality and fighting style. I will be somewhat disappointed about it, but I would enjoy myself a good solid boss.

That said, I actually doubt the boss will be that great. They are supposed to pop up, harrass, and then vanish again or be defeated and grant three wishes to the person that punched the boss in the snout. They have to be able to be defeated by at least two people without being too problematic. Unless there is a health scaling mechanic that allows the bosses to take more punishment when more characters are involved, they aren't going to be spectacularly difficult.

Ike the Killer

Smash Cadet
Are the haters still out there? I heard another reddit SUPER ULTRA SPECIAL LEAK post put Ridley unplayable and they are coming once again

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Are the haters still out there? I heard another reddit SUPER ULTRA SPECIAL LEAK post put Ridley unplayable and they are coming once again
Oh, haters will always be here. But don't forget that they are what made us so big.
That and high-calorie snacks.

As for a special leak (as opposed to all your run of the mill boring leaks) nope, haven't heard of any.

Ike the Killer

Smash Cadet
Oh, haters will always be here. But don't forget that they are what made us so big.
That and high-calorie snacks.

As for a special leak (as opposed to all your run of the mill boring leaks) nope, haven't heard of any.

SUPER ULTRA SPECIAL LEAK SAYS:

To start things off:

>Ridley is not a playable character. He is indeed the boss of Pyrosphere, as was alluded to in the previous April direct. Sakurai will not mention him at all, you will have to see for yourself during gameplay; which means you will not see this until the Wii U version comes.

>King K. Rool is also not playable. He is only a trophy. Kremlings are in Smash Run, but that is about it. Dixie Kong is once again just a trophy this time around.

>There are 3 final newcomers that will not be announced, and instead will be secret newcomers, much like Lucario/R.O.B/Wolf/Toon Link were from Brawl. They are: Dark Pit, Shulk and Marshal. Dark Pit sports a completely different moveset from Pit, as well as utilizing different Uprising weapons for specials.

>Lucas, Ice Climbers, and Wolf are returning, and are not being removed. However, a special case must be made for Ice Climbers... Only one Ice Climber is returning, and that is Popo. Nana has been reduced to an alt costume. In return for going solo, the 'Ice Climber' has been buffed heavily, including a new Up B recovery using the condor.

>With that said, every veteran except Snake and Squirtle/Ivysaur are returning.

Source: SUPER ULTRA 4CHAN

And there was also some in reddit, I will check it now

PD: JUST ONE ICE CLIMBER ;D Someone smoke too weed, like with Shrek

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
Looks like every "leak" must have Shulk and Chrus Kids/Marshal as newcomers.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Funny, isn't it? Even in death, Gematsu influences people.

To start things off:

>Ridley is not a playable character. He is indeed the boss of Pyrosphere, as was alluded to in the previous April direct. Sakurai will not mention him at all, you will have to see for yourself during gameplay; which means you will not see this until the Wii U version comes.

>King K. Rool is also not playable. He is only a trophy. Kremlings are in Smash Run, but that is about it. Dixie Kong is once again just a trophy this time around.

>There are 3 final newcomers that will not be announced, and instead will be secret newcomers, much like Lucario/R.O.B/Wolf/Toon Link were from Brawl. They are: Dark Pit, Shulk and Marshal. Dark Pit sports a completely different moveset from Pit, as well as utilizing different Uprising weapons for specials.

>Lucas, Ice Climbers, and Wolf are returning, and are not being removed. However, a special case must be made for Ice Climbers... Only one Ice Climber is returning, and that is Popo. Nana has been reduced to an alt costume. In return for going solo, the 'Ice Climber' has been buffed heavily, including a new Up B recovery using the condor.

I'm taking the super legit looking one with the pictures thank you very much.
Also, single player Ice Climbers defeats the purpose and the playstyle of Ice Climbers.

Also, HERESY.

Last edited:

PeterJude

Smash Ace
This one seems like a complete mash together, all it's missing is the "and then DLC lolololololo", a duck hunt dog, and since people are getting used to that, maybe "Mr Game & Watch's sausages" as a newcomer. Don't worry though MG&WS will be standard on leaks by Friday.

Funny, isn't it? Even in death, Gematsu influences people.

I'm taking the super legit looking one with the pictures thank you very much.
Also, single player Ice Climbers defeats the purpose and the playstyle of Ice Climbers.

Also, HERESY.
The funny part is that the pictures seem the most fake of the lot. At least you can hide your mistakes by just saying "lol, got a detail wrong" in text, you can't hide a Brawl hack with some editing as an in game screen and various detail errors.

What I find odd is why fake leaks wouldn't bother to just throw Ridley and K Rool in to get the crowds on side and spread their gospel.

Last edited:

Ike the Killer

Smash Cadet
"Hey guys, I have just beaten Ridley without taking damage, both using and without using missiles. Ridley wants revenge, so he is confirmed at smash! WE MADE IT GUYS"

The sad thing about this sentence, is that it has the same chances/sense to be true than all the leaks xD So you can easily see what do I think about all these leaks. I never believed in Gematsu and I was right, yet people still cling to him and future invented leaks keep with the same. I still remember when first leaks pointed Ike was replaced by Chrom, now Chrom doesnt appear in any leak ofcourse, but he was everywhere before, that happens when possers/casuals make fake rosters and pretend to sell them like Leaks I guess.

I dont need a random guy to invent a leak and say Ridley is in, I believe he is in for much more serious reasons

Last edited:

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
This one seems like a complete mash together, all it's missing is the "and then DLC lolololololo", a duck hunt dog, and since people are getting used to that, maybe "Mr Game & Watch's sausages" as a newcomer. Don't worry though MG&WS will be standard on leaks by Friday.

The funny part is that the pictures seem the most fake of the lot. At least you can hide your mistakes by just saying "lol, got a detail wrong" in text, you can't hide a Brawl hack with some editing as an in game screen and various detail errors.

What I find odd is why fake leaks wouldn't bother to just throw Ridley and K Rool in to get the crowds on side and spread their gospel.
Because it makes them suspicious. It makes it seem exactly as if you are catering to the masses in an attempt to gain their support. Funny how it works, eh?
On the other hand, they do the exact same with the Gematsu three two four two.
That said, this is the wrong kind of leak talk. We really shouldn't be doing this.

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044
This discussion actually already took place at a pretty specific level a loooong many pages back, and it was confirmed that shadows in Smash 4 do not change in size depending on the distance to the ground.

They can be contour'd slightly depending on the angle of light, but there will be no size difference. Sorry you missed that.

@ Naglfarii Naglfarii is actually saying exactly what what I was saying earlier. It is simply not true that he has been "teased all year". All preceding hype for Ridley has been built up by the community since then.

It's the point where people begin to point the finger at Sakurai or their "marketing" and say things like "If Ridley isn't in they are stupid for doing what they did".

They didn't do anything.

You are over-observing a lack of information on Ridley to mean that he's somehow more important. The lack of information can be frustrating, but it is a pretty well known trait of human beings to go straight for conspiracy with an explanation. There must be an ulterior motive for everything.

Ridley was hinted at as a stage boss. We knew that figure in the direct was Ridley. They knew we would know, it was purposeful. What more does there need to be to it? Why do you need clarification? He basically gave you all the clarification you need, you just want more because it's not your ideal answer.

If he's playable, then hooray, but there is not some kind of marketing direction flaw here, or some kind of issue of poor handling of information output. You just want it to be.
So in short, we're all just fanboys in denial who will cling on to any evidence we can find, when in reality, there's nothing to support him being playable. In the end, we will have no one to blame but ourselves because we are a rabid delusional fanbase, and Nintendo is just untouchable and doesn't pay attention to fans...

I don't wanna sound rude, but you're sounding more and more like the typical detractor. :facepalm:

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, the thing with a picture leak is that there is no room for error. Getting a character/stage wrong kills it completely. Text only gives the leaker more room to manouver.

wizardto1

Smash Lord
NNID
waddledee3
3DS FC
1676-4166-2291
You know, one of the reasons I want Ridley is finally shut up the ignorant detractors instead of them reigning for another 6 years or some. -.-

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 245254

So in short, we're all just fanboys in denial who will cling on to any evidence we can find, when in reality, there's nothing to support him being playable. In the end, we will have no one to blame but ourselves because we are a rabid delusional fanbase, and Nintendo is just untouchable and doesn't pay attention to fans...

I don't wanna sound rude, but you're sounding more and more like the typical detractor. :facepalm:
That sure is a lot of strawman. I don't even know where to begin...

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Yeah, the thing with a picture leak is that there is no room for error. Getting a character/stage wrong kills it completely. Text only gives the leaker more room to manouver.
RIDLEY.

RIDLEY.

RIDLEY also yes no. Like I said, everyone does this, and while we might have fallacious arguments, our fallacious arguments are BETTER. And we have MORE of them than the others! Therefore, RIDLEY.

Waluigi is too big

Smash Journeyman
NNID
waluigi44

To start things off:

How can people believe this leak when it contradicts another leak that half of the boards think is real. If Pit is not a clone, then why is he in the clone corner.

D

Deleted member 245254

Warning Received
TBH I'd much prefer the better dragon, Dragonite over Ridley.

I mean, a piece of him was shown in a picture, and they haven't clarified that he isn't playable. Dragonite has been an iconic Pokemon since the series first released, he had a part in the very first Pokemon movie as Mewtwo's messenger, and Mewtwo was in a Smash Bros. game! He has consistently been a top tier Pokemon (with the exception of when Salamence temporarily reigned in on his parade in Hoenn times).

Clearly Dragonite has a chance. Probably as much chance as Ridley does. I mean, he hasn't been deconfirmed despite being shown.

Size is never cannon in Smash, and Dragonite is never portrayed as being that much bigger than even Bowser...so he's definitely not too big. He walks on two feet, and, heck, we have Charizard. Pokemon is also more popular than Metroid overall and has more financial influence, I'm sure.

Therefore, the evidence is clearly there that Dragonite will be playable. Don't try to tell me this isn't delusional. It's all there. Don't ignore it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Alright I need to clarify this: Yellow Devil: Shown at the end of Mega Man's trailer, we see it appear on stage, we see how it's about 4 Mega Men tall, and we see Mega Man jumping too the eye. Dark Emperor: Shown, bit less obvious to what it does, was shown being taller than WFT, a character who is quite tall, later, Sakurai states that he buffs people who defeat it, and we recieved an image of it being attacked. Ridley: Teased at, the only part of the model we saw was the tail tip, role not completely told, only stating boss exist on more stages, and is the only one of the 3 to have a fanbase. Yellow Devil is more known for his difficulty, Dark Emperor isn't known all too much, and Ridley is one of the most requested characters, known for his theme, ties with Samus, multiple boss fights that usually have something different everytime, and appears in more than 1 game. The Yellow Devil was blown up and there are different Devils, all fight similar, but they aren't the same! Dark Emperor, he only is in Streetpass Quest 2. Ridley is in all but 3 Metroid games and always returns

T-Hell

Smash Lord

I mean, a piece of him was shown in a picture, and they haven't clarified that he isn't playable. Dragonite has been an iconic Pokemon since the series first released, he had a part in the very first Pokemon movie as Mewtwo's messenger, and Mewtwo was in a Smash Bros. game! He has consistently been a top tier Pokemon (with the exception of when Salamence temporarily reigned in on his parade in Hoenn times).

Clearly Dragonite has a chance. Probably as much chance as Ridley does. I mean, he hasn't been deconfirmed despite being shown.

Size is never cannon in Smash, and Dragonite is never portrayed as being that much bigger than even Bowser...so he's definitely not too big. He walks on two feet, and, heck, we have Charizard. Pokemon is also more popular than Metroid overall and has more financial influence, I'm sure.

Therefore, the evidence is clearly there that Dragonite will be playable. Don't try to tell me this isn't delusional. It's all there. Don't ignore it.
.....You're kidding me, right?

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044
Yes, none of us can ever comprehend the vast knowledge you contain about Ridley's chances! We just think we're the darndest smartest people who know he'll be playable because of this and that! But NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! We just gotta be attacked by the true Einsteins because our stupidity knows absolutely no bounds! No one can just wait for Sakurai to inevitably destroy every single one of our dreams permanently! It's no wonder we get rediculed for fifteen years; IT'S BECAUSE WE CONSTANTLY CHASE A LOST DREAM THAT SHOULD'VE ENDED LONG AGO!!!

God, what's happening to me? I first came here thinking the evidence is working good for Ridley, and now I'm actually thinking of going back to being a bully detractor... I'm pathetic! :cry:

Last edited:

SmilingMad

Smash Lord

ALL HAIL DRAGONITE.
"He's too background!!!"

Ahem. Let's go back on topic now.
Alright I need to clarify this: Yellow Devil: Shown at the end of Mega Man's trailer, we see it appear on stage, we see how it's about 4 Mega Men tall, and we see Mega Man jumping too the eye. Dark Emperor: Shown, bit less obvious to what it does, was shown being taller than WFT, a character who is quite tall, later, Sakurai states that he buffs people who defeat it, and we recieved an image of it being attacked. Ridley: Teased at, the only part of the model we saw was the tail tip, role not completely told, only stating boss exist on more stages, and is the only one of the 3 to have a fanbase. Yellow Devil is more known for his difficulty, Dark Emperor isn't known all too much, and Ridley is one of the most requested characters, known for his theme, ties with Samus, multiple boss fights that usually have something different everytime, and appears in more than 1 game. The Yellow Devil was blown up and there are different Devils, all fight similar, but they aren't the same! Dark Emperor, he only is in Streetpass Quest 2. Ridley is in all but 3 Metroid games and always returns
Mind you, there is still that one chance regardless. He'd make for a very nice bait-and-switch with him playable and, say, Rhedogian as a boss, and considering Sakurai is apparently a troll I could totally see him doing that, but Ridley still has a good chance to be a boss.

Naglfarii

Smash Journeyman
...and yet, you keep posting the same stuff over and over, trying to tell us he's a boss, trying to make us think the same as you.

yeah, you're not trying to disprove ridley AT ALL. :rolleyes:

anyway, the PotD is interesting... classic mode looks much better.
well stop saying stupid stuff like omg ridley has been teased for a year, and I'll stop correcting you

PeterJude

Smash Ace
well stop saying stupid stuff like omg ridley has been teased for a year, and I'll stop correcting you
I know that trolls tend to avoid actual posts on the topic, but why do the trolls ignore my posts when going about repeating themselves? I love chatting with trolls, it's fun. So, let's start this again:

- Yes, they have teased him for a year
- All characters given a teasing treatment have been revealed playable
- The only character that has been given a similar treatment was Palutena, and she's confirmed in now
- Nintendo don't like false speculation from what they've given us, and this is evidence not only in Smash 4, but across the board
- As such it can be concluded that they wouldn't have let the speculation, which they should be more than aware of, fester for anywhere near this long if he wasn't playable
- We are yet to get any other character teased in a similar fashion who wasn't playable

There you go, you don't even need to actually read a full post, it's there in dot points. Discuss.

Last edited:

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
I know that trolls tend to avoid actual posts on the topic, but why do the trolls ignore my posts when going about repeating themselves? I love chatting with trolls, it's fun. So, let's start this again:

- Yes, they have teased him for a year
- All characters given a teasing treatment have been revealed playable
- The only character that has been given a similar treatment was Palutena, and she's confirmed in now
- Nintendo don't like false speculation from what they've given us, and this is evidence not only in Smash 4, but across the board
- As such it can be concluded that they wouldn't have let the speculation, which they should be more than aware of, for anywhere near this long if he wasn't playable
- We are yet to get any other character teased in a similar fashion who wasn't playable

There you go, you don't even need to actually read a full post, it's there in dot points. Discuss.
Alright, let's see.

- Yes, they have teased him for a year Nope! They have teased Ridley a year ago, and then they teased again in the April direct. They have not teased for a year. Semanticide or something!
- All characters given a teasing treatment have been revealed playable Yellow Devil, Phantom Knight.
- The only character that has been given a similar treatment was Palutena, and she's confirmed in now You forgot Little Mac, among others.
- Nintendo don't like false speculation from what they've given us, and this is evidence not only in Smash 4, but across the board I...guess so? I can't recall Nintendo doing it elsewhere but I don't care about elsewhere anyway.
- As such it can be concluded that they wouldn't have let the speculation, which they should be more than aware of, for anywhere near this long if he wasn't playable
Possible, yeah.
Yellow Devil, Phantom Knight. Unless you mean in the "not entirely shown, role not specified" fashion, and not "shown, role not specified".

PeterJude

Smash Ace
Alright, let's see.

- Yes, they have teased him for a year Nope! They have teased Ridley a year ago, and then they teased again in the April direct. They have not teased for a year. Semanticide or something!
- All characters given a teasing treatment have been revealed playable Yellow Devil, Phantom Knight.
- The only character that has been given a similar treatment was Palutena, and she's confirmed in now You forgot Little Mac, among others.
- Nintendo don't like false speculation from what they've given us, and this is evidence not only in Smash 4, but across the board I...guess so? I can't recall Nintendo doing it elsewhere but I don't care about elsewhere anyway.
Possible, yeah.
Yellow Devil, Phantom Knight. Unless you mean in the "not entirely shown, role not specified" fashion, and not "shown, role not specified".
- That's beyond the point of semantics
- How exactly did they tease Yellow Devil and Phantom Knight?
- Noted
- They mentioned "who said that was link" after the new Zelda trailer and quickly cleared up the confusion and controversy it was causing, not to mention the "is Link a girl?" speculation for one
- I was under the impression that Yellow Devil and Phantom Knight were quite clearly not playable at the time, maybe I should have a review of that

HohnTTD

Smash Cadet
My current thoughts on the whole Ridley thing are this;

He's referenced multiple times now, but never mentioned by name. Most we see of him is a shadow, so we know he's in the game in some form. Implied as a stage boss. Why not just directly state he is a stage boss, as he did with Yellow Devil?

Yellow Devil and and the Ultimate Ghost have both been shown on-screen with their roles clarified in Pics of the Day. Ridley is still nowhere to be seen. Not to mention every other disconfirmation, such as assist trophies, have been completely up-front and clear about what role the character has played. Nintendo even told IGN that Chrom was Robin's Final Smash, just to clear up any confusion.

Sakurai has also stated that he doesn't believe in generating false hype on a few occasions. So why not clarify the role of one of the most discussed and desired characters in the west?

So I see multiple outcomes to this scenario-

1. Ridley is a boss hazard. Sakurai Falsely believes we would like to see Ridley as a glorified pinata, generates hype with a shadow in the direct.
2. Ridley is playable, Sakurai has been playing with our expectations the entire time, something he has been known to do.
3. Ridley is playable, AND a stage hazard. Odd choice, but would make for a neat disconfirmation and immediate reconfirmation trailer, with Other M Ridley as a boss and a more classical styled Ridley playable, possibly.

Of course there could be other outcomes but one of these three seem most likely to me. I choose not to believe #1 is our outcome because I put more faith into Sakurai's judgement than that.

I will say though, with the recent CSS leak I feel as if Ridley's chances are lowered somewhat, not sure why I feel that way. I've already considered the real possibility he isn't playable and still think the roster leak, should it be real, will still be the greatest roster we've ever had and I'd be totally satisfied with it.

NK1046

Smash Apprentice
Alright, let's see.

Possible, yeah.
I'm assuming he meant that Ridley wasn't directly shown, and hasn't been mention by name yet. Palutena hasn't got her name said before confirmation (plus that pseudo stunt), nor was Little Mac's name. Yellow Devil and Phantom Knight were directly shown and had their names directly stated in pics of the day if I remember correctly. Although yeah other characters were teased like this before such as (like you said Little Mac and Pac-Man)

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
How exactly did they tease Yellow Devil and Phantom Knight?
Just shown without any further elaboration I think? People did start speculating on the Phantom Knight but I don't think many people thought it'd be playable.

I'm assuming he meant that Ridley wasn't directly shown, and hasn't been mention by name yet. Palutena hasn't got her name said before confirmation (plus that pseudo stunt), nor was Little Mac's name. Yellow Devil and Phantom Knight were directly shown and had their names directly stated in pics of the day if I remember correctly. Although yeah other characters were teased like this before such as (like you said Little Mac and Pac-Man)
Yeah, Ridley kind of remains as the odd-one out

Naglfarii

Smash Journeyman
You're just going to have to accept that not everyone likes to speculate or jump to intricate conclusions. Sometimes it's as simple as what is right in front of you.

You have to understand the concept of what we're preaching to actually be legitimately "tired" of it, and by this post, you don't seem to get it.

Me or Naf do not mind if he is playable, and for all intents and purposes, probably couldn't care less if it ends up happening that way. The part that compels us to intervene is when people start to talk about how the dev team is misleading them. Sakurai is "teasing" and creating fake hype, or he is "handling the Ridley situation poorly".

It's at that point it is not support anymore, you are bringing actual blame down on someone for your dream not becoming a reality. You are putting obligation on to someone who already does all the work to make the game to meet your needs with who you want in it. This is bitterness, and it affects everyone. Not just Ridley supporters or detractors. It's a symptom of whining/complaining that you aren't getting your way.
Yeah pretty much.

Actually ridley has always been one of my most wanted characters

This is my ideal roster but a lot of them I know are serious long shots (and I think I'm over golden sun actually)

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Dragonite was shown IN THE BACKGROUND, Ridley was shown on the same place as the fighters, Dark Emperor was also seen in the background and so was the Yellow Devil, even though it was after their disconfirmations.

Other than Ridley, what else was teased for a long time? Smash Run was shown in the E3 trailer, and was confirmed after what? 9-10 months?

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Alright, it would happen some time anyway without my intervention, so let me be the bringer of the off topic news, and let's NOT discuss it here: video footage of leak.

Do not discuss here. There is still hope for Ridley, I repeat, there is still hope.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 245254

Can someone please explain to me how showing his shadow once during a narration about "other" bosses counts as teasing him to be playable for a year? The one other time he was simply mentioned in words was even more implied to be a boss than the April direct showing was, in a way that basically can't be misconstrued.

There is no damn teasing for his playability! He has been referenced twice, once in writing talking about a Pyrosphere trait, the next in a clip during the bit about stage bosses.

In all forms of rationality this does not equate to Sakurai teasing Ridley as a playable character in any sense of the word, especially not for "a year"!

Stop using that as a supporting argument. It's false. It's %100 a mockery of fact.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Alright, it would happen some time anyway without my intervention, so let me be the bringer of the off topic news, and let's NOT discuss it here: video footage of leak.

Do not discuss here. There is still hope for Ridley, I repeat, there is still hope.
Oh well, it couldn't be ALL of the characters. Still, that Ganondorf looks exactly like in Brawl and not like on the render. Weird.

Can someone please explain to me how showing his shadow once during a narration about "other" bosses counts as teasing him to be playable for a year? The one other time he was simply mentioned in words was even more implied to be a boss than the April direct showing was, in a way that basically can't be misconstrued.

There is no damn teasing for his playability! He has been referenced twice, once in writing talking about a Pyrosphere trait, the next in a clip during the bit about stage bosses.

In all forms of rationality this does not equate to Sakurai teasing Ridley as a playable character in any sense of the word, especially not for "a year"!

Stop using that as a supporting argument. It's false. It's %100 a mockery of fact.
Just teasing. For year. Without any real answer (no, shadow doesn't counts, only deconfirmation exactly like Waluigi's, Dark Samus', Skull Kid's, etc, deconfirmation). We don't know as what exactly he was teased. That is the problem.

Last edited:

Naglfarii

Smash Journeyman
Warning Received
Obviously not getting dragonite but how could anyone pick him over garchomp anyway

Top Bottom