• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Morbi

Scavenger
We'd clearly blame ourselves for fooling us through this, but they also had multiple chances to avoid this needless speculation from happening.

I mean, the same man that stated that he doesn't like it when people make assumptions out of something he didn't say should at have at least clear everything up a bit to avoid this kind of situation, specially since it involves the fate of one of the most, if not THE most, requested characters of all time.

How exactly would could showing something as mundane and barely noteworthy as a stage hazard be considered "spoiling", specially in a series where the playable characters are the main priority?

I mean, sure, stage bosses may be kind of cool, but besides that, who really cares about them?
The more prominent crux of the argument: Sakurai cannot spoil what he objectively "revealed."

Showing Ridley as a boss hardly entails a spoiler if you just confirmed that he was a boss (and showed him... or his shadow off). However, he did not confirm Ridley as the boss. Hence we have this debacle.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
His job as a game designer isn't to spoil his entire game before it releases believe it or not
I don't really see how this relates to Ridley honestly. If he is a stage hazard he has already pretty much confirmed him as such, he just doesn't want to give the final word, which honestly makes little sense. This isn't something Sakurai is keeping behind locked doors because he doesn't want to spoil the entire game before it releases, that's a really minor thing to not reveal honestly, he's keeping it behind locked doors either to use the Ridley hype to keep up speculation even though he isn't in or to hype up Ridley, those are the only two options as far as I can see.

Morbi

Scavenger
I don't really see how this relates to Ridley honestly. If he is a stage hazard he has already pretty much confirmed him as such, he just doesn't want to give the final word, which honestly makes little sense. This isn't something Sakurai is keeping behind locked doors because he doesn't want to spoil the entire game before it releases, that's a really minor thing to not reveal honestly, he's keeping it behind locked doors either to use the Ridley hype to keep up speculation even though he isn't in or to hype up Ridley, those are the only two options as far as I can see.
It is not an either or fallacy, we cannot presume to understand Sakurai. He has his reasons, obviously we cannot discern them... but I highly doubt there are only two options.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Sakurai has clearly teased Ridley multiple times on purpose. He WANTS us to talk about him. He WANTS us to speculate.

Naglfarii

Smash Journeyman
I'm just saying this dude seems to think Sakurai's whole job is to post pictures of smash bros for him, and if he doesn't post the pics this guy wants then Sakurai is an incompetent game designer? Get a grip

Last edited:

PeterJude

Smash Ace
Sakurai has clearly teased Ridley multiple times on purpose. He WANTS us to talk about him. He WANTS us to speculate.
...and the only reason they'd do that is if he were a character. They don't like false speculation on characters, and they've been fanning these flames for over a year.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
His job as a game designer isn't to spoil his entire game before it releases believe it or not
Actually that's more of a marketing thing.

Honestly though, "spoiling his entire game" isn't a terrible idea.

I mean, various games have been entirely spoiled before release, and that didn't effect sales negatively. Street Fighter IV and all subsequent re-releases of Street Fighter IV have had their entire rosters spoiled, and they all did great sales-wise.

Morbi

Scavenger
...and the only reason they'd do that is if he were a character. They don't like false speculation on characters, and they've been fanning these flames for over a year.
Not necessarily, unless you can prove that assumption, it is just that... an assumption. It is certainly possible to speculate about a boss character (how they will function) and what ramifications that might have on the Metroid roster.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Indeed. You clearly have the ability to recount the events, I am asserting that it is not as relevant as you believe it is. Sakurai might clarify the roles of most characters we see; however, correct me if I am wrong, but it took quite some time for him to confirm Yellow Devil as a stage-boss hazard. In that event, there is a precedent that indicates that boss characters are somewhat treated differently than Final Smashes or assist trophies. There is a correlation, but you cannot prove that that correlation is material to Ridley's chance. So basically, your argument is founded on the arbitrary assumption of what you believe a reveal should entail. Sakurai, through the actions you have described, plainly disagrees with your opinion.

Your argument is null and void. You can use that as a reason that you support Ridley (in fact, that is the predominant reason I am confident in his inclusion); however, you cannot assert your subjective opinion as objective fact.

Sure it is weird that he only showed Ridley's shadow and ambigiously alluded to him. What the **** is your point?
I'm sorry if you thought I was making my statement sound like a fact. That wasn't intended. I was just going on what Sakurai presented us, nothing but speculation. What I stated is what you said, "arbitrary assumption". It doesn't mean that what I said is true, cause let's face it, Sakurai is unpredictable. I can't say "I'm right and your wrong" cause I know no more then anyone else about Ridley's true role. From what I seen Sakurai do during this whole time developing Smash 4, his ambiguous nature towards Ridley just feels like he might be playable. It may not be true and Ridley might be just a hazard, but from what I seen, I just see it the other way.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
View attachment 22940 My boy, back in the olden days of the Ridley thread, I believed him too small!
View attachment 22942
View attachment 22943 Those were dark times...
The shadow math is real guys, and honestly, it's actually making functional sense a little bit.

Just a little.

Still, shadows in games tend to be quite inaccurate and basic in design, including Smash. I wouldn't be surprised if Ridley's or any character's (playable or not) shadow were deceptively large or small.

Morbi

Scavenger
I'm sorry if you thought I was making my statement sound like a fact. That wasn't intended. I was just going on what Sakurai presented us, nothing but speculation. What I stated is what you said, "arbitrary assumption". It doesn't mean that what I said is true, cause let's face it, Sakurai is unpredictable. I can't say "I'm right and your wrong" cause I know no more then anyone else about Ridley's true role. From what I seen Sakurai do during this whole time developing Smash 4, his ambiguous nature towards Ridley just feels like he might be playable. It may not be true and Ridley might be just a hazard, but from what I seen, I just see it the other way.
Trust me, I agree. I certainly believe that Ridley is playable as well, but in no way is Sakurai's decision to not blatantly state that Ridley is a boss indicative of his inclusion. Basically, the notion is treated as evidence despite the fact that it is not evidence, it is our interpretation of the evidence.

Wise Multishine

Luminary
NNID
Omnireader
SackOfRice is holding out on us again. I better not have to stay up until 5 in the morning for some more music or Smash Run news. It's the last week of August for christ's sake.

This is how I feel right now:

Metaphors be damned.

Last edited:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
I'm just saying this dude seems to think Sakurai's whole job is to post pictures of smash bros for him, and if he doesn't post the pics this guy wants then Sakurai is an incompetent game designer? Get a grip
That's not the case at all.

The thing is, IF Ridley is a stage hazard, then Sakurai would have absolutely no problem to reveal him in a PotD out of nowhere, since he technically already "confirmed" he was one, and thus, all that's left to know about him is how he looks and behaves as one.

So why has a whole year passed since that supposed confirmation and we haven't even heard his name?

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
SackOfRice is holding out on us again. I better not have to stay up until 5 in the morning for some more music or Smash Run news. It's the last week of August for christ's sake.

This is how I feel right now.

Luigi's Nose Part 3... NOW FEATURING RIDLEY'S SHADOW!!!!

Morbi

Scavenger
That's not the case at all.

The thing is, IF Ridley is a stage hazard, then Sakurai would have absolutely no problem to reveal him in a PotD out of nowhere, since he technically already "confirmed" he was one, and thus, all that's left to know about him is how he looks and behaves as one.

So why has a whole year passed since that supposed confirmation and we haven't even heard his name?
I have the answer: Sakurai is not finished animating him yet, he is not ready to be shown. :troll:

You never know, even though we joke about it, it is not entirely outlandish. Possible, but not probable.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
I have the answer: Sakurai is not finished animating him yet, he is not ready to be shown. :troll:

You never know, even though we joke about it, it is not entirely outlandish. Possible, but not probable.
Yeah, working on one single stage hazard for more than a year certainly sounds plausible.

If you think the dev team is that incompetent, of course. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
I'm sorry if I came off as selfish and rude. Don't get me wrong, Sakurai is one of the greatest game designers I ever truly cared about. I never really knew who he really was until I saw the Smash Direct. He seemed like a nice person with a caring heart that really wants to please his fans. He seemed like the person who wants to give a great experience to the people playing his creations. And I'll say it, Smash Bros. is why I want to go into game design myself. Sakurai has really inspired me to be a great game designer like him.

When it comes to Smash Bros., I feel like whatever Sakurai chooses as Ridley's role in Smash 4, it was for the better. I personally wouldn't hate Sakurai for his choice, I'd just feel disappointed for the fans who really wanted their character playable for the game.

Zynux

Smash Lord
Yeah, working on one single stage hazard for more than a year certainly sounds plausible.

To be fair, who says that Ridley was starting to be worked on in the beginning of development? For all we know they could have started development on him fairly late.

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044

I don't know if I'd call them incompetent, but...

"Do you make video games?"

I can no longer live with myself knowing I used a quote against Ridley's favor.:crying: But yeah, it still strikes me suspicious that they would ever script a stage boss to slowly fly in the middle, stop, then fly off-screen...never at all attacking while he was present. Another thing that strikes me even more is that, if we only saw Pikachu and assume Ridley's a stage boss, then where's Player 2? Why not show someone like Samus walking with Pikachu?

This is just my opinion on the matter. You don't even need to bother proving me wrong, as I know I am.

Last edited:

Thermithral

Smash Journeyman
NNID
blahara
3DS FC
1375-7535-6452
Switch FC
6524 3241 3725

Game development is a sequence of steps. Model by model, texture by texture, animation by animation. More team members just means more modeling, at once. That does not effect the order which the models are made, the textures are applied and the animations are perfected. It is possible, that Ridleys model appeared later on their, to do list, so to speak, if it turns out he is nothing more then a glorified punching bag, on a stage full of liquid flame. I am still hopeful to his playable role, but I never understood that particular argument as we don't know what order Sakurais team works on these things., what their process is.

Last edited:

Zawaz132

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Zawaz132
Looks like the PotD is up, and guess what? There looks to be a new boss (or ending) that's harder than Master Hand! It's totes Ridley guys!
(And not possibly Crazy Hand) :troll:

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Looks like the PotD is up, and guess what? There looks to be a new boss (or ending) that's harder than Master Hand! It's totes Ridley guys!
Perhaps Ridley is Crazy Hand's boss if you go through Classic mode with Crazy Hand. Bosses need bosses too!

PotD is out. Thank you, Sakurai. For giving us information we already knew.

http://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAADMUKl-TDlkXg
At least we did not get information we already knew... pertaining to Ridley... as a boss character. :troll:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
PotD is out. Thank you, Sakurai. For giving us information we already knew.

http://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAADMUKl-TDlkXg
Well, at least it's not 4:00 - 5:00 am where I'm at and Sakurai posting that. ...Never again Friday's post, never again. Darn my spoilage and wanting some Smash news.

Tabuu Confirmed for Smash 4?

Hidan

Smash Apprentice
When Ridley is confirmed, somone should make a version of this with Squidward as Ridley, Squilliam as the haters, the band as the other playable characters, spongebob as Sakurai, the crying fans as Mewtwo and King K. Rool, and there should be Ridley banners everywhere. (I'd do it but I have no idea how to make edits like that. And I'm too lazy to learn.)
I'll get on it in the near future.

Also yay, another PotD that doesn't deconfirm Ridley!

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Alright, so I'd understand if development on the stage's actual gimmick started being worked on way later after the stage itself being revealed. A bit of an unorthodox schedule, but plausible nonetheless.

Still doesn't explain why they even bothered to show an incomplete asset in the game in action instead of revealing it once it's finished.

Also, is Ridley revealed yet? No? Jeez, this is getting out of hand...

(who's thing was that?)

Last edited:

Thermithral

Smash Journeyman
NNID
blahara
3DS FC
1375-7535-6452
Switch FC
6524 3241 3725
Alright, so I'd understand if development on the stage's actual gimmick started being worked on way later after the stage itself being revealed. A bit of an unorthodox schedule, but plausible nonetheless.

Still doesn't explain why they even bothered to show an incomplete asset in the game in action instead of revealing it once it's finished.

Also, is Ridley revealed yet? No? Jeez, this is getting out of hand...

(who's thing was that?)
This is not the first time Nintendo, or even Sakurai have shown incomplete assets. Look at the 2010 Kid Icarus Uprising trailer, some of the enemies didn't even have animations yet. Hell, technically Smash bros 3ds and wii u was announced, before the game even started development.

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
I'm not interested in disproving ridley beyond any shadow of a doubt.
...and yet, you keep posting the same stuff over and over, trying to tell us he's a boss, trying to make us think the same as you.

yeah, you're not trying to disprove ridley AT ALL. :rolleyes:

anyway, the PotD is interesting... classic mode looks much better.

D

Deleted member 245254

Another thing is that shadows get BIGGER the farther away the object is. So Ridley may be even smaller than that! Hopefully not tooooo small though. That would be pretty funny though.
This discussion actually already took place at a pretty specific level a loooong many pages back, and it was confirmed that shadows in Smash 4 do not change in size depending on the distance to the ground.

They can be contour'd slightly depending on the angle of light, but there will be no size difference. Sorry you missed that.

@ Naglfarii Naglfarii is actually saying exactly what what I was saying earlier. It is simply not true that he has been "teased all year". All preceding hype for Ridley has been built up by the community since then.

It's the point where people begin to point the finger at Sakurai or their "marketing" and say things like "If Ridley isn't in they are stupid for doing what they did".

They didn't do anything.

You are over-observing a lack of information on Ridley to mean that he's somehow more important. The lack of information can be frustrating, but it is a pretty well known trait of human beings to go straight for conspiracy with an explanation. There must be an ulterior motive for everything.

Ridley was hinted at as a stage boss. We knew that figure in the direct was Ridley. They knew we would know, it was purposeful. What more does there need to be to it? Why do you need clarification? He basically gave you all the clarification you need, you just want more because it's not your ideal answer.

If he's playable, then hooray, but there is not some kind of marketing direction flaw here, or some kind of issue of poor handling of information output. You just want it to be.

Last edited by a moderator:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Boss, Or Bosses?

I would like to bring back the attention of everyone, the possibility that each character has his or her own special final boss at the end of adventure mode.

RIVAL SYSTEM
http://smashboards.com/threads/rival-sytem.360932/

It could work a few way, either with Bowser as the end of each Mario character, and Mario as his final Boss. Or with Bowser and Mario as rivals, Peach and Rosalina, etc. It could have unlikely pairings fueding over strange things, such as Pacman and Kirby over eating contest.

...Or, it could just spoil Ridley, K Rool, and Mewtwo, as mere endings.

PeterJude

Smash Ace
This discussion actually already took place at a pretty specific level a loooong many pages back, and it was confirmed that shadows in Smash 4 do not change in size depending on the distance to the ground.

They can be contour'd slightly depending on the angle of light, but there will be no size difference. Sorry you missed that.

@ Naglfarii Naglfarii is actually saying exactly what what I was saying earlier. It is simply not true that he has been "teased all year". All preceding hype for Ridley has been built up by the community since then.

It's the point where people begin to point the finger at Sakurai or their "marketing" and say things like "If Ridley isn't in they are stupid for doing what they did".

They didn't do anything.

You are over-observing a lack of information on Ridley to mean that he's somehow more important. The lack of information can be frustrating, but it is a pretty well known trait of human beings to go straight for conspiracy with an explanation. There must be an ulterior motive for everything.

Ridley was hinted at as a stage boss. We knew that figure in the direct was Ridley. They knew we would know, it was purposeful. What more does there need to be to it? Why do you need clarification? He basically gave you all the clarification you need, you just want more because it's not your ideal answer.

If he's playable, then hooray, but there is not some kind of marketing direction flaw here, or some kind of issue of poor handling of information output. You just want it to be.
What people find interesting is that they showed anything at all, without flat out confirming exactly what they were doing.

They flat out showed Palutena as a statue and suggested that was her role in the game. Guess what, she's playable. They of course never mentioned her name, where have we seen that before?

Then there was Toon Link conducting the train. Oh noes, he must be out!! Wait no, he's confirmed playable, and he's just replaced in that level when he's playing on that level.

But wait, have they ever done anything ambiguous apart from that? Sure, and they've either immediately sorted it out (i.e. Chrom and all those assist trophies, i.e. Takamaru or Prince Sable) or it ends in a character reveal (i.e. Meta Knight or Palutena).

This is the thing though, Nintendo don't screw their fans around just to disappoint them. Yes, they showed a shadow that looked like Ridley, and you can sit on your imaginary high horse and pat yourself on the back about how clever you feel for taking obvious bait seriously (i.e. Palutena and Toon Link), or you might actually look at everything else in the picture and realise that if Ridley weren't playable they'd have just gone right ahead and showed him then and there. They don't want false speculation about something they've shown, and they've moved quickly in the past to end it, and not just in Smash 4.

Personally I don't even really care about Ridley, but it's pretty damn obvious this is where the discussion is, and this is why the discussion is interesting. Despite not really caring in Ridley is in or not though, if Nintendo have really been hyping one of the most wanted new characters (and a long term one too) as a stage hazard, they have already messed up their marketing before even teasing the awaiting fans. If he really is a stage hazard it may as well have been a giant middle finger, especially as it would be a Wii U exclusive Ridley, and Smash 4 for the 3DS would in fact be the first game since the original not to feature Ridley in some form (though they might find some downgraded peripheral role for him, who knows in that case).

Again, I couldn't care if we got 50 flavours of Pink Gold Peach as our roster, what I care about is the interesting playstyles and variety, but a lot of people live and breath the roster hype, and teasing one of the biggest subgroups like that would be disgusting. You never know what they planned, but I doubt they'd go against everything they do, and most notably, tease such a number just for giggles. If they genuinely think the Ridley fans would be happy with him being a glorified stage hazard, they categorically, have make a huge marketing mistake, and I seriously doubt if they realised this in development they wouldn't have just ended it then and there (when the speculation boiled over post the shadow) rather than saving the tears for release.

Another angle is again about Pyrosphere being a Wii U only stage of course. They can't keep the lack of Ridley secret until after the 3DS release, by which time it'll be damn obvious what'll happen. I also doubt that they'd waste any of these last POTDs or any final directs spending time of Wii U exclusive features (i.e. Ridley). The only conceivable reason to build up the hype here is to wait as long as possible (last days before release) and reveal Ridley to end a direct.

To be perfectly honest though I've got a bag of popcorn on standby if he does turn out to be a stage hazard.

Last edited:
Guys, I also realized that something special about the footage in boss direct. At 18:16 of of the Ridley's debate on youtube (
Ridley's Situation in Super Smash Bros for 3DS and WiiU) , there is an orange sphere shadow between Ridley's shadow. I am assumed that if Ridley really is a boss, why the plasma ball does not explode like it does in other m? Just like master hand or other bosses, some explosion (especially fire attack) should create spark (BIG ONE!) too. In other words, Ridley may really tease as boss character but he is actually a playable character

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
ugh... i got sick of hearing those two, i had to finally use the ignore button, or i was gonna be driven to drink...

this place is just as bad as gamefaqs and miiverse, now, with these detractors here... when i first came here, it was fun... ridley support everywhere, the hype was at its peak, and people here were likable.

now its no different than being subjected to ancient torture from having to listen to this arguing.

congrats, on ruining the thread.

i just wish it would all ****ing end.

trying to understand these detractors is like beating your head against a steel structure and wondering why it doesnt fall over.

one final time... because i am insane and apparently a masochist.

nintendo has jumped in and made 100% clear every. single. time. that NPCs... were NPCs.

they KNOW about the confusion and hype over ridley being playable... yet they do nothing... NOTHING. AT. ALL. to clear the air.

you detractors keep saying "blah blah blah you're just imagining it"... BULL SLUDGE!

theres NO REASON for them to not show ridley in a picture or something if he is just a boss and nothing else... there is no reason for them to simply say "ridley is unplayable" on twitter, or something.

yet you guys do not listen to these facts... you ignore them, and expect us to listen to you.

plenty of us are aware of the fact that ridley MAY NOT BE PLAYABLE... these are called DOUBTS... we all have them... but you simply are NOT happy with that, you are DETERMINED TO CRUSH OUR HOPE!

you say that you arent, but that is obviously a blatant lie... otherwise, you would not be here... you arent supporters... and you do nothing else but argue with us... there is no friendly discussion here.

i wanted to use a VERY accurate metaphor here to compare the two sides... but i just know every mod would be on my ass within a minute of posting it... so forget it.

also, it irritates me even more when the detractors say "i'd LIKE ridley to be playable" ...that is the biggest load of crap i've ever read.

that is simply a safety net you can fall into if ridley is confirmed playable... and it shows you guys cant stick by your guns, and you are also suffering doubts toward your arguments.

anyway... i've had enough... i wanted to get this off my chest, and now i am done.

i'll just lurk until things calm down, or the thread is closed from having another 400-500 pages of nothing but arguments against the same handful of people saying the same things and refusing to admit that they are here only to irritate others, and dont completely believe what they're preaching.

i dont THINK i broke any rules with my final thoughts... but if i did, well... nothing i can do about that, cause this is the absolutely tamest i can possibly put these thoughts... if i talked how i really feel right now, i'd completely redesign the english language in my own colorful way.

Last edited:

Zawaz132

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Zawaz132

I tried to catch up on this thread a bit, but yeah, I can't read or even remember 1658 pages of Ridley discussion. =p
I also know making shadows change size is quite the unnecessary task for programmers, so I should have figured they wouldn't make shadows change when characters jumped. But point being, the model that cast the Ridley shadow on pyrosphere isn't going to be be bigger than the shadow.

D

Deleted member 245254

ugh... i got sick of hearing those two, i had to finally use the ignore button, or i was gonna start drinking enough alcohol to kill a whale. :facepalm:

this place is just as bad as gamefaqs and miiverse, now, with these detractors here... when i first came here, it was fun... ridley support everywhere, the hype was at its peak, and people here were likable.

now its no different than being subjected to ancient torture from having to listen to this arguing.

congrats, on ruining the thread.

i just wish it would all ****ing end.
You're just going to have to accept that not everyone likes to speculate or jump to intricate conclusions. Sometimes it's as simple as what is right in front of you.

You have to understand the concept of what we're preaching to actually be legitimately "tired" of it, and by this post, you don't seem to get it.

Me or Naf do not mind if he is playable, and for all intents and purposes, probably couldn't care less if it ends up happening that way. The part that compels us to intervene is when people start to talk about how the dev team is misleading them. Sakurai is "teasing" and creating fake hype, or he is "handling the Ridley situation poorly".

It's at that point it is not support anymore, you are bringing actual blame down on someone for your dream not becoming a reality. You are putting obligation on to someone who already does all the work to make the game to meet your needs with who you want in it. This is bitterness, and it affects everyone. Not just Ridley supporters or detractors. It's a symptom of whining/complaining that you aren't getting your way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom