• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

NeraBriscoletti

Smash Cadet
NNID
Dragon_Quester72
3DS FC
0232-8277-7597
Maybe you've all thought of this already and I'm just a :079:, but supposedly an "enemy from Samus' past" appears on Pyrosphere, right? That must mean...Adam Malkovich is the Pyrosphere stage boss! He's from Samus' past, and he's pretty villainous when you think about how he contributed to the decline of the franchise.

Nintendo was sorry for Other M, so they wanted to give us an opportunity to have Samus beat up on Adam. It all makes perfect sense. They also gave us playable Ridley.
...I love you Nintendo... Please marry me.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
People focus so much on the movement of the Ridley in the direct...

The fact of the matter is it was choreographed. They took Pikachu and their model of Ripley and put on a brief show just to hype you up about his appearance on Pyrosphere. You can logically deduce that he won't move the way he did in that short clip. Hell that's the reason we haven't seen Pyrosphere in action yet, they were probably still in the process of touching up his mechanics, or rather his entire existence. Maybe at the time of the direct all they had was his model.
Wait, what?

The Pyrosphere was revealed just last year. They've been working on this game since 2012. You're not seriously suggesting that the stage (and Hazardly) still isn't finished yet?

Whatever they had in the clip, it was most likely completed at that point. It's only a matter of time when they stop beating around the bush and stop this madness.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Wait, what?

The Pyrosphere was revealed just last year. They've been working on this game since 2012. You're not seriously suggesting that the stage (and Hazardly) still isn't finished yet?

Whatever they had in the clip, it was most likely completed at that point. It's only a matter of time when they stop beating around the bush and stop this madness.
Well, complete about the core features maybe, but still some small tweaks left possibly.

I mean pyrosphere looked finished and they changed the lava in the fd version.

But still, your point stands that it would be complete enough to be shown anyway.

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey

The fact of the matter is it was choreographed. They took Pikachu and their model of Ripley and put on a brief show just to hype you up about his appearance on Pyrosphere. You can logically deduce that he won't move the way he did in that short clip. Hell that's the reason we haven't seen Pyrosphere in action yet, they were probably still in the process of touching up his mechanics, or rather his entire existence. Maybe at the time of the direct all they had was his model.
Even if they just had a model, they could've just shown that in a pic of the day since those are just static.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 245254

Wait, what?

I'm not saying it isn't completed now, obviously, but it might not have been back during the direct.

Hell Sakurai just gave us a PoTD of content just recently finished that he didn't think would get finished (the ZSS costumes).

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Well, complete about the core features maybe, but still some small tweaks left possibly.

I mean pyrosphere looked finished and they changed the lava in the fd version.

But still, your point stands that it would be complete enough to be shown anyway.
I believe that whatever we saw of the shadow in that clip is what we'll be seeing how Ridley will act in-game, playable or otherwise.

It's hard for me to say exactly what was the deal about the FD Pyrosphere, but I always knew that there was more to the stage than what Sakurai was implying.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord

Except it isn't a fact, it's conjecture. Well, it was obviously choreographed but it still doesn't say anything about his role.

What I am curious to is that, if he turns out to be a boss anyway, why in the name of every major and minor god they chose Ridely as the boss to tease. They're more aware of the fanbase now, they know what we want.

Gooper Blooper

Smash Apprentice
Heck at this point I'm expecting Sakurai to be like, "SUPRISE!!! Ridley won't be playable because no one is playable. Sm4sh was a joke and we never actually made the game!!"

CrowGoesCaw

Smash Journeyman
I'm getting pessimistic again

First off, if there is a hazard on the pyrosphere, it's definitely Ridley, not some other Other M enemy. that sounds like major straw grasping to me.

Second, I doubt Ridley will be both a boss and playable. If he's a hazard, that's it. More than that feels like straw grasping again.

Thirdly, I feel like if he isn't shown off before the 3DS release, he's gonna be the hazard. I have no facts for these, but it's what my brain is putting together from all the evidence thus far.

But it really doesn't change anything, still have to wait the 3 weeks... I really hope there's a newcomer next week. Also that the newcomer is Ridley.

While I agree that if Ridley isn't revealed before the 3ds release, his chances are grim, I also doubt they'd reveal him before the last two weeks before release. You want to reveal early on newcomers that'll hype the game (like megaman) and at least one before release (Ridley perhaps even with decloned Ganondorf?)

It's not 100%, but I won't be worrying too much unless we're on the verge of the release with no signs of a newcomer trailer. There are still plenty of awesome characters to add (K. Rool/Shulk?), but I mean, what other realisticly possible high hype characters are left?

Gooper Blooper

Smash Apprentice
While I agree that if Ridley isn't revealed before the 3ds release, his chances are grim, I also doubt they'd reveal him before the last two weeks before release. You want to reveal early on newcomers that'll hype the game (like megaman) and at least one before release (Ridley perhaps even with decloned Ganondorf?)

It's not 100%, but I won't be worrying too much unless we're on the verge of the release with no signs of a newcomer trailer. There are still plenty of awesome characters to add (K. Rool/Shulk?), but I mean, what other realisticly possible high hype characters are left?
Navi

D

Deleted member 245254

If Ridley's not playable, I'd love to see an interviewer ask Sakurai on why the hell he tiptoed on his presence for over a year since he revealed the stage. He deserves to be punched in the face for dragging us out this long.
You see this is the problem I have with Ridley obsessives.

He didn't tiptoe the Ridley as a playable character. He didn't tease you or hype him to be playable. That's purely on you and the community. You did it to yourself and everyone else.

You made a single showing at the direct to be more than what it actually was. You did that. Not Sakurai.

It seriously makes me confused as hell when people who want Ridley to be in say things like "Why would Sakurai tease him like this, then not put him in?" or "Sakurai would have to be stupid to do the teasing he did then not put him in".

HE DIDN'T TEASE RIDLEY AS A PLAYABLE CHARACTER NOR DID HE FREQUENTLY TEASE HIM. HE SHOWED HIM ONCE, JUST HIS SHADOW, AT THE APRIL DIRECT WHILE TALKING ABOUT OTHER STAGE HAZARDS ASIDE FROM THE YELLOW DEVIL.

Seriously, once the entire roster is finally out and Ridley is rightly no where to be found on it, I will be in here saying "I told you so". They will be the most glorious and gratifying "I told you so"s that I've ever given in the history of "I told you so"s.

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
Heck at this point I'm expecting Sakurai to be like, "SUPRISE!!! Ridley won't be playable because no one is playable. Sm4sh was a joke and we never actually made the game!!"
So they made just demos to show at the important events and that's all? That's messed up.

Calm down, guys. I know things are looking grim, but there's a Direct on its way and we'll know the truth really soon.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord

He didn't tiptoe the Ridley as a playable character. He didn't tease you or hype him to be playable. That's purely on you and the community. You did it to yourself and everyone else.

You made a single showing at the direct to be more than what it actually was. You did that. Not Sakurai.

It seriously makes me confused as hell when people who want Ridley to be in say things like "Why would Sakurai tease him like this, then not put him in?" or "Sakurai would have to be stupid to do the teasing he did then not put him in".

HE DIDN'T TEASE RIDLEY AS A PLAYABLE CHARACTER NOR DID HE FREQUENTLY TEASE HIM. HE SHOWED HIM ONCE, JUST HIS SHADOW, AT THE APRIL DIRECT WHILE TALKING ABOUT OTHER STAGE HAZARDS ASIDE FROM THE YELLOW DEVIL.

Seriously, once the entire roster is finally out and Ridley is rightly no where to be found on it, I will be in here saying "I told you so". They will be the most glorious and gratifying "I told you so"s that I've ever given in the history of "I told you so"s.
Hey, no need to make such a fuss about it.

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo

A year and 3 days ago, a legendary potd was posted. It was the day of the 50/50 seal

Gooper Blooper

Smash Apprentice
So they made just demos to show at the important events and that's all? That's messed up.

Calm down, guys. I know things are looking grim, but there's a Direct on its way and we'll know the truth really soon.
The Smash is a lie

On a different note I don't understand why some people want so badly to deconfirm Ridley seemingly just to spite people who want him.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
aw snap son it looks like a debate is among us again

Edit:

Ok then, how 'bout this. With every single disconfirmation of every character mentioned, Ashley, Waluigi, Prince Sable, Viridi, Takamaru, (the most recent) Girahim, and many, MANY others who was deconfirmed BY SAKURAI, why is Ridley the ONLY CHARACTER TO NOT GET A DECONFIRMATION NOTICE right when Ridley was "revealed" to avoid confusion, as previously done to other non-playable characters? Care to explain that?

Last edited:

CrowGoesCaw

Smash Journeyman

While people can be a bit zealous in their support of Ridley, that Nintendo hasn't come out and outright deconfirmed him as playable when at the very least NA Nintendo is acutely aware of the theorising and support for him as playable, is odd. I'd be supprised if Japan Nintendo wasn't also aware.

BrigadeStuart

Smash Journeyman
"gasp" ladies an gentlemen...our contestant today...is using the same excuse as the previous ones

honestly it feels like someone keeps pressing the replay button on these debates

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
Famitsu implied that Dark pit was a boss to, so it means nothing on Ridley's chances because most likely they have no idea and both are going to be playable.
How did they teased Dark Pit if I may ask?
@Zipzo Good thing you will never get the chance of saying it:awesome:

Last edited:

HurricaneMarth

Smash Cadet
If the Metroid series equivilent to Bowser is not playable, then Sakurai might as well make all iconic villains as hazards..even Bowser himself

BindingBlade

Smash Lord
If the Metroid series equivilent to Bowser is not playable, then Sakurai might as well make all iconic villains as hazards..even Bowser himself
I absolutely love Metroid (favorite series outside of Kid Icarus and Smash) and Ridley is the next best character option but I have to point out that Ridley isn't the "Bowser" of the Metroid series.

Gooper Blooper

Smash Apprentice
Sakurai, "I made Ridley a stage hazard. Also I decided to turn all other villains in the game into stage hazards too. And all the heros into assist trophies. Except the Kid Icarus characters! I hope you enjoy Super Smash Icarus!!"

NeraBriscoletti

Smash Cadet
NNID
Dragon_Quester72
3DS FC
0232-8277-7597

Please, calm down... There is no reason to say something like that. Also, Ridley is in this game...

Please make what you're trying to say more clear. At least say he won't be playable if that's what you mean.

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
How did they teased Dark Pit if I may ask?
@Zipzo Good thing you will never get the chance of saying it:awesome:
Either he is an alt costume or he's playable. In the latter he was teased in Pits trailer, in the former it doesn't change anything because pallette-swaps have not been explicitly said to be paletteswaps ever. Its not like you see that black kirby we just got and think it is a new character.

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
Ridley mentioned again, what do you guys think?

it seems to be him they're referring to in the description.

Edit: @CliffJumper had this first, he posted it in the social thread

Last edited:

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
Either he is an alt costume or he's playable. In the latter he was teased in Pits trailer, in the former it doesn't change anything because pallette-swaps have not been explicitly said to be paletteswaps ever. Its not like you see that black kirby we just got and think it is a new character.
I'm asking because that would mean that If Ridle is playable, Dark Pit will sadly have his own slot

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman
I absolutely love Metroid (favorite series outside of Kid Icarus and Smash) and Ridley is the next best character option but I have to point out that Ridley isn't the "Bowser" of the Metroid series.
Considering he's the recurring villain Samus always fights no matter who the one pulling the strings is....

Top Bottom