• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Cpt.

Smash Lord
Not directly. A plethora of other leaks (which may or may not just be playing off this one, or vice versa) mention Ridley and a few others.

The Ninka leak, I think it was called was the one known about for months, and had a lot of stuff currently seen on the latest image leaks (right down to ICs being cut, B. Jr in his car, etc.). Sometime shortly after someone added to it saying Ridley, Dixie, Chorus Men and Mewtwo were also in. Since then a bunch of similar leaks have been brought up, all basically being the same give or take a few names (Impa/Mach Rider/etc.)

Nothing much/no physical evidence pointing to Ridley. But nothing pointing against him either.
Can you explain how the leak hints at Ridley? I just read the whole thing and the only mention of him was where they pointed out the leaked characters at the bottom. Maybe I missed something?

RidleyDX

Smash Ace
Not directly. A plethora of other leaks (which may or may not just be playing off this one, or vice versa) mention Ridley and a few others.

The Ninka leak, I think it was called was the one known about for months, and had a lot of stuff currently seen on the latest image leaks (right down to ICs being cut, B. Jr in his car, etc.). Sometime shortly after someone added to it saying Ridley, Dixie, Chorus Men and Mewtwo were also in. Since then a bunch of similar leaks have been brought up, all basically being the same give or take a few names (Impa/Mach Rider/etc.)

Nothing much/no physical evidence pointing to Ridley. But nothing pointing against him either.
Actually the other leak your talking about, the one with Ridley in it, came before the Ninka leak became "credible" This one right?
http://archive.moe/v/thread/255219896/

I'am paraphrasing the second post on the actual thread so you can check out for yourselves. I think it helps Ridley if this leak legit.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
So I did some things because reasons.
Ridley is cool
Is that the freaking Blues Clues guy?
...I-Is that the FREAKING Blues Clues guy!?
Srs o=o
I just can't stop laughing. Now the detractors are getting desperate. Listen to this while you read this comment:

Needs more City Escape.
Only Sped Up x5.
View attachment 22929

Often the Internet can be just...
Birdley = Best Censor.

hotcrumpets

Smash Journeyman
Actually the other leak your talking about, the one with Ridley in it, came before the Ninka leak became "credible" This one right?
http://archive.moe/v/thread/255219896/

I'am paraphrasing the second post on the actual thread so you can check out for yourselves. I think it helps Ridley if this leak legit.
I believe that leak came out before the ninka and vaanrose leaks, infact it was the reason they shared their info.

Last edited:

Naglfarii

Smash Journeyman
I don't think that's the way to approach it at all.

The content of the game isn't going to change practically at all whether he is in or not.

The fact that a company couldn't deliver on all hopes and dreams isn't an issue either because it's expected and it happens.

Their conduct if Ridley is not in the game is not professional, not considerate, and does not help the overall franchise in any way. You don't riot to show that you dislike something anyway - you handle things with professionalism and allow for everyone to be heard in a civil manner. What I'm not going to do is do nothing because they do listen to feedback and criticism.

EDIT: I mean playable when I say "in the game". My bad. We have to wait and see anyway.
they've been totally professional it's not their fault people got hyped over ridley when they've been teasing him as most likely a boss

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Another thing is that shadows get BIGGER the farther away the object is. So Ridley may be even smaller than that! Hopefully not tooooo small though. That would be pretty funny though.
a28.png
My boy, back in the olden days of the Ridley thread, I believed him too small!
size compare copy.png

a21.png
Those were dark times...

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
Wow... so everywhere else people are thinking he's too big but here we're thinking he might be too small
sweet, sweet irony

Last edited:

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
Hey, did you guys see this yet? Someone found the size of Ridley. (The one in the direct)

http://www.reddit.com/r/Metroid/comments/295a48/so_i_tried_finding_ridleys_size_in_the_next_smash/
Pretty good stuff here. It'll be interesting to see how Sakurai will make Ridley's size suitable for playability. I'm sure he will be able to make Ridley work effectively.

It would be interesting if the Ridley that ends up in the game(what ever his role ends up to be) ends up as the size this guy claims.
I like your Luffy and Jinbe avatar.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Wow... so everywhere else people are thinking he's too big but here we're thinking he might be too small
sweet, sweet irony
a02.png
Well, more I believed he was Pikachu-sized and everyone, even people here were calling me crazy.
e05.png
BUT WHO'S CRAZY NOW!?
a12.png
Still me.

MischF

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TrueMischF
they've been totally professional it's not their fault people got hyped over ridley when they've been teasing him as most likely a boss
The problem comes in with misconception either for Ridley as a stage boss or as a playable character. If a good amount of people are able to believe Ridley is being hinted at as playable while another good amount of people are able to believe Ridley is being hinted at as a stage boss, then there was a great misunderstanding somewhere along the line. With a misunderstanding of that large of a caliber you think they would clear it up regardless of what the outcome is whether that being mentioning his status as playable or stage boss.

It's honestly the strongest reason I believe he is playable. I feel like if he was a stage boss they would want to correct the confusion before it got too out of hand where as if Ridley is to be playable they would want to draw it out to gather people's attention and then announce him on their own terms.

Which is why it is understandable for people to be upset at all the teasing if he doesn't make it as a playable character. The problem isn't that these teases make Ridley seem playable. It is that these teases make people believe Ridley could be playable and build up hype.

It's just a questionable choice on Sakurai's part to drag this out so long. It will definitely leave a sour taste in some people's mouths.

Naglfarii

Smash Journeyman
The problem comes in with misconception either for Ridley as a stage boss or as a playable character. If a good amount of people are able to believe Ridley is being hinted at as playable while another good amount of people are able to believe Ridley is being hinted at as a stage boss, then there was a great misunderstanding somewhere along the line. With a misunderstanding of that large of a caliber you think they would clear it up regardless of what the outcome is whether that being mentioning his status as playable or stage boss.

It's honestly the strongest reason I believe he is playable. I feel like if he was a stage boss they would want to correct the confusion before it got too out of hand where as if Ridley is to be playable they would want to draw it out to gather people's attention and then announce him on their own terms.

Which is why it is understandable for people to be upset at all the teasing if he doesn't make it as a playable character. The problem isn't that these teases make Ridley seem playable. It is that these teases make people believe Ridley could be playable and build up hype.

It's just a questionable choice on Sakurai's part to drag this out so long. It will definitely leave a sour taste in some people's mouths.
Tbh while I'd like ridley, the fact that many people think he's being hinted at being playable speaks only to how badly he's wanted. All the hints point clearly to stage hazard, only inferences based on things like "well he hasn't been disconfirmed" suggest he could be playable.

You can't say they've been teasing ridley as playable because they just haven't at all

Last edited:

MischF

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TrueMischF
Tbh while I'd like ridley, the fact that many people think he's being hinted at being playable speaks only to how badly he's wanted. All the hints point clearly to stage hazard, only inferences based on things like "well he hasn't been disconfirmed" suggest he could be playable.
Honestly I don't see the teases really pointing in either direction. They just seem like teasing Ridley as actually being in the game to me. Whether or not that be teases for a stage boss or playable. Personally I only believe in Ridley because it is odd for them to let such a confusion sustain this long and it wouldn't make much sense to hype up a stage boss in my opinion. Especially after seeing the disappoint many people had in Yellow Devil. After the disappoint in Yellow Devil at E3, I figured if Ridley was a stage boss they would have either tried to redeem that aspect by revealing him or reveal him considering the announcement would not be as great as they thought.

Naglfarii

Smash Journeyman
Honestly I don't see the teases really pointing in either direction. They just seem like teasing Ridley as actually being in the game to me. Whether or not that be teases for a stage boss or playable. Personally I only believe in Ridley because it is odd for them to let such a confusion sustain this long and it wouldn't make much sense to hype up a stage boss in my opinion. Especially after seeing the disappoint many people had in Yellow Devil. After the disappoint in Yellow Devil at E3, I figured if Ridley was a stage boss they would have either tried to redeem that aspect by revealing him or reveal him considering the announcement would not be as great as they thought.
Sakurai: there are other bosses too!
Ridley shadow appears.

Yeah totally doesn't lean either way.

If people were cautiously pessimistic as they should be in this situation, then they can be delighted if he's in but not heartbroken if he's not.

Otoh if you convinced yourself he was in and 3 weeks from now it turns out he's a boss and youre crushed, Imo, you only have yourself to blame for that. You can't blame Nintendo or sakurai for leading you on, they haven't

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist

You can't say they've been teasing ridley as playable because they just haven't at all
Well, that would be likely thinking, if only Sakurai didn't go out of his way to give the role to revealed characters. if he never stated deconfirmed characters roles, Yellow Devil being a stage hazard, Chrom, Ghirahim, Prince Sable, and many others being Assist Trophies, THEN we couldn't make assumptions. But because his stated BY NAME who's confirmed and who's not, Ridley not getting this treatment gives reasons to think he might not be a stage hazard.

Poopmin

Smash Ace
NNID
HotelMario
Sakurai: there are other bosses too!
Ridley shadow appears.

Yeah totally doesn't lean either way.

If people were cautiously pessimistic as they should be in this situation, then they can be delighted if he's in but not heartbroken if he's not.

Otoh if you convinced yourself he was in and 3 weeks from now it turns out he's a boss and youre crushed, Imo, you only have yourself to blame for that. You can't blame Nintendo or sakurai for leading you on, they haven't
You know who else a bunch of people thought was playable even thought all signs pointed to NPC?

Chrom.

You know who was flat out disconfirmed when confusion arose?

Chrom.

Naglfarii

Smash Journeyman
Well, that would be likely thinking, if only Sakurai didn't go out of his way to give the role to revealed characters. if he never stated deconfirmed characters roles, Yellow Devil being a stage hazard, Chrom, Ghirahim, Prince Sable, and many others being Assist Trophies, THEN we couldn't make assumptions. But because his stated BY NAME who's confirmed and who's not, Ridley not getting this treatment gives reasons to think he might not be a stage hazard.
I get that reasoning but ridley hasn't actually been revealed yet unlike those characters. My point is not to disprove ridley, it's that you're inferring here, you can't say sakurai has been teasing you or causing confusion, that's really on yourself if it turns out ridley is only a hazard

Top Bottom